Start by marking “Freaks (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #8.5)” as Want to Read:
Freaks (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #8.5)

Freaks (Rizzoli & Isles #8.5)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  4,012 ratings  ·  367 reviews
A bizarre death comes with a supernatural twist. Homicide cop Jane Rizzoli and medical examiner Maura Isles have seen their fair share of mortal crimes, but the death of Kimberly Rayner may qualify as inhuman in more ways than one. When corpse of the emaciated seventeen-year-old girl is discovered next to an empty coffin in an abandoned church, mysterious bruises around th ...more
Published May 31st 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published May 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Freaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freaks

Wendy Darling
3.5 stars Free download info below. It's actually pretty reassuring to read this book. After the goofiness of the TNT show and the good-but-not-great Ice Cold, it's nice to be back in the familiar world of Jane Rizzoli and the gruesome crimes she investigates with the help of Medical Examiner Maura Isles.

Freaks is a short story that the author wrote for her fans in anticipation of The Silent Girl, which will be out in July. As with all short stories, the pacing is occasionally a little rushed an
Shovelmonkey1
Jun 13, 2012 Shovelmonkey1 rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are already in love with riz and isles
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: kindle freeness
Yes this was a kindle freebie and yes, if something is free on kindle I will immediately read it because kindle freeness will undoubtedly go on trumping my discerning literary brain cell ever time. Damn you tricksy Kindle!

I've never read any Gerritsen before and even though I am not a fan of crime/cop fiction generally, I've been around the block (and the ASDA Walmart wall of pop' books) enough times to recognize that Gerritsen is a big name in the world of crime fiction. I'm not sure why I avo
Eric
Jun 15, 2012 Eric rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the TV show
The price was right, as I got it on Amazon.com for free, thanks to the heads up of one of my Goodreads friends.

The length of the story is estimated at 49 pages, but between the copyright info and 'also by this author' stuff at the beginning, a preview of the new Rizzoli & Isles novel afterward, a script of a scene from the show after that, and an ad for the show's new season, the actual short story couldn't be longer than 15-20 pages. The entire premise of the story could have been written o
Lakis Fourouklas
The main protagonists in this short story by Tess Gerritsen, which only came out as an eBook, are the usual suspects: detective Jane Rizzoli and -“the queen of the dead”- medical examiner Maura Isles.
The events of this case take place during one of the coldest winters in history in Boston, where the local police discovers the corpse of a young woman in a deserted church. Kimberly Rayner, as is the victim’s name, looks undernourished and seems to have been strangled to death. While Rizzoli and I
Jinky
(3.5)
I've seen a few of the Rizzoli & Isles TV series and I like them. I didn't realize that they were based on books so when I saw this short story on Amazon's Kindle freebies, I downloaded it. I wasn't disappointed. It was a quick taste of what you might find on the TV series. This particular story was vampire-ish and quite captivating. I totally pictured the TV stars, Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander (cover photo), acting this out so I was able to identify with the personalities of the ch
Brenda
This short story by Tess Gerritsen is quick and quirky....

Homicide cop Jane Rizzoli called medical examiner Maura Isles to an abandoned and rundown church in Boston, after they discovered an emaciated seventeen year old girl, Kimberley Rayner, lying dead on the floor, with an open coffin nearby. Suddenly, Jane heard noises, and took off after a fleeting shape, who turned out to be James Henry, the victim’s closest friend, who was also pale, thin and terrified.

The victim’s distraught father decl
Janelle Saari
This one probably doesn't even warrant a review, but I like to give myself credit for the things I read, so I'm counting it :) This is a short story that was a free download for the Nook from B&N. I had heard good things about the author and the TV show with these same characters so I thought I would check out the short story. It was MUCH shorter than I thought it would be, and then the ending was stupid. It was a solid 3 up until the last couple pages, then the ending made it a 2 for me. Ma ...more
Linda Sue
Fast, easy read - always enjoy the story with Rizzoli & Isles
Jud (Disney Diva)
I have to admit I was disappointed with this short story, I felt it was too short and I never really got into it. The characters were so empty and ridiculous, even Rizzoli and Isles. I love Tess Gerritsen and have to read every book she releases but i wouldn't recommend this. The story line was too far fetched for so little detail perhaps if the 'vampire' characters were in a full novel with a background and more explanation then it would work better.

