Start by marking “Irreparable Harm (Sasha McCandless, #1)” as Want to Read:
Irreparable Harm  (Sasha McCandless, #1)

Irreparable Harm (Sasha McCandless #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  5,312 Ratings  ·  564 Reviews
There's an app for everything. Even evil.

Attorney Sasha McCandless is closing in on the prize after eight long years: she's months away from being made partner at a prestigious law firm. All she has to do is keep her head down and her billable hours up.

Then a plane operated by her client slams into the side of a mountain, killing everyone aboard. Sasha gears up to prepare
Published April 19th 2011 by Brown Street Books

To ask other readers questions about Irreparable Harm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irreparable Harm

Monnie
Apr 19, 2015 Monnie rated it really liked it
Legal and medical thrillers always top my list of favorites, most often in that order. So when I got an email from eReader Cafe early this month informing me that this one - the first in a series featuring attorney Sasha McCandless - at no cost, I read the description and took the plunge. Worst case, I told myself, it will cost nothing to find out I don't like it; but on the other hand, it could open up the door to a solid series.

Now that I've finished it, I'm happy to report the best-case scena
Brent
Sep 19, 2012 Brent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed that Miller chose a somewhat unusual setting (Pittsburgh) for her debut legal thriller, Irreparable Harm. She was obviously writing about an environment she knows well, as this former patron of Pamela's Diner can attest. :-) Her descriptions of life inside a Big Law defense firm also rang true, as did her insightful observations regarding the ways that the personal relationships between attorneys and judges can subtly but monumentally impact cases at crucial times.

Lawyers can be a part
Kim
Sep 08, 2013 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, fast, pacy and very well written. The characters were well formed and believable. The plot engaging and concluded well. I think it really deserves a 4* rating but that is exactly where I struggled. It is undoubtedly a good book but perhaps this is also its greatest flaw. I just felt the author had been on a creative writing course and had stuck strictly to a predefined template. it was a little too formulaic for me. The author played it safe & I would have liked t ...more
Michelline
May 18, 2016 Michelline rated it liked it
I have to agree with one review I read that this book is a decent legal thriller. As stated by the same reviewer you figure out the plot of the book well before half way in. That was a bummer, I would have liked to have been more surprised at who the culprits were.

Sasha is a good character, she's strong witted in the courtroom and knows how to defend herself with Krav Maga. I really don't have much to say about her, because most female characters in books are the same in ways.

Leo is still a my
Frances
3.5 * An entertaining book which captures the reader at the get go as a Boeing 737 goes off course and slams into a mountain. Sasha McCandless is a smart and savvy corporate lawyer assigned to defend civil law suits from this catastrophe. At five feet three inches tall she is well trained, with bone breaking moves from combat Krav Maga training, and does serious damage to thugs who get in her way as they try to stop her from discovering why the plane crashed. Irreparable Harm moves at a good pac ...more
Janet Mahlum
Aug 15, 2015 Janet Mahlum rated it it was ok
The book was a fairly enjoyable read until the author suddenly decided she had written enough pages. She gathered up all the baddies and put them together in one place, let Sasha McCandless have one last chance to show off her self-defense skills, let the police come busting in and load all the baddies in the police car except the one that went in the body bag. Sasha runs into the judge who, she thinks, has such a bad impression of her and discovers he knows the truth after all. The last few sen ...more
Jessica
Mar 23, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Sasha McCandless is an overachieving associate at a major law firm in Pittsburgh. Despite her diminutive size, she kicks some serious ass both in the court room, and in Krav Magra practice. I didn't care for her at first. She was a bit too perfect. But as the story developed, I grew to like the way that Sasha handled the plot twists that were thrown her way.
An airplane's coordinates are changed mid-flight, and it crashes into a mountain. The law firm that Sasha works for springs into action to d
Paul
Jul 25, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up on a friend's recommendation because he knows how much I dislike John Grisham. He was right. Melissa Miller's narrative and the central character she creates in Sasha are interesting, and I found myself actually engaged in a story that could, in the hands of a lesser writer, have become tedious to the point of agony.

In a few words, Sasha works for a mega-sized law firm, is working toward partnership, and lands a potential class-action case around a plane crash. Circumstances bec
Kate's Reads
Mar 23, 2012 Kate's Reads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The legal thriller "Irreparable Harm", by Melissa F. Miller begins with an airliner crashing into the side of a mountain for no apparent reason. All aboard are killed.

Sasha McCandless is a lawyer on track to soon make partner in her large law firm. The airline company is a client of the firm and the team scrambles to prepare for the inevitable law suits resulting from the accident. Until she discovers it wasn't an accident.

A company has developed an application that can take over control of a
Jerry Grahs
I don't want to sound overly critical. This book sounded mildly interesting and was a free Kindle offering so I downloaded and read. Characterizations are cardboard cutouts. We are offered plenty of cliches and stereotypes. Outside of physical and ethnic characteristics of the heroine and her male sidekick we don't learn much about either one.

