Don't Ever Change

Don't Ever Change

2.82 of 5 stars 2.82  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This is a SHORT STORY about6750 words long which would translate to about 30 printed pages.

Don't Ever Change is a stand alone short story.
Published May 6th 2011 by John H. Carroll (first published February 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Ever Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Ever Change

george
I loved the premise of this short story -- a woman returns to her high school 23 years after she graduates to find Adam, a fellow classmate. Only Adam hasn't changed. At all. He's still18 with acne, the same parachute pants and letterman jacket. Everyone wrote in his yearbook, "Don't ever change." And he didn't.

Somewhere around page five the enticing premise became horror. Literal horror with excessive violence and horror that a story with so much promise turned bad so quickly. Not impressed.
Wendy
This was a blissfully short story. I liked the premise of someone being stuck in high school, but the writing was high school level, and the ending was very weak. There was some gratuitous violence and obvious exposition, and the initial potential the story had was ruined after the protagonist leaves the school.

Luckily, the Kindle version was free on Amazon, and it didn't take me long to read.
Michele
Synopsis:

High school was a time of fond memories for Lori. Twenty three years later, she's back in town for her mother's funeral. Not wanting to deal with family right away after a long drive, she roams around town, only to find herself in front of her old school.
On a whim, she decides to sneak through a hole in the fence and take a look around. The last thing she expected was to find a classmate from long ago. Even more shocking was the fact that he hadn't changed even a little bit; right down...more
Chris
This was an interesting premise. In the description it talks about how terrifying it would be if we never changed. If one person was stuck in the same moment forever it could be absolutely frustrating and possibly terrifying. In this short story Adam has not changed one day since he was a senior in high school. HE is forced to live the same year over and over never being able to leave town, or even change his clothes.

This short is not written as part of the stories for demented children series...more
Matthew Fisher
The concept behind this story is alright, it could have potential, but the writing and the way it was approached was not good at all. The writing was pretty much all telling, no showing, and it took a completely uninteresting turn by the end.

I feel as though Carroll assumes the worst of his readers. All details in the beginnings of his stories are dropped in so blatantly that it's actually annoying. Sometimes I want to figure things out for myself, not simply be told "in her past she was this,"...more
Marie
Shudderingly Creepy.
It takes real talent to use a common setting that every one of us is at least vaguely familiar with and turn it into a chilling story that will grab your brain periodically and worry "did I possibly do that to anyone?"

Lori was a popular girl in high school, mostly because she was nice to everyone. Back in town 23 years later for her mother's funeral, she will learn first hand how innocent-seeming actions from the high-school years can have devastating consequences.

Don't read...more
Nenette
This is like an episode in the Twilight Zone - a short story about a high school nerd who never moved on, literally. I like the way the story was structured; it was straightforward enough to still keep the reader guessing of what would happen in the end.

The author has a lot of short stories to his credit, but the theme is mostly for young readers. They're free so sucker me would still get and read them :-)
Teresa Garcia
This one actually managed to creep me out. I have some good memories of high school, but I would not want to be stuck as a high school student forever and my father possibly having become a zombie due to some curse.

I also never use "don't ever change" any more due to reading this story. Well done.
Trish Arrowsmith
The story itself was written very well. The downfall was that the summary of the story was pretty much the entire story. The ending left something to be desired, it just simply ended with no real conclusion. Another 5 pages or so and this story could really have been something.
♥SugarFlower♥
Ummmmm... it was a little disturbing..... I didn't expect that ending.... I was like WTF?!
But otherwise, intresting concept, unexpected endings, and murder... Just what I love in a story...
It was dramatic too. Like General Hostpital type of drama...
Heather
This story was creepy and odd, with a very weak ending. I don't know what I can really say about it without giving anything away. If you can get it free or borrow it from someone it might be worth the read, but I wouldn't pay for it.
Sarah Wright
I started reading this book and had forgotten that it was a thriller. It was still a good story...good premise, etc.

I'm not usually a horror/thriller reader, but I liked this story.
Naomi
"Don't ever change".... I wonder how many times I wrote that in a year book. This short story was very Alfred Hitchcockish (if I can make up a word...) I very much enjoyed it.
Nancy
this is a short story written with a nice premise which could have been developed more. it would have been better to leave the story at a cliffhanger but the story ended happily.
David
Very good premise, but the end was fairly abrupt. I think this story could have been developed into a much longer work.
Peacegal
Much better job from this prolific ebook author. The storyline reminds me of the Fear Street books I used to read as a teen.
Cathy
Free Kindle download. Short story. Be careful what you write in someone's yearbook. It may come back to bite you.
Sookie!!!
L'histoire est interessante et bien écrite mais le final m'a laissé un peu dubitative.
Becky
Different, good story but the ending was too neat for me. I'm twisted LOL
Anne
Disturbing that people think this way...
Sonia Trevino
Sonia Trevino marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Tracy Lare
Tracy Lare marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Dana Wallace
Dana Wallace marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Tasha Turner
Tasha Turner marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
John H. Carroll was the youngest of seven children and was born in Atlanta, Georgia in 1970 where he was kept in a dresser drawer with the clean socks. Luckily, he wasn’t kept with the dirty socks or else he might have grown up to become slightly warped.

As a child, John spent most of his time wandering through the Mojave Desert in an attempt to avoid people. He would stare at the sky, imagining wh...more
More about John H. Carroll...
The Emo Bunny That Should Rojuun (Willden #1) Zachary Zombie and the Lost Boy Attack Of The Sugar Plum Fairies A New Pet in the Family