Start by marking “The Repossession (Repossession, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Repossession (Repossession, #1)

The Repossession (Repossession #1)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  363 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Romance and suspense combine in a tense teen thriller that will leave you gasping for more ...

34 kids missing. Vanished without a trace.

Believing she is possessed, Genie Magee's mother has imprisoned her all summer encouraged by the sinister Reverend Schneider. Beautiful Rian, love of her life, sets her free, and their escape washes them up at Marshall's remote farmhouse
Published March 1st 2012 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Repossession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Repossession

Under a Painted Sky by Jenna RoadsHide by Jessica JasterDivergent by Veronica RothObsidian by Jennifer L. ArmentroutThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
YA Gold
134th out of 146 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Edit 8/30/12: You can now win a copy of The Repossession and its sequel, The Hunting, at The Nocturnal Library

A small town, 34 missing children, a dog with fused hind legs, quite a few religious fanatics, secret research facility, one huge pig, a farm, teleportation and an artificial lake. If you’re wondering what all these things have in common, allow me to enlighten you: they all play an important role in The Repossession by Sam Hawksmoor.

I suppose more YA should be written by middle-aged C
Giselle
Dec 31, 2012 Giselle rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, own, paranormal
With all the "same ol'" books I've read this year, it's wonderfully refreshing to come by true originality once in a while. Unlike anything I've read before, The Repossession is one of them. Science fiction in its true form, Sam has written an especially believable, fascinating read, but also one that is quite horrifying when you really stop to think about it. It's mind-blowing in a lot of ways; it makes my skin crawl to even imagine it. It's one of those books that are very long, but even after ...more
Irmak
Apr 05, 2016 Irmak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kütüphanem
3.5/5
Son zamanlarda okuduğum kitapların diliyle bir alıp veremediğim var galiba. Resmen içine giremedim. Duygu eksikliği vardı kitapta. Karakter kendisi için çok büyük bir haber öğreniyor ve Nasıl olur falan diyip iki cümle sonra olumlu karşılıyor. Birden normale dönüyor. Kız arkadaşının boğazına biri yapışıyor ve sonraki cümle ' bu onu şok etti sonra kızı öpüp onu mahvedeceğiz dedi' oluyor. Yahu nerde duygu nerde ? Bu kadar mı ?
Konu için ise diyecek bir lafım yok. Hiç ummadığım bir şeydi, kita
Mizuki
I have mixed feelings when its come to The Repossession, I am not saying I don't like it, I am willing to give it 3.5 stars because the writing is solid and the story is refreshing and even though I'm by no mean a huge fan of YA Sci-Fi, I still find the main concept original. I mean, once we get past the 'mad scientists kidnapping kids for crazy experiments' part...the rest of the main ideas are original. Plus I do like that the danger and hardship faced by the kids feels so intensive and real; ...more
Büşra Ay
Apr 05, 2016 Büşra Ay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tek eksiği yazar anlatımı olmasıydı bence. Yazar anlatımı kitapları pek sevemiyorum maalesef ki. Onun dışında kurgu gayet güzeldi. Kitabın sayfalarını merakla çeviriyordum. Ayrıca kitap öyle yerde bitiyor ki ikinci kitap için yanıp tutuşuyor oluyorsunuz. *-*
Esrafurkanyigit
May 12, 2016 Esrafurkanyigit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beklediğimden daha iyiydi. Heyecanla okudum ama biraz heyecanı eksik gibiydi. Öyle gibi gibiydi işte öyle bişeyler.
Evie
*** Originally posted to Bookish Blog |Reviews, Author Interviews, Guest Posts, Book Info, Giveaways!|

The Repossession was absolutely amazing! It's mesmerizing, clever, captivating, in short it is everything you could possibly hope for in a book. At nearly 500 pages, it's a pretty hefty book, but don't let that discourage you from picking it up. Trust me, you'll breeze through the pages in no time! It took me one day to finish it (although, I admit, I did stay up till 3:00 am to find out what ha
Soumi
Genie was possessed, as they said. Locked up in her room, she waited for devil to come and claim her. 34 kids were missing without a trace, and Genie knew she is next. The devil never came and only love of her life Rian broke her free and together they escape. Soon they too shelter in an Old man’s farm and discover how those missing kids are related to a scientific research organization known as “The Fortress”.

The Repossession is a wonderful addition to young adult genres and an amazing work of
SJH (A Dream of Books)
Feb 19, 2012 SJH (A Dream of Books) rated it really liked it
‘The Repossession’ is a very difficult book to describe. What starts off as something of a modern day Romeo and Juliet tale with two teenagers defying the odds to run away together soon turns into a story of an altogether different nature. Part science-fiction, part romance and part action thriller, the best way to approach this book is with an open mind, prepared for literally anything to happen next.

