Start by marking “Ship of the Damned” as Want to Read:
Ship of the Damned

Ship of the Damned

On October 28, 1943, a U.S. Navy ship was successfully teleported with disastrous effects on its crew. Crewmen died, developed rare or yet unidentified diseases, and most horrifying of all, some became fused to the metal, their arms and legs protruding from the bulkhead.

A team of psychologists has gathered at a small university to study and analyze the same reoccurring dre
Published April 1st 2010 by Forge Books (first published August 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Ship of the Damned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ship of the Damned

Chris Marsh
Jul 28, 2011 Chris Marsh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like its prequel, "Fragments," I don't understand how "Ship of The Damned" didn't become a best seller, let alone go out of production less than a decade from its original publication date. It's filled with action from start to finish. It defies genre: is it sci-fi, adventure, or horror? Either way, the plot is easy to follow despite the complicated scientific and psychological vocabulary it contains.
Mark Muckerman
Aug 08, 2013 Mark Muckerman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The legend of the Philadelphia Experiment has been run through the mill so many times one would expect another story to have as much flavor as last month's Juicy Fruit scraped off the bottom of a chair.

However, in Ship of the Damned, James David takes a fresh approach to an old story, and one that really has even less substantive urban legend details than Roswell.

Giving nothing away, I found it to be a fine read: a strong story with a refreshing plot - farfetched, but still with enough thread o
Trekscribbler
Being a bit of a closet afficianado (sp?) on the Philadelpha Experiment, I picked up SHIP OF THE DAMNED with high hopes ... and perhaps that was my undoing. Had I left my expectations at the door, I might've enjoyed the read a bit more than the 2-star rating, but, unfortunately, the author composes very short, almost terse chapters that do little to stimulate the imagination; rather, he just pushes the plot along. As his prose and storytelling style has been placed on par with Tom Clancy by some ...more
Anna
Dec 13, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m kind of embarrassed to admit I liked a book called "Ship of the Damned," but I did! So there! It revolves around the modern-day consequences of the Philadelphia Experiment which I’ve always found fascinating if it’s true. The characters and the pacing take a while to set up and then it becomes a simple good vs. evil story. But it’s exciting and has some really graphic and imaginatively disturbing images. I also liked the pseudoscience that was woven through. And one of the characters really ...more
Amanda
Aug 26, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second following of the characters from 'Fragments' and I think I actually liked this one more. But that could only be because I greatly enjoy ghostly stories on a ship. It's was just as intriguing as the first book, and I like that he continued with the two characters. If you liked 'Fragments' read this one!
David Baltzer
Sep 26, 2014 David Baltzer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely LOUSY! It's one of those that you finish and end up kicking yourself for wasting your time. 'Thin Air' by Simpson and Burger is not 'great' but it's a lot better than this mess.
Amber
Jun 16, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far I think this book is pretty good. David's background in psychology gives a legitimate voice to this story.
Jan 05, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. Say what you will about the legend and conspiracy, it was a fun adventure read.
Stephanie Louise
Fantastically put together with just the right mix of intrigue, suspense and horror. I found I did not want to put this book down until I finished it while not wanting it to end.
Keith A.
Keith A. rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2011
Joe Noble
Joe Noble rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2015
Nick
Nick rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2012
BarbaraH
Jan 19, 2016 BarbaraH rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Si/Fi Thriller-GREAT!!!!
Elice Mcneely
Elice Mcneely rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2011
Shari-amor
Shari-amor rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Joseph Sullivan
Joseph Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Dana
Dana rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Shawn
Shawn rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was ok
Jul 13, 2012
Nick
Nick rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2008
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2007
Gavin
Gavin rated it it was ok
Jul 22, 2014
Chris rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2011
Bookfan92
Bookfan92 rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2011
Dayna
Dayna rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2012
Brittany
Brittany rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
Michael Fontenot
Michael Fontenot rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2015
Chris rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2008
Cochinilla
Cochinilla rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2009
LISA Avenevoli
LISA Avenevoli rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
is this suitable 1 3 Aug 26, 2012 01:22AM
James F. David has a Ph.D. from Ohio State University and is currently a professor of Psychology as George Fox University in Newberg, Oregon. He is the author of the thrillers Footprints of Thunder, Ship of the Damned and Before the Cradle Falls. He lives with his wife and three daughters in Tigard, Oregon.
More about James F. David...