Start by marking “Prey” as Want to Read:

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  5,789 ratings  ·  478 reviews
Following the death of her father, Angie Powell takes over his business as a wilderness guide in the Montana mountains. Business is booming until disaster strikes when enigmatic ex-soldier Dare Callahan returns from service and sets up as a rival guide.

Dare's hardy exterior and battle scars are an attractive combination for those looking to hire a tough type to help them t
Published September 6th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prey

Duchess Nicole
I had been staying away from Howard's most recent releases due to the somewhat lackluster ratings but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I loved this book! Admittedly, it didn't quite reach the five star mark for me but that is really an oddly elusive thing lately, and books that get five stars from me get it for no reason that I can really explain...they just have a little extra wow.

One of my favorite Howard books is Up Close and Dangerous...there's something I love about a couple
*Sigh* How horribly disappointing. This book was flat-out boring. There were actually chapters upon chapters written from a bear's point of view! A bear! Remember Up Close and Personal, where we learned everything we'd ever need to know if we crashed our plane into a mountain? Yeah, well here we learn about bears and camping. I'll give LH props for her research. The woman is an expert on so many things! However, in the end, I had to struggle to finish this. At one point I said to my husband, "Ju ...more
I have read every book and novella Linda Howard's written, all 53 of them. I started reading her as a romance author, and stuck with her into the romantic suspense territory, even though I prefer books more centered on human relationships and emotions than action and mysteries. Even with bad guys present, she could describe a bit about his background to make him if not someone I'd like to be around, at least someone I can relate to on some level. But a couple of chapters into this book, the view ...more
I'm just continually bummed by Linda Howard these days. In the past she's been so brilliant, but things are hit and miss these days (as I have said many times recently). This book had a FABULOUS concept and the execution wasn't bad. She worked it out so that the scenario seemed plausible, and that was good. She also had characters that were just unique enough to make the story work. (Outdoorsy girl, abandoned by mother, raised by father, bad first wedding, not a quitter. Military man with shrapn ...more
Anne OK
Nothing like I expected from an author of Linda Howard's caliber. It was a total disappointment. Even the lead characters were less than interesting. The bear indeed had a POV -- which didn't much interest me, either. It hurts to review and rate this book so low because I've been a fan of LH's books for many years. She's had some of the best romantic suspense novels I've ever read. Her heroes are almost always exceptional. However, there's just nothing I can say about "Prey" except I just didn't ...more
Joan Reeves
Murder, Conflict, Sexual Fireworks

I was rather surprised by the overly harsh reviews I've read on Prey. I'll admit to being a diehard Linda Howard fan so I ignored the reviews and bought the book anyway. After all, as an author, I get bad reviews too, and I like to think that readers are discerning enough to wade through bad reviews if a book's blurb sounds like their kind of book.

I liked Prey. In fact, I stayed up way too late to finish it the other night. Nobody does heroes better than Linda H
Angie Powell has decided to throw in the towel. Her guide business isn't doing well since Dare Callahan opened his business. But she has one more trip on the books. This one is a bear hunt. She doesn't like bear but she needs it. Dare is asked by a friend to check on Angie so he goes on a fishing trip so he can be close by just in case. But Angie isn't suppose to make it back alive. Meanwhile, there is a man-eating bear out there and he's hungry.

If I were to compare this one to other Linda Howa
I'm not going to lie - the only reason I gave this book three stars was because I just can't bring myself to give Linda Howard a worse rating. She has been one of my favorite romantic suspense authors ever since I discovered the genre, and I stay pretty loyal to my authors. But this book was a huge disappointment all around.

The book focuses A LOT on how bad the weather is. Of course, that is the main reason why they are stuck together for so long thus making it possible to be with each other an
From Linda Howard's Facebook page:

PREY is about a female hunting guide who takes a party bear hunting -- except the bear is hunting THEM. Throw in a killer, as well as a fellow hunting guide who is also her nemesis, add a pinch of terror (I'm now officially terrified of bears, because I've learned too much about them), a scoosh of sexual tension, a cup of grouchy man, a pound of sex, blend well, bake at 350, and voila! -- a book emerges.

