The Day Tiger Rose Said Goodbye

The Day Tiger Rose Said Goodbye

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Not since The 10th Good Thing About Barney or I'll Always Love You has there been such a peaceful and inspiring book to help children and adults cope with the loss of a pet. The talented multiple-medalist Jane Yolen takes on this difficult subject with her usual grace and poetic sensitivity, focusing not on the death as much as the life in the last day of an older cat name...more
Published May 24th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

Emily Stueven
I imagine this gentle story of life and death will provide great comfort to young readers who have lost a pet.

It is a little sad. In detailing the domestic dynamic of Tiger Rose's household, it is revealed she is merely tolerated by the family dog and often goes unnoticed by Mom and Pop. But the children love her, and she is a happy cat who has lead a good life but has now come to her natural end. Again, it's a gentle story, so the pet here slips away into death brought on by old age (not by, f...more
Diane
This is the most beautiful book I've ever come across to explain the anticipated death of a beloved pet in a non-religious way. It's the story about a cat, Tiger Rose's life from city cat to country cat and what she and her family meant to one another. It slowly eases into the subject of her passing, by celebrating her life as well. Only then do we see that she's gotten older, she's much slower now, has lost her appetite, her legs hurt, her memory is not so good. Knowing her time left is short,...more
Carol Royce Owen
I saw this on the 40% off rack at a local bookstore, and picked it up because it's by a favorite author, Jane Yolen. I had forgotten that I had marked this as WANT TO READ, a while ago, and am very happy that I bought it.

This is a gentle, peace-filled book about an elderly cat, Tiger Rose, who knows it is her last day. The author and illustrator, Jim LaMarche, take us through her day as she she says good bye to all she loves and who have loved her, and even those who may not love her, but that...more
Savannah Foley
This book was incredibly beautiful. It was everything I wanted out of a book where a cat says goodbye to its life.

The pictures were beautiful, the prose heartbreaking in its simplicity. I'm not a person who cries easily, but I cried while reading this. Tiger Rose is perfectly content and poised, walking through the memories of her life and saying goodbye one by one. I am proud to have it on my shelves.
Robin
Jul 20, 2014 Robin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone explaining death of a family pet to a child
This is a touching story about the death of an aged family pet, told with love and compassion. The illustrations are a beautiful compliment to the story, and convey the soft dream like quality of her last spring day.

Tiger Rose is a family pet who has had a good life. Her kitten days are a faint memory and her body is now old and tired. She understands that her life is coming to an end and it is time to move on.
Tiger Rose reflects back on the time she had spent with her family, and the special re...more
Linda Lipko
Tiger Rose has lived a long, happy, contented life. Surrounded by a loving family who live in a house of laughter, Tiger Roses' world expanded to the animals who dwell in her environment, including a dog named Rowf who tolerates her, chipmunks, birds and the bushes that provided shade.

Few can pack such emotion in a mere 32 pages of incredible text and wonderful illustrations. Familiar with Yolen's writings, I've grown to expect superb, stellar insights.

She writes of things dear to us; she write...more
Wayne S.
Have you ever experienced the death of a pet cat or dog? Tiger Rose is a gray striped tabby cat. She was born in the city but now lives in the country with a boy and a girl who love her, a dog named Rowf who tolerates her, and two grown-ups named Mom and Pop who let her sit on the sofa as long as she doesn’t use her claws. She is surrounded by bushes, pine trees, butterflies, blue jays, moles, voles, chipmunks, snakes, starlings, ants, bees, sparrows, and goldfinches.
However, Tiger Rose has gro...more
Tasha
A quiet, thoughtful book about the death of a pet, this is a beautiful way to explain death to a child. Through poetry that paints pictures of Tiger Rose’s days and her life as well, the story is told in special moments and connections. Tiger Rose is an old cat and she knows her time is drawing near. As she heads off, she takes the time to see her people family once again, time to bid farewell to the sleeping dog, and time to visit her favorite places to nap. At the end, she cleans herself from...more
Eva Leger
3.5 - Something strange is going on. Julia and I read this book at home this afternoon and I was positive I'd get on here and only add an update to an already written review. Yet I didn't have this listed at all. Much less rated and reviewed. But I know for a fact I've done just that.
Jim LaMarche doesn't have an edition listed where he's the primary so there's no explanation yet. Is there another book identical to this story out there? And I do mean identical.
Anyway, I don't think I'd recommen...more
I first saw this book on a library display several months ago, and was drawn to it by the names of the author and illustrator, two of my favorites. I flipped through a few pages and promptly returned the book to the shelf, lest I started bawling in the middle of the public library. But I kept the title in the back of my mind in case we'd ever need it. As it turns out, we needed it sooner than I imagined we would.

I could go on and on about how beautiful this book is. The story itself is so gentl...more
Elizabeth
A fantastic book, beautifully illustrated, about the death of a pet. It's one of those stories for children told in a way that will speak to adults as well. It's not maudlin or frightening, just a quiet tale of an elderly cat leaving first her home and her human family, then other animals, and finally her body, to become "part of the earth, the air, the sky, the sun— and all."
Judy Desetti
I might be the only one who did not get all weepy and sad about this book. It is another tale of pets who die. This year, 2011, was a big year for books that dealt with death of a loved pet. This is the only one I have seen of a dying cat though.