The heroine is a lawyer and Miller spends expends a great deal of effort describing the hierarchy a large law firm. This may be interesting to someone who
Peg
Apr 13, 2015 Peg rated it really liked it
Enjoyable legal thriller

Irreparable Harm has lots going for it. I liked the spunky protagonist, who didn't need a man to rescue her. I liked the plot, which kept me reading on. I liked the characters, both good and bad, because they all had a reality to them. I even liked the legal detail, which was given in short bursts. It was a good read, not too intense, with heroes to cheer for. Just what I was looking for at the moment.
Lyle Nicholson
Jan 17, 2016 Lyle Nicholson rated it it was ok
I got this book off of BookBub for free and was intrigued by it being a best seller on USA Today. It does hit all the things that people are anxious about. Plane crash, possible terrorism, big business and greed.

Where this book had me shaking my head, was there were too many instances where I'm wondering why on earth would the protagonist do some of the actions she does. I don't want to spoil that story, but a writer has to give the characters some kind of brains.

I did like the pace of the story
Sharon Michael
Jul 31, 2012 Sharon Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am *not* a fan of legal thrillers but the airline link intrigued me so decided to try this as it was a free download. I'm very glad I did.

Not the usual 'lawyer mystery' at all. The airline crash investigation as the main element of the plot was a plus and the main character was very much an individual and the type of person I find interesting.

The law enforcement end of things seemed a little unrealistic at times, but I did not find it overly distracting. Very entertaining read and I've already
Gerald Kubicki
May 26, 2016 Gerald Kubicki rated it really liked it
Sasha is a almost super-hero who can fight and pratice law at the same time. It was a quick read.
Doug Hoffman
Jul 06, 2014 Doug Hoffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a big fan of legal thriller but on occasion I feel the need to clear my palate from my normal science fiction fare. Having said that, I really liked Irreparable Harm. The plot was twisty enough to hold the reader's interest, the characters are likeable and well developed, and the action plentiful. Even the legal details are presented in an interesting and understandable way. The writing is good though there were a few editing errors. In all, a fast, entertaining read. I liked it so much ...more
Stephanie
This is a perfectly acceptable legal thrilled. There's nothing revolutionary about it, and I had most of the plot figured out before I was 40 pages deep. That said, these books are perfect for quick reads after the holidays, so I'm not complaining.

I purchased the second book in the series for my Nook, and I plan to read that before the New Year as well. The first book was a very quick read (finished it in just over 12 hours), and I suspect the second one will be as well.
Jennifer (Sad Books Say So Much)
D.R. Oestreicher
Jun 28, 2016 D.R. Oestreicher rated it it was amazing
Reminiscent of John Grisham and Stephanie Plum, Sarah McCandless is a lawyer and a detective. When a client’s commercial jet crashes into a mountain, Sarah is part of the team assigned to defend the client from the expected law suits. Aside from being a rising star at a large firm, Sarah has a secret. In her very limited spare time, she has become something of a martial arts expert.

Both her legal skills and her martial arts are put to the test, when her boss is murdered and she is put in charge,
Evan
Apr 13, 2016 Evan rated it liked it
This was a good first outing about a super lawyer in the making. Sasha has reached the top of the pyramid of associates at a white-shoe Pittsburgh law firm. Not only a brilliant lawyer, Sasha is a martial arts master. Her mentor is one of the firm's managing partners, who has sacrificed his personal life for his work. Sasha is following his lead on this imbalance too. Hopefully, the series will give its author a place to work out burdens of Big Law.

The story opens with Sasha short-circuiting a
Thom Swennes
Jan 12, 2016 Thom Swennes rated it really liked it
Aspiring for a partnership, attorney Sasha McCandless is a five foot nothing powerhouse and enjoys relative job safety in the prestigious law firm of Prescott & Talbott. When a Boeing 737, Flight 1667 of Hemisphere Air suddenly crashed, the firm took immediate action to defend their client’s interests. Noah Peterson, a well-respected partner in the firm asks Sasha to be his second in command (something that was necessary for a firm of a couple of hundred employees. She immediately started to ...more
Dharma Kelleher
Sep 06, 2015 Dharma Kelleher rated it really liked it
Irreparable Harm, the debut legal thriller from Melissa F. Miller, takes readers on quite a ride. Attorney Sasha McCandless is rising in the ranks at a prestigious law firm in Pittsburgh. When an airliner crashes, killing all on board, McCandless is called in to head the team defending her client Hemisphere Air against a class action lawsuit.

Sasha soon learns that the crash may have not been an accident. The airline had secretly installed an experimental remote operating system, which may have b
Carol Piner
Mar 26, 2015 Carol Piner rated it it was amazing
Melissa Miller's butt kicking top prosecutor known as Sasha McCandless sure got her chance to kick a little butt in Irreparable Harm. As a matter of fact, one of the first to feel her roar was a very compelling Air Marshall named Lee Connelly. Although he did reel her from his poorly planned introduction, after which he walked away with a broken nose and finger, he never lost sight of his job.