Maybe I enjoy the books too much to apprecia
Melissa
I know that I am probably completely lost in the series because I read the short story before I read the other books but it has been sitting on my Nook Color for several months and I just couldn't resist it any longer. I am started watching the TV show this year and have really enjoyed it. This book was a little bit confusing but I think that was mainly because I have seen the TV show and not read the books. I am now starting to read the books so hopefully I will begin to understand more.
Lynsey A
Wow, this was super short. It is supposedly free but not on Amazon. It cost me .99 and was the shortest short story I've ever read. It really isn't worth the .99. It should have been .25 tops.

There really wasn't enough of the story to say 5 stars. It was literally like 10 pages, if that.

I like this series and hope to read the last few books soon.
Stewart
Most crime stories are read for the plot, the who/what/when of the crime. Tess Gerritsen raises the bar in the genre by giving us much more characterization, done in a superior fashion. This short story tells an interesting story, but lacks the depth of character than I've come to know and love in her stories. Without it, I found this story bland.
Rugg Ruggedo
A scream comes from an abandoned church and when the cops arrive they find a dead teenager next to an open coffin. I liked this one because it touches on the mystic. On occasion Gerritsen finds a way to suggest that there are things that cant be explained, and sometimes they have an effect on peoples lives. Mostly our favorite detective and medical examiner do find explanations,but sometimes not all the questions get answered, and they leave us with a look into "something" else.
I'm not sure sho
Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/)
Freaks is a short story, part of the Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles series. It's really short, about 15-20 pages, but it covers a whole case. Two teens havee convinced themselves they are vampires and are living in a church. One of them dies and the other is accused of her murder. Jane and Maura come in a do their thing. There's a surprise discovery by Maura and Jane gets an action scene.

The story was just meh, but more interesting is the stuff around it. It was originally put up on the website o
Robin
Detective Jane Rizzoli and Medical Examiner Maura Isles are investigating the death of a teenage girl. The victim was found lying next to an open coffin in an abandoned cathedral. Her boyfriend was seen fleeing the scene after police arrived. Both she and her boyfriend believed they were vampires, existing on animal blood as their only nourishment. Now Rizzoli and Isles must figure out what killed the teenage girl before her father takes his own vengeance on her boyfriend.

This is a very short st
David
Cleverly written ebook short story by Tess Gerritsen with Isles and Rizzoli working together to solve the case and reveal the surprise ending.
Sharon
Oct 03, 2012 Sharon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mom & Darlene
Recommended to Sharon by: Rizzoli & Isles Short Story
Shelves: read-in-2012
This short story was published in the back of "The Silent Girl". What a fun short story!! It would be a great subject for a full length novel.
Kim
I read an introduction to the book - the first few chapters - and it was very good. Its got me interested in reading the full book.
Christina
OK. I know it is a short story, but this was pretty lame. The first thing of Gerritsen's that I have been disappointed with.
Sally Pearce
This was a VERY short story. I can't even begin to try and review it. Not sure what the purpose was.
Lori Henrich
Good short story. I love the TV series and am looking forward to reading the series of novels.
Nissie
Wish it was longer, but still a great little story. Love Maura and Jane!
Cate (The Professional Fangirl)
This is a Reading Good Books review.

I’m not very familiar with Tess Gerritsen’s work although I have heard of her. However, I am a fan of the TV show Rizzoli & Isles on TNT. I love Angie Harmon and I’m glad that the show is coming back for a second season.

This is a free book with a preview of the next Gerritsen novel called The Silent Girl. But I’m not going into that.

