Start by marking “Highland Captive (Sisters by Choice, #1)” as Want to Read:
Highland Captive (Sisters by Choice, #1)

Highland Captive (Sisters by Choice #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  425 ratings  ·  31 reviews
English-born Lady Alera of Arundrydge is a procrastinating defender and nurturer with a secret gift. She wishes to avenge crimes against her family and find her father, who is missing and presumed dead. When a nefarious uncle hands her over to Viking slavers, she escapes only to be caught by a big, sexy barbarian, whose touch ignites passion.

Laird Duncan Ranald has good re
Published May 2011 by Champagne Books

To ask other readers questions about Highland Captive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Captive

Story Rating 4.5
Character Rating 4.5
Romance Rating 4.5
Heat Level 3.5
Overall Rating 4.5

Well, I must say this book REALLY surprised me. I have no idea where I found out about this book. I never heard of Mary McCall and had no idea why I decided to even get this book besides that it sounded good. As my friends here at goodreads all know that I like my book's on the spicy side and I must say that this book checked that category off very nicely for me.

I love Highland Romances and this book had a para
Dahlia (yadkny)
May 30, 2011 Dahlia (yadkny) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Lovers
Shelves: favorites
Alera is what some people would call selfish and spoiled, but that couldn't be further from the truth. She is loving, loyal, protective, nurturing, spirited, and compassionate to the suffering of others. Her being a proper lady is only further enhanced by the skills she possesses in running a household. All of these traits were instilled in her from an early age by a mother who knew that someday Alera would grow to appreciate and use the lessons that were being taught. Her mother knew that Alera ...more
Mily Lou
What can I say about this book? Many things actually, first thing, I am beginning to think that families of certain authors like to write 5 star reviews, to convince a reader that they should buy the book because of the 5 stars. I am not saying that all authors ask their family and friends to go to and write an outstanding review, but I am suspecting that this was the case in this book. My mistake when buying a book is that I tend to look up at how many stars a book might have, in ord ...more
Description from Amazon.

Laird Duncan Ranald has good reason to hate all things English. They nearly wiped out his clan. Discovering the luscious beauty who
I've realized that my Kindle is going to be my downfall. I see a book on sale for $.99 and I'm like "Oh my gosh, so cheap! It's sounds good... Let me read a review to make sure. Okay, looks good! CLICK." -_- I need to stop.

For one, I've never really read a historical romance before. Not my cup of tea. The language was weird and awkward, and I was pretty irritated the whole time reading it. I was confused most of the time, too. Things happened and the author seemed to think that I could read her
Amanda P
I really enjoyed this highland tale. Our heroine is feisty and to much for following orders. Our hero is a laird all about giving orders. And is the Highland way, when Duncan first sees Alera he knows he's keeping her weather she agrees or not. This tale has treachery, a bit of the mystical and of course stubborn highlanders! It kind of reminded me of a Julie Garwood highlander book. It was a fun easy read. And I got it for 1.99 for my Kindle. Got to love a cheap read. =)
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
I have never heard of this author or her series. But anything with Highlander, it's caught me. Highlander is one of my favourite guilty pleasures :-)

I love Duncan and Alera's story. Right from the start their story won me over and kept me entertained.

Thank you Ashley for the great gift!
This is a true Historical Romance. It follows the formula to a "t". Ms. McCall is a skilled writer, but I always knew where she was going -- the irresistible sexy and handsome highlander and his captive, a beautiful woman who escapes from Vikings -- she jumps off the boat and her anger propels her to shore, where the highlander rescues her. She also has special gifts -- she can heal, feel danger approach and can shoot three arrows and hit three different targets. If she gets mad enough she can t ...more
AUTHOR: Mary McCall is a Historical Romance writer with a great sense of humor. While this is the first book that I have read by this author, I must say that I did laugh throughout the book and yet I felt the L'AMOUR.

GENRE: Historical romance

SETTING: 12th century, England, Scotland

CENTRAL FEMALE CHARACTERS: "Her mouth competes with my meanest foot soldier, she dresses like the lowest serf, she fights like a barbarian against boys twice her size, she plays with killer birds, and her manners are
Liloshadow (ReNee)
Liked it so much I bought it twice!! (paper and digital) Im so glad I found this author! As I'm writing this review I have read all of this authors books, and I'm dying for more. I've also got my sister hooked on them. I read a few of the bad reviews, and I don't quite understand why they didn't enjoy it. But I do understand you cant make everyone love something. I loved the mystical aspects of the story. And I always love when animals are included heavily in the story. I bought this book once i ...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
The irrepressible “gifted” Alera, daughter of deceased Brahana, the Scottish Highlander, and English Baron Robert of Arundryde, escapes Viking slaver that her Uncle Mortimer sold her to. Of course, she had the help of her guardian angel Henry. She struggles mightily to curb the raging demon inside her as she thinks about her conniving uncle and recalls her Uncle Julian MacKay’s saying, “If a snake slithers across your path, you should kill it”. She determines to do just that as soon as she can f ...more
I picked up this book when Amazon sent me one of their famous monthly emails about kindle books under $5 (it was $3.99 at the time). I wasn't sure what to think when I downloaded it. I have certain expectations when it comes to highland/historical romances and have been disappointed before. I was not disappointed this time. While it's not on par with one of Moning's highlander stories (but really, who is?), it was quite enjoyable.

