Porzuceni (Porzuceni, #1)

Porzuceni (Abandon #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  25,212 ratings  ·  3,063 reviews
Współczesna dziewczyna porwana w mityczne zaświaty w jednej z najbardziej oczekiwanych powieści roku ulubionej autorki wszystkich dziewczyn świata, autorki światowych bestsellerów nr 1

Odkąd powróciła z Hadesu pojawia się przy niej on. Zawsze wtedy, gdy się go najmniej spodziewa i gdy go najbardziej potrzebuje. To tylko halucynacje – przekonują psychiatrzy. – Miałaś wypadek...more
Published May 26th 2011 by Wydawnictwo Amber (first published April 26th 2011)

Lamia
This can also be seen at The Book Eater .

WARNING: This review contains mentions of wanting to throttle, strangle and maim book characters, and includes potentially traumatizing pictures.

Just look at this summary. Go ahead, read it.
It's amazing, isn't it? And the cover. It's gorgeous. The premise is mysterious, intriguing and lovely. I was SO excited for this book, you don't even know. I think my entire twitter feed knew the instant it was out.

This is why I'm going to be a little hard on it. Beca...more
Steph Sinclair

NO STARS.

I've heard a lot about Meg Cabot's books. And it may surprise people to know that this was actually my first Meg Cabot novel. I'm not completely unfamiliar with her works. One of my favorite movies of all time was adapted from one of her novels-- The Princess Diaries. All that being said, I think I made a huge mistake in having Abandon pop my Cabot novel "cherry".

Insta... love.

Guys, this book has INSTA LOVE!

Deep breaths, Stephanie. Deep. Breaths.

It took me till page 300 to realize why I...more
Bridget
Oh man I hated this book. I only picked it up (well, downloaded it - audiobook) because when I was a little girl, my favorite character in Greek mythology was Persephone. I thought it would be fun to read a re-imagining of the old classic story.

NOT SO. Let me enumerate the ways I hated this book. There may be spoilers ahead.

1. All the present-tense narration happens over the span of about 36 hours. The rest of the book is chopped-up flashbacks sprinkled liberally and erratically throughout the s...more
Vinaya
I stared at him. “I didn’t understand a single thing you just said. [...] Who’s Homer?”

Photobucket

This book was such a... mess. There is no other way to phrase it, it was a complete and utter mess. Now, here's the thing. I LOVE Meg Cabot. In fact, I'm practically a swooning fangirl. Even the books that most other people didn't like, like Jinx and Pants on Fire, I adored. I've always found that her heroines have a very unique voice — snarky, sassy and fun. Even when the world is going to hell in a handbask...more
Scarlet
4.75 STARS

-Review-

"HOLY. CRAP."

Those are literally the words that came out of my mouth after reading just the first page of this book.

I mean WOW, what another amazing book by Meg Cabot! (She seems to write non-stop, doesnt she? Haha).

Abandon, to give you a brief summary, is the re-imagined tale of Hades and Persephone, starring main character Pierce Oliviera. She knows what it's like to die, because she's done it once before. But now death wants her back.

The Main Things I liked:

Pierce: I've been...more
Lilyxjames
"I might look like a honey-eyed schoolgirl on the outside, in my skirt with its regulation four-inches-above-the-knee hem. But I'll rip those tassels off your shoes, old man. Just try Googling me."

Oh dear, I loved this book so much. As a huge The Mediator fan, I have been looking forward to it since Meg Cabot announced she would be writing another paranormal series. And when she said it would be retelling of the myth of Persephone, I was counting days to the release day. As expected, she did it...more
Misha
Writing this review actually make me sad and guilty because I hate writing anything negative about a Meg Cabot book. I first discovered Princess Diaries when I was 11 years old and fell instantly in love with Meg Cabot's books. I loved the Princess Diaries series and the Mediator series even more! I haven't a read a Meg Cabot book since I was around 16, but I have happy memories of her books. Now I just wish I had not read Abandon, just so I could preserve those memories.

