Almost A Spinster

Almost A Spinster

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  25 reviews
An omnibus of Jenna Petersen's wildly popular "You Tell Me the Story" online interactive novellas.

In "Her Every Desire" Lady Jane asks her old friend Wesley to do a favor for her, seduce the fiance of the man she believes she loves. Instead he proposes that they pretend to be engaged to make the other man jealous and please Wesley's "dying" grandmother. But what starts as...more
ebook
Published May 22nd 2011 by Jenna Petersen

To ask other readers questions about Almost A Spinster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost A Spinster

Anna
Cute collection of novellas involving characters whose lives were intertwined. In the first story I particularly enjoyed Jane's explanation to Wesley about how, why, and when she had fallen love with him. In the second story, A Scandal to Keep, Felicity (a friend of Jane's from the first story) was a "fallen" woman who was pursued by the brother of her seducer. Gabriel was attempting to restore the honor of his family. I thought she resisted him a bit too long and I got impatient with her. Howev...more
Evie
One story, three couples, and true love...

Almost A Spinster is a compilation of three couples whose fate is set at the start of the very first story.

Her Every Desire is the story of Jane Davenport who truly believes she's absolutely and desperately in love with a poor excuse of a man, David. For the last couple of years, he's encouraged her and let her believe he will one day propose. Well that is all great and good until one night, he announces his engagement to Maddie.

Wesley Hughes is David's...more
Lexie
As a fan of historical romance, especially set during the Regency period, this novella collection appealed to me. How I felt about the stories, which were crafted as sort of 'interactive' stories wherein the readers of Jenna's blog could choose which way the story went at the end of each chapter, varies a great deal. I don't know what the other choices could have been, or the direction the author could have gone otherwise unfortuantely.

"Her Every Desire" - Kind of sucks to be Jane, though there...more
Heather Wiese
This is a collection of 3 short stories all revolving around 3 ladies who are connected to each other. The stories are really sweet and kinda just make you go "awwww."

In "Her Every Desire" Lady Jane asks her best friend Wesley to help her out by seducing the lady who has become engaged to the man (David) who has been courting her for the last 2 years. Wesley refuses, but counteroffers by telling her that being courted by him will make other men notice her and make David jealous. Wesley tells her...more
Dee
I wasn't sure i was going to write a review of this until someone just left me a comment asking what I thought and it gave me a chance to sit down and thing. I liked the stories to an extent don't get me wrong. But I had a hard time with the believability of them - yeah, you laugh, because i do read a lot of romance, but these ones just seemed to be missing something. I never really got the feeling that each couple fell in love with the other - I think if the author had broken them up into 3 lon...more
Namika
Fast reading. The stories were cute, maybe a bit too short. I would have love to see a longer story for Felicity and Gabriel. She could have put some beautiful pranks to make him go away.(Better than disguise herself) Just thinking about it make me laugh.
Kitt
This is a collection of three short stories from Jenna Petersen's early writings. Mostly they're ok, but would have been better with different timing. The first two stories all happen with in days, but the characters act as if had been weeks, or even months. Jane and Wesley's story would have been truly fabulous all flushed out in a full length novel. I would have loved to see so much more of them!

ETA: These stories were, at one point in Ms. Petersen's career, a "You tell me the story: interacti...more
Beate
One book, three novellas. And not all of them so good.

I liked the first one. It was snappy and spunky and had good characters. Making it a pretty good read. The second story wasn't as good as the first one. Still alright, but left me with a meh-kinda feeling. The final story was boring. The characters were bland and it was hard to wrap my mind around the plot.

I ended up with a 3/5 review more because I'm feeling generous today and liked the first story, than because of the other two stories.
Kristel
All 3 short novellas are a bit shallow honestly. Seems like there's really no explanation on why they fell in love with each other aside from the fact that they both got together. And I hate the fact that all of a sudden they realize that all the while they've been in love with the heroine ever since years back. Seems a bit unrealistic to me.
Kate
This was cute but I think that there wasn't enough pages dedicated to each story. As a result I never felt like I got into any of the stories. The first story was cute and the story was more developed than the last two. I particularly thought that the middle story was completely unrealistic. I did not feel that their relationship was plausible.
Steamywindows♥♫
This is 3 short stories, and each has a related theme of the heroine is "almost a spinster". I enjoyed the stories, but found myself wishing for a little bit more particularly the middle story where the "falling in love" was almost non-existent. Having said that, I really like this author's style.
Jody
Three really sweet short stories (all related) that the author apparently let people vote on the outcomes. I really enjoyed reading these. Ebook did not have a proper contents page - no chapter markers or story markers for that matter!
Especially like the opening " I want you to seduce ...."
Julia
Enjoyable Regency romance stories. The introduction says that the direction of the stories was based on comments/votes on the author's website where she posted them as serials, but I couldn't find that. (I was curious enough to want to follow-up and see what the other potential plotlines were.)
Sylvain
Three short stories where you follow three women along their respective love stories.

I liked the book. The stories are fresh and simple and I really can't believe they come from a "decide what will follow" contest type thing.

Excellent read.
Brittany
I would rate 3 1/2 out of 5. The first story is spectacular, and I enjoyed the last. The middle seemed rushed and unrealistic. I thought the writing was spectacular in it's descriptions and plot as well as pace. Worth the read!
Alexis
I also would've loved to see Jane and Wesley as well as Madeline and Nathan as a full length story. I love Jenna Petersen's writing, so it makes me sad when a story is too short. But great short stories!
Sylvia

I believe this was another free list book. It was pretty much boiler plate historical romance. Not bad for a bit of escape, but nothing very deep. I enjoyed it though.
Courtney Bocci
Laugh out loud funny, sometimes. Typical regency romance throughout, minus (most of) the smut as they're novellas rather than full lenght.
Sarah Fulghum
Good, quick read. Not a lot of character development but that is to be expected in short stories.
Kerri
I quite liked these 3 books. They were an easy read with likeable characters.
Georgia Mourikis
Love all of her work would recommend any of her books in a heartbeat
Rosepetal78
Didn't realize it was three short books in one. Overall, ok
Heidi
First story of the 3 in this book was the best.
Ebony Morton
I loved it! !! a great read! !!
Sue Ashley
Sue Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
2muchforme
2muchforme marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Devil Duke Takes a Bride (The House of Renwick, #4)
  • The Unexpected Bride
  • One Unashamed Night (Wellinghams, #2)
  • His Majesty, the Prince of Toads
  • To Catch A Spinster (The Reluctant Bride Collection, #1)
  • I Love the Earl (The Truth About the Duke #0.5)
  • Once Upon a Ballroom
  • What the Heart Sees
  • Twice a Rake
  • Intentions of the Earl (Scandalous Sisters #1)
  • A Scandalous Charade (Scandalous, #2)
  • The Bedeviled Bride
  • A Matter of Choice
  • Beguiled
  • Letter of Love
  • Seducing Miss Dunaway
  • The Winter Wife: A Christmas Novella
  • Lord Ruin
Jenna Petersen has been writing full-time since her awesome husband said, "You're only happy when you're writing, why don't you do that?" She now writes exclusively as Jess Michaels. Find her on Goodreads at http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
More about Jenna Petersen...
Her Notorious Viscount (Stoneworth, #1) Lessons From a Courtesan What the Duke Desires (Billingham Bastards #1) Scandalous The Unclaimed Duchess (Billingham Bastards, #2)