3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Caring for someone with dementia means devotedly and patiently doing a hundred little things each day. Few care providers are trained to meet the challenges of dementia, however. They need the guidance this book provides to overcome caregiving obstacles and cultivate more meaningful relationships with loved ones who have dementia and memory loss.

Laura Wayman's program of c...more
Published November 26th 2013 by Johns Hopkins University Press (first published April 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Loving Approach to Dementia Care, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Loving Approach to Dementia Care

Peggy
This short (108 page) book is a perfect book for the busy caregiver. It is easy to read and is written in layman's language. Each chapter shares a story of a real dementia patient and then Wayman offers advice on how to work with that patient to avoid conflict, anger, aggitation and to reduce confusion. But Wayman's overall message is the importance of the caregiver taking care of himself/herself and to not feel bad about feelings of anger and guilt.
Bev
We went to a worshop by this woman and bought her book. I wanted to get more information about what I might be facing with my mother. One of the comforting things was learning that she's not nearly as bad as I thought she was. But should her memory loss progress further, this is a wonderful guidebook for how best to deal with a loved one who is suffering from dementia or Alzheimers dementia.
Karen Morisette
An easy read but very informative and insightful. It helped me to understand where I have instinctively been doing things right, where I have to do some "tweaking," and where I was totally off base. I would highly recommend for those who have anyone in their lives with Dementia.
Sarah-Ruth
very helpful.
Bernice
Bernice is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2014
Sandy Sinagoga
Sandy Sinagoga marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
CNA Angel
CNA Angel marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2012
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2011
A Loving Approach to Dementia Care: Making Meaningful Connections with the Person Who Has Alzheimer's Disease or Other Dementia or Memory Loss A Loving Approach to Dementia Care: Making Meaningful Connections with the Person Who Has Alzheimer's Disease or Other Dementia or Memory Loss