Start by marking “Almost A Spinster” as Want to Read:
Almost A Spinster

Almost A Spinster

An omnibus of Jenna Petersen's wildly popular "You Tell Me the Story" online interactive novellas.

In "Her Every Desire" Lady Jane asks her old friend Wesley to do a favor for her, seduce the fiance of the man she believes she loves. Instead he proposes that they pretend to be engaged to make the other man jealous and please Wesley's "dying" grandmother. But what starts as
Nook
Published May 22nd 2011 by Jenna Petersen

To ask other readers questions about Almost A Spinster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost A Spinster

A Lot like Love by Julie JamesThe Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonEleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLeanCall Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsJust Like Heaven by Julia Quinn
2011 Romance
393 books — 825 voters
Snow by Tracy LynnA Secret Affair by Mary BaloghTo Whisper Her Name by Tamera AlexanderA Winter Scandal by Candace CampThe Confessions of a Duchess by Nicola Cornick
Raving in Red
161 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Anna
Aug 01, 2011 Anna rated it liked it
Cute collection of novellas involving characters whose lives were intertwined. In the first story I particularly enjoyed Jane's explanation to Wesley about how, why, and when she had fallen love with him. In the second story, A Scandal to Keep, Felicity (a friend of Jane's from the first story) was a "fallen" woman who was pursued by the brother of her seducer. Gabriel was attempting to restore the honor of his family. I thought she resisted him a bit too long and I got impatient with her. Howev ...more
Lexie
Sep 22, 2011 Lexie rated it liked it
As a fan of historical romance, especially set during the Regency period, this novella collection appealed to me. How I felt about the stories, which were crafted as sort of 'interactive' stories wherein the readers of Jenna's blog could choose which way the story went at the end of each chapter, varies a great deal. I don't know what the other choices could have been, or the direction the author could have gone otherwise unfortuantely.

"Her Every Desire" - Kind of sucks to be Jane, though there
Heather Wiese
Jul 26, 2011 Heather Wiese rated it really liked it
This is a collection of 3 short stories all revolving around 3 ladies who are connected to each other. The stories are really sweet and kinda just make you go "awwww."

In "Her Every Desire" Lady Jane asks her best friend Wesley to help her out by seducing the lady who has become engaged to the man (David) who has been courting her for the last 2 years. Wesley refuses, but counteroffers by telling her that being courted by him will make other men notice her and make David jealous. Wesley tell
Evie
Aug 23, 2015 Evie rated it really liked it
One story, three couples, and true love...

Almost A Spinster is a compilation of three couples whose fate is set at the start of the very first story.

Her Every Desire is the story of Jane Davenport who truly believes she's absolutely and desperately in love with a poor excuse of a man, David. For the last couple of years, he's encouraged her and let her believe he will one day propose. Well that is all great and good until one night, he announces his engagement to Maddie.

Wesley Hughes is David's
Dee
Aug 13, 2011 Dee rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, read-2011
I wasn't sure i was going to write a review of this until someone just left me a comment asking what I thought and it gave me a chance to sit down and thing. I liked the stories to an extent don't get me wrong. But I had a hard time with the believability of them - yeah, you laugh, because i do read a lot of romance, but these ones just seemed to be missing something. I never really got the feeling that each couple fell in love with the other - I think if the author had broken them up into 3 lon ...more
Kitt
Jul 05, 2012 Kitt rated it liked it
This is a collection of three short stories from Jenna Petersen's early writings. Mostly they're ok, but would have been better with different timing. The first two stories all happen with in days, but the characters act as if had been weeks, or even months. Jane and Wesley's story would have been truly fabulous all flushed out in a full length novel. I would have loved to see so much more of them!

ETA: These stories were, at one point in Ms. Petersen's career, a "You tell me the story: interacti
Beate
Jun 12, 2011 Beate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
One book, three novellas. And not all of them so good.

I liked the first one. It was snappy and spunky and had good characters. Making it a pretty good read. The second story wasn't as good as the first one. Still alright, but left me with a meh-kinda feeling. The final story was boring. The characters were bland and it was hard to wrap my mind around the plot.