I enjoyed the suspense plot, the bear, the descriptions of the wilderness and the details of being a guide. I liked both main characters and thought Dare's character in particular was humorous. I even liked the romance, what there was of it!

And that's the problem in a nutshell. The story is good, but with more fleshing out and a some layering of the plot lines, it could have been great. It had all the bone structure for a great Linda Howard book. It just needed more meat.

Still, it was fun an
Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover and KA Addict ❤️
I had really, really high hope's for this book...after reading Veil I felt that LH was getting closer to her old writing standard....sadly I was wrong, this is the lowest rating I have EVER given to one of her books :(
Nov 24, 2014 Anna rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Anna by: npl, other howard books
Shelves: sweet-nothings
this is really a short story (at most a novella) which has been padded, stretched and filled with a lot of repetition to make a regular-length novel. There is a great line in the last chapter which sums it up nicely -- the arc of the story is told in about 20 words.

I was actually able to skim through large parts of the story without missing anything.
Good story, but I found it a little slow moving. It ended well, but overall not my favorite one by Ms. Howard. Parts just dragged for me.
Other than the odd pages we spent in the POV of the bear and 5 or so pages in the head of an NPC who immediately got eaten by said bear, I really enjoyed this book.

It was more an action survival book than anything else. The heroine had guts and then some. She had moral fiber to know when to sell out her property and business and she was super tough crawling down a mountain in a storm with a broken ankle to get away from a murderer and a maneating bear.

I enjoyed the interlude with her and the su
Rachel Amphlett

Prey is a fast, enjoyable read and Howard captures the atmospherics of the Montana mountain terrain in such a way that you're caught up in the suspense from the start.

There were some parts that reminded me of the film A Lonely Place to Die, and Howard's ability to convey the terror of a bear attack, and Angie's determination to reach safety after her clients' revelation of their past makes this a great read.

The romance between Angie and Dare is understated but works to make
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
Random thoughts of Linda Howard with a romance thrown in best describes this book. I will rate the chapters I liked best. Chapter two. When Angie and Dare first interact in the book. This chapter was very well written Angie wants nothing to do with Dare as she feels he is the reason her business is going bankrupt and she has to sell and move. She has never told Dare this so he doesn’t understand why she runs from him every time she sees him. He pins her in by her vehicle and the banter back and ...more
I can't see me ever giving up reading Linda Howard books. I've loved way too many to not give each new book a try. And though many readers seem disappointed with her books over the past few years, I've enjoyed them enough to keep going. Having said that, I was a bit disappointed with Prey. Just a bit mind you and I have no problems saying if you continue to be a Howard fan, I don't think this one will change that.

As usual, I loved Dare, the hero. There have been very few Howard heroes I haven't
Book Review
I would probably give this more like 3.5 than 3, but not quite to the level of a 4. I don't know if i've ever read a strict RomSus from Linda Howard, I'd read some of her traditional romances though. I was surprised how much I ended up enjoying this book. I could tell that she had def. done research into the way certain things happened in the book (view spoiler), but it wasn't so much that it over-powered the story/ caused a data-dump for the rea
Updating book review to add audio review. I waver between 3 and 4 stars. Abby Craden's narration is quite good for Angie, but her voice for the hero (Dare) is a bit too gravely, strained, and rough (she does this on purpose because he had a throat injury). As for how the audio story flows, the first 8 chapters are slow, with too much time devoted to Angie's thoughts, and few scenes with Dare. The action on the stormy ice-cold mountain with a man-eating bear and a ruthless killer begins at chapt ...more
Booklover, Indianapolis
(Oct) 2.5* It truly pains me to write a less than great review for Linda Howard - even as she's gone down hill the last 10 years or so she's still been readable - until now. This book was pretty bad - it was boring, it was not something I'd consider a romance - and a portion of the book took place from a killer bear's point of view. It was pretty awful, but it is LH and I just can't make my fingers type a 2* (or less) on a review for one of her books (well, I can for one of her earliest ones, bu ...more
Nikki ♥
3.5. Not one of Linda Howard's best books, but it was still and enjoyable read. This one lacked a little on the romance. Interesting that we got the POV from the bear.
CD {Boulder Blvd}
3.5 Stars

I ended up liking the book as long as I didn't focus on Angie's early behavior which was definitely unappealing (pre-wilderness trip/bear attack). Although it would be devastating to lose the family business, I wasn't too impressed with the way she whined about it or how she treated Dare (the H). I wished LH had written it differently.

