The Key to Creation (Terra Incognita #3)

The Key to Creation (Terra Incognita #3)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  333 ratings  ·  41 reviews
After long voyages, encountering hurricanes and sea monsters, Criston Vora and Saan race to Terravitae, the legendary promised land. Saan's quest is to find the Key to Creation, a weapon that may defeat Uraba's enemies, and Criston wants vengeance against the monstrous Leviathan that ruined his life long ago.

Back home, two opposing continents and religions clash for the re...more
Kindle Edition, US Edition, 785 pages
Published July 20th 2011 by Orbit (first published July 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Key to Creation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Key to Creation

Jason Reeser
Kevin J. Anderson finishes off this ambitious trilogy with a whirlwind story that ties in a massive battle, two separate explorations, and the revelation of an ancient mythology come back to life. As with the first two novels, this one never drags, always keeps the story fresh, and it is so full of ideas that I imagine Mr. Anderson dug out his journal of writer's ideas and just threw in every little thought he's had in the past ten years. And it all fits together well. My only hesitation in givi...more
David
The final book in the Terra Incognita series. It's a fast-paced, action-packed finale. Lots is going on, though the action tends to focus on Ishalem and the two ships- Dyscovera, and Al-Orizin. There is much more magic than in the prior books, which I felt detracted a bit from the story since (without spoiling it) it has to be used to stop the conflict. The story arc is actually pretty predictable; I don't remember seeing any major plot twists. The ending felt a bit dragged out, probably since i...more
Ranting Dragon
Amanda
A lengthy read, just as the previous books. It just seems like Anderson had to rush at to tie up all the ends in this book. I was a little disappointed in the resolutions of some of the stories, but overall a good series.
Greg
Like in previous previous books, you have to pay attention as you'll jump all over the world page after page. There are a number of simultaneous plot lines and the author works are hard keeping them all in sync, moving you between then pretty rapidly. It's fast paced and best read if you can read for good bit of time. This isn't a page a week kind of book... :P

That said, it's a great book that brings everything together, wrapping everything up. I don't want to spoil it, but let me say the journe...more
Liviu
The series ending novel is always a tricky proposition especially in a trilogy with a classical structure and The Key to Creation shows this, by essentially forcing the story in a very predictable climax to tie in all the sub-threads of the epic. Also the content is less dark than in the other books - there is still the quota of killed characters and all, but the book is less twisty and dramatic than the first two.

These being said I still enjoyed The Key to Creation - the same short chapters, mu...more
Abhinav
Shadowhawk reviews the third Terra Incognita novel by Kevin J. Anderson, which was nominated for the David Gemmell Legend Awards this year.

“Lots of magic, lots of monsters, lots of startling revelations and very bittersweet.” ~The Founding Fields

So finally I am able to get to the novel that began the whole interest in the Terra Incognita series: The Key to Creation, the final novel of this big trilogy about sailing adventures, exploration, mythical monsters, lost lands, religious crusades, fanat...more
Tim Hicks
Three and a half stars, really, but it was an enjoyable fast read and he gets the fourth star for having good guys and bad guys on both sides.

Anderson continues with the dizzying array of characters and plot threads.

Some of the characters get richer and more interesting. Others become caricatures - Hannes, Mateo, "the big Ninghal", and others. I was going to say that real people are never like that, and until the Tea Party arose very few were. Today, ideology is triumphing over facts all over...more
Tbloxham
An enjoyable conclusions to a series which is definitely worth your time. Anderson perhaps loses track of things a bit in the last half of the series as the level of magic seems to skyrocket culminating in a rather 'Deus ex Deus' ending (to coin a phrase) but the characters remain strong and the struggle between two cultures with so much in common remains intriguing.

While it's not the way I would have taken it, I did enjoy the voyages of the Dyscovera, and the world it discovers is quite interes...more
Becky
The dramatic conclusion to the series. Cristan and Saan are battling all sorts of dangers and their own crews in their search for Terravitae. Istar has a surprise from her some village after 20 years living with the enemy. It looks like the 'Hooks are coming out on top in the never ending war but will they ultimately come out on top? Fanatics on both sides may be in for some nasty surprises as the book reaches its conclusion...
Chantale
I have enjoyed the use of alternating chapters to portray multiple perspectives throughout the trilogy. A hopeful creation story which aims to reconcile the "us" and "them" mindset of many religions. The character development and world building developed very excitingly throughout the trilogy. I loved the high seas adventures. I want to find another fantasy with adventure and sea stories. A satisfying conclusion.
Aahzmandius
Awesome conclusion to this series about religious warfare. I loved the split world feeling of watching events unfold from many different perspectives, then coming to a single point for the climax. Thanks, Mr. Anderson, for a great read.
Brian
Nice but using to cultures to sub for the West and the Islamic World. Very good story line otherwise fun to read and covers a lot of exploring the world and god/monster issues with traveling in small wood boats the great big wide world.
Jeff Pigott
Excellent epic story, very complex, and a satisfying and beautiful ending.
Lianne Burwell
About a quarter of the way through this book, I was on the verge of giving up. The conflict between the not-Christians and the non-Muslims was driving me up the wall. I was getting to the point where there were very few sympathetic characters left. The only thing that kept me going was the fact that I'd read about 1500 pages in this trilogy, and I might as well finish it.

So, I kept pushing through, mainly focusing on the parts about the two ships looking for the lost Terravitae. That was the par...more
Albé Theunissen
This review covers all three books of the trilogy.

I am an avid Anderson fan. His Dune series was excellently written and I was spellbound by the Saga of the Seven Suns. I have given both series five stars.

So it saddens me to say that Terra Incognita was a terrible disappointment.

