Start by marking “Prey” as Want to Read:
Prey

Prey

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  6,923 Ratings  ·  561 Reviews
Following the death of her father, Angie Powell takes over his business as a wilderness guide in the Montana mountains. Business is booming until disaster strikes when enigmatic ex-soldier Dare Callahan returns from service and sets up as a rival guide.

Dare's hardy exterior and battle scars are an attractive combination for those looking to hire a tough type to help them t
Published September 6th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prey

Duchess Nicole
I had been staying away from Howard's most recent releases due to the somewhat lackluster ratings but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I loved this book! Admittedly, it didn't quite reach the five star mark for me but that is really an oddly elusive thing lately, and books that get five stars from me get it for no reason that I can really explain...they just have a little extra wow.

One of my favorite Howard books is Up Close and Dangerous...there's something I love about a couple
Norma
*Sigh* How horribly disappointing. This book was flat-out boring. There were actually chapters upon chapters written from a bear's point of view! A bear! Remember Up Close and Personal, where we learned everything we'd ever need to know if we crashed our plane into a mountain? Yeah, well here we learn about bears and camping. I'll give LH props for her research. The woman is an expert on so many things! However, in the end, I had to struggle to finish this. At one point I said to my husband, "Ju ...more
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)

Take rival adventure guides h/H, murderous clients, feral bears, dangerous storms, a run for their lives, enforced seclusion in a mountain cabin and you get the gist of this typical Linda Howard romantic thriller set up in the Montana Rockies. This is her third survival-up-a-snowy-mountain that I’ve read.
This book had too much narrative in the first half, although I enjoyed the first couple of chapters where we get the H's pov and get to know her as a person but then it got somewhat tedious til
Joan Reeves
Murder, Conflict, Sexual Fireworks

I was rather surprised by the overly harsh reviews I've read on Prey. I'll admit to being a diehard Linda Howard fan so I ignored the reviews and bought the book anyway. After all, as an author, I get bad reviews too, and I like to think that readers are discerning enough to wade through bad reviews if a book's blurb sounds like their kind of book.

I liked Prey. In fact, I stayed up way too late to finish it the other night. Nobody does heroes better than Linda H
Melowin
Sep 23, 2011 Melowin rated it liked it
I have read every book and novella Linda Howard's written, all 53 of them. I started reading her as a romance author, and stuck with her into the romantic suspense territory, even though I prefer books more centered on human relationships and emotions than action and mysteries. Even with bad guys present, she could describe a bit about his background to make him if not someone I'd like to be around, at least someone I can relate to on some level. But a couple of chapters into this book, the view ...more
Kristin
I'm just continually bummed by Linda Howard these days. In the past she's been so brilliant, but things are hit and miss these days (as I have said many times recently). This book had a FABULOUS concept and the execution wasn't bad. She worked it out so that the scenario seemed plausible, and that was good. She also had characters that were just unique enough to make the story work. (Outdoorsy girl, abandoned by mother, raised by father, bad first wedding, not a quitter. Military man with shrapn ...more
Anne OK
Mar 01, 2011 Anne OK rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
Nothing like I expected from an author of Linda Howard's caliber. It was a total disappointment. Even the lead characters were less than interesting. The bear indeed had a POV -- which didn't much interest me, either. It hurts to review and rate this book so low because I've been a fan of LH's books for many years. She's had some of the best romantic suspense novels I've ever read. Her heroes are almost always exceptional. However, there's just nothing I can say about "Prey" except I just didn't ...more
Rachel Regina
Overall rating: 4.5 stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Amanda
I'm not going to lie - the only reason I gave this book three stars was because I just can't bring myself to give Linda Howard a worse rating. She has been one of my favorite romantic suspense authors ever since I discovered the genre, and I stay pretty loyal to my authors. But this book was a huge disappointment all around.

The book focuses A LOT on how bad the weather is. Of course, that is the main reason why they are stuck together for so long thus making it possible to be with each other an
Pamela(AllHoney)
Angie Powell has decided to throw in the towel. Her guide business isn't doing well since Dare Callahan opened his business. But she has one more trip on the books. This one is a bear hunt. She doesn't like bear but she needs it. Dare is asked by a friend to check on Angie so he goes on a fishing trip so he can be close by just in case. But Angie isn't suppose to make it back alive. Meanwhile, there is a man-eating bear out there and he's hungry.

