Start by marking “Shaken, Not Stirred” as Want to Read:
Shaken, Not Stirred

Shaken, Not Stirred

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  513 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Tim Gunn - mentor to contestents on Project Runway, and author of A Guide to Quality, Taste, and Style and New York Times Bestseller Gunn's Golden Rules - recounts his tumultuous relationship with his father in this personal essay. Gunn's father, Bill, was a special agent who served as FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover's ghostwriter and lived his life according to a set of unbe ...more
Published May 21st 2011

To ask other readers questions about Shaken, Not Stirred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shaken, Not Stirred

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryZombicorns by John GreenAlice in Wonderland by Lewis CarrollBoy Meets Boy by David LevithanAll My Friends Are Dead by Avery Monsen
Short Books For Catching Up On Your Challenge
194th out of 305 books — 93 voters
The Zoo by Stephen   BlackBREAKFAST is SEVERED by TyCobbsTeethArcanum Mutatio by A. DalcourtDarkness, I Am by Anthony ParkerThe Wicked Sister by Heather Stotz
Kindle Singles
12th out of 12 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen
Jun 01, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
This "Kindle Single" is really more of a long essay than anything else; consequently, Gunn doesn't have the time or space to really explore the subject, his father, who sounds like a fascinating man. Instead we get a series of interesting tidbits (the senior Gunn was J.Edgar Hoover's ghostwriter for many years) and anecdotes (family road trips gone wrong, etc.) Gunn does a good job in the space permitted of sketching out his father's many serious issues, both mental and physical, but I was left ...more
Niklas Pivic
May 30, 2011 Niklas Pivic rated it really liked it
Shelves: death, funny, non-fiction, kids
This is really an excerpt from his book Gunn's Golden Rules: Life's Little Lessons for Making It Work, which is not noted when buying this off Amazon.

Gunn is an underrated author, mostly because his dry wit and quite unexpected spite erupts from his honesty and growing up in the American suburban 1950s.

This "Kindle single" are a few pages surrounding Gunn's father, a very important FBI employee who, among other things, ghostwrote books for J. Edgar Hoover.

His father was also deeply troubled by O
Kelly
Apr 06, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
I love Tim Gunn. I really enjoyed this little snippet into his life; wish it was longer.
Erika
Tim Gunn is a fairly popular person on television, being one of the hosts for Project Runway, so I am surprised that his book Shaken, Not Stirred hasn't had that many reviews and ratings yet. I love Project Runway and have always been interested in learning more about Tim's past. When I found this Kindle Single for only a couple dollars I was pretty excited. It is very short, being the equivalent of 15 pages.

From the very first page, I was prepared to give this one a high recommendation. It open
TJ Anderson
Jun 07, 2011 TJ Anderson rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
I bought this as a Kindle single. I don't know as it is actually available otherwise. I don't know if this is a common format for Kindle, but I really enjoyed being able to read what was essentially a short story, or very long article on my kindle app. I don't know how many actual pages the story is, but I read the entire thing in about an hour while riding shotgun to Chicago. It is a very personal story from Tim Gunn's life that gives a lot of insight into why he is the way he is. And also, I f ...more
Cindy
Sep 27, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it
I love Tim Gunn! John and I went out for a lazy Saturday breakfast recently and I asked John this hypothetical question: If we could be friends with anyone living, who would that be?" John's answer was surprising and fun, but I will leave that for another discussion. I couldn't narrow it down to just one; my choice for my two hypothetical friends of anyone living were Gladis Knight and Tim Gunn. First of all, i love Manhattan and I hear Tim has quite the "digs" there...I would love to be a house ...more
Quaillady
Dec 22, 2015 Quaillady rated it it was amazing
A Different Outcome...Writing His Own Story

When you see celebrities on T.V. you often assume that their lives are magical. Tim Gunn lifts that curtain and shares a powerful personal story - sad but inspirational. I came away thinking that his battles with OCD and his father were the foundation of his determination to "Make it work". He reveals his tenacity in taking steps to make a different outcome in his own life.
Maureen Flatley
Oct 03, 2015 Maureen Flatley rated it it was amazing
As the daughter of an FBI Agent who served w/ Tim Gunn's father this book resonated for me in a very personal way. Always a huge fan, I adore Tim Gunn a little more and only wish we had been friends growing up in Washington at the same time.
tamara badyna
Feb 16, 2014 tamara badyna rated it really liked it
Love Tim Gunn