Abandon is a new take on...more
Kristi
I love Meg Cabot. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE! (I am totally PSYCHED to finally meet her in person this month too!!) But that's beside the point! Now that I have that out of the way.... lets get to the review.

I love Meg's writing, her books are so easy to read and so entertaining. I never worry about picking up one of her books because I know that it's going to be wonderful and Abandon was no exception.

I will say that the story started out a little slow for me, but I really connected with Pierce as a c...more
Kelly
For much of her life, Pierce has been haunted by a mysterious young man. She first met him when she was a little girl, but was told he was a figment of her imagination. When she was fifteen, she had a near-death experience and met him again in a strange landscape. Several times since, when she was threatened, the man appeared and put the threatening party in a world of hurt. Now, Pierce and her mother have moved to Isla Huesos, Florida — Mom’s hometown — for a fresh start. Thus begins Abandon, M...more
~Tina~
(3.5stars)

I've always struggled with Cabot's books. Besides her Mediator series, the rest of the books I've read from her were just okay, so I'm really very surprised I enjoyed Abandon as much as I did.

Actually, the only thing that really bothered me about this book, is what bothers me with all of Cabot's books. Her writing style. I think it's that she can never.just.say.it. Even in her dialog, she has to have a running thought attached to it and it feels like she draws everything out in long, l...more
Crystal
Pierce died. She died and discovered that bright lights are not the only thing a person can encounter after they take their last breath. The thing though is that Pierce grabs her own second chance and when she wakes up she learns that not everything was a dream and that John is indeed real. Sounds intriguing right? Well I bought into it and I am sad to say that my description, as plain and short as it is, in my opinion is way more interesting than most of this book. I am really interested in Gre...more
Auntb
Abandon by Meg Cabot.
Reviewed at: http://ya-sisterhood.blogspot.com/201...
Reviewed by: Baby Sister Brittany
Release Date: April 26th, 2011 (Get your Pre-Order on, kids)
The Sisters say: Spooky, Swoon-worthy, and Scintillating
EDIT: Currently giving away an ARC on the blog. Contest ends 4.13.11

Abandon all hope ye who enter here?

Try abandon those attempts at sleep and read this book in one sitting!

It’s hard to remember the first Young Adult book I read that captured me all those years ago, but I do...more
Milly
So this is supposed to be a retelling of the Greek mythology story of Hades and Persephone. I honestly don't know much about their story aside from what I read in Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. But since I'm not well versed on this mythological story, I am unable to make accurate comparisons between the two. And I think being unfamiliar with this story actually helped this book for me because I found Abandon's plot refreshing and intriguing as I haven't read any books usin...more
Katya
You guys, I was so excited about this book. I generally really like Cabot's work, and a retelling of the Persephone myth? Sold! Not to mention that the heroine is (arguably) a WOC. I was like, no way can this book fail!

I was wrong.

It was going pretty well until I was about two-thirds through the book. I had been hooked by the 'mystery' and wondering how it was all going to come together. And then it started coming together. And then I started wanting to throw the book across the room because I...more
Lisa
Things I NEVER Want to Hear Again After Listening to Abandon

- Westport Academy for Girls
- "Check yourself before you wreck yourself"
- Cementery Sexton
- Isla Huesos
- Chickee
- "Check yourself before you wreck yourself" (Oh, is it annoying when I repeat things?)

If your supposedly magical danger alert mood necklace is kept tucked beneath your shirt, how can you tell when it changes color?

(view spoiler)
Erin
I was fooled by the exciting premise and pretty cover. Don't make the same mistake! Save yourselves!

I will try to summarize all the things I hated about Abandon.

