Start by marking “Taming the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #1)” as Want to Read:
Taming the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #1)

Taming the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  2,010 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Indulge your fantasies of delicious Regency Rakes, fierce Viking warriors and rugged Highlanders. Be swept away into a world of intense passion, lavish settings and romance that burns brightly through the centuries

Bought for the warrior’s bed!

Lady Jocelyn MacCallum had always believed she would marry for love. But the price of her brother’s freedom was to become fearsome

Kindle Edition, Mills & Boon Historical #1161, 304 pages
Published June 1st 2009 by Mills & Boon (first published July 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Taming the Highlander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taming the Highlander

Lemon
I am not sure if it's the Harlequin historicals that don't work for me or if I just don't care for this author's work since I really only read two of either and they have all been by the same author and publisher (quite unintentionally). I'm thinking the Harlequin historical "template" lacks the historical depth and background I enjoy reading in a historical romance novel. This is only my second book by this author and she is a good a writer and storyteller. I think I just don't care for stories ...more
Lover of Romance
This is the first time I have had a chance to read from this author, and I was impressed, especially since it was a bit shorter than what I usually like. I felt that it was a great read, and I really enjoyed the set of the story. It is set in a more medieval time period, back to the 1300's. It then sets the stage for a arranged marriage, which begins on a rocky start. Connor has no need for love or tenderness in his marriage, just his wife giving him a heir and then he plans on letting her go ba ...more
Laura V.
Feb 08, 2015 Laura V. marked it as descartado-en-los-primeros-caps  ·  review of another edition
Él todavía llora a su esposa. Ella se acuesta con él pensando en otro.
No hay manera que me crea un romance entre estos dos.
Amanda
Feb 23, 2017 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars
Maria Aguilar
Nov 22, 2016 Maria Aguilar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotic
I'm giving this a full 4 stars because it was good but there were part that I need to force to read or skip a bit.

The story begin with Conner first wife dead and making it look like he did it. With his wife dead he became a beast and laird of his kingdom and knowing that he need a wife to keep the line going. Then we switch to Jocelyn who is chosen to be the beast next bride and knowing that she has no chose because her family is in ruin accept the marriage. Once there she found out that her bro
Claudia
Connor is known as The Beast as it is rumored that he killed his first wife, which suited him just fine. But now he needs a wife and in exchange for her brothers life and support for her Clan, Jocelyn has to marry him.

At the beginning she has no real place in her new home but with time she finds not only her place but also her way to Connors heart.
Jocelyn is a great character. She is not the typical beauty portrait in such books but has a fierce and strong character and is very likeable
Connor i
Country Goose
Jan 19, 2015 Country Goose rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Worst Romance Ever

Why did I buy this book? It had good reviews, and the story looked promising.

I hated it. I hated it from the get go, and I tried so hard to enjoy it. Connor was whiny, broody, and in just a "pity-me" stage basically through the entire book. I was at 70% when I just couldn't take any more. It was predictable and horribly written... just, no. If you're a serious reader, don't waste your time.
GuisBell
Mar 12, 2017 GuisBell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lo-normal
Bueno la historia no fue tan impresionante como hubiera querido, pero no estaba mal.
Cata
Dec 04, 2011 Cata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Taming the Highlander" é um livro que se lê muito facilmente. A história base por assim dizer não é nenhuma novidade: Connor McLerie é o homem mais temido das Highlands, conhecido como "A Besta" depois de ter sido acusado de ter assassinado a sua primeira mulher. Agora que é laird e precisa de herdeiros, tem de casar outra vez. Porém, uma vez que os rumores da morte da sua primeira mulher se espalharam, esta é uma tarefa que não se revela fácil. Assim sendo, Connor recorrerá a um pequeno esquem ...more
Dawn
Apr 15, 2012 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the typical highlander book. Jocelyn has plans to marry the man who has fostered with her family for years. But Jocelyn's brother has been placed in jail by "the Beast" and her father has agreed to let the Beast marry her in exchange for her brother, supplies and becoming part of the Beast's clan which is great for the clan not to great for Jocelyn. Two hours later Jocelyn is torn from everyone she has ever known and thrown into th arms of a man who does not want a wife but needs a child ...more
Karen
Sep 07, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having read the third book in this series, I found myself very keen to get my hands on the first two books in the series. Unavailable through my usual sources I finally managed to track it down in ebook format through Borders' Australian website.
So glad I managed to find it because I really enjoyed this book. At times I was chuckling to myself and I really enjoyed the humour that Terri Brisbin wove throughout the story.
In the end I just adored Connor and Jocelyn and I can't wait to read my
May

I liked it

Scottish daughter of a laird forced to marry another clan laird whom they call a beast and most probably killed his first wife

It has been such a realistic book
In the beginning no one liked the other they referred to each other as Lady and Laird. Then they became a little bit closer and eventually they fell in love

