Start by marking “White Crane (Samurai Kids, #1)” as Want to Read:
White Crane (Samurai Kids, #1)

White Crane (Samurai Kids #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Can a one-legged boy become a great samurai warrior? Meet some unique aspiring champions in this kick-off to an exciting new martial arts series. Niya Moto is the only one-legged samurai kid in Japan, famous for falling flat on his face in the dirt. The one school that will accept him is the Cockroach Ryu, led by the legendary sensei Ki-Yaga. He may be an old man overly fo ...more
Published May 10th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about White Crane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Crane

Adele
So this is my second Middle Grade review ever and I have been trying to keep these one's shorter. Wish me luck! Of all the novels I have received in the past two months, this one got the greatest reaction from my class. The combination of the Samurai theme with the amazing artistry seemed to immediately capture their imaginations.

Sandy Fussell is an author with the talent of simplicity. She is deceptively descriptive as she paints images so effectively that kids access their imagination while no
Shannon
I got this as an audiobook for a road trip with a diverse mix of kids (10-12 year olds) in the vehicle. It was a good choice. It is an empowering story focusing on the character's strengths rather than their weaknesses. It mixes traditional feudal Japanese stories and themes into an accessible story for mid-grade kids. Some of the teaching stories were a lot of fun outside of the larger story. The symbolism and metaphors were strong. The kids started talking about goldfish in their stomachs swim ...more
Julie
I was a little uncertain how seriously I was supposed to take it. It wasn't historical fiction, but it wasn't straight-up fantasy either. How accurate it was to historical Japan is something I'm not qualified to judge.

However.

This one-legged boy not once, but twice, referred to his 'ankles'. And once, in the same paragraph with one of the 'ankles' references referred to his 'sandals'. He was also swept off his feet at one point, but I'll take that for a figure of speech. It just.. it doesn't do
M.
Niya is a one-legged Samurai boy in the Cockroach Rya, a Samurai school in which all the students have problems. In addition to Niya, one boy has only one arm, one is blind, one doesn't want to fight, and there's a girl who is an albino, obvious difficulties to deal with in training to be Samurai. They're training to participate in the Samurai Trainee Games and fear the Dragon Rya, a school with a fearsome reputation. They know they'll be beaten, but hope they'll at least win enough points to sh ...more
Katrina Ly
i haven't got much to say about this book except i didn't really like it. from the start, the writing just seemed to scream CLICHE CLICHE. there wasn't much originality in it except the part about the ryu teaching kids nobody else really wanted which was cool. the writing was too junior and too light for me and the plot just wasn't dark enough. the supposedly wise people were portrayed in a way i didn't really believe and the dragon master was more like a naughty schoolboy than an actual evil, s ...more
Kristen
Short & Sweet: Niyo is a one-legged samurai kid who is training with Ki-Yaga of the Cockroach Ryu. All of Ki-Yaga's students are overcoming a form of disadvantage and they do not believe they can win the Samurai Trainee Games, but will compete all the same. These students may be missing a leg, an arm, or even eyesight, but they have an inner strength that may help them overcome the fierce Dragon Ryu. I was pleasantly surprised by this book, which had a lot of struggles within. Not only did ...more
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Sara Douglass 'Book Series' Award. This entry is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I won't be recording my thoughts (if I choose to) here until after the AA are over.
Rebecca Early
Niya Moto is an one-legged Samurai kid in Japan. A school that will accept him is the Cockroach Ryu, led by the legendary sensei Ki-Yaga. Ki-Yaga is also known for taking in kids that the world has judged harshly. Like an albino girl and a boy who is blind. Ki-Yaga wants to take on the challenge of the Samurai Trainee Games. If they Stick together they can do it.
Deeneez
A fun, enjoyable YA story of a group of disabled and misfit kids, training to be samurai warriors in feudal Japan with a touch of fantasy. This is written for very young adult audience, but still worth reading. Deals with overcoming physical and mental hurdles, and the power of team work and friendships.
Dan Priest
Great book!! A good amount of adventure and fighting and a lot of great lessons to learn throughout. Easy to read and enjoyable!
Bookwormgirl
This was a great story. I loved Niya's voice, he tries to be practical but sometimes his imagination gets the better of him. I loved their sensei, Ki-Yaga, he is an all knowing, butt-kicking, sleepy little old dude who loves those kids.

All the kids have problems but they overcome them together. That's what this story is about, overcoming your handicaps, obstacles and trials by believing in yourself and teamwork.

This is one that I will pass on to my nieces. I think they will like the samurai kid
Travis Berketa
I found the way this book was written to be somewhat tedious in the reading and the attempts to make Kyoko, the six-fingered girl, a strong female lead appeared quite forced. It pretty much showed the "Samurai Boys can't do it, but the Samurai Girl", which kind of went against the books theme of working together to achieve success.

However, that said, I thought the book does have some excellent themes for kids to take heed of. As a teacher, I feel that this book is great with the issues it covers
Theo P
This book was very good from beginning to end. The people at the Cockroach Ryu are specially challenged because they have extra or missing appendages or fingers or toes, so it's a challenge to learn to swordfight. And they've never won a trainee games thing. This is after the Bakamatsu, I think. And one year they're feeling especially confident because they've been practicing and disciplined more than anyone else. Will they win the trainee games? Or will the dragon ryu prevail again? Read this e ...more
Dee-Ann
I really liked this book. It was gentle, but funny and had elements of adventure and violence. There was a lot of pint-sized wisdom throughout the book, which is relevant to big and little people.