The protagonist, Pierce, was truly the most awful thing about the book. She was such an idiot it caused me physical pain. Sometimes I'd read something so pricelessly terrible that I just HAD to mark the page. This happened a grand total of SEVENTEEN TIMES. She was so. Freaking. Awful. Some highlights:

He still seemed pretty mad. A good si...more
Sheri
Apr 28, 2011 Sheri rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheri by: ARC provided by publisher
~ A timeless Greek myth brought to modern times with a unique slant that titillates the heart. Cabot has masterfully cast Death as one of many (thought of) death deities, who's been hardened by his circumstances. The reader slowly watches his heart open wide as he, like Hades, finds what he's lacking in a human girl. And in this case, she's just a little tweaked-side of normal. ~

On the outside, the story itself has typical teen nuances as well as struggles: the girl who doesn't quite fit it, a f...more
Melannie :)
Jun 24, 2011 Melannie :) marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
It looks awesome
and it IS gonna be AWESOME

I mean, Meg? Paranormal again?
that can only lead to awesomeness

CAN'T WAIT

*update February 22.
Just read chapter 1, and ohmygod,
it is so good, misterious and dark,
why aren't you coming faster April?!? oh why?!?

*I'm sooo buying like 2 more copies of this book!!!
Mikayla_
Apr 09, 2010 Mikayla_ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released
YAYYYYYY!!!!!
I CAN'T BELIEVE SHES DOING ANOTHER PARANORMAL SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Giselle
Apparently, unbeknownst to me, this was a retelling of the story of Persephone, but I won't be able to really compare or critique on that point because I haven't read the classic story (I know I'm lame); I only know the very basic -queen of the underworld- myth and as I read a few of the reviews I've noticed those who have read the classic tale don't like it as much. Nevertheless, I thought it was fresh and original - a fun read with a hint of mystery and a few twists.

This is going to be a trilo...more
Kristi-The Book Faery
Meg Cabot's Abandon was a gripping dark tale that had me at page one. As YA PNR Fictional Mythology is becoming more and more popular, it's becoming increasingly difficult to maintain originality. Being a lover of mythology, I am overjoyed with books that are imaginative and creative yet still stick to the original concept. Abandon was one of those books.

Abandon is not only extraordinary but extremely entertaining with a creative twist intertwining modern day times with age old mythology but th...more
Mimi Valentine
Meg Cabot will always continue to be one of the wittiest authors on my watch, and that doesn't change with this sweet re-telling of the Hades and Persephone myth!

Although Abandon was a little slow to start, it was such an easy book to fly through in one sitting. I loved how you could never tell exactly where it was going. You just had to sit back and enjoy the ride, which was really refreshing! The only thing I found hard to swallow was how many flashbacks were incorporated in the story because...more
Maria
I don't recommend Abandon.

*****

What the F this book is supposed to be?!!

I was confused by Cabot’s writing style so it was hard to comprehend the story. The author writes like I already know about Pierce’s past when in fact, i don’t. Rewind, fast forward, double rewind – that’s i felt like when i was reading it.

Should Pierce come across as a resilient young woman or as a problem child who really doesn’t know what to do with her life? Her character was vague enough for me to not connect with her i...more
Vanessa
Dark Faerie Tales
Quick & Dirty: Unfortunately, Abandon starts out slow and continues to drag. The narrative is stilted and confusing, and the character development is minimal. Many elements of the story fail to satisfy.

Opening Sentence: Anything can happen in the blink of an eye.

The Review:

Pierce Oliviera had a near death experience. Her parent’s relationship completely fell apart and her life is in utter turmoil. She moves to Isla Huesos, the Island of Bones, with her mother. Pierce’s near death experience...more
LiAnn
On the surface, Abandon sounded GREAT - a dark retelling of the Persephone myth? Yes! Unfortunately, the book fails to deliver on the thrill - in large part, I think, because this is just the first book in the new Abandon series.