I liked how she told him she loved him and how he showed her that he loves her
I liked Rurik I was looking forward to seeing him tie the knots with that widow
Maggie Hesseling
Feb 02, 2014 Maggie Hesseling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A sweet and spectacular retelling of Beauty and the Beast, but with a different ending. Brisbin makes this first novel not only really accessible, but exciting and interesting. With great characters that we'll see back at a later point in time, this novel not only lays the foundation fir what will become a wickedly good series, it gives a bang opening as well. By the end of the novel, like me, you'll be looking for the next part!
Luu
Nov 14, 2014 Luu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bueno bueno, ese es un libro que demuestra que no todos los libros de higlanders van a ser buenos. A pesar de que trata el amor no a primera vista, sino también al segunda amor, porque tanto Jocelyn como Connor tuvieron su primer amor antes de conocerse, y Connor quedó viudo. No me gustó que sea tan vueltero, a veces que se hablen se soluciona mucho.
La lectura... me hacia querer saltar partes. Me pareció que estuvo mal enfocado, al final no terminó de gustarme :/
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Jocelyn goes to Connor reluctantly, she believes the rumors that he is 'the beast of the highlands'. Connor has put up with the rumors, and sometimes aided them with his surly attitude, since his first wife's death. Coming together, Jocelyn has lightened his heart, made him laugh, and they found out a secret about his past. Love joins two unlikely candidates. Good 1st book in this trilogy!
Joan
Aug 25, 2012 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book alot, the main characters were very well developed and the main female was not wishy washy,not saying the same thing over and over and was strong in who she was. The storyline was very engaging and kept my interest, had lots of great scenes and a good pace. Look forward to reading more from this author.
Stefanie
Slow in the beginning then it picks up and has been a fast read since it picked up pace. Didn't want to put the book down once I got going into the story. Suspense, action, romance, some erotica, m/f, hot and steamy. Looking forward to rest of series.
Halime   Yazıcı
Aug 22, 2012 Halime Yazıcı rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
when I start to read this book I seemed I know this story but later this changed and onether story I discovered. that is good story sometimes happily sometimes sadly bad good story. I liked and I think I'II read other books of this author at first chance .
Pam
May 01, 2010 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Pam by: bookchaser
It was a typical Highlander book. There is a mystery of who really killed the lairds first wife. When the truth comes out about the killer the reader (me) has already figured out most of the scheme.
Jeny Breeden
Jul 06, 2008 Jeny Breeden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun book. A super easy read, took about 4 hours.
Anita Clenney
Apr 18, 2010 Anita Clenney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Liked the characters.
Tilequa
Nov 27, 2011 Tilequa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like a lot......he was kind of an ass
Aishah Bukhari
I LOVE Terri Brisbin's works! The books are superbly written!
Sara
Jul 27, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, scotland
Found this on a recommendation- I really liked it. Characters you can invest in and the story moves at a good pace. It is the first in a series, so now I have some catching up to do . . .
Heidi Smith
Aug 06, 2009 Heidi Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast reading...intersting to know the feelings behind arranged marriages.
Ann Unger
Dec 25, 2010 Ann Unger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it!
Aqua Woodard
Feb 23, 2013 Aqua Woodard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Nice Read enjoyed the story. Couldn't stop reading.
Jen
Apr 21, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took some time to really get into, for one reason or another...but overall, it's a good book!
Danette Steward
Apr 06, 2012 Danette Steward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First by this author. Pretty good.
KyleeJ
A great pick for any Historical Romance fan!
  • The Border Lord
  • Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie, #1)
  • Claimed by the Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, #1)
  • To Wed a Highlander (The McTiernays, #2)
  • To Conquer a Highlander (Highlander, #1)
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • Lord of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #1)
  • Highland Warrior (Campbell Trilogy, #1)
  • In the Master's Bed
  • The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1)
  • Highland Destiny (Magic of the Highlands, #1)
  • My Fierce Highlander (Highland Adventure, #1)
  • A Highlander Never Surrenders (MacGregors, #2)
  • The Sinner (Return of the Highlanders, #2)
Terri Brisbin is a USA TODAY Bestselling author and three-time RWA RITA® finalist, and has had her historical and paranormal romances published in more than 20 languages and 25 countries around the world since 1998. She’s written more than 33 novels, novellas and short stories for Berkley/Jove, Harlequin and Kensington Books. Now working on more romances for NAL/Signet and Harlequin, Terri has als ...more
More about Terri Brisbin...

The MacLerie Clan (8 books)
  • Surrender to the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #2)
  • Possessed by the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #3)
  • The Earl's Secret (The MacLerie Clan #4)
  • The Highlander's Stolen Touch (The MacLerie Clan #5)
  • At the Highlander's Mercy (The MacLerie Clan, #6)
  • The Highlander's Dangerous Temptation (The MacLerie Clan #7)
  • Yield to the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #8)