Start by marking “The Barbed Coil” as Want to Read:
The Barbed Coil

The Barbed Coil

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,690 ratings  ·  45 reviews
When Izgard of Garizon put on the Coil and crowned himself King, he set in train a course of tumultuous events that would reverberate around the continent. For the Coil must have blood.
And the first blood to flow is that of Berick of Thorn, the legendary conqueror of Garizon. His son, Camron, wants revenge and knows that Izgard can only be stopped by force of arms. He see
Published November 4th 2010 by Orbit (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Barbed Coil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Barbed Coil

Candice Kamencik
I'm not one that easily gives four and five star reviews, but this book definitely deserves it. The writing is excellent, and even though there are a lot of descriptive parts in the book, it's not boring, tedious, or too wordy, which are pet peeves of mine with heavy description. The story itself flows well, and the characters are very well developed and deepened throughout the book, keeping the reader not only interested in the story but the players as well. What I'm most impressed with is the ...more
Tracey
My favorite fantasy book. Has more war in it than I typically like, but I thought the characters were very well-developed, and the crossover fantasy bit was wonderful. Not too much emphasis on our world. The antagonist was just crazy enough to be believable without being ridiculous, and I loved the way he was eventually defeated. The best bit was the way magic was handled, because it was completely different from anything I'd ever read before.
Carla
Without a doubt, this is my favorite read so far this year!

Seriously guys, not since The Final Empire and A Game of Thrones has my heart beat this way over a book!! I began to think it would never happen, but The Barbed Coil blew me out of the water!

Quick synopsis, since I know this isn't a very well known book (shame! Everyone needs to read this!): Tessa McCamfrey lives in modern-day San Diego. At the outset, Tessa's going through life with little enthusiasm, attaching herself to nothing and
Nathan Fehr
Sep 21, 2009 Nathan Fehr rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nathan by: Lloyd
Shelves: rather-good
Final Thoughts:
- Jones seems to enjoy pushing her characters to the breaking point and beyond, both physically and emotionally. Nobody seems to get through the book without being beaten down to within inches of their lives. At least, nobody who actually lives to the end. I found it compelling if not a little wrenching to read - I really wanted things to get better for these characters, which I guess is a sign of attachment.

- Magic is handled differently than I've seen before and I totally enjo
Katharine Engan
I have owned the book for 11 or 12 years now, and still come back to it when I want a good, compact fantasy to read.

It can be quite refreshing to read a stand-alone fantasy novel (and it's becoming much harder to find them these days). Jones manages to illustrate the characters vividly- especially Tessa, an artist cursed by magic. The mercenary Ravis also has an impressive amount of back-story peppered through the book, all of it fascinating and usually heart-wrenching.

As the book gets underway
Becca
Someone recommended J.V. Jones... who was that? I liked this book. I also liked that it was a stand-alone so I didn't have to read the next 8 books in a series or whatever. (Actually, I'm not against that, but I wasn't in the mood this time.) This fantasy novel had a refreshing modern element to it.
Emily
Mar 12, 2009 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily by: Sharla
This was a great stand alone fantasy book. I loved the characters and the story was engaging. J.V. Jones is an excellent author.
Liz
Good read. The insane guy was really twisted, I couldn't hardly stand to read his parts, but they were really well done.
Arwen
Mar 06, 2009 Arwen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers
Shelves: four-star
An interesting fantasy tale. Violent and not for younger readers.
Carl Hackman
Really enjoyed this novel. J.V Jones has a great voice.
Eoghann Irving
I hadn’t read anything by J.V. Jones previously but there have been a number of positive comments on the mailing list so when I saw this book in the bookshop I decided to buy it. The plot as summarised on the back of the book is fairly traditional. Villainous King bent on conquering the world. Three disparate individuals brought together to stop him.

But of course it's not the bare outline of a story that makes the book, it's the details. The villain is a strangely caring man warped by fate and s
Nem
I read this book before, many years ago, so I knew vaguely what was going to happen. It was more dull than I remembered. It starts off exciting, and then draws into a lull where not very much happens, and then ends with a surprisingly explosive climax. I found the scenes with Tessa drawing the illuminations very tedious. But, I loved the Harras, and I adored Izgard (I'm a sucker for lunatics, I think I've mentioned that before...) but I didn't like Tessa or Ravis very much. Tessa not fitting in ...more
Eliza Baum
This was the first fantasy novel I ever read, a decade ago now. I honestly didn't expect to like it as much as I did, mostly because the story so heavily revolves around war. It does contain one of my favorite types of fantasy plots--the person from our world sucked into a fantasy world--and that's what drew me to it. Strangely, the "our world" piece of the story is so small that it's insignificant. Tessa's connection to where she starts is minuscule very early on, to the point that I almost for ...more
Steven Montano
3.5 out of 5 stars (rounded up).

An excellent epic fantasy adventure brimming with a unique and original magic system but bogged down by somewhat stereotypical characters.

J.V. Jones creates a place where magic is yielded through art, and brushstrokes can turn men into monsters and change the course of a person's history, where intelligent artifacts drift between worlds and shift the fates of others and where a young woman (Tessa) is sucked away from Earth and thrust into the middle of a deadly s
April
Okely dokely... skipped the I's as there was only one... and it was the second in a set... I did try to get started, but character building had already been done and I felt left out muchly... sooo... Not sure where I picked up this one, but must have been at a book sale or charity shop... don't even remember choosing it, which is odd, so I'm guessing one of the book sales... heh... I was hooked lined and sinkered as soon as I got to the acknowledgements... "On matters of illuminated manuscripts. ...more
Lets take a look at my check list...

