A Fitting End (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #2)

A Fitting End (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  452 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Business is booming at Harlow Jane Cassidy's custom dressmaking boutique-even with her great-grandmother's ghost hanging around the shop. But when a local golf pro is found stabbed with dressmaking shears, the new town deputy suspects Harlow. Now she has to clear her name before the next outfit she designs is a prison jumpsuit...
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published February 7th 2012 by Signet

Patty
I can't believe how quickly I finished this book. I had the time and an it was interesting plot and story.

I'm not into the "magical" but I do like how Ms Bourbon uses it in the story. It helped set up and build on understanding and believing in Harlow's special gift. This second book really built on the characters that were introduced in "Pleating for Mercy," and introduced new likable ongoing characters. The mystery element kept me guessing until the end. I like light mysteries and this fit the...more
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
I really like this author and the first book in this series - and I really liked a lot of things about this book. The mystery plot was excellent. But... there is so much of this story line that has left me utterly confused. Specifically concerning one of the characters, Gracie. I really feel like a page was missing from my book or something. (view spoiler)...more
Diana Leigh
Miss Harlow Jane Cassidy, once a New York fashion designer, is now the proud owner of Buttons and Bows, a unique dressmaking shop in Bliss, Texas. Thanks to a magical wish made by her great-great-great grandfather, Butch Cassidy (yep, that Butch Cassidy!), all of the women in the family are blessed with a special “gift.” While her grandmother is a goat charmer, and her mom has a powerful green thumb, Harlow has the ability to sew magic into the garments she makes, giving the wearer a little supe...more
LORI CASWELL
Melissa Bourbon has created some fascinating characters in this series. Yes, the Cassidy women are “charmed” but they are also charming, delightful and funny. Harlow stitches a little magic into each of her creations which leads to some very surprising revelations. Reading this story was pure joy.

There is a part when a huge piece of furniture is being moved, I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. The men is this series can be equally charming but are completely in the dark about what is r...more
Ashland Mystery Oregon
A Fitting End is Bourbon's second Magic Dressmaking Mystery, and it has more of what I really enjoyed in Pleating for Mercy. Harlow's starting to feel more comfortable in Bliss, Texas and now has some friends and advocates that are bringing in business. The ghost of her great grandmother is more present now and finds ways to communicate with Harlow. Family relationships and small town histories become even more entwined, and of course, Harlow has a dead body to worry about.

"I had nothing to do w...more
Jenna
Secrets, secrets, and more secrets. That, in a nutshell, is the underlying theme to A Fitting End, the second book in Melissa Bourbon’s Magical Dressmaking mystery series. Simply put, I cannot say enough good things about this series. A Facebook friend once said that this series is “like comfort food” and I still have yet to come up with a better description.

Just months after finding a dead body in her front yard, dressmaker Harlow Cassidy finds her life interwoven with Bliss tradition and a mu...more
Melanie Smith
Book two of a new series and I am enjoying it very much. I usually do not read the "paranormal" or "magic" mysteries, but this series has me hooked. This is a great cozy mystery and I think what I like about this series is that I think I have it figured out and then in the last 10 pages, I find out that I was totally wrong! I always close the book saying "wow"!
Kristin
I love this series. This is book two. I fell in love with the characters in the first one and the second one just confirmed it. The Cassidy women and their magic are just charming and make me wish I didn't have to wait until October for the next one. If you like cozy mysteries with a touch of magic or paranormal you will like this one.
Debbie Heaton
In Bourbon’s paranormal mystery novel, Buttons & Bows, Harlow Cassidy’s custom dressmaking shop is overflowing with business. The Margaret Maffette Lea Pageant is around the corner and to her surprise; Mrs. Zinnia James hires her to make her granddaughter’s pageant gown. Not surprisingly the local golf pro is found dead and the new deputy in town suspects Harlow since her scissors appear to be the weapon. Determined to find answers, Harlow sets out to solve the crime and complete the perfect...more
Amanda
I love this series, when I am reading it I wish that I could step into the pages and have Harlow make a dress for me, see Tessa's garden, even meet Coleta's goats.

I think it was fantastic that the reader is kept guessing almost to the very end. I think it adds to the story and makes it more plausible, the false leads, the suspicions, the surprise revelations... they all add to the suspense and keep you guessing as to who the real killer is and what new secrets are going to be uncovered next.

As m...more
Leya
A Fitting End is the second book A Magical Dressmaking Mystery series by Melissa Bourbon. The author also writes under the name of Melissa Bourbon Ramirez, Lola Cruz Mystery series. I read the first book of the Magical Dressmaking series last year, and it was one of those great cosy's that you read in one sitting. So I was hoping that this one would be just as Pleating for Mercy.

Harlow is slowly getting back into the groove of things, both in her haunted house and in her hometown of Bliss, Texa...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Secrets. What town, family, group of friends, haven't their share of secrets? The small town of Bliss, Texas has perhaps more than their share of secrets. This novel explores secrets that can hurt, harm your business, even kill.

