Start by marking “Vertical Vegetables & Fruit: Creative Gardening Techniques for Growing Up in Small Spaces” as Want to Read:

For gardeners working in confined spaces, Rhonda Massingham Hart presents an ingenious solution for maximizing productivity: grow up! With tepees, trellises, hanging baskets, cages, wall pockets, and multilevel raised beds, you can reap bountiful harvests in even the tiniest growing areas. From kiwis on a clothesline to tomatoes dangling outside a window, Vertical Vegetabl ...more
Published November 16th 2011 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Vertical Vegetables & Fruit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vertical Vegetables & Fruit

Shala Kerrigan
Apr 22, 2012 Shala Kerrigan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diy, greener-living
Vertical Vegatables and Fruit : Creative Gardening Techniques for Growing Up In Small Spaces by Rhonda Massingham Hart is a nice addition to a gardening library for people who are considering growing a lot more of their own food in limited space.

This is best for people who have at least a small yard, however there are some ideas for people who only have a balcony or a sunny window as well.

It starts with good reasons to think vertically for your garden. How it helps plants take advantage of sunli
Sara
Apr 29, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it
The description says "innovative", and that is definitely not the case. You've seen 95% of this before, and almost always with better pictures.
But the info on pruning and training the various kinds of plants was precise, succinct, and useful -- and something that's not normally covered as well in other vertical growing books/blogs. That info easily earned the book an extra star.
The other thing I appreciated was that (while she does lean heavily toward recommending hybrid seed, which made me crin
Naomi
May 25, 2012 Naomi rated it liked it
As someone who just expanded my garden, I am always looking for ideas on how to conserve space to get more "bang" out of it. This author presented some interesting ideas for supports and container gardening which I will be putting some to use. I did feel with the size of some of the supports that I thought they would have some really difficult times in smaller gardens. I saw the supports more for alternative ways to tomato cages, etc. versus for a smaller garden.
EdibleNotesReviews
Dec 14, 2011 EdibleNotesReviews rated it it was amazing
Shelves: garden
Growing up and not out are words to live by for anyone who gardens in small spaces - or who wants to produce more from the space they have. Vertical Vegetables & Fruit by Master Gardener Rhonda Massingham Hart (Storey Publishing, Dec. 2011) is an absolute treasure-trove of highly useful and practical information for any gardener considering growing tomatoes on a balcony or growing more fruit through space-saving espallier pruning and anything in between.

Hart has compiled, in a brisk, tightly
Emilyn
Apr 04, 2012 Emilyn rated it it was amazing
Also posted on www.greenbibliophile.wordpress.com
This is a very informative book for maximizing use of space for a garden. There are some great tips for what types of plants can be trained to grow vertically and what types of structures should be used for what types of vegetables. Hart also provides suggestions for which materials to use for different types of structures and suggestions for the best way to assemble many of the structures described.

There are also some ideas for producing homegrow
Robin
May 23, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: hobbies
Excellent read for novice and amateur gardener. I'm sure experienced gardeners will be all "been there, know that, done that". I have been gardening (successfully as far as I'm concerned) for a few years and found this book reinforcing things I'd figured out on my own and adding to my efforts. I thought this book would be all about vertical gardening (that's why I checked it out n the first place), but there is so much more in it than I expected. I wish I'd read this book a few years back and ha ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 05, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Well-organized and enjoyable to read with what looks to me (an inexperienced gardener slowly branching out from pre-potted flowers) like good advice on selecting plant varieties and getting the most out of different types of produce. Looking forward to trying some of the trellis techniques on my porch next spring.
Faith
Feb 15, 2014 Faith rated it really liked it
I picked up some very useful tips and some good ideas for making the most of a small space for growing fruit and vegetables. The explanations for putting together A-frames and teepees, etc. were pretty clear and there were a good number of recommendations for types of plants work well for vertical or container growing.
Rachel
Jul 25, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: garden
first section about various ways to grow up trellises hanging pots etc and why : less exposure to pest who live on the ground, shades itself, more efficient watering usually easier to harvest

2nd annual vines (vegies) about specific varieties of veg and their grow times plus best methods for growing them

