Start by marking “Sugar Moon” as Want to Read:
Sugar Moon

Sugar Moon

Elise sells magic, charms and dreams out the back door of her brightly painted wagon. A Witch and daughter of the Maja, she believes that everything happens for a reason, but she has never quite understood why there is a hollow feeling in the place where her heart should be.

One night, at the fabled Moon Market, she meets a stranger. The woman's name is Via, and in a single
ebook
Published June 21st 2011 (first published June 2011)

Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingMagic's Pawn by Mercedes LackeyKushiel's Dart by Jacqueline CareyAsh by Malinda LoThe Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
LGBT sci-fi and fantasy
294th out of 910 books — 792 voters
Keeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenThe Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. DanforthAsh by Malinda LoHer Name in the Sky by Kelly Quindlen
Lesbian teen fiction
143rd out of 339 books — 455 voters

More lists with this book...

Jillian -always aspiring-
Jun 24, 2011 Jillian -always aspiring- rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a whimsical read set in a very interesting magical world
Sugar Moon by Sarah Diemer is one of those books that had every potential for me to fall in love with it. Magic! Witches! Magic markets! Supernatural creatures! Good and evil! As it is, this novella was really rather wonderful -- but I couldn't help the feeling that it was an idea that could have used with some more flesh and exposition.

The story follows a Maja (a witch who believes in a Goddess whose only command is to love) named Elise who lives a lonely life, traveling in her bandyloo (akin t
Ally
Sep 16, 2013 Ally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
From my blog, http://wordvagabond.wordpress.com/ Reviews of independent and small press publications.

Sugar Moon is the engaging beginning to Sarah Diemer’s new Maja Trilogy, a thrilling mix of dark fantasy and romance. Diemer is an up-and-coming new independent author whose last work, The Dark Wife, was #2 on the Amazon LGBT Top Ten list. Her lush writing style and use of sensory imagery create an immersive sense of place. Within a few pages, the reader has a fairly good sense of the world, maki
Aine
Jul 01, 2012 Aine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-ebook, witchy
I picked up Sugar Moon by Sarah Diemer because it sounded like something a lovely pagan, such as myself, should read. While I love witchy tales (including Harry Potter, The Hollows, and the Caster Chronicles), there is a distinct lack of witchy tales that are true to the Pagan religion. Most are about waving wands and reciting incantations. And don't get me wrong, I enjoy that, but it isn't what paganism is about. So, perhaps, I should call this pagan fiction. Not witchy fiction.

The main charact
Nikki
Aug 18, 2011 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sugar Moon is a novella. There's enough story and world-building here for a whole novel, so I'm very happy about the prospect of two more stories in this world (not least because the story ends without resolving the main plot line, of course). It's a light read -- it felt like it took no time at all to read -- but with plenty of room to expand.

The central relationship is ostensibly that of Elise and Via, but I didn't feel that as much as I felt the sibling relationship between Elise and her brot
Lucy
Dec 15, 2012 Lucy rated it liked it
A totally enjoyable, intriguing, cute book...the only real problem is how short it is! There's supposed to be a sequel, but I haven't be able to find it. I'm really interested in this story, but it feels like it barely got going before the book ended. It felt like a great first 5 chapters of a much longer book.

I'm really falling in love with Sarah's books. They're the type of books I've always wanted. However, they do still feel a little rough, like they could have used another draft or another
Chris
Jul 18, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers, LGBT fiction readers, magic enthusiasts
Dreamy, idyllic, with a hint of danger, 'Sugar Moon' introduces us to the world of Elise, a lone witch girl traveling the country in search of rare botanicals. With her rich and evocative language, Diemer ropes you into the story and holds you with seemingly simple characters, though that is deceptive. As the story unfolds, you're drawn down deeper into a beautiful story that only leaves you wanting more as you come up for air.
Dana
Jan 07, 2013 Dana rated it really liked it
I love the world Sarah Diemer has crafted in this book. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the next in the series. It's a short read (around 160 pgs on e-readers) but it's a great one. My only complaint would be that there could have been more developments to draw it out more. However, the details were still poignant and enrapturing. I'll definitely be reading more of Sarah's works in the future.
Amanda
Jan 04, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Another Sarah book! So soon after the next and the beginning of a trio of novella's. I can't wait to see where this book goes. And I love how inspired about Soul Mates (and bonds) Sarah's writing in her books (and about her own life) her writing always leaves me.

I love hearing all about the spiritual lives of the characters they've been working together. I can't wait until summer for part two
Darlene
Jan 05, 2012 Darlene rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a good fantasy
Recommended to Darlene by: an authors' support group
This is an interesting story. The main character is well developed, as is the world she's in. I guess this is a wimpy review because I am needing to move on to book two--what is going to happen with the ickie sickie that is killing everyone? And what of her brother? I don't want to put any spoilers out there. This book is well worth picking up!
Lindley Walter-smith
Jun 20, 2012 Lindley Walter-smith rated it really liked it
I liked this, I really did, but it reads less as a novella in a trilogy as it does as the first third of a book. It feels like the moment it really gets going, it stops.
Ragemore83
Sep 22, 2011 Ragemore83 rated it really liked it
Well written, though very short. Leaves more to want in the volume of text. Beautifully written in concept and great story set up.
Nicky
Feb 21, 2012 Nicky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
A very sweet story, beautifully written. This book would go perfectly with a comfy couch and cup of tea.
Megan
Great start to a trilogy - now if only the author would put out the second book. :)
Neva
Jun 26, 2011 Neva rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and light-hearted beginning to the Maja trilogy.
katie
Jul 04, 2011 katie is currently reading it
I don't want this to end!
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Sami Smith
Sami Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Notevenalison
Notevenalison marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Hannah Flatman
Hannah Flatman marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Cjordan
Cjordan marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Ginnie
Ginnie marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Ellkaypee
Ellkaypee marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Erica Ivey-Conner
Erica Ivey-Conner marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Venus
Venus marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Natalie Bens
Natalie Bens marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Daija Van
Daija Van marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
  • One Solstice Night
  • Seven: A Lesbian Snow White
  • The Exile And the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles, #1)
  • The Poppet and the Lune (The Complete Series)
  • Gossamer Axe
  • Silver Kiss
  • Olivia
  • Gay Pride and Prejudice
  • Silver Moon
  • Lady Knight
  • Hellebore & Rue: Tales of Queer Women and Magic
  • Lunatic Fringe (Tales of the Pack, #1)
  • Shattered Dreams
  • Lois Lenz, Lesbian Secretary (Career-Girl, #1)
  • Nightshade (Arravan, #1)
4719155
I write about heroic, magical girls who love girls. YA author of Golden Crown Award-winning THE DARK WIFE (the lesbian, YA retelling of the Persephone myth) and TWIXT and co-author, with my amazing wife, author Jennifer Diemer, of Project Unicorn: A Lesbian YA Extravaganza.

More about Sarah Diemer...