Start by marking “Highland Wolves” as Want to Read:
Highland Wolves

Highland Wolves (The Highland Wolves #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  418 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Ulrich is tired of being far from home. He misses the high mountains of his homeland, the familiarity and comfort of living amongst Pack. The thin, weak wolves of the lowlands grate, and he is ready to be done with his duty to the King and return home. Sent on assignment to find the reason behind the death of a fellow wolf, he hopes that by fulfilling the mission, he will...more
Published May 7th 2011 by Less Than Three Press (first published May 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Highland Wolves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Wolves

Truth in the Dark by Amy LaneHis Hearth by Mary CalmesCounterpoint by Rachel HaimowitzBloodraven by P.L. NunnSkin Deep by S.W. Vaughn
Best Gay Elves, Gods, Deity & Wizards
63rd out of 260 books — 263 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevillePromises by Marie SextonFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsCaught Running by Madeleine Urban
Gay Romance that's NOT Insta-Love
146th out of 400 books — 533 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This is one of my favorite books for two reasons: there is no sex, just some kissing, so definitely more plot than sex and it involves wolf shifters, where you actually read about them in their wolf form. I was engaged throughout this whole book and I couldn’t have put it down if I tried.

I loved the two separate sections. You get to experience the beginning of how Ulrich and Grosvenor meet under not so friendly terms, Grosvenor’s reluctance to accept Ulrich’s help since he’s been burned in the p...more
Nina
So cute! Love MD's writing, descriptive but not too drawn out, and the fantasy world is barely sketched, but intriguing and it provides just the right depth of background for such a short story. The double POV, one in each story, was done well as the mc's voices are quite different and each story has a main happening centered around one of them ("investigation" for Ulrich and new pack for Grosvenor). I love how the story of Hansel and Gretel was tied in.
I can see a possible story for Detlef... p...more
Jimmy Hanson
Enchanting, as most novels or novellas by Megan Derr are. The fairy-tale tie in goes nicely with the unique environment and world-building that she creates, and it was a fairy-tale very rarely touched on in re-writes, which was refreshing.

Past that, the relationship between Ulrich and Grosvenor is a heart-string case. The whole damn-you-why-do-you-make-me-smile type relationship that never fails to get me every time.

In the second portion, when Grosvenor returns with Ulrich, I think Derr did very...more
Fehu
Cute story with a fairytale twist of Hensel and Gretel in it and wolf-shifters! So yes this one goes to my favorites. It was not instant love; they actually disliked and mistrusted each other quite a bit in the beginning.

Ulrich is a wolf shifter and was send to find out about the disappearance of two other wolf guards near a dark wood. There he finds more than he bargained for, children have been missing and a mage, who is also a wolfgiven but who lives with humans and has nothing friendly to...more
L-D
4.5 stars.

I really enjoyed this shifter/mage book. I must really like this paranormal combination because I recently read Mind Magic and enjoyed that book as well. I liked this book slightly better because I felt there was stronger character development. I loved both Ulrich, the 7th son of his Alpha, as well as Grosvenor, the wild mage recluse. I also enjoyed the way this book was in two parts with the first part being Ulrich's POV and the second part being Grosvenor's POV. Like many of Megan De...more
Miss Asima
'Ulrich' was quite a captivating read, I loved it. In part one it had a very whimsical, fairy tale like quality to it. Plus there's a little Hanzel and Gretel twist thrown in. It read very smoothly and fast and was entertaining the whole way. Part two was all about the romance and very well done. It read very much like a YA romance. Which I guess it could be I'm not sure (??). But unlike most YA I read I didn't get bored. I quickly fell in love with them and couldn't stop reading to find out if...more
Sui Lynn
I really enjoyed this story. It has a few sweet moments and is very angst filled. There is a lot of conflict and the added touch of the Hansel and Gretel story as well as a couple other fairy tales was a bonus for me. I must say if you are looking for a sex filled shifter story, this is not the book for you. Not one love scene in this book. To be honest I didn't really miss the sex but I would have liked a bit more in the ending with Ulrich and his mage.

Still, this is a very nice story and a go...more
Tj
This story was built into a fair tale world. There is the story of Hansel and Gretel and I see a hint of red riding hood. Ulrich is the seventh son of the alpha of his pack. He is fulfilling his duty to the king and has nearly completed it when he meets Grosvenor the huntsman and wild mage. Grosvenor isn't happy to see him and remains with a grumpy attitude throughout the book. Ulrich sees an opportunity to bring a new wild mage to his pack and convinces Grosvenor to go home with him. Of course...more
Helene
A mix between a shifter romance and a fairy tale. A sweet lovestory between the seventh son of an alpha - Ulrich - and a wild mage - Grosvenor - who has been exiled from his former pack. The two meet and work together to rescue the grandaughter of Gretel (as in Hans and Gretel) from a "new" evil witch in a gingerbread house.
Ulrich convinces Grosvenor to return to his pack with him, even though he knows that he, as a low rank seventh son, will have no chance of marrying the mage. Of course every...more
LdDurham
It was okay. It started out really strong and interesting, then kind of petered out. It followed very similar tropes of "I can't tell him I want him. I must not say it," which is annoying, even if these characters had a more convincing reason than most others that use it. The bad guy was lackluster and the climax was a bit of the same. So, it was enjoyable as a story, just not ah-mazing. Which, you know, is just fine. We need those kind of stories. They give us comfort and that's just as importa...more
Alex Mar
Snowtulip
3.5

This was a quick sweet story which I felt I really wanted to see more of Ulrich and Grosverors interactions. The fairy tale element was interesting, but I would have liked more wolf world building. Good read.
Jojo
I am always impressed with Megan's world creation and this story is no exception. I declared myself bored with werewolf stories ages ago. This story has changed my mind. I can't wait to read more of the Highland Wolves.
Sherry
This is the 3rd story I've read by this author.....I'm done. Weak and abrupt stories that are completely predicable are disappointing and not even in the realm of a "good but mindless read" for me.
Lady*M
Very sweet and the characters are endearing. Megan Derr's trademark story. I enjoyed it very much and I recommend it to everyone who wants a nice and relaxing read.
Merith
I love wolf-shifter stories and this one was wonderful. I love the world Megan has created and can't wait to read more.
Jp
This story was quite amazing actually. I enjoyed it a lot. Hope to read more in this series at some point!
Lily
I really enjoyed this sweet shifter story, especially the fairytale aspect. Very nicely done.
Tamela
Enjoyable story. New idea... wolf given. I like it and will read more.
Mai
Cute puppies!

No, really. Its a good story.
Chail
Chail marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • That Famous Happy End
  • Arson of the Heart
  • Raven and the Wolf (Eyrder Saga, #1)
  • Azure Seas & Dragon Isles
  • Body Magic (Triad, #2)
  • Gatekeeper
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords, #2)
  • Dragon Slayer
  • Goblins, Book One
  • The Servant
  • Galen and the Forest Lord
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
  • Ghost (Wolf's-own, #1)
  • Kei's Gift (Darshian Tales, #1)
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com
maderr.tumblr.com
maderr.livejournal.com
less...more
More about Megan Derr...
The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1) The High King's Golden Tongue (Love is Always Write) Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2) Dance with the Devil (Dance with the Devil, #1) Prisoner (Kria, #1)