3rd perennial fruits
Emory
Oct 29, 2013 Emory rated it it was amazing
This book has almost everything you would want to design and build a vertical garden. It has a chapter in the back called resources for gardeners, that contains websites for seeds or plants and more ideas for trellises and supports. If you would like to think outside the box, this book will have you growing veggies and fruit vertical in no time.
Rebecca
Jul 03, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: garden
This book is AWESOME holistic approach to packing edibles in limited space, but increasing yield by sending anything with vertical capabilities soaring...or cascading down from great heights. ;) Didn't want to return it to the library, and I already need it again as a resource for setting up my balcony veggie garden.
Ria F
Jun 12, 2012 Ria F rated it it was amazing
I already have been working with different vertical gardening ideas on a balcony. This book has more ideas I want to try and also a rundown of various plants that work well with this concept- while not expressly a container garden book - containers are covered in all chapters. I will be buying my own copy to keep in my library,
Alison
Feb 21, 2013 Alison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
I really enjoyed this book. It had some wonderful creative ideas for re purposing items for garden use, such as old canvas shopping bags. I found the information to be useful and not as region specific as some other books on the same topic.
Manhattan Public Library
Aug 25, 2012 Manhattan Public Library rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, gardening
For people with small gardens, planting food crops that climb can greatly increase yield. This book is a great resource for recommending which types of structures are best for each type of climbing plant.
Raech
Jan 28, 2014 Raech added it
New gardener looking to go up instead of wasting space. Not the target audience since I have a bigger garden, but it was an informative, creative read and I can still apply many of these ideas to my bigger space.
Westerville
Nov 02, 2012 Westerville rated it really liked it
Shelves: adults, non-fiction
Creative ideas for different containers, materials and structures, like a cloth shoe bag, using old tees for fruit hammocks, bamboo stakes, etc. - Tamara, Computer Services

Reserve a library copy.
Voracious
Mar 12, 2013 Voracious rated it really liked it
Lots of practical advice. American, so much of the info on varieties not very useful here in NZ, but otherwise very helpful.
Tracy Canuck
Sep 03, 2016 Tracy Canuck rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy
No actual photos, just drawings but still helpful info within.
Tamara
Oct 28, 2012 Tamara rated it really liked it
Meredith Y
Mar 17, 2014 Meredith Y rated it it was amazing
A wonderful resource for anyone considering vertical or square foot gardening! The suggestions for particular vegetable species is also very helpful.
Susan
Nov 17, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: hobbies, 2015
A solid resource full of information not just about vertical growing but also 'secret life' facts about various plants, seed saving and propagating, and much more.
Heather
Jan 16, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
I love this book!! I have eight acres and I still want to use every idea here. I am so ready to start gardening and this book is at fault, it's brought spring fever full blast for me.
Fernleaf
Feb 03, 2012 Fernleaf rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, gardening
A great book with plans and ideas for vertical gardening and recommendations on varieties for both vegetables and fruits that do well in a vertical system.
Jena Buckwell
Jena Buckwell rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Emily Duran
Emily Duran rated it really liked it
May 16, 2013
Susannahboudreaux
Susannahboudreaux rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2014
Margaret Everett
Margaret Everett rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Alicia
Alicia rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2015
Smart Gardener
Smart Gardener rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2013
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
May 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Perfectly Timed Gardening for Your Most Bountiful Harvest Ever
  • The Essential Urban Farmer
  • Don't Throw It, Grow It!: 68 Windowsill Plants From Kitchen Scraps
  • Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible
  • Vertical Gardening: Grow Up, Not Out, for More Vegetables and Flowers in Much Less Space
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • A Little Piece of Earth: How to Grow Your Own Food in Small Spaces
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way (Rodale Organic Gardening Books)
  • The Complete Compost Gardening Guide: Banner Batches, Grow Heaps, Comforter Compost, and Other Amazing Techniques for Saving Time and Money, and Producing the Most Flavorful, Nutritious Vegetables Ever
  • Edible Landscaping
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • One Magic Square: The Easy, Organic Way to Grow Your Own Food on a 3-Foot Square
  • Designing the New Kitchen Garden: An American Potager Handbook
  • DIY Projects for the Self-Sufficient Homeowner: 25 Ways to Build a Self-Reliant Lifestyle
  • Small-Plot, High-Yield Gardening: How to Grow Like a Pro, Save Money, and Eat Well by Turning Your Back (or Front or Side) Yard Into An Organic Produce Garden
  • The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener: How to Grow Your Own Food 365 Days a Year, No Matter Where You Live
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting