Start by marking “Tarzan and the City of Gold (Tarzan, #16)” as Want to Read:
Tarzan and the City of Gold (Tarzan, #16)

Tarzan and the City of Gold (Tarzan #16)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  975 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Tarzan rescues the stranger Valthor from the murderous "shiftas". On his way home he is seized by Nemone's warriors and is taken prisoner to the amazing City of Gold. 12 interior illustrations by Jesse Marsh. Dust jacket by Don McLaughlin.
Published 1941 by John Lane The Bodley Head (first published 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Tarzan and the City of Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tarzan and the City of Gold

Werner
Mar 19, 2015 Werner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of adventure stories; Tarzan fans
Note, March 19, 2015: I just edited this review, mostly to correct typos and make it read more smoothly, but the changes aren't substantive.

I picked this book to read because I was under the misapprehension that it was the same one I started to read, as a kid, at somebody else's house, and then never had occasion to go back. It turned out NOT to be that book after all; that one was actually The Return of Tarzan. But since I'd gotten this one, I read it, and found it to a solid adventure yarn, wr
Ray Palmer
Jul 01, 2015 Ray Palmer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever since Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle Tarzan has been playing a supporting role in his own series in a sequence of other people's one-off adventures. Tarzan and the City of Gold is a return to form and the best Tarzan novel since Tarzan and the Golden Lion. It's especially refreshing since the previous Tarzan novel, Tarzan Triumphant, was particularly bad.

The land of Cathne is vintage Burroughs, a place where lions live among men and the city is covered in gold. And where the people display the
Rob Roy
Dec 08, 2009 Rob Roy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
While still a classic pot boiler from the pen of Edgar Rice Burroughs, there is a good deal of tongue in cheek humor here, from the cell mate that tells Tarzan that he is a weakling, to a mad queen in love with the Ape Man. What a movie this one would have made.
Rachel
Jan 24, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Certain latitudes are due to science-fiction books in general - and yes, this qualifies as science-fiction, since the whole thing rests on the premise of a man raised by apes. (We have to count biology as a science, I guess.) These latitudes include Tarzan's strength, speed, and ability to learn any language in a matter of a day. Certain latitudes are also due to a book written in 1932. These include the strangely Greek-inspired names of the Africans - although it took me about halfway through t ...more
Charles
Jul 27, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Not one lost city, but two. Oh my! Love it.
Howard
Aug 01, 2015 Howard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all 24 of the Tarzan books. Read dates are from the mid 1970s through 1982. I thoroughly enjoyed all of the Tarzan books. They made a great escape from high school and college. I still have all 24 books and they are at the top of my book shelf. I thought it was pretty neat to find the actual covers listed on Goodreads and there are no barcodes on the books, plus the cover price ranged from $1.50-1.95 for each book.
David
Tarzan and the City of Gold (Tarzan #16) by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Ballantine 1932) (Fiction). Tarzan rescues an Athene warrior from the shiftas. He is later captured by people from Othnar and is forced to fight in the arena, defeating first the Othnarian's strongest warrior and later the queen's pet lion. Tarzan manages to defeat the lion only because his faithful lion friend intervenes. My rating: 7/10, finished 1973.
Neil
Apr 13, 2011 Neil rated it liked it
Tarzan is wandering aimlessly through Africa, he comes upon a pair of warring cities belonging to a lost civilization, yes we've heard it all before. The queen of one of which falls madly in love with the ape-man, yes we've heard it all before. That said this isn't as bad as it might be. In fact the mad Queen Nemone is rather more than just a clone of La of Opar and her advances to Tarzan seemingly make him forget all about Jane who never gets so much as a mention! Jad-Bal-Ja makes a spectacular ...more
R.L.
Sep 05, 2014 R.L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tarzan is back with a few more clothes here. He is learning more about the human race and their cities. As mankind races to amass riches, Tarzan is caught between the greed and avarice of the humans and the conflicts within the ape tribes. The third book in the series.
Derek
Mar 22, 2011 Derek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pulp, lost-city
An extremely brisk and entertaining read.

The machinations of the city of Cathne were interesting to consider: a conflicted yet insane queen manipulated behind the scenes by a motley crew. Their motivations weren't clearly spelled out, especially the mysterious slave M'duze, whose hold over the queen is never explained.

