Start by marking “Thinking, Fast and Slow” as Want to Read:
Thinking, Fast and Slow

Thinking, Fast and Slow

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  111,635 Ratings  ·  4,380 Reviews
In the highly anticipated Thinking, Fast and Slow, Kahneman takes us on a groundbreaking tour of the mind and explains the two systems that drive the way we think. System 1 is fast, intuitive, and emotional; System 2 is slower, more deliberative, and more logical. Kahneman exposes the extraordinary capabilities—and also the faults and biases—of fast thinking, and reveals t ...more
Published October 25th 2011 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Thinking, Fast and Slow, please sign up.

Yulia Vorotyntseva 1. In fostering learning, rewards work better than punishments, but due to the regression to the mean, we have an illusion of the reverse effect. --…more1. In fostering learning, rewards work better than punishments, but due to the regression to the mean, we have an illusion of the reverse effect. -- very important for me, since I have to deal with teaching.

2. Risk-aversion (and loss aversion) leads to bad decision-making, and you should get rid of it (I realized it before, when found that just by switching to high-deductible policy and and making a health savings account instead, I can save a lot of money without any threat to my health)

3. The importance of metrics: to avoid framing effect, it is good to have some fixed metric in mind (say, in a year on average it will make me X bucks poorer/richer), and transfer the input parameters into this system when making a decision.(less)
Marek Demcak I also read all books by Ariely and Gladwell as well and I am going through this book now. It is definitely worth reading. It is easy going book with…moreI also read all books by Ariely and Gladwell as well and I am going through this book now. It is definitely worth reading. It is easy going book with very well structured and clear in descriptions. Many of mentioned examples and studies are familiar from the similar books but it helps to better understand of the main topic of this book.(less)

Folboteur
Feb 20, 2012 Folboteur rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-of-mind
In the last few years I have had two books that took me FOREVER to get through. The first was Daniel Dennett's "Darwin's Dangerous Idea" and the second is Kahneman's "Thinking, Fast and Slow." What caused this? What do they have in common? Both books explain, in minute detail, simple concepts with immensely far-reaching implications, and both have been... after the slog... the most intellectually rewarding reading of my adult life.

Where to begin... I have a number of theories running around in
Trevor
May 01, 2012 Trevor rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating book. Reading this book means not having to read so many others. For example, you could avoid having to read, Sway, Blink, Nudge and probably a dozen or so other books on Behavioural Economics. And the best part of it is that this is the guy (or, at least one half of the two guys) who came up with these ideas in the first place.

I was thinking that perhaps the best way to explain those other books would be to compare them to Monty Python. I want you to imagine something - s
John
Sep 12, 2014 John rated it did not like it
Shelves: psychology, economics
An unrelentingly tedious book that can be summed up as follows. We are irrationally prone to jump to conclusions based on rule-of-thumb shortcuts to actual reasoning, and in reliance on bad evidence, even though we have the capacity to think our way to better conclusions. But we're lazy, so we don't. We don't understand statistics, and if we did, we'd be more cautious in our judgments, and less prone to think highly of our own skill at judging probabilities and outcomes. Life not only is uncerta ...more
Vijai
Oct 14, 2015 Vijai rated it really liked it
Shelves: paradigmshifters
If your objective, like it is when one finishes reading a self-help book, is to implement what Mr. Kahneman has to say in real life and benefit from it, I should warn you, you will be sorely disappointed. Believe it or not, in my opinion, I believe Mr. Kahneman is telling you exactly that in this book - that whether you like it or not, your entire life is guided or may I say decided by two fundamental ideas and that there is very little you can do to change it, period.

Mr. Kahneman is probably t
Jay Kamaladasa
Aug 15, 2012 Jay Kamaladasa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Hands down, one of the best books in its genre.

The book is a lengthy, self-conscious and a challenging read but highly recommended if you're interested in why human beings behave the way they behave. It's given me so much 'oh snap, so that's why we're so dumb' moments that at this point I don't even want to admit I'm a human to any space-time traveling race that comes in collision of 21st century Earth.