It takes half the book for Pierce to finally confirm everything that happened two years ago, when she had her near-death experience and a pivotal encounter with John, a death deity who seems to be in charge of the Underworld. Pierce is an incredibly coy narrator: she hin...more
Nafiza
After reading Abandon, I have come to the conclusion that YA authors should avoid writing about Greek mythology, especially the very popular Hades and Persephone story. The Goddess Test was atrocious, The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker almost gave me conniptions and the latest addition in the genre, Abandon was an unexpected disappointment.

Before we continue, let me insert a disclaimer. I like Meg Cabot’s books. Her books are warm, fuzzy and totally comfort-food-like. I don’t wade...more
Sandee (The Whimsical Reader)
We all wonder what it would be like in the afterlife.
Will be taken to heaven, hell or will we remain in the in between.
Pierce had a glimpse of what lies after we die.

Pierce died.
She caught a glimpse of what it was like in the Underworld.
She was supposed to stay there until she successfully escaped.
She thought everything would be back to normal.
But she was wrong.
She hasn’t been normal since.
Pierce and her mother moved to Isla Huesos where they thought they’d get a new start.
But the more Pierce tr...more
Bárbara Morais
It hurts me to see Meg doing one of the worst books I've read this year. I have done a longer comment but deleted it (not on purpose), but let me summarise it for you:

-> I could not find any interesting plot in this book. I just waited something that was not a flashback to happen or something interesting until page 230... And the book has 306 pages.
-> Some parts are so messy that I had to read it twice, at least, to understand that Pierce was having a flashback in the middle of a dialogue....more
kari
I'm giving this three star, but I wish I could give it more. Meg Cabot is one of my favorite authors. Her heroines are sarcastic and funny and loving and witty all at once and I've enjoyed her writing a lot.
This story is kind of all over the place and maybe for the beginning of a series, that's okay. The plot, from Pierce's voice, tends to jump from present to past and sometimes this confused me a bit, like when she is in high school thinking about an event that happened at another high school s...more
  • Asphodel (The Underworld Trilogy, #1)
  • Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls, #1)
  • Destined (Destined, #1)
  • The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)
  • Daughter of the Earth and Sky (Daughters of Zeus, #2)
  • Blood Magic (The Blood Journals, #1)
  • Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)
  • Hourglass (Hourglass, #1)
  • Radiant Darkness
  • The Mephisto Covenant: The Redemption of Ajax (The Mephisto Covenant, #1)
  • Betrayal (The Descendants, #1)
  • Falling Under (Falling Under, #1)
  • Sirenz (Sirenz #1)
  • Tempest Rising (Tempest, #1)
  • Exile (Aurelia, #2)
  • Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful, #1)
  • Wildefire (Wildefire, #1)
  • Starling (Starling, #1)

Meg Cabot was born on February 1, 1967, during the Chinese astrological year of the Fire Horse, a notoriously unlucky sign. Fortunately she grew up in Bloomington, Indiana, where few people were aware of the stigma of being a fire horse -- at least until Meg became a teenager, when she flun...more
More about Meg Cabot...
The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries, #1) Size 12 Is Not Fat (Heather Wells, #1) All-American Girl (All-American Girl, #1) Shadowland (The Mediator, #1) Queen of Babble (Queen of Babble, #1)

“Don't cry."
"How can I not?" I asked him. "You just said you loved me."
"Well, why else did you think all of this was happening?" He set the book aside to wrap his arms around me. "The Furies wouldn't be trying to kill you if I didn't love you."
"I didn't know," I said. Tears were trickling down my cheeks, but I did nothing to try to stop them. His shirt was absorving most of them. "You never said anything about it. Every time I saw you, you just acted so... wild."
"How was I supposed to act?" he asked. "You kept doing things like throwing tea in my face.”
195 likes
“But really, the term “forgive and forget” doesn’t make sense to me. Forgiving does allow us to stop dwelling on an issue, which isn’t always healthy. But if we forget, we don’t learn from our mistakes. And that can be deadly.” 168 likes