The premise of the story is the escalating violence between two different religious groups/nations, because of misunderstandings and prejudice. The similarities with the Christian-Muslim conflict is not very subtle!

Maybe...more
Marc
I feel like I'm going to repeat myself probably because I'm going to repeat myself. This trilogy was OK but overall disappointing. Kevin J. Anderson's one of my favorite authors, but I wouldn't recommend this series to anyone.

There's this huge disconnect between any of the characters. The major problem is that everything feels rushed. There's barely any time spent with any of the characters despite it being over a 20 year period. The story bounces from one character to another so fast and things...more
Sean
The first book i read by Kevin J. Anderson was "The Last Days of Krypton". I liked that book a lot. So I figured that another book by this author would be a good idea. I was wrong. The idea of the books intrigued me. And so I bought all three of these books at once. And i have regretted it ever since. I read them all. It was not an easy thing to do. certain parts of these books were good but there were not enough of these moments to justify the cost of all three books at once. If i had been a sm...more
Sebastien
Tant qu'a avoir lu les deux premiers livres, j'étais aussi bien prêt à lire la suite.

Je n'ai pas grand chose à dire de plus sur ce livre, à part qu'il est aussi intense que le deuxième sinon un peu plus, que l'auteur ne nous laisse aucune questions non répondu, que la guerre escalade au niveau supérieur et que le livre se lit vraiment très bien.

La seule critique qui fait que je ne peux donner sa cinquième étoile à ce livre c'est que la fin est une peu "cheap". L'auteur à un peu forcé le happy en...more
Bo Loftis
Terrible end to great series. Story dragged on way to long. Without going into spoilers author made really bad decisions with some of the characters. Loved the first two books. This one fell flat.
Amloid Mesa
Excellent ending to a great trilogy. I know I say great book but my criteria is not that low. I am an avid reader and these books encroached in to my dreams
Kate
I have never read a novel that had such beautiful character arches. Mr. Anderson knows how to stay true to his characters.
Ellen
Wraps up the story nicely. Kind of a happily-ever-after ending, but why not?
Janice
Well, this one was better than the first two. At the end of the second book, the lot of them could have slaughtered each other and left no one standing for all I cared. This time around there was less preaching about the evils of intolerance and at least a few of the characters started to get a clue. Still, one tolerable out of three volumes doesn't make this series rate high. I guess it's a little unfair to give this one such a low rating when it's the best of the three, but there you are.
Erick
I thought the book was good, up until the end. the ending - to the book as well as the series - seemed... i don't know. Rushed? I won't give any spoilers, aside from saying that it's clear Anderson wanted a happy ending. Come to think about, the end reminds me of the end of the third LOTR movie where the end kept dragging on and on and on. If not for that, I likely would have rated it higher, and because I enjoyed the rest of the trilogy I was generous and didnt rate it any lower.
Dustin
A fantastic (in many ways) end to the series. While the past novels had about half a dozen plot lines to follow this one finally braids them into two main stories: the quest for god (essentially) and a final confrontation to end the war. The end was heavily on the predictable side of things and the author pulled out all the stops as far as magic and monsters were concerned, but I did feel it was a fitting end for the characters and left the setting in a good place for the future.
David Cooper
This book had some very uncomfortable moments dealing with a wife being reunited with her husband after more than 20 years, how he thought she was dead because he didn't know she was kidnapped. How she married her enemy and how that came about, and how these people went on with their lives. Kevin found a way to make it all happen and be believable and to me that's what a good author should do. This was an excellant tilogy and I would recommend it to anyone who honestly like the genre.
Yun Ting
Jeremy Stephens
As a trilogy, Terra Incognita deserves a five star rating. However, this book by itself is only worthy of four stars. Compared to the first two books in the trilogy, there is much more use of deus ex machina to resolve conflicts and I felt that the last part of the book was oversaturated with a level of sappiness comparable to that found at the end of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Keith Blair
Didn't finish it, I liked the first two books but I couldn't get into this one. The gaint sea monster that "wraps around the world" kind of killed it for me. I'm disappoint that I didn't like this one because I really enjoy the whole holy war storyline in the first two books.
  • The Right Hand of God (Fire of Heaven, #3)
  • The Sea Watch (Shadows of the Apt, #6)
  • The Order of the Scales (The Memory of Flames, #3)
  • Antiphon (Psalms of Isaak, #3)
  • The Mythical Creatures Bible: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Mythical Creatures
  • The Hammer
  • The River of Shadows (The Chathrand Voyage, #3)
  • The Shadow at the Gate  (The Tormay Trilogy, #2)
  • Troika
  • Tanglefoot (The Clockwork Century, #1.2)
  • City of Hope & Despair (City of a Hundred Rows, #2)
  • Untitled (Half Life, #3)
  • Death's Angels
  • Empire of Night (Age of Legends, #2)
  • The Daemon Prism (Collegia Magica, #3)
  • Napier's Bones
  • Pittacus Lore Transmissions
  • The Whitefire Crossing (Shattered Sigil, #1)
Pseudonyms: Gabriel Mesta, K.J. Anderson

He has written spin-off novels for Star Wars, StarCraft, Titan A.E., and The X-Files, and is the co-author of the Dune prequels. His original works include the Saga of Seven Suns series and the Nebula Award-nominated Assemblers of Infinity. He has also written several comic books including the Dark Horse Star Wars collection Tales of the Jedi written in coll...more
More about Kevin J. Anderson...
Jedi Search (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #1) Dark Apprentice (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #2) Champions of the Force (Star Wars: The Jedi Academy Trilogy, #3) Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5) Darksaber (Star Wars)