Citing behavioral research studies, he's convinced me that human confidence is a measure of w
Ben Babcock
I kind of want to cut this book in half, praise the first part, and stick the second part in some corner to gather dust. Not that the second part is bad, mind you; the entire book is well-written and obviously the product of someone who knows their field. There’s just a lot of it. Thinking, Fast and Slow is kind of like a guest who shows up to your party and then dazzles everyone with an impromptu, 15-minute oration on the geopolitical situation in South Ossetia; and, everyone applauds and turns ...more
Jan Rice
Aug 10, 2013 Jan Rice rated it it was amazing
Whew! Wrestled this one down to the ground. It's got so much in it; I've got all I can for now. I'm leaving it out in the living room for now, though--for refreshers.

The author's aim is to prove to us that we are not rational beings to the extent we think we are, that evolution has seen to that. And that being the case, the book outlines what we need to know so as not to mess up decisions like we have been doing--like we all do.

And he's made it accessible. He pulls you in. You will get your sha
Apr 29, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: New York Times
Freeman “Dyson Sphere” Dyson wrote the New York Times review, which has me swooning right there. He was a particularly apt pick because Kahneman helped design the Israeli military screening and training systems back when the country was young, and Dyson at 20 years old cranked statistics for the British Bombing Command in its youth. He was part of a small group that figured out the bombers were wrong about what mattered to surviving night time raids over Germany, a thing only about a quarter of ...more
Jeff Raymond
Jan 22, 2012 Jeff Raymond marked it as unfinished-reads
My issue with this book, which is one I've tossed aside after 60 pages, is not so much that it's poorly done or that it's hard to understand - in fact, the exact opposite is true.

The issue is that this book is simply more in depth about psychology and psychological processes than I truly have a short-term interest in. This is more the type of book you keep near your desk or bedside, read a 12 page chapter or so, and digest. This may be a book I need to own and do that with as opposed to tear thr
David
Aug 31, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book about how we think, written by a Nobel-prize-winning economist. Kahneman explains how two "systems" in the mind make decisions. "System 1" is the fast, intuitive aspect of the mind. "System 2" is the slower, logical and reasoning part of the mind. We generally make decisions quickly with the System 1, often because System 2 is simply--lazy. It takes effort to think things out rationally, and our rational minds are not always up to the job.

This book is a long, comprehen
Nicholas Sparks
Jun 21, 2012 Nicholas Sparks rated it it was amazing
It's a fascinating study of the mind, how people make decisions, and how the decision-making process can be improved.
Jan-Maat
This book had me laughing and smiling, more than many a book described in its blurb as side-splittingly funny or something similar because I recognised the cognitive disillusions described in this book as my own and in any case I am the kind of person who if they fall into a good mood wonders if it's due to the pint and the pie that was eaten earlier.

In my case the preacher wasn't talking to the choir, but I had been to the church before and enjoyed the services. It doesn't set out to be a new b
Marcel
Mar 27, 2014 Marcel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Excellent book that should be of interest to those interested in Julian Jaynes's ideas on consciousness. This book could probably have been titled Thinking Non-Consciously and Consciously.
Elyse
Sep 15, 2015 Elyse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading "Thinking, Fast, and Slow", ....(book choice for this month's local book club),
was not exactly bedtime reading for me.

I had already pre- judged it before I started reading... ( certain I would discover I'm a FAST
INTUITIVE - type thinker ... ( quick, often influenced by emotion). Once in awhile I use
basic common sense - logic .... but even, it is usually with 'righteous emotions'. Just
being honest!

I understand this is an intellectual -giant- of - a -book about "How we think"...
Thinki
Abubakar
Oct 05, 2015 Abubakar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is very difficult to judge, review or analyze a book that basically challenges the very idea of human “Rationalism”. Are humans perfectly rational? This dude, Daniel Kahneman, got a Nobel Prize in Economics for saying they are not. An ordinary person might have been treated with glare or a stinging slap if he said that to someone’s face. We simply don’t like being told that we are not very rational and certainly not as intelligent as we think we are. Hidden in the depths of our consciousness, ...more
Elyse
Sep 15, 2015 Elyse rated it really liked it
was not exactly bedtime reading for me.

basic common sense - logic --(not often)--
just being honest! I rather trust my gut!

