Start by marking “Hellboy: House of The Living Dead” as Want to Read:
Hellboy: House of The Living Dead

Hellboy: House of The Living Dead (Hellboy Living Dead)

Devastated over the loss of his luchador comrade to vampires, Hellboy lingers in Mexican bars until he's invited to participate in the ultimate wrestling match with a vicious Frankenstein monster!
Hardcover, First Edition, 56 pages
Published November 8th 2011 by Dark Horse Books (first published November 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy

Jessica at Book Sake
Nov 23, 2011 Jessica at Book Sake rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I’ve always been a huge fan of the Hellboy graphic novels. There is something about the way that Mignola writes a story. At first glance it feels sparse but by the time you finish you realize that he really jammed a lot into a story.

But I think this book fell a little short for me. I am not sure if it was because the review copy I was reading was poor quality and hard to read. I was looking forward to the story. I love the imagery of Mexico, luchadors, and the Day of the Dead. However this story
Sesana
Dec 11, 2013 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, comics
This is a continuation of that "Hellboy in Mexico" story, and tells a little more about Hellboy's missing time in Mexico. Apparently, he met the full Universal monster lineup. As an homage to those Universal movies, it'll work best for those who do fondly remember them. To other readers, it'll feel overcrowded, like there's too many creatures in too short of a book. And it is very, very short. I have to wonder why the Hellboy story that kicked this all off wasn't reprinted here. At least it ...more
Octavi
Jun 24, 2016 Octavi rated it liked it
Demasiados guiños a demasiadas cosas (Hammer, monstruos clásicos de la Universal, wrestling mexicano...). No funciona del todo. La historia en sí no está mal, aunque no es nada del otro mundo. Lo salva el brillante dibujo de Corben.
Will Redd
Jun 03, 2013 Will Redd rated it it was amazing
Hellboy and monster fighting luchadors? YES! Two of my favorite things come together in the same book as Hellboy finds himself fighting monsters in Mexico and lamenting the loss of a friend by getting drunk and fighting as a luchador (masked wrestler for the uninformed).

Mignola cites Universal horror movies and El Santo as his influences (having never seen any El Santo, just liking the idea of them), and it's a beautiful thing.

This book is just fun. One thing I love about Hellboy is how the stor
Orrin Grey
Nov 09, 2011 Orrin Grey rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, mignola
Normally I'm not a fan of what I think of as "gimmick" stories. All too often, the gimmick is all they have going for them. In less capable hands, the stand-alone "Hellboy in Mexico" one-shot comic could have been one of those gimmick stories, but instead it became one of my very favorite Hellboy stories to date. Instead of just resting on the concept of Hellboy teaming up with luchadors to fight vampires, Mignola invested the book with a surprising amount of pathos. So when I heard that there w ...more
Logan
Feb 01, 2016 Logan rated it really liked it
Short but sweet! So in this story we have Hellboy in Mexico, after a mission gone wrong he goes awol for five months, and ends up becoming a Mexican wrestler. A scientist kidnaps a girl and Hellboy had to fight his monster to win the girl back. Like I said this was a short read, the story was decent though . The Artwork is always an issue for me, Hellboy himself and the monsters he fights are drawn nice, but everyone else just looks weird. But overall not a bad read.
Arlomisty
Mar 18, 2014 Arlomisty rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Short story, but in classic Hellboy style... these graphic novels are kind of creepy, but fun at the same time. I always liked the movies and I've gotten to meet the Hellboy creator Mike Mignola so I'd say I'm a fan.
Jim
Oct 23, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it
This is Mike Mignola's love letter to "The House of Frankenstein", and it is everything you want it to be.
Variaciones Enrojo
Reseña de Alejandro Ugartondo para Zona Negativa:

Mike Mignola regresa al pasado de Hellboy para narrar las aventuras de su personaje en tierras mejicanas y ofrecer un cóctel bizarro de lucha libre, mad doctors, hombres lobo y vampiros entre otras muchas cosas. Puro delirio realizado con la ayuda inestimable del gran Richard Corben.
Aunque el creador de Hellboy haya vuelto a encargarse de las historias, tanto del guión como del dibujo, del personaje en el pr
Sam Quixote
Jul 29, 2016 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
In 1956, Hellboy was sent to Mexico to investigate a series of mass killings – he then disappeared for five months. The first part of Hellboy’s long “lost weekend” was covered in Hellboy in Mexico (a short story that appeared in The Bride of Hell and Others) where Hellboy teamed up with luchadores (masked Mexican wrestlers) to fight vampires; the story of what Hellboy did next in those five months continues in House of the Living Dead.

Hellboy is working as a luchador when he’s blackmailed into
Andy Zeigert
Dec 07, 2011 Andy Zeigert rated it really liked it
EDIT: A more thorough version of my review was published at Comic Book Snob.

Richard Corben draws and Mike Mignola writes a "flashback" episode in the Hellboy canon featuring classic movie monsters and Mexican wrestling. What's not to like?

HOUSE OF THE LIVING DEAD is essentially a sequel to the HELLBOY IN MEXICO series that published a couple years ago. During the 1950s, Hellboy travels to Mexico to investigate some strange goings-on. He disappears for five months and has various adventures. Mign
Helmut
Feb 24, 2013 Helmut rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Der alte Witz - es treffen sich ein Werwolf, ein Vampir und ein verrückter Professor...

Da hat er ordentlich einen gehoben: In Hellboy, Vol. 11: The Bride of Hell and Others erzählte Mike Mignola eine Kurzgeschichte über einen Abschnitt in Hellboys Leben, den er selbst nur als "drunken blur" bezeichnet. Die Story um viel Tequila, eine Freundschaft mit mexikanischen Wrestlern und der Kampf gegen Vampirmonster war sehr atmosphärisch geschildert, aber auch sehr kurz. Mit "House of the Living Dead" f
Sharon Tyler
Oct 28, 2011 Sharon Tyler rated it really liked it
Hellboy: House of the Living Dead by Mike Mignola is a standalone graphic novel due to be released on November 9 2011. In this graphic novel, readers see Hellboy outside his normal environment, during his time in Mexico which he typically does not discuss. You do not need to be a follower of the graphic novel to fully enjoy this story, though long time fans will enjoy the return of Richard Corben, the original artist of the series. In Hellboy: House of the Living Dead, our red friend is complete ...more
Andy Shuping
Sep 10, 2011 Andy Shuping rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
ARC provided by netGalley

In the 1950’s Hellboy was sent to Mexico to help a team stop the Devil from waking up and taking over the earth. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending upon your outlook) Hellboy vanished for a period of time. Hellboy is spending his time drinking, wresting, and drinking some more to forget a departed friend when he is approached by a mysterious man to come and help rescue a young girl. He reluctantly sets off only to discover things aren’t as they seem and he is soon i
Alex Hern
Nov 16, 2011 Alex Hern rated it really liked it
So Richard Corben is obviously a stellar artist, Mike Mignola is writing to the top of his game here, and although there is less HOT LUCHADORE ACTION than I'd have liked, it is superbly compensated for by the presence of vampires, werewolves, AND a "Frankstein's monster".

Dave Stewart is one of the few colourists who I feel always deserves a mention in reviews, as well. I'm never too good at telling the difference between the skill based and artistic sides of a colourist's job - and I can't here,
KURGU SANAT
Feb 07, 2016 KURGU SANAT rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: çizgi_roman
description

Hellboy, Mike Mignola tarafından 1993 yılında yaratılan bir Dark Horse Comics çizgi roman karakteridir.

Hellboy’un babası Hellboy’a çok benzeyen bir iblis, annesi ise bir insandır (cadıdır), hırslı bir kadındır ve bu iblisin gücünü istemiş ama iblis ona oyun oynamıştır ve gücünü kadının içine yerleştirmiştir. Bu güç onun içinde yaşayan bir varlığa dönüşmüştür. Kadın Hellboy’u doğururken ölmüştür ve Hellboy cehennemde doğmuştur.