The tail end feels hurried...I almost wonder if Burroughs had some greater ambition or plan but ran out of time or ambition or something. The city of Athnea, the Ivory City, is onl
Geneva
May 18, 2013 Geneva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I would have enjoyed this far more if I hadn't spent the whole book wondering what the hell had happened to Jane. Tarzan's obviously already discovered that he's a British lord, which means he must have met and married Jane (so it's not a prequel) but she's never mentioned and he spends all of his time galavanting in the wilds with some native queen. Did Jane die in some book that I missed? Now I have to go back and read the whole series again from the beginning.
Lew
Nov 29, 2013 Lew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
I was a big ERB fan growing up. It had been many years since I had read my last Tarzan book. This was a nice re-introduction. Maybe not as good as the earlier Tarzan books but after about twenty-five years since I read book 15, it was an easy read and kept my interest. I found Tarzan's relationship with Queen Nemone very interesting. This is the fourth ERB book I have read in the past year and I'm glad to rediscover him.
Mark
Sep 23, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tarzan finds yet another lost civilization, Africa seems to be teeming with them. But even with Burroughs repeating himself, the stories are so entertaining and the Tarzan character so intriguing, you really don't care.

Once again, great fun with the mighty Ape-man!
Keith
Jan 04, 2013 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
An excellent Tarzan book I read in the 1960's.
Queen Nemone of Cathne captures Tarzan. The beautiful but insane Queen Nemone forces him to fight in the arena. Tarzan fights the cities arena hero. Later, Tarzan also fights a lion. After many adventures in the book Tarzan triumps.
Jan 24, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-ya
In the fabled land of Onthar lie the twin cities of Cathne and Athne - one a city of gold, the other a city of ivory. For generations the Cathneans and Athneans have warred with one another, using armies of trained lions and elephants.
Cecil
May 07, 2013 Cecil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While the plot was entertaining, it was also very easy to figure out exactly what was going to happen next. I didn't find it nearly as good as some of the other Tarzan novels.
Butterflykatana
Yay Tazan on another adventure read this years ago as a teen. Yaa yaa the cover got me lol it was a fun read and its still on 1 of my shelfs.
Phillip
Feb 09, 2012 Phillip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the great Tarzan books.

With Burroughs there are lots of boilerplate books, especially in series.
Linda Jacobs
Tarzan wanders into a city where he is suspected of being an assassin to the queen. Jad-bal-ja saves the day.
Barbara
Is this the one with the lions trained to pull the queen's carriage? Way better than the Windsor Greys-
Ailish
Not much jungle in this one, but there are plenty of lions.
Lenny
Good story. Remember reading it in fourth grade.
Harold
Sep 13, 2012 Harold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GREAT reading!
Michael
Dec 01, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good novel within the Tarzan series. Jane is long forgotten as Tarzan explores another part of the jungle and becomes prisoner to a beautiful, though evil, queen. Doesn't break any new ground but is an enjoyable read if you accept Edgar Rice Burrough's conventions - good triumphs over evil, lots of coincidences, animals nobler than man.
Nancy Laney
Tarzan Book 16
Bill Odders
Bill Odders rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Lynda
Lynda is currently reading it
May 23, 2016
Claude
Claude marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan: The Land That Time Forgot
  • Hadon of Ancient Opar
  • The Solar Queen (Solar Queen, #1-2)
  • Tritium Gambit
  • Harvard Classics:  Five Foot Bookshelf
  • The Complete Terry and the Pirates, Vol. 1: 1934-1936
  • Time and Mr. Bass (Mushroom Planet, #6)
  • The Dancing Floor (Sir Edward Leithen, #3)
  • The Repairman
  • Hyperborea
  • Huntbrother
  • Dream Thief
  • Blackstone (Arravan, #2)
  • Implant
  • Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy, #1)
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...

Tarzan (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1)
  • The Return of Tarzan (Tarzan, #2)
  • The Beasts of Tarzan (Tarzan, #3)
  • The Son of Tarzan (Tarzan, #4)
  • Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar (Tarzan, #5)
  • Jungle Tales of Tarzan (Tarzan, #6)
  • Tarzan the Untamed (Tarzan, #7)
  • Tarzan the Terrible (Tarzan, #8)
  • Tarzan and the Golden Lion (Tarzan, #9)
  • Tarzan and the Ant Men (Tarzan, #10)