Start by marking “Snoopy's Guide to the Writing Life” as Want to Read:
Snoopy's Guide to the Writing Life

Snoopy's Guide to the Writing Life

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Snoopy sits atop his dog house, banging out stories on a manual typewriter. Usually they begin "It was a dark and stormy night..." Always they're rejected. In Snoopy's Guide to the Writing Life--a wonderful gift for writers--a roundup of 30 famous writers and entertainers respond in short essays to their favorite Snoopy "at the typewriter" strip.

Each essay focuses on how

Published July 15th 2004 by Writer's Digest Books (first published September 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Snoopy's Guide to the Writing Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snoopy's Guide to the Writing Life

I have really mixed feelings about "Snoopy's Guide to the Writing Life." On one hand, it's a fine collection of "Peanuts" comic strips devoted to Snoopy's failed attempts to become a novelist; on the other hand, it's also a ridiculously awful collection of some of the most simple-minded, unhelpful, self-promoting advice by professional writers ever collected between two covers.

Among the contributors are such bestselling hacks as Danielle Steel, Clive Cussler and Sidney Sheldon, giving such worth
Tiffany Reisz
I know it's mostly cartoons but I'm still counting it for my book challenge goal. I ADORED this book. My husband gave it to me and it's a perfect gift book for the writer in your life. Endlessly hilarious and adorable.
I love Peanuts, and the ones of Snoopy writing are among my favourites. This book brings these together, with short essays on writing by a range of writers.

This is less a "how-to" book, and more an inspiration type, reminder why writing is important, and that is can be hard. After all, even Snoopy has enough rejection slips to make a quilt.

This was a reread, and as always I enjoyed the cartoons, and then dipped into the essays. And am now all enthused to start a story with the famous line "It wa
Oct 06, 2015 R. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to R. by: Nancy
Shelves: 2015, peanuts
The advice is hit and miss (like a writer is going to just give away their trade secrets in a feelgood coffeetable book), but the real treasures here are the Snoopy The Writer strips all under one red two-dimensional roof.

It was a minor disappointment to learn in the intro that John Updike turned down the editors (kindly), but it does strike one as amusing to wonder what other authors would advise Snoopy. I could see Neil Gaiman or Jonathan Lethem taking a swing at it. But how about...Michel Ho
Reading this book reminded me that I never really thought Peanuts was all that funny. Once in a while there's an amusing strip, but mostly I'm left staring blankly at the page. So it's weird to read a book that spends so much time praising it and saying how amazing and brilliant it is. I guess it's just not really my style.

One or two of the writing tips were good, but mostly I found myself slogging through them. There's a lot of stuff that doesn't really pertain to me (like how to write cookbook
David Anthony
It was a BARK and stormy night.
The premise here is an attractive one: take all those old Peanuts cartoons in which Snoopy bangs out "It was a dark and stormy night" on his typewriter, and put them together with thoughts on writing by well-known writers. I like reading writers on writing; author interviews can be fascinating. But not this time.

The publisher says it all here. Writer's Digest Books refuses to consider writing from any standpoint save the commercial, as this broadens their appeal. So we get everything from a seri
This is a collection of strips of Snoopy as the perpetually rejected novelist, interspersed with very short essays by published writers, many of whom you've never heard of, on the topic of writing. I'm pretty sure I've never read a single book written by any of the included authors, but because the essays are mostly terrible, I don't feel like I've missed anything. I did enjoy Danielle Steel's essay, however, because of how completely insane it is. To wit: "I sit at my typewriter and type until ...more
Jerald Belofsky
Cartoons are great and sometimes laugh out funny. The advice for writers is nothing special and just repeats what you can find in other writing books in a more expansive way.
Snoopy gets it. He knows what the writing life is like! I'd love to have some of these comics hanging on the wall over my desk.
A delightful collection of Snoopy's adventures in writing, peppered in with some advice from famous authors/celebrities.
Actually used this with a writing assignment in class. I had fun with the humor.
Nothing very insightful is offered from the writers who 'contribute' their thoughts to some hilarious Snoopy strips about his tribulations as an aspiring novelist.
A collection of Snoopy at the typewriter, trying to write comics, interspersed with essays by writers. I didn't find the essays as funny or as useful as the comics, which made me laugh out loud. I think most writers would be able to relate to Snoopy's plight and some of the humour in these strips.