I ended up with a 3/5 review more because I'm feeling generous today and liked the first story, than because of the other two stories.
Kristel
Jun 26, 2011 Kristel rated it did not like it
All 3 short novellas are a bit shallow honestly. Seems like there's really no explanation on why they fell in love with each other aside from the fact that they both got together. And I hate the fact that all of a sudden they realize that all the while they've been in love with the heroine ever since years back. Seems a bit unrealistic to me.
Kate
Aug 26, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok
This was cute but I think that there wasn't enough pages dedicated to each story. As a result I never felt like I got into any of the stories. The first story was cute and the story was more developed than the last two. I particularly thought that the middle story was completely unrealistic. I did not feel that their relationship was plausible.
Steamywindows♥♫
Jul 30, 2011 Steamywindows♥♫ rated it really liked it
This is 3 short stories, and each has a related theme of the heroine is "almost a spinster". I enjoyed the stories, but found myself wishing for a little bit more particularly the middle story where the "falling in love" was almost non-existent. Having said that, I really like this author's style.
Alexis
Dec 25, 2012 Alexis rated it liked it
I also would've loved to see Jane and Wesley as well as Madeline and Nathan as a full length story. I love Jenna Petersen's writing, so it makes me sad when a story is too short. But great short stories!
Sylvain
Jun 13, 2011 Sylvain rated it really liked it
Three short stories where you follow three women along their respective love stories.

I liked the book. The stories are fresh and simple and I really can't believe they come from a "decide what will follow" contest type thing.

Excellent read.
Namika
Apr 22, 2014 Namika rated it really liked it
Fast reading. The stories were cute, maybe a bit too short. I would have love to see a longer story for Felicity and Gabriel. She could have put some beautiful pranks to make him go away.(Better than disguise herself) Just thinking about it make me laugh.
Brittany
Jun 14, 2011 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-challenge
I would rate 3 1/2 out of 5. The first story is spectacular, and I enjoyed the last. The middle seemed rushed and unrealistic. I thought the writing was spectacular in it's descriptions and plot as well as pace. Worth the read!
Julia
May 27, 2012 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, smashwords
Enjoyable Regency romance stories. The introduction says that the direction of the stories was based on comments/votes on the author's website where she posted them as serials, but I couldn't find that. (I was curious enough to want to follow-up and see what the other potential plotlines were.)
Jody
Mar 16, 2012 Jody rated it really liked it
Three really sweet short stories (all related) that the author apparently let people vote on the outcomes. I really enjoyed reading these. Ebook did not have a proper contents page - no chapter markers or story markers for that matter!
Especially like the opening " I want you to seduce ...."
Sylvia
May 20, 2012 Sylvia rated it really liked it

I believe this was another free list book. It was pretty much boiler plate historical romance. Not bad for a bit of escape, but nothing very deep. I enjoyed it though.
Georgia Mourikis
Love all of her work would recommend any of her books in a heartbeat
Barbara
Jan 20, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing
It was a really good book. all the stories were linked and all the characters have depth... I liked it
Kerri
Sep 26, 2011 Kerri rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-keeper
I quite liked these 3 books. They were an easy read with likeable characters.
Melanie (Moviemavengal)
Oct 03, 2011 Melanie (Moviemavengal) rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle

Just okay.
Rosepetal78
Dec 10, 2011 Rosepetal78 rated it it was ok
Didn't realize it was three short books in one. Overall, ok
Elaine
Three entertaining short stories that link up. I do like all three, but my favourite is the last one "Scorned".
Lauren
Apr 26, 2015 Lauren marked it as to-read
OVERALL:

Her Every Desire

A Scandal to Keep

A Woman Scorned
Courtney Bocci
Jul 29, 2012 Courtney Bocci rated it liked it
Shelves: nook, 2012, owned, fiction
Laugh out loud funny, sometimes. Typical regency romance throughout, minus (most of) the smut as they're novellas rather than full lenght.
Jan 23, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Good, quick read. Not a lot of character development but that is to be expected in short stories.
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
May 22, 2014
Norman H.  Stutte
Norman H. Stutte rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
Angelina
Angelina rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2011
Katie Webster
Katie Webster rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 18, 2015 08:52AM
  • Lady Silence
  • Sin: An Erotic Collection of Novellas
  • His Majesty, the Prince of Toads
  • The Unexpected Bride
  • One Unashamed Night (Wellinghams, #2)
  • A Matter of Choice
  • What the Heart Sees
  • I Love the Earl (The Truth About the Duke, #0.5)
  • The Devil Duke Takes a Bride (The House of Renwick, #4)
  • My Lord Protector
  • On These Silken Sheets
  • Lord Ruin (The Sinclair Sisters, #1)
  • Seducing Miss Dunaway
  • Intentions of the Earl (Scandalous Sisters #1)
  • Her Christmas Earl
  • Five Golden Rings: A Christmas Collection
  • Love Is Always Write: Volume Nine
  • The Elusive Lord Everhart (The Rakes of Fallow Hall, #1)
Jenna Petersen now writes historical romance exclusively as Jess Michaels. Please check out her self-published and Samhain publishing books here:

Jenna no longer supports her HarperCollins/Avon books due to price gouging and refusal to return author rights.
More about Jenna Petersen...