The story centres mainly around Genie and Rian who’ve run away together to escape Genie’s zeal
Lindsay Cummings
Apr 22, 2012 Lindsay Cummings marked it as to-read
Shelves: finishedcopies
the pages are BLUE! :0
Gary
May 17, 2012 Gary rated it liked it
I have one major issue with this book -- the writing.

It kind of ruined the book, in my opinion.

The Story:

Genie Magee is imprisoned in her own home as almost everyone (no doubt led by Reverend Schneider) in the small town of Spurlake believes she is possessed by the devil. Everyday, she endures torment and torture from the Reverend's disciples, including her own mother. While she is starting to lose hope, the boy she loves so very much, Rian Tulane, comes to rescue her from her misery.

As they try
Kirsty (overflowing library)
I really enjoyed The Repossession. It was an interesting read with unique ideas and characters you can instantly warm to.

The story looks at the idea of the 100s of kids that go missing every year and poses an idea about where they maybe going in one particular area in America. The ide is actually quite chilling when you think about it as the kids involved just disappear without anyone ever finding out where they might have gone.

The main story revolves around Genie and Rian who are fast becoming
Lucy
Mar 08, 2012 Lucy rated it really liked it
Sam Hawksmoor's debut was a complete surprise for me. From it's summary I expected it to be more about supernatural and witchcraft elements, but this is in fact more along the lines of YA science fiction. That said the sci-fi element is not dominant and even as someone who doesn't read sci-fi avidly, I was still engaged with the plot and really liked the book so don't be put off!

34 children have recently gone missing in Genie's small town. She is next. Genie starts out in the novel imprisoned by
Molly
Jul 30, 2014 Molly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy and action fans
Hi!

On the back of my proof copy, The Repossession is described as: An intense, edgy thriller for readers who love suspense, action and romance.

It certainly is that.

This is a slight dystopian, I think, as it's set in the future, but not along the scales of The Hunger Games or Divergent; they still have only cars and phones and everything is as we know it now.

Except for a mysterious research facility known as The Fortress. Children go missing all the time in Spurlake. And as you read this book you
Tom Harris
Aug 27, 2012 Tom Harris rated it it was amazing
Teenager Genie Magee has visions, and after predicting her Gran's death is imprisoned in her bedroom by her crazed mother and the sinister Reverend Schneider, who believe that Genie is possessed by the devil.

Genie's only hope is her boyfriend Rian Tulane, and after a daring rescue, they hide out on a houseboat where they are caught in a ferocious flash flood. They are lucky to escape with their lives and after saving a rather fortunate pig find their way to a remote farm where they hope to find
Sabrina
Oct 14, 2012 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sabrina by: Dani (Pen to Paper)
I received this book free from the author in exchange of a honest review. Thank you, Sam!

The story I encountered in this book is unique.
While the children from Spurlake BC start to disappear in a mysterious way, Genie Magee si trapped in her own room by her mother, which accuses her of being possessed by the devil. The day before she escape, the face of the last child who went missing appears on the wall of her room and tells her that she is next.
Rian, her only real friend, helps her escape and
Eleanor Ng
Mar 09, 2016 Eleanor Ng rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5/5

Hmm... I'm not very sure what I feel about this book. It was not really "Meh" but it wasn't really "OMG I LOVE IT" either. So I guess it's just... Ok? I'll split this review into the good and the not-so-good to explain why I came to this conclusion of just "Ok".

The good:

1.The pig - GUYS THE PIG WAS TOO CUTE I JUST COULDN'T TAKE IT.

2.The romance - Even though a lot of Rian's actions were motivated by his love for Genie, the romance wasn't overly mushy, it wasn't overly promine
Ryn
Mar 14, 2015 Ryn rated it did not like it
This was one of the most miserable books I've picked up in the past little while. The fact that it came between a light, sweet fairytale and a Neal Shusterman thriller definitely did not help.

As I couldn't get through more than about a third of the way in, I'll keep this short:

I was most mortified that this was set in Canada. The writing was childish and ridiculously overblown; if I'd read even one more description of the kids and their burning, perfect, innocent, true love/passion/ecstasy for
Maria
May 19, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it
It was a toss up between 3.5 or 4, but then I figured I should stop being so half-assed with ratings and choose whole numbers. So I decided to give it a 4.

The premise sounded interesting though I admit I was a little put off by the blurb on the back that said:
"All Genie's hopes, all her life and her soul, are pinned on Beautiful Rian. Rian loves her. He'll rescue her from this madness."