This book is eerily similar to the recent event of a suicide/murder from a downed plane, it was not caus
Mar 08, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Thoroughly enjoyable! Packed with action and intrigue! Those were my first thoughts upon reading Irreparable Harm. I was completely taken in my Sasha McCandless. Here’s this delicate, petite woman, who appears to be as harmless as a fly, but threaten her and you’ll find yourself flat on the floor. Sasha trains in Krav Maga which she uses more than once while investigating this case. Sasha is also a highly respected lawyer who is about to made a partner in her firm, but only if she handles this c ...more
Kat
Mar 06, 2015 Kat rated it really liked it
This is categorized as a legal thriller, but the legal aspects are extremely peripheral. The main character, Sasha McCandless, is a lawyer. It is in her profession that she comes across the events that form the over-arching plot of intrigue and action, but unlike most "legal thrillers," almost none of the book actually takes place in a courtroom.

First, Miller's heroine is a strong female lead who is believable. She's flawed, but she's very successful and very capable of taking care of herself -
Ruby Bibi
Jul 18, 2016 Ruby Bibi rated it really liked it
-Contemporary legal thriller and the first in a series of detective stories told around the character of Sasha McCandless, a young rising star in a legal firm in Pittsburgh. Petite, but very much in shape, she takes Krav Maga classes on a regular basis.
-The story opens as a passenger on a plane, Angelo Calvaruso, opens his laptop, and enters his coordinates. He thinks about his wife, children and grandchildren, and then presses the "send" icon. Shortly after, the plane crashed into a mountain, k
Regan Isaacs
Nov 21, 2015 Regan Isaacs rated it it was ok
Not terrible but not great either

The story was entertaining but if you like a story to be somewhat believable then this isn't for you. Not incredibly difficult to figure out what was happening. The characters were not very developed or really likable. I also listened some to the audible version and the narrator wasn't great which is why I gave 2 stars rather than 3. With all that being said I still had to finish the story. Entertaining and light but a bit ridiculous too.
Levent Mollamustafaoglu
Melissa F. Miller is a lawyer and her vast knowledge of legal procedures shows in this book. It is a familiar territory where the best author is arguably John Grisham. The book's title, "Irreparable Harm" is taken from legal language as well.

The novel describes the adventures of Sasha McCandles, who is a lawyer in a big Law firm and gets tangled in the defines of an Airline who has had one of their planes inexplicably hit a hill, with no explanation on a sudden course of change in the automatic
Shirley Thomas
It was quite a ride; there were some snags but over all pretty OK.

Am not as enthusiastic about this as the thriller I read before. More than once, I put the book down without anything serious prompting me to do so. There was a conclusion leap that I didn't buy somewhere in the middle of the story, too. Some editing misses: fragmented sentences, double pronouns and a particularly glaring typo.

I mean, I taught ESL and was generally very lenient with students—I didn't usually fixate on typos or dou
Terric853
Oct 23, 2014 Terric853 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Great book!

Sasha McCandless is an attorney in a Pittsburgh, PA, law firm that represents a large airline based in the area. One of the airline's planes crashes for no apparent reason in the mountains of Virginia, killing all on board. As her company prepares for the liability lawsuits they envision coming from the families of the dead, she learns that the client had modified the plane with an illegal override system.

Leonard Connelly is the air marshall assigned to investigate the crash. He
The Free Book Cha...: Irreparable Harm, by Melissa F. Miller 3 28 Jun 17, 2015 08:49PM
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • The 19th Element (James Becker, #1)
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • Noble Beginnings (Jack Noble #1)
  • The Gray and Guilty Sea (Garrison Gage, #1)
  • The Devil's Deep
  • Setup on Front Street
  • Final Vector
  • Wrecker
  • Fatal Exchange (Fatal #1)
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • Motor City Shakedown (Bright and Fletcher, #1)
  • Ties That Bind (Madison Knight, #1)
  • Illegal
  • The Scavenger's Daughter: A Tyler West Mystery
  • The Ninth District   A Thriller (Volume 1)
  • Revenge (Travis Mays, #1)
  • Past Imperfect

I am a writer, mother, wife, and lawyer. I write crime fiction.

I have been writing since my fingers could grasp a pencil. (Note to mom: no need to dig those early works out of the attic!)

I have a degree in English from the University of Pennsylvania (with a double concentration in medieval literature and creative writing poetry).
After college, I worked as an editor for three years before attendin
More about Melissa F. Miller...

Sasha McCandless (9 books)
  • Inadvertent Disclosure (Sasha McCandless, #2)
  • Irretrievably Broken (Sasha McCandless, #3)
  • Indispensable Party (Sasha McCandless, #4)
  • Improper Influence (Sasha McCandless, #5)
  • Irrevocable Trust (Sasha McCandless, #6)
  • Irrefutable Evidence (Sasha McCandless, #7)
  • Informed Consent (Sasha McCandless, #8)
  • International Incident (Sasha McCandless, #9)

“So, Sasha took charge of the meeting and set for herself the same goal she had every time she babysat her nieces and nephews: no blood; no property damage in excess of a hundred dollars; and everybody eats something.” 2 likes
“planespotters,” 1 likes