Naziler 23 Aralık 1944 yılında II.Dünya Savaşını kazanabilmek için Rag
Daniel
Jan 17, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it
I'll start by saying that I'm biased; if it says "Hellboy" on it (and it's not the "Animated" books), or B.P.R.D., or any of the spinoffs, chances are I'll go out of my way to read it. That being said, this is a pretty disappointing read as far as the Hellboy universe goes.

It seems forced, and at times a simple cop-out of obvious and predictable coincidences. But, for me, those things can be overlooked so long as the art is good.

Now I should mention how much I hate the art of Richard Corben for
Ravwrin
Oct 26, 2011 Ravwrin rated it it was amazing
I admit, I have not read many comics, graphic novels or whatever they're called any more. But I am a fan of Hellboy. When I saw this, I just had to try and read it to see if I'd be into the graphic novel scene. I read, I loved and I'm willing to read more!

Hellboy goes missing in the 1950's only to be found in Mexico hanging out in bars after a friend luchador is killed by vampires. He's asked by a man to help save a girl and ends up ensnared in a plot by what can only be called a Mexican Dr. Fra
Angel
This was another good Hellboy story. I just wish it had been a bit longer. The story is real simple: Hellboy is sent to Mexico in the 50s to investigate a case, and he disappears for a few months. Years later, we learn the story. It is a story where he meets a local Dr. Frankenstein, a Wolfman, vampires, and a damsel in distress. And all at a time when he is working as luchador (wrestler) for hire. The comic draws on various elements: the old Mexican wrestler movies, like those of El Santo (some ...more
Dan
Jan 13, 2012 Dan rated it liked it
Too short! A fine tale, but way too short... still a Hellboy story with Frankenstein's monster, vampires, a wolfman, and luchadores - pure magic. For all it's brevity (yes, I do intend on harping on this), Hellboy: House of the Living Dead was a thoroughly enjoyable read. Richard Corben's art gives the story a gritty feel that supplements Mignola's story of personal redemption. I don't know if I'd actually spend $14.99 on this slim book (thank you, library); hopefully the paperback will be more ...more
Brooks
Jun 21, 2012 Brooks rated it really liked it
Does this count as a graphic novel? If it does then it's my first.

I don't really know a lot about Hellboy outside of what was in the movies, but I really enjoyed this. The story takes place in 1956 when Hellboy went missing in Mexico for five months. It turns out that he became one of those Mexican wrestlers (a luchador). One day after a match he is approached by a mysterious stranger who invites him to wrestle his boss's "champion." Hellboy isn't interested until he finds out that a girl's lif
Gabriel Wallis
Jan 29, 2014 Gabriel Wallis rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
"Hellboy: House of the Living Dead" was highly entertaining and a great read. It had elements of Frankenstein, Wolf Man, and Dracula in it. Hellboy is sent to Mexico in 1956, and comes across three brothers who wrestle. One brother gets taken away by vampires and returns later to wrestle Hellboy in a wrestling ring. But the vampires turned him into a large bat-like creature, and Hellboy has to dispose of him. Hellboy then finds himself on a mission to save a girl who is kidnapped by a crazy ...more
Jerantino
Jan 01, 2012 Jerantino rated it it was amazing
This was without a doubt one of Corben's better turns on the character. It sent shivers down my spine just like when I first encountered his artwork on Mutant World in 1984 Magazine, many moons ago. Being a fan of Universal's Monster series, the story had the same wonderful hyperbolic highs as well as catastrophic lows. The emotions really come through in Corben's art on each of the characters.
My only beef is the handling of the female victim. We aren't really given enough of a chance to sympat
Joseph R.
Dec 31, 2011 Joseph R. rated it really liked it
In this follow-up to the "Hellboy in Mexico" comic, the story starts with Hellboy on a bender after allowing a friend to be turned by bad guys. He's also spending his time as a lucha libre, or Mexican masked wrestler. He winds up at a mad scientist's house where he enters the ring with Frankenstein's Monster and at various points fights other monsters based on the classic Universal Studios horror films.

