Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot

Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot (Hailey's War #2)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot is the gripping sequel to Jodi Compton’s Hailey’s War. When we last left her, West Point dropout Hailey Cain had defied a powerful mobster to protect a pregnant teenager and child. The events of Hailey’s War nearly cost Cain her life, but Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot sees Hailey back in Los Angeles, now second-in-command to rising gan...more
Published July 19th 2011 by Crown (first published January 1st 2011)

Cheryl
Things are alright with Hailey. Nothing that a missing finger will keep Hailey down. Hailey is going strong as Serena’s right hand woman. Hailey has also taken up fighting in the ring for money. Things just may be looking up for Hailey. Nope, I spoke too soon. Hailey has just become the number one suspect in a murder investigation. To make matters worse, one of the victims was a cop.

Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot is the follow up to Hailey’s War. It is recommended that you read Hailey’s War...more
Owen
In compliance with FTC guidelines, I disclose that I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

The first thing I noticed while I was reading this book was how awkward the 'street' dialogue was between the 2 main characters, the white Hailey and the Hispanic gang leader Serena. The oddly placed slang, seemingly arbitrary use of Spanish words to emphasize their gang lifestyle, and overall tone came off as a product of someone from a privileged background who's only exposure to L.A...more
Caitlin
I really enjoyed Ms. Compton's first book, Hailey's War (read my review), but somehow missed that her second had come it so I was very happy to run across it on GoodReads in some random way.

Once again Ms. Compton has written a great thriller with interesting characters and a different take on how things work. The fact that her main characters are tough women trying to make it independently in worlds where that is very difficult makes these books even better.

Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot is a...more
Katherine
This is not the actual edition I read but since the uncorrected proof which I won in the Goodreads Giveaway is not listed I am using the hard cover edition. This is one of the best first reads I have won and it apparently is the seond in a series with Hailey Cain, a West Point dropout ( not really) and present day member of an all girl LA gang ( really ) As a matter of fact she is the only white member and is the blond lieutenant,Insula, for the leader, Serena "Warchild" Delgadilla, a friend sin...more
Terri
'Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot' by Jodi Compton is the sequel to another book, 'Hailey's War.' In 'Thieves Get Rich', Hailey has now moved on from the debacle with Nidia Hernandez and Skouras' boys. Now she is the full-fledged lieutenant of the sucias and is working along side her friend Serena. But when news comes out of San Francisco that Hailey Cain is the prime suspect in the murder of an affluent old woman, Hailey doesn't cower or doesn't turn herself into the cops to try and explain th...more
Kris
I received an ARC of this book in a first reads giveaway.

I haven't read the first book in this series, but I didn't feel like I missed out on anything (not that I would know if I had). Hailey Cain is the only white member of a gang. Because she took Rosa's place as second-in-command, Rosa wants to take over the gang now. In addition, an anti-gang detect is taking a growing interest in the gang, and Hailey is suspected for the murder of two people--a crime that she didn't commit (as she was busy...more
Jessica
Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot is the follow up to Hailey's War (which I didn't read but the backstory is all laid out for readers like myself). Hailey was two months shy of graduating West Point when the army gave her a medical discharge due to a deadly brain tumor which compromises her judgment and impairs her sense of fear. SHe hooks up with Serena "Warchild" Delgadillo, the leader of a Latina female gang in Los Angeles. Warchild calls Hailey informing her she is wanted for a double murder...more
Tara Chevrestt
This is a sequel to Hailey's War. Hailey was once a West Point cadet with high aspirations, but the discovery of a brain tumor got her kicked out of the military and a sequence of really mucked up life events has led to Hailey being a gang banger with a missing finger and no capacity for fear... that last bit is due to the brain tumor. The scrapes Hailey gets into, such as locking herself in the trunk of the car of the guy who cut her finger off could be considered brave... but Hailey wonders if...more
Carmen
At first I did not think I would be able to read this. Supporting a gang is unacceptable to me. I had to remember to lighten up, it's fiction. Ha! I found Jody Compton to be an excellent writer to keep my attention and continue reading. This was a book I could not put down. It was fast moving, adventurous and a great read. I look forward to reading more of her books.

I won this book for free through Goodreads first reads giveaway! Thank you Crown Publishers!
Sara Henry
Yes, it would be good if you first got your hands on the first in this series, the superb HAILEY'S WAR, but you don't have to. Jodi's protagonist, Hailey Cain, is possibly my favorite female protagonist in US suspense/crime writing - gutsy, complex, memorable - and Jodi's novels are simply crackerjack: among the most richly nuanced I've read, tightly plotted and paced, with a helluva emotional punch. I recommend highly.
Kaytlin Hoover
I won an ARC copy of this book through First-Reads Giveaways.
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Hailey Cain is a fascinating character on top of being likeable, so I found myself caring about her even though it was hard to relate to her personally. Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot is a fast, enjoyable read.
Beth Southard
I didn't connect on the first disc. By the time I got to 2nd disc, enough action enriched the dry, cynical, monotone "voice" of Hailey Cain. So, now I am interested in what happens. More later..

I drive a lot and love the format. Also,this format helps me focus a little when I am working on something else.

O
Fredrick Danysh
Discharged from the Military Academy for a brain tumor, Hailey joins a female gang and is accussed of killing policemen. The only trouble is that she is not a cop killer. Free copy for review purposes.
Kay
I would have given it an additional half star if possible. This is a sequel to Hailey's War which I really enjoyed. Something was lacking in this book. However, it was one of those 'quick reads'.
Melodi
I liked the book from the beginning till it got close to the end. I didn't like the ending. I thought it would be more interesting. I was hoping for something really unexpected but it was just okay.
Sana Noor
I didn't quite like this book. I guess the story didn't quite mesh well with me or something. Or maybe it was too raw for me, but then again i've been known to like raw books. Hmm?
Fredrick
Hailey Cain joins a female gang after her dismissal from West Point. After she is framed for a double murder she attempts to prove her innocence. Ii enjoyed this story.
Susie
I liked this book. You can tell by the ending that there will be more in the series and I would read more. The plot was different and had surprising twists and turns.
Trudy
Good reading. Interesting and different. Will want to keep up with where Hailley goes next and go back and read the 1st book.
Terri A. Wilson
After reading fantasy all summer, this series is a pleasant surprise. Hoping there is going to be more.
Nicole
I got this book as part of the first reads program. I just finished reading it and really enjoyed it!
Evanthia Campione
Loved it! Very engaging plot!
Cass
loved it! cant wait for the next one
Anthony
It was fun. Quick easy read.
Hira
Review coming really soon! :)
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Delores Alger
Delores Alger marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Jodi Compton, like Hailey Cain, is "Californian in a way a lot of people are Californian; I was born someplace else." Jodi has lived in California since the age of one, excepting a brief stint in Minneapolis. She is the author of two previous crime novels, The 37th Hour and Sympathy Between Humans. She currently lives in Northern California with her Lab mix, Lady Bird.
More about Jodi Compton...
The 37th Hour (Sarah Pribek #1) Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2) Hailey's War (Hailey's War #1)