If I were to compare this one to other Linda Howa
Yuzai
From Linda Howard's Facebook page:

PREY is about a female hunting guide who takes a party bear hunting -- except the bear is hunting THEM. Throw in a killer, as well as a fellow hunting guide who is also her nemesis, add a pinch of terror (I'm now officially terrified of bears, because I've learned too much about them), a scoosh of sexual tension, a cup of grouchy man, a pound of sex, blend well, bake at 350, and voila! -- a book emerges.

Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover Reviews  ❤️
I had really, really high hope's for this book...after reading Veil I felt that LH was getting closer to her old writing standard....sadly I was wrong, this is the lowest rating I have EVER given to one of her books :(
Burçak Kılıç
Jun 30, 2016 Burçak Kılıç rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 yıldız :) Eksikleri olsa da fena değildi.. Konu güzeldi ama daha çok macera beklerdim.. Bir dağ kulübesinde beklemektense doğada daha çok zorluk yaşayabilirlerdi.. Herşey çok oldu bitti ye gelmiş.
Carrie
3.5*

I enjoyed the suspense plot, the bear, the descriptions of the wilderness and the details of being a guide. I liked both main characters and thought Dare's character in particular was humorous. I even liked the romance, what there was of it!

And that's the problem in a nutshell. The story is good, but with more fleshing out and a some layering of the plot lines, it could have been great. It had all the bone structure for a great Linda Howard book. It just needed more meat.

Still, it was fun an
Jacqueline
Reread 1/30 2016 Enjoyed this just as much the second time.

First read - November 8, 2011.
Other than the odd pages we spent in the POV of the bear and 5 or so pages in the head of an NPC who immediately got eaten by said bear, I really enjoyed this book.

It was more an action survival book than anything else. The heroine had guts and then some. She had moral fiber to know when to sell out her property and business and she was super tough crawling down a mountain in a storm with a broken ankle to
Çisem
Apr 13, 2016 Çisem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Düzeltiye dikkat edilmemiş kitapta, bir çok yerde yanlış yazılmış kelimeler vardı bunlar rahatsız ediciydi. Kitap aslında yazarın Fırtına kitabını andırıyordu ama bu daha gerilimli ve daha tutkuluydu. Zaten o kitapta da her şey çok aceleye gelmiş diye sinir olmuştum bunun daha uzun olması ve olayları detaylandırması daha iyiydi. Çifti de sevdim, sonunda herkesin hak ettiğini bulduğu bir kitaptı. Sevdim yani ben kitabı.
Anna
Nov 24, 2014 Anna rated it did not like it
Recommended to Anna by: npl, other howard books
Shelves: sweet-nothings
this is really a short story (at most a novella) which has been padded, stretched and filled with a lot of repetition to make a regular-length novel. There is a great line in the last chapter which sums it up nicely -- the arc of the story is told in about 20 words.

I was actually able to skim through large parts of the story without missing anything.
Season
Oct 17, 2011 Season rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, but I found it a little slow moving. It ended well, but overall not my favorite one by Ms. Howard. Parts just dragged for me.
D.G.
**2.5 stars**

Prey wasn't terrible, it was just a lot more about camping than romance. Even the man eating black bear had a POV!

Angie hates Dare because she feels he ran her out of business. They are both wilderness guides in West Montana and when he set up shop, he siphoned a lot of her clients. Angie acknowledges that it's not all his fault - she made a lot of mistakes running the business she inherited from her father - but still hates his guts.

On what she feels will be her last trip she's tak
Kathleen
Updating book review to add audio review. I waver between 3 and 4 stars. Abby Craden's narration is quite good for Angie, but her voice for the hero (Dare) is a bit too gravely, strained, and rough (she does this on purpose because he had a throat injury). As for how the audio story flows, the first 8 chapters are slow, with too much time devoted to Angie's thoughts, and few scenes with Dare. The action on the stormy ice-cold mountain with a man-eating bear and a ruthless killer begins at chapt ...more
Nurhayat Turna
Mar 31, 2016 Nurhayat Turna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linda Howard favori yazarlarımdan biridir benim. Çıkmış olan kitapların, bulabildiğim kadarını almış tek tek okumuş, hatta defalarca da okuyacak kadar çok sevmişimdir. Kadının kendine has üslubu, kaleminin profesyonel oluşu ortada bir kere. Kurgularındaki heyecanlı tempo hiç eksik değildir mesela, bıkmadan sıkılmadan okuyup bitiriyorsunuz kitapları.
Zamansız Fırtına da sıkılmadan, heyecanla okuyup bitireceğiniz Linda Howard kitaplarından biri.

