Start by marking “The Elemental Journal: Composing Artful Expressions from Items Cast Aside” as Want to Read:
The Elemental Journal: Composing Artful Expressions from Items Cast Aside

The Elemental Journal: Composing Artful Expressions from Items Cast Aside

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  18 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Create Expressive Books from Salvaged TreasuresRusty doorknobs, cardboard containers and plastic packaging may seem like trash to some, but through the creative mind, they are transformed into beautiful expressions - equally parts artful book and assemblage. "The Elemental Journal" will show you how to craft a wide variety of journals to hold your secrets or express your i ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Northlight (first published January 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Elemental Journal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elemental Journal

Chris
Didn't make it very far in this one. While I'm intrigued by making journals (and have made a couple of duct tape journals), I'm not interested in making a journal covered in bark.
Kiki
Jun 08, 2011 Kiki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first ever review of a craft book, but not by far the first craft book I have ever owned or read. Feeling a bit out of my element not having plot or characters or setting to discuss, I am just going for a quite honest opinion. First, the book is absolutely beautiful. I did enjoy looking through it. Second, the idea of it was great, using objects from nature or recycled materials to make something new. Third, the directions were easy to follow.

But, if I had looked at this book in a Bor
Christine Antonios
Composing artful expressions from items cast aside.

Ms. Kushnir's book is sweet, sentimental, and creative. It taps into a very simple and tasteful form of art. But more important than all that, Journal is a "how-to" book that is a solid guide for those of us who are much less creative. The crafts that had a step-by-step explanation coupled with the photos are so great, that I found myself wishing that all the craft ideas had such drawn out explanations.

Ultimately, I had the most fun trying to pi
W
Jun 22, 2012 W rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read
As I read through this book, I was impressed with the amount of time and effort that went into creating each of these unique, hand-crafted journals. They were very inspirational, and yet, as I read through the directions of how to duplicate one of these, I could tell they were incredibly labor-intensive and many of them used materials that would not be quite so easily "found," or certainly not found in my own garbage can or recycle bin -- from different metal scraps to birdcages to antique knobs ...more
Haley Mathiot
Jul 15, 2011 Haley Mathiot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Elemental Journal was really interesting. The journals were pretty advanced, and even though the instructions were clear they would have required a lot of materials. I would use this book for inspiration more than step by step instructions. This book would be great for any crafter who saves everything and sees potential in random pieces of "trash" like tree bark, scraps of fabric, wire, old plastic game pieces, door knobs, etc.

Mind you I loved it: it was wild and cool and exciting: it's just
Robyn
Feb 24, 2014 Robyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: curriculum-2014
A bit too formula-driven for my taste, but author showed some good techniques for alternative book-making in the process.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Jennifer Vaughan
Jennifer Vaughan marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Nimue Sionnach
Nimue Sionnach marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
Candi
Candi marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Bethany Smith
Bethany Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Laura added it
Apr 15, 2014
Claudia Loureiro
Claudia Loureiro rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2013
Jodee
Jodee rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2013
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Dana
Dana added it
Jan 18, 2013
Alicia Rodriguez
Alicia Rodriguez rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2012
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2012
Dianna
Dianna rated it really liked it
May 10, 2012
Carly
Carly marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2012
Kenyata Ophelia
Kenyata Ophelia marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2011
GetCrafty Gurl
GetCrafty Gurl rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2011