Start by marking “The Unbearable Lightness Of Being In Aberystwyth” as Want to Read:
The Unbearable Lightness Of Being In Aberystwyth

The Unbearable Lightness Of Being In Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir #3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  555 ratings  ·  36 reviews

There is nothing unusual about the barrel-organ man who walks into private detective Louie Knight's office. Apart from the fact that he has lost his memory. And his monkey is a former astronaut. And he is carrying a suitcase that he is too terrified to open. And he wants a murder investigated. The only thing unusual about the murder is that it took place a hundred years ag

Published (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Unbearable Lightness Of Being In Aberystwyth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unbearable Lightness Of Being In Aberystwyth

^
Upon reaching the final page of this book; reeling from a lack of panache, precision and brevity I involuntarily blinked in relief at the blessed release from this “acorned swill of the world”. Contrived and convoluted description bearing none of the carefully constructed forethought, vision and elegance of the Welshman (D.M.T); “The Unbearable …” had worn my patience thinner than would have modelling strudel pastry starring on “The Great British Bake-Off”.

I do ‘get it’. I can see why a number
Leah
This book had it all - people getting hit over heads with shovels, kidnappings, a monkey called Cleopatra who can do sign language.... I love the tones of these books - very noir, kind of makes me want to become a PI.

Apart from the getting hit over the head with a shovel bit.
Dave Peticolas
A cut above the usual run of comedic Welsh crime noir.
Rob Kitchin
The Unbearable Lightness is a well crafted book and an enjoyable read. Pryce’s alternative universe – Aberystwyth in geography, but socially kicked left out of kilter and filtered back through a noir and a nationalist parody – is fully worked through and engaging. The book is well plotted and paced, and it is clear time has been spent making sure the atmosphere is suitably noir, the similes are inventive, and the text lyrical. The story itself is meanders along a complex path and the twists are ...more
Nini
Overall this was an enjoyable story however I did find it bit of a slog at times. I enjoyed the comic aspects and the noir style of story generally however I found some of the plots a bit of a struggle to follow. This however could have been my fault as I did not relise that this was part of a series of books. I think I would try the first book in the series in hopes that the characters backgrounds are filled in , I felt that I did not get the full enjoyment as I was unaware of the characters pa ...more
Spotsalots
I picked this up in Prague and finally got around to reading it. I gather that it's the third in a best-selling series, and while one can often jump into a series midway, this time I was really a bit baffled. Before long I did grasp that these are bizarre and comic noir novels set in a parallel-world version of Wales, but all the same I was often unsure whether I ought to know something from an earlier book in the series, didn't recognize a product or practice from British culture, or what. It's ...more
Jacob Chinchen
They're still recurring then. Bloody hell. I know it's a small town and everything but there must be more than three or four stock villains in the entire play. And Brainbocs as well, he's starting to get on my nerves a bit too. But still, it's a good little read although - again - not as hilarious as people from the Big Issue, the Metro or the Telegraph would have me believe.
John Carter McKnight
Pryce just keeps getting better and better. Definitely must be read in series order, and Pryce expands on characters and themes from his earlier novels.

In the previous book, Pryce deftly spun humor and horror; here he ups the stakes. The social commentary, on class and gender relations, and on the treatment of veterans, is stepped up, and some of the story developments are truly gut-wrenchingly horrific.

And yet, the deadpan absurdist humor remains, from small observations and turns of phrase t
Kate Millin
Another dark tale of life in a very different Aberystwyth from the one I lived in as a student. Myfanwy is now catatonic and disappears leading to a long and involved mystery.
Richard Staines
They keep getting better as the characters develop and their relationships too. The sign language bit with the monkey is especially good...great idea!
Isabel (kittiwake)
Let the lamp affix its beam
The only emperor is the emperor of ice cream.

Wallace Stevens

The third installment in the series about hapless detective Louie Knight. When his dying girlfriend Myfanwy is kidnapped on a day out from the nursing home, Louie is distraught and he and his friend Inspector Llunos of the Aberystwyth police turn the town upside down in their efforts to find her.

Book 4 in the series, "Don't Cry for me Aberystwyth", has just come out in hardback. Can I resist temptation and wai
Greg
It's a good deal of fun with a dollop of cleverness. Unlike conventional mysteries, satires can grate after a while. Still, Pryce is able to wind the cords of the story into a stronger rope and lash his fictional Aberystwyth into a mostly believable construct. I admire Pryce's writing more for Louie's insights away from the main thrust of the cases, where the exposition occasionally ventures towards the lyrical. Still an enjoyable read, but I'll venture on to something else before tackling the n ...more
Ann
Bizar en onverwacht.
Steve M
Dark, poetic and delightfully absurd.
Phillip
The relationship between 1940's classic detective setting and modern day Aberystwyth sometimes sits a little uneasy, but overall this has just the right mix of dark film noir moments and light comedy moments.