I liked this book but felt the goodbyes went on too long. I also felt the kitty looked too young. Having had my cat for 18 years I know a cat looks much different than the one who was walking about in this story. In fact the dog looked older than the ca...more
Justina
This book is about Tiger Rose, an elderly cat who is ready to say goodbye on her last day. I have never read such a sensitive and beautiful book about death for children. I cried like a baby at the end of this 32-page picture book (and I was at work, reading it to review). It was simple, honest, and true. My boyfriend read it, and even he got tears in his eyes. The illustrations are soft and beautiful, and as Tiger Rose says goodbye to her family, her fellow animal the dog, and spends a few last...more
Marlee
I thought this book was really beautiful. My son was crying before we even finished the book and couldn't stop for quite a while. One of our cats died last year. I think that despite how much this book upset him, it was more in a healing way to release pain than it was in an actually upsetting way. I think this book is lovely. The pictures are fabulous, especially those at the end.
Paul  Hankins
Sitting alone on a Saturday evening and I have Jane Yolen's book in my library pile. I thought, "Oh, I can just read this one along with the others. I want to get some of these books read and into Goodreads to share with friends." Yeah. Now, I am sitting her like an idiot thinking about Fozzie who died right before we went to Disney World in 2010 and Gonzo who died (in my arms no less) right before we left for Pigeon Forge this spring. Oh, the burial and the dealing with broken hearts. . .the re...more
Tricia
This is possibly the best book to read when you are dealing with the loss of a pet cat. Good for any age. Made three adults that I showed it to cry when our beloved family cat died.
Shazia
It is about a cat that says goodbye to the world before she dies of old age. I would not be able to read this to a kid. The illustrations are soft and beautiful.
Lori Reed
Such a beautiful and simple book. After losing our 20 year old cat I turned to picture books to read with my children to help explain his death and to bring comfort to children who had never known life without our ginger tabby Indy. If you are looking for a book that embraces death as the "circle of life" this is the book for you. It tells the story of Tiger Rose who has grown old and tired. On her last day she says goodbye to all the people, animals, and things she knew and loved. Then she goes...more
Stacy
Cute story about a cat that it is her time to die. This would be a good book to introduce death of a pet to children.
Christiane
I knew I'd be all weepy over this one so saved it to read in the back room. It's a gentle, beautifully illustrated story of an old cat's last day. It's barely about the family at all, but I think it could be very comforting to children who have a pet die, especially if the pet dies at home (rather than having to be put to sleep at the vet). It has a spiritual, not religious, ending as the kitty becomes part of the earth again, but it's very low-key and would easily fit in with a family's persona...more
Alysha DeShaé
I knew I shouldn't read it. I knew I should have just left it alone. But I can't resist a cat book - even a sad one. *sigh* I don't even have the excuse of having children to read this to or a pet about to pass. I read it because I saw a cute cat and ignored the title and what it meant. Now I'm crying.

I will definitely be saving this book for it's intended use, though, because I'm sure it will be necessary one day - no one lives forever. :-(
Randie
Tiger Rose is not an active kitten anymore, she's tired and her legs sometimes hurt. Through gracefully written text and soft hued illustrations, Yolen and LaMarche help Tiger Rose say goodbye to everything she loves and move on to life after death.

It was not as sad as I originally thought it would be. I feel that many children experience the dying and death of a pet and this book is a gentle way to address what they are experiencing.
We read this as a family last year after our beloved cat died. It is very sweet and was therapeutic for us. The artwork has an old-fashioned, unrealistic aspect to it which I appreciated, as it kept me from reliving our loss.
Ms. B
Where was this book last fall when my cat named Tiger went away? This would have the been the perfect book to comfort me. Anyone who has had a pet wander off or die from natural causes will appreciate this read.
This is one book I know I will be recommending to others.
Mark
Decent end of life book. I'm a sucker for crying while reading dying animal picture books, esp. if the dying character is making the rounds, saying goodbye, returning library books, etc. and this book is no exception. (See Old Pig by Wild for an even better end of life story.)
Nicole
*pardon me while I wipe away a tear or two*

As a cat owner, this books was very bitter sweet for me - but it deals very gently with the idea of a pet dying of old age. Really beautiful and a great conversation-starter with kids who may be losing a pet or loved one soon...
Cathy Blackler
Anyone who needs a book to help children deal with the death of a pet cannot go wrong with Yolen's latest tale. Beautifully poetic, accompanied by exquisite illustrations, Tiger Roses's journey is a beautiful interpretation of the end of life.
Catherine
This one made me cry. I read it with my sweet little feline curled up on my lap and I do not look forward to the day she eventually chooses to say Goodbye. I hope it is still several years away.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Yolen tells the story of Tiger Rose - a cat who has grown old and sets about saying her good-byes in her own way, finally moving on. A gentle version of looking at the death of a pet.
Kim
If your looking for a bereavement book for you kids after the loss of an older cat or dog, this might be the one for you. It's a little long, so it could be best for older kids.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset...more
More about Jane Yolen...
The Devil's Arithmetic  Owl Moon How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? Briar Rose Dragon's Blood (The Pit Dragon Chronicles, #1)