Konusuna gelecek olursam; Angie ve Dare amansız bir re
Justin Nova
Audio version. Interesting story not much sex which was good. I enjoyed the wilderness aspect and this was the first book I've read with a bear's POV. Well, the animal sort of bear anyways.
Canan  ^^
Bir ayının bakış açısıyla da kitap okudum ya..Benden mutlusu yok :P
Wendy Darling
What happened to you, Linda?
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
Random thoughts of Linda Howard with a romance thrown in best describes this book. I will rate the chapters I liked best. Chapter two. When Angie and Dare first interact in the book. This chapter was very well written Angie wants nothing to do with Dare as she feels he is the reason her business is going bankrupt and she has to sell and move. She has never told Dare this so he doesn’t understand why she runs from him every time she sees him. He pins her in by her vehicle and the banter back and ...more
Kristiej
I can't see me ever giving up reading Linda Howard books. I've loved way too many to not give each new book a try. And though many readers seem disappointed with her books over the past few years, I've enjoyed them enough to keep going. Having said that, I was a bit disappointed with Prey. Just a bit mind you and I have no problems saying if you continue to be a Howard fan, I don't think this one will change that.

As usual, I loved Dare, the hero. There have been very few Howard heroes I haven't
Dee
Book Review
I would probably give this more like 3.5 than 3, but not quite to the level of a 4. I don't know if i've ever read a strict RomSus from Linda Howard, I'd read some of her traditional romances though. I was surprised how much I ended up enjoying this book. I could tell that she had def. done research into the way certain things happened in the book (view spoiler), but it wasn't so much that it over-powered the story/ caused a data-dump for the rea
D.B. Reynolds
Sep 07, 2011 D.B. Reynolds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this book 4.5 stars, I would. My nick picking reservation about this book is the cover, which has absolutely nothing to do with the story of the book. What were they thinking? Anyway, I really liked this book. As always, Howard's characters stuck with me even after I finished reading and I was sad I couldn't read more about them. Yes, it was somewhat predictable, but most romantic suspense is. We all know the couple's going to get together, what would be the point otherwise? The ...more
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Aug 19, 2015 CD {Boulder Blvd} rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: s-bv-library
3.5 Stars

I ended up liking the book as long as I didn't focus on Angie's early behavior which was definitely unappealing (pre-wilderness trip/bear attack). Although it would be devastating to lose the family business, I wasn't too impressed with the way she whined about it or how she treated Dare (the H). I wished LH had written it differently.

Aside from a few character issues with Angie, I enjoyed the plot and LH's writing. I really liked the wilderness aspect as I love hiking in the mountains.
Rachel Amphlett
Dec 19, 2014 Rachel Amphlett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS

Prey is a fast, enjoyable read and Howard captures the atmospherics of the Montana mountain terrain in such a way that you're caught up in the suspense from the start.

There were some parts that reminded me of the film A Lonely Place to Die, and Howard's ability to convey the terror of a bear attack, and Angie's determination to reach safety after her clients' revelation of their past makes this a great read.

The romance between Angie and Dare is understated but works to make
"Rejected" Heroes? 15 70 Apr 23, 2012 04:19PM
Prey 1 25 Jan 19, 2012 01:04PM
  • Sleepwalker
  • On Thin Ice (Ice, #6)
  • The Ideal Man (Buchanan-Renard, #9)
  • Hush (Lodestone, #1;  Stark Brothers, #1)
  • Innocent as Sin (St. Kilda Consulting, #3)
  • Breaking the Rules (Troubleshooters, #16)
  • The Wanderer's Necklace
  • Cold Ridge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1)
  • Run from Fear (Dead Wrong, #3)
  • Unlawful Contact (I-Team, #3)
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • Fatal Flaw
  • Pursuit

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance
More about Linda Howard...

“...heaven or hell...She couldn't tell one from the other.” 0 likes