Aside from a few character issues with Angie, I enjoyed the plot and LH's writing. I really liked the wilderness aspect as I love hiking in the mountains.
Boring and anticlimatic. Just kept rehashing facts. More of a love story than a mystery.
 photo LIASOM_zps9e498f89.png

Rating: 3*

Cover: Nay

Trope: Wilderness-suspense

Chemistry Rating: Low boil

One-Sentence Summary: Criminals, storms and bears - oh my!

Review: It was an unlucky coincidence that had me reading this during the week that there was worldwide outrage that Cecil the lion had been shot and I think it is fair to say that books set in the wild around people who guide hunters through the wilderness in order to kill things is not for me.

Personal views aside this book was just a bit meh. Not a lot happened on
The book was...readable. Nothing beyond that. I feel like I didn't know anyone. It began with promise, with Angie putting her business up for sale, and then running into the super hot and surly ex-Army dude named Dare for chrissakes, who happens to be taking all her customers, the same guy who has already asked her out twice, and literally growls when he talks because of a throat injury. I liked looking at things through her vantage point because she was a sure-footed, smart-mouthed, take no cra ...more
This book is not one you should read before going to bed! I had forgotten how Linda Howard is actually quite accomplished at writing suspense and weaving in romance.

Not everyone will like this book. It's rather predictable in some ways, with the heroin going off into the woods with known bad guys and a good guy being poised to rescue her. If you don't like romance, though, you probably won't like most of the books I admit to reading. :) I found the shifting points of view less than stellar, but
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Abby Crayden narrates - Narration 5*

Story 3 1/2*

Re- Listening as I edit to favorite parts....

Dare - "I'm a man, even pissing is a contest"

Abby Craden did a fabulous job narrating this book, she caught every nuance of humor, attitude, anger,fear, love etc. She had the entire "feel" of the book down and for me and that is one of the most important aspects of narration, that and tempo or pacing, which she also had aced. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to her bring out all the best in this story.

Book Him Danno
I love this author and I have to say that this is one of her better ones in my opinion, lots of suspense. I loved Cover of Night and Ice, this is similar to those two. Lots of outdoorsyness with the need to stay warm in each other’s arms, a great recipe for romance…boom.

Dare, what a name, is a great lead character with a rough exterior and even a rougher voice. Angie is a strong female lead who doesn’t need a man, yet one would not be such a bad thing, would it? I loved the struggle to find hel
Candace Salima
Mar 03, 2013 Candace Salima rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 18 and Up
Prey by Linda Howard caught my attention right away. Besides being one of my favorite authors, for the first time she’s given thought and personality to an animal, which happens to be a man-eating bear.
Throw in Linda Howard’s usual alpha male, strong woman character, and the fact they are both wilderness guides, albeit competitors, and you’ve got an interesting recipe stewing.

Oh, did I forget to mention the insane accountant who decides he needs to off his boss?

Angie Powell and Dare Callahan hav
"Rejected" Heroes? 15 70 Apr 23, 2012 04:19PM
Prey 1 25 Jan 19, 2012 01:04PM
  • On Thin Ice (Ice, #6)
  • Sleepwalker
  • The Ideal Man (Buchanan-Renard, #9)
  • Hush (Lodestone Trilogy, #1)
  • The Wanderer's Necklace
  • Breaking the Rules (Troubleshooters, #16)
  • No Control (Delta Force #2)
  • Innocent as Sin (St. Kilda Consulting, #3)
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • Deadly Sins (The Callahans, #2)

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance
More about Linda Howard...