I understand this is an intellectual -giant- of - a -book about "How we think".
"Thinking deeply about ho
Suhrob
Mar 17, 2013 Suhrob rated it it was amazing
In "Thinking, fast and slow" the Nobel laureate Danny Kahneman summarizes his life long work mostly done with his collegue (and Nobel corecipient) Amos Tversky in the field of cognitive psychology and decision making.

There has been an outcrop of books on this topic in the recent years (Ariely and Lehrer being the bigger names) and there is a significant overlap with similar books. However, for the seriously interested I'd recommend to start here. This is the original reference, the user manual f
Al
Mar 08, 2012 Al rated it it was ok
Mr. Kahneman, a Nobel Prize winner, explores the general subject of how and why we frequently make irrational decisions. We've all seen articles over the years on various aspects of this phenomenon, but I venture to say that never before have the various aspects and permutations been explored in this depth and specificity. Mr. Kahneman has spent much of his life researching the subject, and since the book includes both his research and that of others, it must stand as the definitive compendium ...more
Harry Lane
Jan 18, 2012 Harry Lane rated it really liked it
This is a hard book. Not because the author is hard to read; on the contrary, he is clear, lucid and compelling. He uses a multitude of examples and cases to illustrate the points he makes. The difficulty is rather in us, the readers. Kahneman's thesis, abundantly supported, is that all of us operate on two levels. Anyone who is at all familiar with psychology and research into the brain knows about our "lizard brain." Kahneman shows how this part of our makeup operates at a level far beyond the ...more
·Karen·
Sep 09, 2012 ·Karen· rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Behavioural economics: A very rational explanation of why Humans are not rational beings. Which is NOT to say that we are irrational. Just not always terribly consistent. That’s OK.
A bit repetitive, parts of it were familiar from other books like Irrationality, and then there were parts that lost me completely, where even when I kicked my indolent system 2 into slovenly, grudging action, the sheer arithmetics of some examples just would not allow themselves to be beaten into submission, no matte
Dimitris Ligoxigakis
Jun 28, 2016 Dimitris Ligoxigakis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ξεκινώντας αυτό το βιβλίο, διάβασα στο οπισθόφυλλο ‘’ ένα βιβλίο για την κοινωνική σκέψη, στην ίδια κατηγορία με τον Πλούτο των Εθνών του Adam Smith και την Ερμηνεία των ονείρων του Sigmund Freud ‘’, το οποίο υπέγραφαν μεγάλα ονόματα, σε παγκόσμιο επίπεδο, στον τομέα της ψυχολογίας και της οικονομίας. Επίσης, γνώριζα ότι ο Κάνεμαν βραβεύτηκε, με ναυαρχίδα τις σκέψεις του στο συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο, με Νόμπελ αλλά και πάρα πολλά άλλα βραβεία .

Γενικά, είμαι επιφυλακτικός με τα βραβευμένα κείμενα και
Andrewcharles420
Feb 09, 2013 Andrewcharles420 rated it it was ok
What a monstrous chore to read! I've been working on this book since September or August (4-6 months) and just could not take reading it for more than a few minutes at a time. Many times did it put me to sleep.

The book covered a lot of great material and really fascinating research, but oftentimes in such plodding, pedantic, meticulous detail as to nearly obfuscate the point. I have heard of the majority of the research (or at least their conclusions) as well, so while I thought it offered exce
Thomas
Aug 26, 2012 Thomas rated it really liked it
A long book that requires real mental exertion, Thinking, Fast and Slow is a worthwhile read by Nobel laureate Daniel Kahneman. It delves into the two complex systems of the mind. System 1 is impulsive, emotional, and often led astray, while System 2 is rational, thoughtful, and takes more time to makes decisions. He analyzes how humans use (and sometimes fail to use) both systems, and the resulting implications on topics ranging from how we perceive happiness to behavioral economics.

Thinking, F
Kalin
Jan 20, 2015 Kalin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't felt so stimulated to re-think my thinking ever since I encountered Edward de Bono's books a dozen years ago.

A text like this is especially instructive when you consider yourself an "outside-the-norm" person; it comes and beats you with a vengeance, time and again, as you try the mental problems inside for yourself--and fail and fail and fail. A lesson in humility, indeed. :)

I was particularly happy to find out:

- why a single quarrel can ruin a friendship of many years

- what is the ra
Richard
Jun 02, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it
Okay, yeah, this has to go on the to-be-read shelf. And the over-stuffed cognition shelf. Hey, at least I was reading Kahneman before he won that Nobel Prize, before he got really popular. But I have to admit I never actually finished his Judgment under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases — it was due back at the library when I was only halfway through. That is a slow, engrossing grind of an academic tome, though.