A good book for those who enjoy classic murder mysteries and detective fiction, it takes a wry look at the genre without laughing at it. A good addition to the set.
Bron
I love all the Aberystwyth books but is it my imagination, or is there more "noir" and existentialist angst and less humour than in the earlier ones? This one seemed genuinely sad all the way through, as though the author has given in to the feeling of futility.
Esther
Totally hooked on Malcolm Pryce. Really enjoyed this one and still not bored of Louie Knight. Pryce combines the absolute ridiculous with a great deal of wit. Now to move onto the next ones in the series...bring it on from the wonderful Aberystwyth!
Chagword
We look forward to hearing Malcolm Pryce speak about his Louie North novels in Chagford, Devon in March 2013 at the ChagWord literary festival.

See http://www.chagword.com and follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
Graham Tapper
Once again, Pryce at his very best. The Myfanwy saga continues, with our hero trying to save her. The joke fly thick and fast. Will the villain get his just desserts? Will Louis save Myfanwy? Not to be missed.
Virginprune
getting comfortable with his genre, and having fun with it - suspense dashed at one point by the protagonist falling asleep at the point of a denouement - it's still a lot of fun, with a jaded Welsh seaside twist.
Peter
I loved this and I HATE crime fiction. The idea of a noir detective novel set in a magical realist town populated by a Druidic mafia is irrestistable...and beautifully realised.
Terry Watson
The first book in the series is the best and I loved the film noir setting in Aberystwyth. A little overly descriptive at times but all in all a good read.
Stephen
felt this one didn't come to the standards of the previous 2 books in the series and just plodded along still enjoyed it but not as much as the other 2 though
Craigb
The third book in the Pryce’s ”comic fantasy/Noir” series. In my opinion, not as good as the first 2, never-the-less a good addition to the set.
Shockwave
The Aberystwyth books are my fav detective storys, lots of twists and turns in the plot. Hopefully the next one will have a different villian
Louise
Continuing the Pulp noir tales of a P.I. in a dark and seedy Aberystwyth. I just really get into this series, its so quirky.
Bob
This book provided a brief vacation during a difficult time in my life. A good, gentle relaxing read.
Stoneme Mayo
Another (part 3) in the series of Malcolm Pryces' world of noir set in darkest Aberystwyth.
Marilyn
A bit Jasper Ffordish -- black comedy/ comic fantasy. Can't wait for the next one
Mela
Quirky and comic-like.

Makes me want to go out and read the whole series at one go!
  • Murder on the Brighton Express (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #5)
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • The Sprouts of Wrath
  • Oscar Wilde and the Dead Man's Smile (The Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • Rumpole's Last Case
  • Plague
  • The Devil in Amber (Lucifer Box, #2)
  • Dealing in Futures
  • The Slaughter Man (Max Wolfe, #2)
  • Anarchy and Old Dogs (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #4)
  • Quantum of Tweed: The Man with the Nissan Micra
  • The Dime Museum Murders
  • Greenshaw's Folly: A Short Story (Miss Marple)
  • Snowbrother
  • Dead as a Dodo (Homer Kelly, #12)
  • The Act of Roger Murgatroyd: An Entertainment
  • The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sorry for the lobsters
Malcolm Pryce is a British author, mostly known for his noir detective novels.

Born in Shrewsbury, England, Pryce moved at the age of nine to Aberystwyth, where he later attended Penglais Comprehensive School before leaving to do some travelling. After working in a variety of jobs. including BMW assembly-line worker in Germany, hotel washer-up, "the world's worst aluminium salesman", and deck hand
More about Malcolm Pryce...

Aberystwyth Noir (6 books)
  • Aberystwyth Mon Amour (Aberystwyth Noir, #1)
  • Last Tango in Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #2)
  • Don't Cry For Me Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #4)
  • From Aberystwyth with Love (Aberystwyth Noir, #5)
  • The Day Aberystwyth Stood Still (Aberystwyth Noir, #6)
Aberystwyth Mon Amour (Aberystwyth Noir, #1) Last Tango in Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #2) Don't Cry For Me Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #4) From Aberystwyth with Love (Aberystwyth Noir, #5) The Day Aberystwyth Stood Still (Aberystwyth Noir, #6)

“The train slowed down at the approach to shrewsbury station and glided between the eleventh-century abbey and the stadium of shrewsbury town football club. Two sacred arenas where men chanted and waited for a miracle that never came.” 2 likes