Dressmaker, Harlow Jane Cassidy, yes of the famous Butch Cassidy family line, is thrown into uncovering deceits and lies, when she learns that the local Country Club's Golf Pro, Vance Macon, has been murdered by someone using Harlow's very own sewing scissors. Added to th...more
Debbie
Another appealing entry in the Magical Dressmaking series. Harlow Cassidy is a direct descendant of Butch Cassidy, and all the Cassidy women have a special talent. Her grandmother's a goat whisperer, her mother has flowers appear in profusion wherever she walks, and Harlow (the Cassidy name is passed through the female line) she a person and envision's the perfect dress for whatever occasion, sewing into the seems the strength/confident/whatever quality the wearer requires. She's busy making "Ma...more
Dharia Scarab

4 sta...more
Sherry D
Another page turner with more background on some of the characters from the first book. Another one where I was led down the garden path and didn't guess the killer!! I'm usually certain of the killer early on but she has stumped me again. Fun characters : )
Jessi
Cassidy Harlow, dressmaker extraordinnaire, is back... and another murder. She's filled up on dress orders for the Margaret ceremony, a local tradition for debutantes. While waiting for Lucille, who is charge of the ceremony, Cassidy overhears her arguing with the local golf pro, the local golf pro who later ends up dead... killed with Cassidy's sewing shears.
There're no shortage of suspects. It turns out the local golf pro (as Ramirez says) is more like a tennis pro in terms of his relationship...more
Sandy Neal
I learned a new word from reading this book - "kerfluffle". Light reading.
Toria Bedell
Great book. I love the characters and the southern hospitality.
Joyce
This is my first time reading a book by Melissa Bourbon. It was delightful! I love a mystery and I love to sew - win win situation :) The characters (interesting ones too) were well defined and the story unfolded quite nicely. I really enjoyed the magical part of the book also. Overall I would recommend this to anyone loving mysteries. The small bits of what I like to call comedy interjected with some "real life" drama gave this book 5 stars in my rating. Looking forward to reading more of Bourb...more
Vickie
I do enjoy continuing a series, though I rarely immediately get the next in series this quickly. I usually wait for a bit since there are so many other new-to-me series out there to discover. I made an exception here as I really like the characters and the setting of this series. The mystery is well done, the victim got his 'just desserts' and the fun of the chase is enjoyable. I do like the ghostly presence of Harlow's great-grandmother and the varying gifts of Harlow and her family.

Five Texas...more
Lacey
Another great novel in a fantastic cozy mystery series! It had me guessing till the end... When I thought it was definitely Anna who had done it, it turned out to be somebody else! Melissa Bourbon definitely has an amazing talent to keep you guessing. My only complaint is that the small budding romance between Harlow and Will is taking just a little too long for me. My fervent hope is that in the next book there will be more sparks flying between the two of them.
Moondance
I must admit that the first book in the series was difficult for me to get into. I am pleased to say that was not the case with this one. I feel that the Cassidy women were warmer and more together in this book. I appreciated the small town feel of Bliss, Texas and the intertwining of friendships and relationships. The revelation of long kept secrets helped, too. i look forward to the next book in the series. 4 stars
Bandmama (aka Lucy) - Claiming Mitch as mine
I really enjoy this series. Part of it is because I'm in Texas and can relate to the environment and culture but mostly because these are well written and entertaining books. I love the relationship between Great Grandmother, grandmother, mother, and daughter. Ah, the secrets of a family. We all have them. I really appreciate not being able to figure out "who did it".
Nicky
I love Harlow, she's such a likable character. This one still had me guessing until the end. I didn't understand the part of Anna's sisters wedding though. Will is one of my favorite characters. I think I get butterflies along with Harlow when he walks into the room. I just order the next book on Amazon, can't wait to start reading! Melissa is going to need to write faster!!
Alice
Very well developed cozy. The magic is slowly and carefully developed and not too unrealistic. Discussion of period clothing is wonderful and very interesting. I enjoy the different generation of Cassidy women and how they tie back to Butch Cassidy. Oh yes good mystery too.
Mascanlon
2nd book in this cozy series that features a family in Bliss TX where the women are descendants of Butch Cassidy and all have some special power. Mix in sewing/crafting and lots of town secrets and this story will keep your interest.
Karen
I really enjoyed this book, picked it up at the library on a whim and will pick up the first one as well as the next. I love how the story wound and the characters. A great series. I am thrilled to have found.
Well she's still got a North Texas/California sense of Texans but her stories are fun.

Finished this one this morning. Not bad but sometimes the story was a little hard to follow.
  • Tulle Death Do Us Part (Vintage Magic Mystery #6)
  • A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • If Mashed Potatoes Could Dance (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery #2)
  • Murder On The House (A Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #3)
  • Old Haunts (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #3)
  • A Spirited Gift (A Missing PIeces Mystery #3)
  • Pies and Prejudice (A Charmed Pie Shoppe Mystery #1)
  • Die Job
  • Gem of a Ghost (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #3)
  • Bruja Brouhaha (A Mind for Murder, #2)
  • Charms and Chocolate Chips (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #3)
  • Last Wool and Testament (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Ghost Ship (A Port Chatham Mystery #2)
Librarian note: Melissa Bourbon is also known as Misa Ramirez and Melissa Bourbon Ramirez.
More about Melissa Bourbon...
Pleating for Mercy (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery, #1) Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3) A Custom-Fit Crime (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #4) A Killing Notion: A Magical Dressmaking Mystery A Seamless Murder: A Magical Dressmaking Mystery