Божият-шпионин

Божият-шпионин (Father Anthony Fowler #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,357 ratings  ·  179 reviews
(from the back cover)

Pope John Paul II is dead, and 115 cardinals are called to Vatican in order to elect the new Pope. With Rome under siege to foreign press and thousands of mourners, the last thing it needs is a serial killer on the loose...

Paola Dicinti is a profiler who works with the Italian police - but so far all her experience of serial killers is theoretical. Tha...more
400 pages
Published 2008 by Bard (first published December 31st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Божият-шпионин, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Божият-шпионин

Tea Jovanović
Veoma sam ponosna na ovu knjigu i prevodilicu... Našla je autoru materijalne greške koje su u prevodu dopravljene (uz blagoslov i zahvalnost autora naravno)... :) Španci zaista imaju dobre romane ovog tipa...
Kathryn Periwinkle
Jul 17, 2007 Kathryn Periwinkle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vatican Thriller Lovers
Shelves: justfinished
Do you crave a good murder mystery with your hot cocoa on a rainy Saturday morning? This is your book! An aggressive whodonut set in the Eternal City, told from a non-american perspective. I enjoyed every guilty minute.
LJ
GOD’S SPY (Police Proc-Insp. Paola Dicanti-Rome-Cont) - VG
Gómez-Jurado, Juan – 1st novel
Plume, 2007, US Trade Paperback – ISBN: 9780452289123

First Sentence: Father Selznick awoke in the middle of the night, a fish knife pressed against his throat.

Pope John Paul II has died and cardinals are gathering from around the world. In the midst of the world’s eye on Rome, Police Inspector Paola Dicanti is faced with a dead, mutilated cardinal, a charismatic American priest with a complicated past, the he...more
Jacstite
Es un libro que se deja leer, tiene una acción trepidante y te engancha y no puedes parar de leer hasta terminarlo.
Opino, no obstante y reconociendo que está muy bien escrito, que le falta algo, no se si es porque los personajes me parecieron algo vacíos de contenido o igual el autor quería remalcar la importancia en la historia en sí y no en los personajes que se encuentran en ella, finalicé de leer con la impresión de que la historia podría dar más de si, pero olvidando esto me gustó mucho. Se...more
Fer
Si te gusta Dan Brown, sin duda te gustará este libro. Las obras de Dan Brown por lo general me parecen entretenidas, pero claramente me gusta más el comienzo de sus obras que el final (que suele ser excesivamente "peliculero" y poco cuidado respecto al final de la obra). No he tenido esa sensación con esta obra, que mantiene el nivel a lo largo de sus páginas y cierra la trama perfectamente, a tiempo y sin extenderse en exceso.
Colleen
The first thing I have to say before I start my review is my immediate reaction to finishing this book: loading Wikipedia to see if it was part of a series.
Sadly, I found that this wasn't part of a series - it simply left certain things hanging by a thread until 2010, three years after this book was first published, when Gomez-Jurado published The Moses Expedition, which shares two of this book's characters (at least). Perhaps in that novel we'll find out more about the characters and gain more...more
Juan
Lo mejor que se puede decir de este libro es que es entretenido, por lo menos a mí me lo ha parecido. Sin embargo, la trama es poco original. El autor se apoya en elementos muy manoseados, como son las conspiraciones religiosas, asesinatos rituales, abusos sexuales en la Iglesia católica, etc. Los personajes no desprenden una gran personalidad y, salvo algunas excepciones, no consiguen transmitir las sensaciones y emociones que deberían desprenderse de las situaciones en las que se ven sumidos.

Q...more
J.
Oct 25, 2010 J. rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Charlies Angels fan-club members
pg 83-84 " ... You don't think I'm in a little bit over my head with all this ?"...
Troi's fingers stroked his chin. He forced Dicanti to look directly at him.
"We're all in a little bit over our heads, bambina. But let all of that go. Just focus on the fact that there's a monster killing people. And your job is hunting monsters."
Paola smiled. She was grateful and she wanted him again, one last time, right there, even though she knew it was a mistake, and it would break her heart...
"

Hmmm, this co...more
Jen
In this novel, Paola Dicanti, an FBI-trained profiler working in Rome, is called in when a prominent Catholic Cardinal is brutally murdered and dismembered. When Paola discovers that this is actually the second cardinal killed in this fashion, she's on the trail of a serial killer...a serial killer killing cardinals in Rome in the midst of John Paul IIs funeral and the impending conclave to elect a new Pope.

I listened to this book on CD in my car, and I have to say that the reader did not do the...more
Linda
May 06, 2008 Linda rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not even my worst enemy
Two cardinals are found mutilated and murdered in the days following John Paul II's death. Inspector Paola Dicanti and Father Anthony Fowler (an American priest and former army Intelligence officer) begin to suspect a conspiracy as their investigation proceeds.