A sexy man, imagined tanned, muscled with a sexy voice. CHECK.
A damsel that's constantly in distress but somehow is completely bad-ass despite the fact she hadn't seen a mirror in like 3 months, or shaved, still looks attractive. CHECK
A villain who is psychopathic manic who smacks pretty much everyone, but actually never meets any of the main characters, just chills the whole time in the war camp ground or in his castle. CHECK.
The villains wife, who just gets
Arianna
An extraordinary book! A really exciting story, with multi-faceted characters, set in a world where magic is subtle.A path for the three main characters that for many years haven't been able to put their lives together, running away from their problems and demons. Finally, the time for self-discovery has finally come for them.The book starts a bit slow, but once you are into the events it is hard to put the book aside and you want to discover more of what happens to Tessa, Ravis and Camron.An hi ...more
mara pina
Tessa is drawn into another world when she puts on a ring (a barbed ring). To her relief, she finds that her tinnitus doesn't seem to affect her in this new world but that's about the only relief she finds: the medieval world she's in is now on the brink of a war, a war in which monsters are utilized as much as men. Scribes play a unique role in this world and I really enjoyed what seemed to be well-researched details of how they work and how those methods allow them to work outside their manusc ...more
Terry
I recall that this was a good, solid, enjoyable fantasy. Not memorable enough, however, to write a review 14 years after reading it.
Scott
Kind of torn with this book - the first 75% of the book is soooooo slow, nothing happening, no sense of urgency, no great quest, no sense of anything epic (this is epic fantasy after all), very little description of how magic is happening or if it even is happening - the last 25% was amazing, everything came together, the characters finally started to fill out and although there still was nothing epic about the book there was at last a little sense or urgency and purpose.

First 75% of the book is
Katheryn Bailey
Just an excellent excellent book...
Jessa
Very well written, captivating story line.
Rosa Arcade
Apr 10, 2015 Rosa Arcade rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves fantasy and learning about nifty historical techniques
Shelves: favorites
Brilliantly done. The characters are written well enough to be real; I loved, hated, laughed, cried, feared and connected with them. This is one of the few books that really sucked me into its reality. I enjoy re-reading this book again and again.

I admire the research J.V. Jones did to bring the world and its people to life. I appreciate that through the main character's learning, the reader also learns about the art and techniques of manuscript illumination.
Jennifer Lim
This was story was mighty fine. Reminded me a lot of Tigana, but it wasn't because of the story. The aura, I guess?

One thing, though. I am a bit disappointed that there are no sexytimes going on in this. Throughout the story, the protagonists only share a kiss. I mean, why? Whhyyy?

Kristi Thompson
I've seen Jones described as "aggressively mediocre" but I really liked this. The characters were just complex enough to be engaging. As was the plot.

I had a bit of a problem with C. marrying Angeline. What's-his-name's desctiption of her as his "mindless child-wife" was a bit too accurate. I mean, she amused herself by counting her dog's toes! And Tessa and Ravis's romance developed a bit too quickly.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Nov 27, 2009 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as decided-not-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: SciFi and Fantasy Book Club (Goodreads group) (December 2009 nom
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
The multi-page description of the main character's tinnitus was pretty well done. And I'm sure its relevance to the story would have been explicated, eventually. But ... it just wasn't holding my attention. (Also, "anything that washes up on the shores of the bay is legally his"? Bleh. Wallbanger moment. All right, you got me, I flipped ahead to the end.)
N
the writing is amazing and the story line is super interesting...must have read and re-read this book at least two dozen times! super interesting plot and character development! if you're looking for a fantasy romance set in another world, I definitely recommend this one!
Cynthia
I grabbed this up when I read that there was a novel featuring a character with tinnitus. Had to read that! And it's sci fi, which I sometimes enjoy if it's just right... I really liked this one though the tinnitus angle was not what I "expected"?
Maggie
The story was decent, but i got really bored with the details of how the drawing process goes, how paints and colors are mixed. It really just seemed like filler that wasn't necessary to the story. I skimmed over most of those pages.
Lauren Auty
This book was a genuine pleasure to read. It's not very often I go for a stand alone novel but in this case I was very pleased it did. Fast flowing plot and engaging characters combine with an interesting twist on the fantasy genre.
  • Broken Blade (Rune Blade, #3)
  • Sorcery Rising (Fool's Gold, #1)
  • Road to Underfall (Loremasters of Elundium, #1)
  • The Blackgod (Children of the Changeling, #2)
  • Thief With No Shadow
  • The One Kingdom (The Swans' War, #1)
  • Wind from a Foreign Sky (Tielmaran Chronicles, #1)
  • Villains by Necessity
  • Reign of Shadows (The Ruby Throne Trilogy, #1)
  • Diplomacy of Wolves (The Secret Texts, #1)
  • Daughter of Exile
  • Beyond the Pale (The Last Rune, #1)
  • The Little Country
  • The Battle of Evernight (The Bitterbynde, #3)
  • Taming the Forest King
  • The Woods Out Back (Spearwielder's Tale, #1)
  • The Thief's Gamble (The Tales of Einarinn #1)
  • Grand Conspiracy (Wars of Light & Shadow #5; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #2)
Julie Victoria Jones was born in Liverpool, England. She has been writing for seven years, and is currently working on her sixth novel, which will be titled A Fortress of Grey Ice. She lives in San Diego, California.

All three books in The Book Of Words Trilogy are #1 national bestsellers, and have been bought for publication in England, Poland, Russia, Germany, France and Holland. Her fifth book,
More about J.V. Jones...
A Cavern of Black Ice (Sword of Shadows, #1) The Baker's Boy (Book of Words, #1) A Fortress of Grey Ice (Sword of Shadows, #2) Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3) A Man Betrayed (Book of Words, #2)