Start by marking “Obey: Supply and Demand” as Want to Read:
Obey: Supply and Demand

Obey: Supply and Demand

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,694 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Supply and Demand is the book that finally does justice to Shepard Fairey's entire body of work, a massive retrospective covering 17 Years of this groundbreaking artist's prodigious output. Through the lens of esteemed writers and critics such as Carlo McCormick, Steven Heller and Roger Gastman, Fairey's work is seen for all its depth and placed in context as art, design, ...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Gingko Pr Inc

To ask other readers questions about Obey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Obey

(More pictures at

I like the cover treatment for this book. The spine part is clothed, but the cover is clad with nice textured canvas. This book is really thick at 446 pages and there's a poster provided, the one with roses in three guns.

This is also the 20th anniversary edition, which expands upon the 2006 version of Supply and Demand by 96 pages. It includes art created for, but not authorised by, the Obama campaign.

Compared to the other book I have, E Pluribus Venom, this boo
Chris Lockhart
A well produced book with very good reproductions. The text is a collection of short essays regarding Obey Giant, Fairey, and his heroes written by various authors including the artist himself. This provides an interesting and entertaining review of his career.

All of the artwork is engaging and beautiful. He is extremely good at what he does. Unfortunately, a book of this scope reveals an apparent reluctance to move too far outside the brand he created for himself twenty years ago. That's the on
Kristen Northrup
Although I was familiar with both the Obey and the Obama campaigns, what actually got my attention and led to buying this book was the Orwell paperback covers that Fairey recently did for Penguin UK. The whole run of black/red political currency posters that are like a cross between Constructivism and William Morris are consistently stunning. The printing quality of the book itself is pretty shoddy, however. By the time I was done reading it, the back cover and the spine had completely come away ...more
Random  75
... The Big Swindle, if you are a Rebel you are also part of the SISTEM, Just OBEY.
This was a pretty cool way to read about how the Obey campaign started and evolved. I loved getting Shepard's side of how murals were created and how this global entity came from making stickers.

There's 20 years of art work in this book and I'm sure it's not even close to everything he's produced. I was really surprised to see that Shepard is the greater of some mainstream work that in familiar with.

All in all, it was informative and fun to look at.
Charles Satterfield
Supply and Demand is a biography about the artist Frank Shepard Fairey. The book follows Fairey throughout his life from childhood to current career. The biography talks about the messages behind his art and the recent, "Obama 08" fiasco. The book is a must read for all street art fans and has an inspiring story.

The reason I love this book so much is because I invest a majority of my time in the arts and I think that art is something that people cant live without and the history behind the work
Enlightening and refreshing new aspect to contemporary culture. Highly recommended to anyone who has an interest in OBEY and counter culture ideology.
One of the best graffiti artists out there with a distinct mind to acompany the book. You get to understand the mind of the artist as he develops over time into one of the best and most important political artists of our day. He basically made Obama president with his Hope poster, which he was later sued by the judges under Obama administration. This works show the true power of propaganda type work and the dangers of advertising. If you ever get to see the work in person, I would highly recomme ...more
I enjoyed reading about the origins of the Andre the Giant sticker and its evolution. There's a nice amount of text, it doesn't bog down the book. The content is well organized in that it shows the evolution of Fairey's style, yet groups works on similar topics from different points in his career to show their enduring influence.
I have a love/hate relationship with the idea of Shepard Fairey. This book is cool though. I suppose if you want an all-in-one item that will quell your Obey hunger forever, this is the jam.
I just can't miss anything from Shepard Fairey. It's a photo book from one of the most influential artist in the century, a killer photo collection. A grade, as always!
it's not about shit tag, it's real street art
it's a campaign & propaganda for world peace
it's a great book (i mean actually great book)
What a treat! Very thorough glimpse into the art of Shepard Fairey. Makes me want to go out and sticker bomb my neighborhood.
Brenda Haroutunian
The monograph provides a thorough examination of the artist's sensibility.
fantastic art. I keep this book at arms length and constantly flip through it for inspiration.
Johnny Galt
Apr 15, 2012 Johnny Galt marked it as to-read
I own a signed copy dedicated to me. How can I not give it 5 stars. Thanks Shepard!
Just a beautiful and exceptionally thorough overview of an amazing artist's work.
really good graphics art, lots about obey
think (sm)ART...!!!
Jalu murti
Oct 04, 2007 Jalu murti rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Kendall Moore
Kendall Moore marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Matthew Scott
Matthew Scott marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Shiv marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Matteo Marziali
Matteo Marziali marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
  • Beautiful Losers: Contemporary Art and Street Culture
  • Art of Modern Rock: The Poster Explosion
  • Existencilism
  • Subway Art
  • Banksy Locations & Tours: A Collection of Graffiti Locations and Photographs in London, England
  • Graffiti Women: Street Art from Five Continents