The Unmaking of Israel

The Unmaking of Israel

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In this penetrating and provocative look at the state of contemporary Israel, acclaimed Israeli historian and journalist Gershom Gorenberg reveals how the nation’s policies are undermining its democracy and existence as a Jewish state, and explains what must be done to bring it back from the brink. Refuting shrilldefenses of Israel and equally strident attacks, Gorenberg s...more
Unknown Binding, 336 pages
Published November 8th 2011 by Harper

The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen CorasantiMornings in Jenin by Susan AbulhawaGaza Writes Back by Refaat AlareerFast Times in Palestine by Pamela J. OlsonThe Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine by Ilan Pappé
Books on the Israel Palestine Conflict
98th out of 167 books — 445 voters
Self-Portrait Of A Hero by Jonathan NetanyahuBrotherhood of Warriors by Aaron CohenSecret Soldier by Moshe BetserThe Prime Ministers by Yehuda Avnerזכרונות אחרי מותי by Yair Lapid
Best Israeli books
32nd out of 34 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Holly
Jan 18, 2014 Holly added it
Shelves: 2012-reads
"For Israel to establish itself again as a liberal democracy, it must make three changes. First, it must end the settlement enterprise, end the occupation, and find a peaceful way to partition the land between the Jordan and the Mediterranean. Second, it must divorce state and synagogue -- freeing the state from clericalism, and religion from the state. Third and most basically, it must graduate from being an ethnic movement to being a democratic state in which all citizens enjoy equality."
Consideration for the Helen Bernstein Book Award for Excellence in Journalism
Sarah Bringhurst Familia
This is a valuable book for anyone seeking deeper insight into what makes Israel tick. The author, an Israeli by choice who immigrated there from the U.S. at the age of thirty, gives us a well-researched and cogent explanation of how Israeli policy vis-a-vis the Palestinians and Occupied Territories developed. Even more valuable, he helps the reader understand how this crucial and contentious issue overshadows and shapes internal policy, leading to unintended and disastrous consequences in many...more
Channing
I've had a strong interest in Israel since my childhood. Now that I've married into a Jewish family and I have friends and family members who live in Israel, the issues facing Israel and its people have taken on a heightened and much more personal sense of importance to me.

I can't remember for sure how I first heard about Gershom Gorenberg. It may have been from a radio interview or it may have been from my dad (who is also a big fan of his). Since then, I've taken to reading his blog posts reg...more
Andy Oram
Gorenberg has achieved a remarkable journalistic goal: he describes very shocking ideas and activities while showing the logic behind all sides and keeping the humanity of all participants in mind. Although many of the government and settler activities he describes are outrageous, and he let's us know his own outrage, he also lets his opponents speak and helps us to show why they think and act as they do. The history and political analysis leads up to the final chapter, which requires the backgr...more
Sally
Well written, well thought-out, clear and concise. I especially agreed with his views on (1) the importance of rule of law to maintaining a legitimate state and (2) the vital role of liberal arts education in a democracy.
Tobias
A truly superb, well-researched account of how colonization and the settler movement have gravely undermined Israeli democracy. He calls for an end to occupation for Israel's own good and considers how a two-state solution can promote individual rights on both sides of the Green Line, while still preserving Israel's identity as a Jewish state. He has no illusions about the difficulty of realizing his vision, but it is a vision worth considering.
Sean
A very thorough analysis of the weak points in the foundation of Israeli democracy from an author who loves his country. If the people of Israel can bring their state to enact the reforms advised by Gorenberg, I may see peace in the Middle East in my lifetime. He's hopeful, but does little to leave the reader the impression that there's a real chance to overcome the massive obstacles. Hard to see anything but further tragedy ahead.
Jeremy Tibbetts
An interesting read. Gershom Gorenberg gives a very good account of Israel up until 1967. I extensively checked his citations, and found that at the points when he most needed citations there were none. The height of his arguments often fell to conjecture or speculation. It is certainly an interesting opinion, but the use of the index is important when reading it.
Jon
Very solid book about the state of Israel. 220 pages of lament about the pathologies of Israel -- the growing Orthodoxy among the settlers, the government that fails to follow its own laws, the pyramid scheme of the haredi movement -- and 28 pages spelling out some sort of hope (if not pie-in-the-sky). I'd love to read an answer to this book from the "objective right."
The American Conservative
'This exceptional man has written a book, The Unmaking of Israel, about that exceptional state and its protracted and deepening crisis. And it is, appropriately enough, an exceptional contribution to the genre.'

Read the full review, "Is Israel a Failed State?" on our website:
David Walko
Very interesting critique of Israel. I learned much about the problems facing Israeli society today. The last chapter of the book offers solutions to the problems Gorenberg describes, and I believe he has the right of it.

The book is very easy read, I would suggest it to anyone who studies the region or conflict.
Len
The better of the two books by Gorenberg. Lays out the dilemma Israel has placed themselves in by hanging on to the West Bank and Gaza. Also describes the internal challenges Israel faces because of its dual identity as a secular and Jewish state.
Brent Robins
Extremely well researched and well presented. Almost essential reading for any Jew (or non-Jew) who wants to have a good understanding about the challenges that Israel faces today, how it got to this point, and what to do about it.
Chez Patrice
I wish every presidential candidate would read this book. It shows exactly why we should not have Israel setting America's foreign policy for us as it has for the last dozen years.
Genevieve
Really insightful. The book showed me a hidden side of Israel that I never knew existed.
Jakey Gee
Jabotinsky 0 Rabin 4.
Katie Corwin
Katie Corwin marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Wesley Machiela
Wesley Machiela marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
George
George marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Logan Blackisle
Logan Blackisle marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Basema
Basema marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Hiam T
Hiam T marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Steve Dustcircle
Steve Dustcircle marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The End of Days: Fundamentalism and the Struggle for the Temple Mount The Accidental Empire: Israel and the Birth of the Settlements, 1967-1977 Occupied Territories: The Untold Story Of Israel's Settlements Israel schafft sich ab Seventy Facets: A Commentary on the Torah: From the Pages of the Jerusalem Report