Oh, how I hated this, and it is MY fault the book club is reading it. I know, I really do know, that I hate books with serial killers in them. Why then, did I suggest this book? I often think that the setting or characters will make up for...more
Nesa Sivagnanam
A ruthless serial killer, a chilling conspiracy, and a deadly race around the Vatican converge in this book. In the days following the death of Pope John Paul II, the horribly disfigured body of a cardinal is discovered in a chapel in Rome.

With a serial killer now on the loose in the Vatican, Police Inspector Paola Dicanti is assigned to the grisly case. Desperate to find the killer before another victim dies, she enlists the help of Father Anthony Fowler, a charismatic American priest who knows...more
Andrea
Jan 31, 2008 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
DaVinci Code, Angels and Demons...move over..there is a new story to be told. Written on a platform about the Vatican and the convoluted and sometimes enigmatic world therein, the plot explodes like a cannon shot and continues its course of shattering suspense, deception, intrigue, and duplicity until the crashing and breath-taking climax. Fact and fiction are melded into a solid story line about a Pontifical Conclave, a child-abusing priest, the CIA, and Italian police methods. Various real per...more
Leo C.
3.5
Estoy segura que si hubiera leído esta novela al poco de salir la hubiera puntuado mejor. Este tema está ya muy trillado. Tiene un estilo a "Ángeles y Demonios" de Dan Brown. Es entretenida y está bien documentada. El tema de abusos sexuales a menores me ha sobrecogido y aunque se trata de una novela de ficción, el autor incluye fragmentos de artículos de periódico reales de sacerdotes acusados de abusos sexuales. Lo que desconocía era la existencia de un Centro para rehabilitación de sacerdo...more
Marc
Feb 03, 2012 Marc rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marc by: María Sanz
Gran thriller. Primer libro que leo de Juan Gómez Jurado. Era un poco escéptico al principio, ya que la temática está un poco trillada (Dan Browns y demás) pero me ha gustado mucho.
La verdad es que me enganchó desde el primer momento, a pesar de tener la sensación al principio de ser un poco lento. Pero hay un momento en el que ya te sientes atrapado y no puedes parar de leer.
Así que deseando leer Contrato con Dios para seguir las aventuras de Paola y el Padre Fowler.
100% recomendable
Elizabeth (Literary Hoarders)
Too much gore. Too many child abuse details. Forced dialogue. While there were elements of the story that were compelling, the path to the book's end was mired in so much blood that I was just happy that it was over. That's not to say that there wasn't something to the plot; it was creative in some ways. One my central issues was a complete lack of connection to the characters, including the protagonist Paola Dicanti.
Marianne Stehr
This is a very good thriller that reminds me of a combination of Angels and Demons and the 1970's Chevy Chase movie Foul Play. It is filled with suspense and it adds true events in the Catholic Church to keep it "real." It leaves you with questions after it is done, a real good thriller!
Anna
It was a really enjoyable book after all, the action is well written and the characters interesting and at times quite mysterious. Also, it is a very easy read, perfect for a lazy afternoon.
Victor
Over rated book. Maybe some of the subject matter had increased the exposure of the book. Personally, some of the graphic description of sexual acts wasn't warranted. Maybe it was an attempt of the shocking to increase the ratings of the narrative was the aim, it wasn't appreciated. There's enough sophistication of a pivoting homicide trail and Vatican power struggles and then having child molesting priests wrapped around the narrative, wasn't needed or called for. It is complex enough without t...more
José Luis
Lo primero que me gustaría decir es que el libro me ha resultado bastante entretenido. Es cierto que el tema es un tanto manido, y sigue bastante el estilo de El Código Da Vinci, de Dan Brown, que tanto furor causó en su momento. Tengo que decir que soy un ferviente defensor de los best-seller, si consiguen que haya un lector más me parece motivo más que suficiente para su existencia, luego podremos criticar si el libro es mejor o peor, pero hay momentos en los que, yo al menos, necesito leer co...more
Uli Geibler
Die unaufhörlich spanndende fiktive Geschichte ist gespickt mit realen Ereignissen um den Tod des Papstes Johannes Paul II. Schnell nimmt man dem Autor nahezu alles an fiktiver Wahrheit ab, was er sich erdacht hat. Dem Spannungsbogen ist das in jeder Hinsicht zuträglich. Ja, so könnte es (gewesen) sein, denkt man an vielen Stellen des Verschwörungsthrillers.