The story has a mixture of adventure, action, humor, and melancholy that are found in the best
David
Jul 17, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels

I like Hellboy. There's something very real about him, despite his otherworldly origins and his strange lifestyle...

In this 'episode' we discover where he dissapeared off to during one point in his long life... gone on a bender in mexico... to confront his inner demons.

No surprise to anyone else, that he discovers there are worse things than those inside him- confront what's inside, by confronting what's outside, is the name of this game.

There's some amusement in that he joins the Luchadors, and
Matthew
Nov 20, 2011 Matthew rated it liked it
A pretty decent Hellboy yarn, and I think most Hellboy comics to be pretty decent. I like the further exploration of Mexican Lucha subculture and monsters. Richard Corben was never a realistic artist but there has always been a singular creepiness to his artwork that has found great subject matter here. My quibble is the deluxe hardcover format. This is a trifle of a tale, and but one within a series. Why such an expensive package for so slight a product? No doubt this will be collected with ...more
Wing Kee
May 28, 2016 Wing Kee rated it liked it
A wonderful little one shot that ties into the time HB spent in Mexico, plus it introduces another fun Mignola character.

This is a short one shot so I won't go into the full review format. It's fun, the art is weird and fits the story perfectly. It also ties quite well into the HB in Mexico and the Wrestling brothers. The story is fun, it's paced well and feels very Mignola. The ending was a bit abrupt but also quite powerful. This is still HB in the point of his life where he's trying to find h
Cale
May 08, 2014 Cale rated it liked it
This is an expansion of one of the stories in the Hellboy Volume 6 collection, touching on the time Hellboy spent in Mexico, after his time with the Luchadores. It's not a particularly important story, but it does have a lot of fun with classic monsters (Frankenstein's monster, werewolf, vampire, etc.), although the overall tone is pretty dark. Richard Corben's art is a good meld of his style and Mignola's sensibilities.
Nikki
Jan 01, 2016 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
The thought of Hellboy as a monster fighting luchador is an utterly fun concept to behold and I enjoyed reading this a lot. Our favourite BPRD agent is more than a little down after losing one of his good friends; having quite a bender before being forced to fight this Frankenstein monster.

There were many other creatures involved in this story and I actually enjoyed that. It was a really quick read though; I think this novel could have been longer to be accommodate them.
Caryn
Feb 13, 2016 Caryn rated it it was ok
This story really could have been attached to the "Bride of Hell" GN - the story takes place during that time period, but it was disappointing. It was short, and a mess of different characters & "monsters" - it was as if every other kind of demon-monster-thing Hellboy ever encountered showed up for 2 seconds for no real reason. And, I'm sorry but, what was up with the Frankenstein-monster-wannabe's nipples? Ewww.
  • Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 3: The Mysteries of Unland
  • Hellboy: The All-Seeing Eye
  • The Goon, Volume 10: Death's Greedy Comeuppance
  • Hellboy: On Earth as it is in Hell
  • Hellboy: Emerald Hell
  • RASL, Vol. 3: Romance at the Speed of Light (RASL, #3)
  • Conan, Vol. 10: Iron Shadows in the Moon and Other Stories
  • The Walking Dead: Michonne Special
  • Wolverine: The Best There Is: Contagion
  • The Dark Horse Book of the Dead (The Dark Horse Book of..., #3)
  • Spider-Man: Death And Dating
  • Captain America: Hail Hydra
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

Hellboy (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 6: Strange Places (Hellboy, #6)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 7: The Troll Witch and Others (Hellboy, #7)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 8: Darkness Calls (Hellboy, #8)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 9: The Wild Hunt (Hellboy, #9)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 10: The Crooked Man and Others (Hellboy, #10)