Freaks is a short story about a case Detective Jane Rizzoli gets that has a rather supernatural nature. Dr. Maura Isles help
KyBunnies
While this is a short story it is still a good interesting read. As stated this is a short story that is maybe 20-30 pages long. Who knows I read on a kindle it might not even be that long lol. This book is 8.5 in the R&I series which in now a television on that airs on TNT. Please be aware that this review may contain spoilers.

I have not read any of the previous book in this series but this has made me want to read them.

The story starts out with Isles stepping out of her black Lexus. Rizz
Sam Woodfield
This short story by Tess Gerritsen is an introduction to new readers of hers to the characters of Rizzoli & Isles, a detective and pathologist solving crimes together.
This story follows the death of a young girl, who is found strangled in a church. The death is suspicious - first indications, stranglation - and when a young 'vampire' is questioned over her death the strangest of circumstances unfold.
Becasue of the length of the story, it was difficult to really get to grips with the characte
Andrew
Review Taken from The Pewter Wolf

In Freaks, Boston homicide cop Jane Rizzoli and medical examiner Maura Isles investigate the death of Kimberly Rayner. Her body was discovered in an abandon church, next to a open coffin. She looks like she's been strangled, but what's weird is that the young man who ran away from the scene says that he and Kimberly were vampires. But did this guy kill Kimberly? And what about Kimberly's father who suddenly burst onto the scene...?

Now, I must stress something. Th
Randy
A short story based on the author's Rizzoli & Isles novels. I've not read any of them and thought this might be a good place to start.

The screams coming from the abandoned church sent s call to the police and Jane Rixxoli arrived to take over the investigation with Maura Isles, the medical examiner.

Kimberly Raynor was the victim, a seventeen year old blond so emaciated that she made an anorexic look healthy. She appeared to have been strangled.

Near the body was a coffin, lid open, and some b
Lainy
Blurb from goodreads

In this free Rizzoli & Isles short story from New York Times bestselling author Tess Gerritsen, author of The Silent Girl, a bizarre death comes with a supernatural twist. Homicide cop Jane Rizzoli and medical examiner Maura Isles have seen their fair share of mortal crimes, but the death of Kimberly Rayner may qualify as inhuman in more ways than one. When corpse of the emaciated seventeen-year-old girl is discovered next to an empty coffin in an abandoned church, myste
Pam
This is a VERY short story by Ms. Gerritsen. It involves her two famous protagonists, Detective Jane Rizzoli and Dr. Maura Isles (medical examiner).

A young girl is found dead in a an abandoned Catholic church, an apparent victim of strangulation. Nearby is a coffin and above is a belfry full of bats. As the members of the Boston police department arrive to investigate the crime, a young boy flies out the back door of the church, fleeing the scene of the crime. Detective Rizzoli runs him down, an
Gregory Baird
For the first time, Tess Gerritsen released a short story starring Rizzoli and Isles, available only as an eBook. And for good measure, our intrepid heroines find themselves facing off against a possible vampire and a father eager to avenge his dead daughter.

Let's be honest for a minute: this short story owes its existence to online marketing. It's a way to collect a few extra bucks while also drumming up awareness of the series' next installment, which conveniently comes along pretty soon.

Still
Goodreads Librari...: Freaks needs fixing 3 157 Dec 20, 2012 04:47PM
  • Protector
  • The Scargill Cove Case Files (Arcane Society, #9.5; Looking Glass Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Past Imperfect
  • Graveyard Games
  • Spoilt
  • County Line
  • Heart of the Witch
  • Life Blood
  • Love Me If You Must (Patricia Amble, #1)
  • The Unremarkable Heart and Other Stories
  • Dark Legacy
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • Hope Road
  • Hour of the Hunter (Walker Family, #1)
  • The Blue Light Project
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • One Deadly Sister (Sandy Reid Mysteries, #1)
  • The 7th Month (Detective D.D. Warren #5.5)
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic thriller
More about Tess Gerritsen...
The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles #1) Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5) The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles #2) Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4) The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)