I was bit confused at times as the author built up other character
I so enjoyed this book. The writing was a little hard to follow at times but it was a wonderful story. I loved all the characters. I will read this book again.
Fera フェルナンダ
This one was pretty good, although sometimes in the middle of the story plots, I felt like losing some connection with some of the character but quickly, they got back in track too along with the plot. hmm
Robree Cruz
Sigh... I was so disappointed with this book... i had high expectations... it was a MEH read.. I read it when I could or had nothing else to read...
I came across Mary McCall by chance and thank goodness I did! The entire "Sister's by Choice" series is fantastic! I can't describe how much I enjoyed all three of the books in this series (5-starred them all). Absolutely loved the heroine in this book (Alera) and loved the other heroines (Faith and Hope) from the other two books. I really enjoyed the whole "gifted MacKay" plot line in the series. The entire series is well written and enjoyable. This is a MUST read series! My only complaint is t ...more
Ashley Mayer
I really enjoyed Highland Captive by Mary Mccall. Alera is a great character, and I love the banter between her and Duncan. The only thing I didn't like about this book is that there are several characters who aren't really explained. There seems to be some back story that we are missing. I realized after reading this that McCall has a book called Highland Treasure that features some of the characters in Highland Captive. I wonder if reading this would clear up some of the confusion. I am glad ...more
Raquel Gutierrez
I like it. Itz funny and cute
What a strange book. I feel like I am missing something as there were many characters who entered or were mentioned who it seemed we should know but they'd not been in the story line before?!?!?

It's also just a very busy book. Highland romance, paranormal and a bit of adventure quest as well thrown in at the end. Yes, the banter between Alera and Duncan is great, but overall this book just left me scratching my head and looking befuddled.
This is my first Mary McCall novel and I have to say that she kept me guessing during the entire book. Although Highland Captive was a HR, there were paranormal aspects that I really enjoyed. During the entire book I was not only engaged in the plot but McCall had me laughing as well. If your looking for a HR with a twist then I definitely recommend Highland Captive.
Meg Kinch
One word.... WOW!! This book is just plain awesome. It makes you laugh; it makes you cry; and it can make you angry, but angry with the heroine or hero, not at either one. I definitely seeing this as a frequent re-read along with another of her highland book, Highland Treasure. Great job!!
I loved this book! I found it very entertaining especially in the banter between Alera and Duncan. At some points there was a bit of confusion but you could still go back a few pages and reread it to understand. I'm definitely going to read the next book in the series.
I truly enjoyed this book! Sparks flow from the beginning with Vlera and Duncan. With her spoiled toughness and Duncans "I'm man and your female" attitude; it's a good set up fun, sexy funny bartering between the two.
I loved this book. Highland Treasure with Hope was my favorite and for her to continue with the gifted McKays is awesome. I have read it about 7 times and love it every time.
I loved this book. The story was wonderful with elements of paranormal. It captivated me from the start till the end. Well done Mary McCall, it was a book worth reading!
Lisa Elliott
I wanted to go buy the rest of the series right away! I really enjoyed Alera and Duncan's story. The people came alve off the pages of this story set in the Highlands.
Felt like the characters were very one dimensional.
Good. Reminded me a bit of Julie Garwood's historicals.
Kat Valencia-Benitez
Another winner by Mary McCall! 5 stars and more!!!
  • Reluctant (The MacKays #3)
  • The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1)
  • Laiden's Daughter (Clan MacDougall, #1)
  • My Fierce Highlander (Highland Adventure, #1)
  • Possessed by the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #3)
  • Celtic Storms (Celtic Steel, #1)
  • Highland Legacy
  • To Wed a Highlander (The McTiernays, #2)
  • The Highlander's Conquest (Stolen Bride, #2)
  • Daring the Highlander (The Legacy of MacLeod, #2)
  • Highland Solution (Duncurra, #1)
  • The Bedeviled Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #2)
  • Highland Vengeance (Highlands Trilogy, #1)
  • Under the Highlander's Spell (Sinclare Brothers, #2)
  • His Conquest (MacGruder Brothers, #3)
  • The Devil's Necklace (Necklace Trilogy #2)
  • Lord of the Highlands (Highlands, #4)
  • Elfking's Lady

Sisters by Choice (3 books)
  • Highland Treasure (Sisters by Choice 0.5)
  • Highland Promise (Sisters by Choice, #2)