All the reviews have been glowing. Kahneman is golden, of course —he's ascended into
Jud Barry
Feb 07, 2012 Jud Barry rated it really liked it
I've long wondered about the "rational man" of economic theory and have wondered if there was some kind of drug I could take that would enable me to be that person. And what did it mean that I--fully aware of my emotion-based spending (or, more likely, not spending) decisions--seemed, as a Prius owner, to be much more rational than the majority of American car buyers with their acceptance of insanely low mpg's?

Having read this book, I now believe that the rational man of economic theory needs to
Richard
Sep 04, 2012 Richard rated it it was ok
Kahneman is a brilliant thinker who's small experiments cracked the foundations of neo-classical/rational choice theory. His collections like Choices, Values and Frames are terrific reading, full of extraordinarily disorienting observations of actual human behavior.

That said, this book was a bit of a disappointment. In this book, Kahneman weaves together a series of ideas based on his experiments and the experiments of like-minded researchers, and the effect is underwhelming. Gone is the carefu
Zanna
Jun 08, 2014 Zanna rated it it was amazing
I feel this book richly deserves its status. Kahneman has handed over the rich & surprising fruits of a lifetime of creative thought and research, in a well-organised book free of academiese (hurrah!) He also makes the material interactive by inviting us to do little mental activities to illustrate his simple study methods and assist the delight of recognition that makes this such an enjoyable read.

One of his goals is to provide ways to talk about and tackle some everyday problems by conside
Hadrian
Jan 20, 2012 Hadrian rated it really liked it
t admitted a bit of doubt when I first started this - the very concepts of Thinking, Fast and Slow, are evident to the student who has had Psych 101 - there are two basic modes of thinking. Automatic processing, which is described as System 1, which is easy, non-attentive, intuitive thinking, and controlled processing, or System 2 - the 'attentive', reasoned, detail-oriented part of the mind. There are also some basic principles, such as heuristics ('shortcuts' of thinking, and biases.

Yet this
Antigone
Daniel Kahneman is a psychology professor at Princeton University who won the 2002 Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences for his work on decision making. His book, Thinking, Fast and Slow, is a journey through his theories with a primary focus on the business world and its failure to adequately apply statistical information to its predictive practices. What you should know, you ambitious soul, prior to picking up this work, is that the man is going to harsh your buzz and take great evil joy in doing ...more
  • Sources of Power: How People Make Decisions
  • Where Good Ideas Come From: The Natural History of Innovation
  • The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined
  • The Optimism Bias: A Tour of the Irrationally Positive Brain
  • Everything is Obvious: Once You Know the Answer
  • The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail - But Some Don't
  • On Being Certain: Believing You Are Right Even When You're Not
  • The Invisible Gorilla: And Other Ways Our Intuitions Deceive Us
  • The Honest Truth About Dishonesty: How We Lie to Everyone - Especially Ourselves
  • Poor Economics: A Radical Rethinking of the Way to Fight Global Poverty
  • Bad Science
  • The Belief Instinct: The Psychology of Souls, Destiny, and the Meaning of Life
  • The Folly of Fools: The Logic of Deceit and Self-Deception in Human Life
  • The Beginning of Infinity: Explanations That Transform the World
  • Click: The Magic of Instant Connections
  • The Moral Animal: Why We Are the Way We Are: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology
  • This Will Make You Smarter: New Scientific Concepts to Improve Your Thinking
  • Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts
From Wikipedia:

Daniel Kahneman (Hebrew: דניאל כהנמן (born 5 March 1934) is an Israeli-American psychologist and winner of the 2002 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences, notable for his work on behavioral finance and hedonic psychology.

With Amos Tversky and others, Kahneman established a cognitive basis for common human errors using heuristics and biases (Kahneman & Tversky, 1973, Kahneman
More about Daniel Kahneman...

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.” 272 likes
“Nothing in life is as important as you think it is, while you are thinking about it” 145 likes