Another one those? I thought. I think one of the reasons I stopped reading young adult novels in the first pla
Jules Goud
Jan 27, 2014 Jules Goud rated it liked it
Definitely not what I was expecting.

Teleporting. We finally get to see the science behind it in this book. Loved that part.

Genie's never really known freedom. Her house is a cage and her mother thinks that she is possessed. Genie knows things, sees things that she isn't suppose to see. Rian comes in and saves her, in more way then one. However, Genie is next. For what? They don't know. But, can Rian really save her from this?

This book wasn't that bad. I thought that it was a little too long for
Codee Dillon
Feb 27, 2013 Codee Dillon rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to read the next one!
It's absolutely one of my favourites now! It's hard to come by a really good and original book like this! It's amazing how much I enjoyed reading this book! At first I kept thinking that this book isn't really for me but the more I read, the more I loved! The cover is REALLY cool and really suits the book well!
Suzan Köycü
May 09, 2016 Suzan Köycü rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Konu olarak özgündü bazı yerlerinde sıkılsamda güzel bir kitaptı severek okudum
Melissa
Mar 03, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
Poppy
Aug 04, 2015 Poppy rated it really liked it
The Repossesion is a good book about a girl called genie magee in which is to be belived as being possesed by a evil spirt acording to the local reverend. With her mother blinded by love of the rev Genie is locked in her room and poked at through bars at her door by her mums friends.
Genies' boyfriend rian decides with the help of his friend to break her out and runaway with her. And with the towns history of missing kids no-one woud really care. Or would they? But genie wasnt a normal girl she
Karen Murray-Gow
Apr 17, 2012 Karen Murray-Gow rated it it was amazing
Genie’s incarceration by her mother and the unexplained disappearance of children from the town initially leads you to believe that this book is about devils and possession, but that would be too obvious and Sam Hawksmoor is too good a writer to give it all away in the beginning. One thing you can say about this book, is that it is not predictable which is why it such a page-turner. Sam Hawksmoor leads you in one direction before cleverly transporting you into another. His twists and turns are a ...more
Lalaine *myficbookreviews*
May 01, 2012 Lalaine *myficbookreviews* rated it really liked it
The concept of this intriguing book will surely evokes interest to sci-fi thriller fans. And is also tinge with paranormal. But while its unbelievably horrifying, I was also enthralled by this book. The mystery about kids missing in a small town and was never found again was disturbing , and to top it off, they were being used as a lab rats for an experiment called "teleportation". Sounds cool? Oh yeah, wait till the kid are about to be transported, while they explode as in literally explode int ...more
Dani (Pen to Paper)
Sep 04, 2012 Dani (Pen to Paper) rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books
Like this review? I have more! Head over to my blog, Pen to Paper.

When I first heard about this book, I thought that it was going to be a really good, new Dystopian series - from the cover, it certainly looks like one, and it does have futuristic technology in it, as well as an element of fantasy.

However, what the book actually turned out to be, was more a science fiction thriller. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just that I had expected something a little different to what I actually r
Gabby
The Repossesstion is a an intense captivating action packed, thriller that is granted to leave you at the edge of your seat.

Genie Magee's mother along with menacing Reverend Schneider has imprisoned her,believing she is possessed and forbidding her from seeing Rian, love of her life that is until Rian sets her free and their escape washes them up at Marshall's remote farmhouse downriver. Genie meets Denis. Missing two years now, but hasn't grown an inch. Rian is haunted by Renée, who insists she
Rian 1 2 Jul 13, 2013 05:37AM
  • The Haunting of Tabitha Grey
  • India Dark
  • Fever (Parallon Trilogy, #1)
  • Mister Creecher
  • Earthfall
  • Cicada (Cicada, #1)
  • The Seeing
  • Angel Dust
  • How to Keep a Boy as a Pet (Circe Shaw, #1)
  • Tyme's End
  • Dark Eyes (Dark Eyes, #1)
  • Poltergeeks (Poltergeeks, #1)
  • Legend of Witchtrot Road (Spirit Guide, #3)
  • Burn Mark (Burn Mark, #1)
Sam Hawksmoor started writing after careers that involved travel, photography and teaching (running the Masters Programme in Creative Writing at Portsmouth University and Falmouth before that). He is the joint editor of Hackwriters.com - the writers magazine now in its 17th year.

His latest novel in 2016 is 'J&K 4Ever '
A story of love in a post-apocalypse.

Sam is the author of seven YA novels. T
More about Sam Hawksmoor...

Repossession (2 books)
  • The Hunting (Repossession, #2)