One sad thing- this collection is now out of print, but I was able to find a used copy on I'm excited to photocopy some of the strips and share them with my writing students this summer.
Feb 27, 2015 Odelia marked it as get-back-to-or-dnf  ·  review of another edition
dang it i have to return this to the library

cant i just have it?
I've always loved Peanuts and the wit of Snoopy is one of my favorite parts of the comic strip.
Mike (the Paladin)
Want advice (as given to Snoopy of course) from many of today's top writers? I find a lot of the "let me help you write and get published" works of very little help (of course, I'm still unpublished...maybe I need to listen better). Anyway, while I haven't gone through all these entries...I like this book. And even if it doesn't help you (or me) get published, it's fun.
Roy Hudson
Charles Schulz's "Snoopy at the typewriter" comics sell this book on their own. I greeted the essays with mixed reactions. The big names like Ray Bradbury and Elmore Leonard didn't seem to take the book very seriously, so I wasn't that impressed. I'm still glad I bought the book, though, simply because of the Peanuts strips. Hilarious.
Great little book for the aspiring writer in all of us.

Like all Informational Books not everything within the pages could be used for your own purposes, but if there are/is a couple of tips you were able to find useful then the Book was worthwhile in viewing.
Yosef Shapiro
This collection features strips of Snoopy the writer. The interesting thing about this book are all of the tributes featured t/o the volume by many different well known authors. The strips themselves however become repetitious after a while.
Emma Bullen
Mixed feelings about this book. I love the original comics, but like the tips on writing by authors less.
Rhonda Hartman
I liked this book a lot. It talked about a lot of fears or complications that writers face. Mostly things of their own making. I also love Peanuts so the cartoons of Snoopy trying to write his novel were awesome.
Feb 07, 2008 Eri rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every down-hearted person
Shelves: inspiring
Inspiring:) Even furr top writers there are hardships - being rejected, lack of idea - but with persistency and consistency, every obstacles are challenges and as part of enlightment process.
You read that right - I finished a book!!!

(I started cross-stitching on the train and apparently that's where I did all my reading, whoops.)

A fun book with some lovely insights into Schultz.
Denis Collins
I love all Snoopy books, so guess what i loved this one too! I kept laughing out loud at the famous writing dog and his "It was a dark and stormy night...". Try it out you will love it!
Norma Nill
Nov 26, 2013 Norma Nill rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Norma by: can't remember
Shelves: humor, writing-craft
Insightful text is made all the more vivid by the comic strip. Not only for writers. Highly recommend to anyone who wants an insider's look at work from a variety of writers.
I'm only reading the delightful comments. I've never been terribly interested in most writings on writing by writers.

But Snoopy's a blast.
Erin George
Cute. But more for cutting out and hanging around a writer's office than anything else. (And I'm not such a big fan of cutting up books) ;-)
A collection of not really useful essays from writers, the book is mainly only good as a collection of strips of Snoopy's writing misadventures.
  • Description & Setting
  • Walking on Alligators: A Book of Meditations for Writers
  • Heroes And Villains: The True Story Of The Beach Boys
  • Everyday Life in the 1800s: A Guide for Writers, Students & Historians
  • Mission to Berlin: The American Airmen Who Struck the Heart of Hitler's Reich
  • The Rise of the Fourth Reich: The Secret Societies That Threaten to Take Over America
  • Take Joy: A Writer's Guide to Loving the Craft
  • Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing
  • Drawing on the Power of Resonance in Writing
  • Associated Press Stylebook And Libel Manual
  • All You Need Is Ears: The inside personal story of the genius who created The Beatles
  • Pen on Fire: A Busy Woman's Guide to Igniting the Writer Within
  • Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • Chicken Soup for the Writer's Soul: Stories to Open the Heart and Rekindle the Spirit of Writers
Matador 101 Best Scenes Ever Written: A Romp Through Literature for Writers and Readers The Death of Manolete The Complete Guide to Writing Fiction Learning to Write Fiction from the Masters