I really enjoyed the Samurai games, which included both physical aspects and mental aspects, such as haiku, calligraphy and often cunning won over brawn.

I found the language a little stilted, but it suited the narrator and I quickly got used to it.
Debbie
Really love the first two books of this series, but the library doesn't have the rest (ILL either!). They teach respect, caring, the difference between bullying and friends teasing one another out of love and how what's on the outside doesn't indicate what's on the inside. Oh, and teamwork and true strength vs. true weakness ... absolutely adore these books, my son thinks I'm crazy as I cry at the end of each one. ...
Tanja
This was the first book of this kind I have ever read, after it was recommended by a student and I had seen it on this year's Battle of Books list for Hong Kong. I enjoyed it, especially since it was so different from what I usually read. I am sure kids love it since it is a great adventure in which the underdogs through determination, courage, loyalty and friendship make a difference.
The Styling Librarian
I love the one sentence promo on the back of this book: "Can a one-legged boy become a great samurai warrior?" Terrific book, fascinating premise, and my favorite thing was the messages of flexibility and diverse opinions are acceptable. This was a book I read for Hong Kong Battle of the Books. Love that it is exposing me to Australian authors!
Ada Lee
My fifth grade students have been reading a series of chapter books for this year's Battle of the Books. This is the one that has won over the hearts of all, both boys and girls. In their words, it is "an action story of friendship, compassion, and self-acceptance." They all love it, and I love it as well.
Brian
This book is about a samurai school that takes children that nobody else wants and transforms their lives to become samurai. The sensei does not give up on his students, although they all struggle with different disabilities. The book has a great story that can benefit any reader.
Kimberly Gould
A wonderful tale of triumph over personal difficulty. It's great to watch the handicapped Samurai Kids reach beyond their limitation and excel. So many lessons about friendship, inner strength, and learning to know oneself. Perfect for any young reader and many an older one.
Stephanie
A school for samurais where all the students have something to overcome. One has a missing leg, another a missing arm, one is blind, another has six finger and toes. I really liked how the Sensai relentlessly emphasized the students strengths and what they were good at.
Jessica
Oct 07, 2011 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers
Recommended to Jessica by: Amazon
This book makes a perfect read aloud to go along with a character unit. My fifth grade team is studying Japan, making this book an even better fit. My students can't wait for the time of the day when I read this novel! I like how the ending is a happy twist.
Nikki
Sarah Tilatitsky
Absolutely, positivley funny and great. I was chuckling though half of the book, because, well, I have a different sense of humor. Still, it was great and all of that. Hope I can read the next one. And yes, READ IT. Please.
Sonia
I finished copyediting this book last week. It is an incredibly sweet young adult book about five samurai trainees, all with physical impediments that somehow make them even stronger in the ways of Bushido. Go, Candlewick.
Lisa
A tale of plucky misfits that triumph over the arrogant champions. Nothing new there, but I for one couldn't resist a band of young samurai with disabilities hailing from the hardy Cockroach Ryu.
Mitch
White Crane is a big-hearted story about children with physical or social disabilities who must come together under the guidance of their ancient sensei who is usually napping but sees everything!
Margbar11
Wonderful! Very exciting read, but also loads of wonderful messages about courage, ability/disability, friendship and integrity. We'll be reading the whole series!
Brenda Kahn
This is a nice mg series combining humor and some samurai training. Accidentally read the second book first last year and thought I'd eventually get to the first.
  • Two Wolves
  • Diary of a Penguin-napper
  • Nanberry: Black Brother White
  • Loyal Creatures
  • Belinda
  • Withering-By-Sea
  • Other Brother
  • Mahtab's Story
  • How to Catch a Bogle (Bogle #1)
  • In Darkness, Death (Samurai Detective, #3)
  • The Word Snoop
  • Silk Umbrellas
  • Cloud Tea Monkeys
  • Dreamrider
  • On the Blue Comet
  • The Lion Who Stole My Arm
  • The Little Refugee
  • Cold Skin
Sandy Fussell lives south of Sydney with her husband and two sons. She studied mathematics at university, is intensely interested in history and now works in IT. From the moment she could read, Sandy loved books and always wanted to be a writer. In school, she wrote what she refers to as “booklets” and “terrible plays that the teacher made the class perform”. After school, Sandy forgot about writi ...more
More about Sandy Fussell...

Samurai Kids (8 books)
  • Owl Ninja (Samurai Kids, #2)
  • Shaolin Tiger (Samurai Kids, #3)
  • Monkey Fist (Samurai Kids, #4)
  • Fire Lizard (Samurai Kids, #5)
  • Golden Bat (Samurai Kids, #6)
  • Red Fox (Samurai Kids, #7)
  • Black Tengu (Samurai Kids, #8)
Owl Ninja (Samurai Kids, #2) Shaolin Tiger (Samurai Kids, #3) Monkey Fist (Samurai Kids, #4) Golden Bat (Samurai Kids, #6) Polar Boy