Durch den Tod Petri Vertreters auf Erden gilt es für den Klerus zeitnah die Wahl des nächsten Papstes vorzunehmen. Die Konklave ist einberu...more
Marilo Meroño lópez
La verdad es que es un libro que me ha gustado mucho. Es un libro muy entretenido y con una trama bastante bien trabajada. Y desde que me he enterado que se escribió antes que el Código Da Vinci puedo asegurar que me gusta este libro mucho más que el de Dan Brown. Enhorabuena a Juan Gómez Jurado.
Richard Rogers
I had been wanting to read more in Spanish, and found this as a free download. It took me a while to read, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. For those like me who are just *mostly* fluent in Spanish, it's comprehensible and fast moving. The "profiler" aspects of the story were not impressive--the killer is identified early in the story--but the emotions are real, and there are some decent plot twists. I found the end satisfying.

I especially liked the language, the real Spanish that you find in a bes...more
Kirk
I wanted to like this novel, since the ending was so well constructed. But the story is built on such unlikely premises. These include:

- A child-abusing priest that commits murder in a church facility and is not turned over to the police

- Cardinals are murdered but their deaths are concealed by a contrived secret plot

- The Vatican police force is actually a secret society that sanctions murder

- A priest who is also a CIA agent

If this were set in the 16th century I'd be more likely to buy in.
Mary
A friend of mine gave this to me the other day. Once I started I could not put it down. The story is set in and around the Vatican during the conclave following the death of Pope John Paul II. It was described by one reviewer as "Thomas Harris meets Dan Brown". This book is a thriller, start to finish. Very fast-paced, and very bloody. I don't normally read books that are so graphic, but I was hooked on the story from the first page. The characters were very interesting, and the author has defin...more
David
A fast-paced thriller in which the action and blood never stop, this strong debut by Spanish author Juan Gomez-Jurado will keep many readers going until well into the night. Set in Vatican City during the conclave to elect a new pope following the death of Pope John Paul II in 2005, the action begins with the grisly deaths of two cardinals planning to participate in the conclave, their bodies tortured and mutilated almost beyond recognition by a serial killer on the loose. Gomez-Jurado is a styl...more
tukanman
Este libro definitivamente me engancho desde el principio, muy buenos personajes, una buena trama, y fluye muy bien. Es el tipico libro de detectives,escrito en lenguaje comercial, no tiene esa creacion literaria, juego de palabras, ideas abstractas como un cuento de Gabi o de Isabel Allende, pero se entiende que es un thriller. Acabo de comprar 2 libros mas por este autor, porque me parece que va a ser uno de mis favoritos. Los libros son: "contrato con Dios" y "El Emblema de el Ladron." Ademas...more
Denise M. Hartman
God's Spy was a good thriller and kept me interested all the way through. A few plot points I guessed wrong, so that's always fun to be surprised. I had a weird deja vu at the beginning and had to keep looking at the author to make sure I hadn't picked up a book I'd read before. Apparently I'm drawn to creepy things happening in Rome/the Vatican books, but it's been years and I enjoyed the suspense of a serial killer at work in the Holy See.
Tracy
I gave up after 50 pages. There were some inconsistencies and inaccuracies that bothered me, and I couldn't get into the writing style or the characters. It seemed to me to be an attempt to cash in on Angels & Demons. Apologies if this was written first, and maybe it would have got better if I'd stuck with it. I couldn't be bothered though.

Not recommended. Read Angels & Demons instead.
Anesia
Oct 05, 2011 Anesia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anesia by: hanaa
same like others review.
i read in indonesian translation. n it wasnt good translation.

tentang pembunuhan berantai di kawasan gereja. dengan cara2 sadis seperti pemotongan lidah, sayatan2 di seluruh tubuh dan pencongkelan mata. dan anehnya hal ini di tutup2i oleh pihak gereja. serta ttg pedopil oleh pastur gereja.. mendebarkan dan membuat ketagihan tuk membacanya sampai akhir
Patrulla Kindle: 02/12 - Espía de Dios, Juan Gómez Jurado 15 30 Mar 09, 2012 12:35PM
  • Dante's Equation
  • The Gaudi Key
  • The Hidden Oasis
  • The Secret Cardinal (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #5)
  • Sphinx
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • The Holy Bullet (Vaticano, #2)
  • The Lazarus Vault
  • The Marks Of Cain
  • Lucifer's Shadow
  • The Pegasus Secret
  • The Last Ember
Juan Gómez-Jurado (December 1977 Madrid, Spain) is an award winning journalist and bestselling author. He is one of the three most successful contemporary Spanish authors along with New York Times bestselling authors Javier Sierra and Carlos Ruiz Zafón. In 2011, Juan celebrated the mark of 4 million readers worldwide.

Juan is the author of three international bestselling novels: GOD’S SPY, THE MOSE...more
More about Juan Gomez-Jurado...
The Moses Expedition The Traitor's Emblem La leyenda del ladrón El paciente La masacre de Virginia Tech

“Lamento que este usted subido en la atalaya de sus propias convicciones. Desde ahí la caída es mortal de necesidad.” 1 likes