Le Marin de Gibraltar

Le Marin de Gibraltar

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Un homme qui veut changer sa vie s'engage sur un bateau. Sur ce bateau il y a une femme qui court le monde à la recherche du marin de Gibraltar qu'elle a aimé et qui a disparu. L'amour naît entre l'homme qui veut changer sa vie et la femme qui cherche le marin de Gibraltar. Ensemble, ils vont rechercher avec scrupule ce marin disparu. S'ils le trouvent ce sera la fin de le...more
Published June 1st 1977 by Gallimard (first published 1952)

Manny
If Le Marin de Gibraltar Were A Woman

- Yo, DUDE!

- Uh, sorry. I didn't see you.

- I've been waving to you for the last five minutes.

- Um... I was thinking about something else.

- And where've you BEEN? I've called a bunch of times, and you never get back to me.

- Oh, you know, busy...

- Who is she?

The rest of this review is in my book What Pooh Might Have Said to Dante and Other Futile Speculations
Maren
I confess that in spite of having studied French I had never read Marguerite Duras until picking up The Sailor From Gibraltar. It is a stunning gem of a book. I found myself wanting to put it down not because it wasn’t good but because it was too effective. The kind of malaise, boredom, and drunken, sun-addled stupor in which the characters are adrift comes off the page and settles on the reader.

The plot is deceptively simple; it starts with the narrator, who is on vacation from a Bartleby-like...more
Karlo Mikhail
The sailor from Gibraltar, that enigmatic creation of Marguerite Duras, that unattainable figure that you go on in search of your whole life aimlessly, akin to that of the Zahir in Borges’ fictions or the Grail in Arthurian legends. In The Sailor of Gibraltar, Anna searches for her wandering lover – a sailor who was once retrieved off the coast of Gibraltar – all over the world in a luxury yacht.

But before this whole pursuit of the sailor from Gibraltar takes the main stage, we are first told of...more
M

Bored with his job, tired of his fiance, a civil servant walks away from it all. He joins a mysterious, ridiculously wealthy woman sailing the Mediterranean and the African coast in search of her lover (the sailor in the title).

During the course of the voyage, she tells him the story of her life. Former crew members contact her with reports of "sightings" of the sailor. These take them on onshore adventures.

But mostly they talk - and drink. She has nothing in life to do except look for the sail...more
Edith
A Man, A Woman, A Search For Love and Happiness:
The Sailor from Gibraltar by Marguerite Duras

Abridged version of my review posted on Edith’s Miscellany on 27 September 2013

The story of The Sailor from Gibraltar begins on a hot day in August 1947. The nameless narrator and his fiancée Jacqueline are on holidays in Italy. He’s fed up with virtually all aspects of his life: he hates his job, loathes his colleagues and stays together with Jacqueline out of habit. The couple moves from Florence on t...more
Allan
A languid, tropical meditation on boredom, desire and an obsessive quest. [return][return]Cigarettes, whiskey and the ironic conversation of a broad cast of interesting characters carries what is, essentially, a travel novel that journeys across Italy, through the Mediterranean, Tangier and the north coast of Africa, south to the tropics, leaving the sea and ending in the dense humidity of the Congo.[return][return]The book is narrated by a man vacationing in Italy shortly after the war, bored a...more
Graham Binner
Another wonderful novel from Marguerite Duras. At first, I wasn't sure if I would like this as much as the 2 previous novels that I read - Cantabile Moderato and The Lover. This novel is about twice the length and in Part One of the Sailor from Gibraltar I felt that there were a few passages that lacked the conciseness and intensity that I had found in her other novels. However, it is not long before Duras starts to work her usual magic. The whole of Part Two (the bulk of the novel) is spellbind...more
Ahmad
عشق، سرکشی، هیجان، درد و هجران آن، رسیدن به معشوق و سپس فارغ شدن و ملال و دلزدگی. تبدیل عشق از حالت رویایی و افسانه‌وار به حالتی زمینی، انسانی و شاید معمولی. دوراس عشقی را برمی‌گزیند که فارغ از ملال و روزمرگی‌ها باشد. دریانورد جبل‌الطارق تا وقتی که آن موجود آزاده و سرکش و فراری و غیر دست یافتنی است می‌تواند شعله‌ی عشق را در دل زن برافروزد، در غیر این صورت مردی می‌شود شبیه همه‌ی مردهای دیگر
S'hi
Oct 30, 2012 S'hi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: escapists from love
A relentless book, pushing on in its steady pace in such a way that makes it difficult to leave. Though little action, its line of narrative through conversations of retellings make it compelling to the point of obsession. There are hints of escape, yet such escape is still threaded at a distance only to be coiled back in by the central theme. Intriguing.
Diana
MARVELOUS! The story rolls along like the Mediterranean, its easy to picture the characters against an unchanging backdrop of endless sun and sea. Emotional distance has never been so enthralling.
Carol
LOVED this book - one of my all-time favorites - (although I didn't read it in French...this site doesn't have an english version so I had to choose the French one)
Susan
Well not a lot goes on really. She sure keeps us interested but up until the bitter end I still hoped for the big pay-off but there really wasn't one.
Stephanie
This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. It's not only the changes within a person, but a journey, both figuratively and actually.
Marc Dupuy
Marurite Duras dans tout sa beauté littéraire... Je redécouvre le Marin de Gibraltar, et toujours aussi séduit par son style unique !
Janice
Perfectly captures the feeling of post-WW II malaise. But, is that a good thing?
Randy
A search for life!
A search for love.
A search for identity.
Stef Onthesea
Very beautiful story. A flavor of sailing and love.
Clemente Jacques
if you can, read this one in french. is Fantastic!
Amina
It's no Ravishing of Lol Stein, but I liked it.
Ester Silva
O meu livro preferido de sempre....5* é pouco!
cindy
my new favourite book
Helena
marguerite duras universe at her best.
Elvire
Elvire marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Theresa
Theresa is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2014
The
The marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
  • Karaoke Culture
  • Fanfan
  • The Danzig Trilogy: The Tin Drum / Cat and Mouse / Dog Years
  • Enfance
  • A Máquina de Joseph Walser (O Reino, #2)
  • The Collected Stories
  • Remembrance of Things Past: Volume II - The Guermantes Way & Cities of the Plain
  • Yalo
  • Master and Man and Other Stories
  • Words Without Borders: The World Through the Eyes of Writers: An Anthology
  • Olivia: A Novel
  • The Natural Order of Things
  • A Dictionary of Maqiao
  • Pictor's Metamorphoses and Other Fantasies
  • The Cyclist Conspiracy
Marguerite Donnadieu, better known as Marguerite Duras (pronounced [maʀgəʁit dyˈʁas] in French) (April 4, 1914 – March 3, 1996) was a French writer and film director.

She was born at Gia-Dinh, near Saigon, French Indochina (now Vietnam), after her parents responded to a campaign by the French government encouraging people to work in the colony.

Marguerite's father fell ill soon after their arrival,...more
More about Marguerite Duras...
The Lover Hiroshima mon amour Moderato cantabile The Ravishing of Lol Stein The North China Lover