Love Tim Gunn

Short story that gives a nice insight into this man. A nice easy read. Glad Mr. Gunn sharpened this part of his life.
Michelle
Jul 29, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
What a cute little short memoir! I love watching Tim Gunn on Project Runway, he always seems so well put together and not afraid to give his fashion opinion. So of course after the premiere last night of the new season I had to FINALLY read his Kindle Single. It was a VERY quick read as it was only about 15 pages but it was a nice insight into the man he is today and how his father shaped that. I can only imagine that while it was a short memoir certain things were hard to reveal about himself, ...more
Lore
Jan 21, 2016 Lore rated it liked it
An essay on Gunn's father, particularly his mental health and ultimate decline into alzheimer's. Gunn's voice springs from the page in its precision and warmth.
Ben Posner
Not sure how I haven't read this yet, as I do love Mr. Tim Gunn. Excellent look into his life, as well as an amazing portrait of Alzheimer's Disease.
Sydney
Oct 17, 2011 Sydney rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I really enjoyed this essay by Tim Gunn. I have admired him on every season of "Project Runway." I am inspired when I watch him because he is such a good mentor to the designers on that show. He is kind in his criticism and that is a trait to be admired. He has no agenda, other than to encourage and push the designers to do their best work. And he's a really snappy dresser.

This book offers some interesting insight into his life growing up. I'm grateful to him for sharing his experiences with his
Melissa
Nov 19, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
I adore Tim Gunn, I just wish there was more to this story! Too short, but very sweet.
Michelle R.
Tim Gunn writes about his relationship with his father. I think like most adults who've lost one or both parents, it's a continuous process to make peace with that loss, and accept that there'll not be another change to get it right with that person. The most poignant part of me was when Mr. Gunn shared a story about the family dog racing through the nursing home to find the elder Gunn and what the junior Gunn believes is the reason for the dog one day failing to recognize his owner.

Classy guy,
Jenna Anderson
Jun 14, 2011 Jenna Anderson rated it really liked it
I decided to give this essay four stars in hopes that Tim Gunn will write a longer memoir. Please? Your family life sounds so interesting and this 279 location (Kindle speak) was just not long enough. Tim, please also release your memoir, when you have it done, in audio format read by you. I love your voice and I think only you could do justice to your words. As I was reading this essay I really wanted to hear the comments on - Alzheimer’s, growing up in the 50's, and OCD coming from you.

Four s
Gregandemy
Dec 01, 2012 Gregandemy rated it liked it
I am a big fan of Tim Gunn on Project Runway, which is why I was interested in reading this kindle single in the first place. It is a long essay and was easily read in about 15 minutes. It was interesting to read about his father's mental illness and how it affected the family, but the essay length barely skimmed the surface of the story. It seemed brief and a little choppy which I think would have been improved with a longer book allowing more of the story to be told. 2.5 stars for this due to ...more
Kathy
Aug 31, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this Kindle Short, it felt like Tim Gunn was talking and telling me these family stories instead of me reading them. Now that I am sitting here trying to write something I realize there is a lot to think about in this essay: family dynamics, mental illness, Alzheimer's disease, unconditional love and animal instinct. I really admire Tim Gunn. I am changing my initial rating of 3 stars to 4 stars because I have been thinking about this book all day.
Technutz
May 22, 2015 Technutz rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
I had heard a lot from other sources about whats in the book. I wish the story was longer. Go Tim!
Naomi V
Mar 20, 2012 Naomi V rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir, 2012
i adore Tim Gunn. he has this classic elegance, panache, and grace that you rarely see any more. in this very short "book" from Kindle, he tells of his father: former FBI agent during Hoover's reign, who apparently suffered from OCD and perhaps other problems. you can feel Tim Gunn's frustration growing up with such a rigid, difficult father, but he still tells the story in a patient, caring way. made me want to know more about his life...
Teri Beckelheimer
Dec 01, 2012 Teri Beckelheimer rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012

Tim Gunn's Shaken, Not Stirred is a short excerpt of his full length memoir. Gunn eloquently recounts life with his OCD father, a former FBI agent and Hoover's ghostwriter, and ponders the possibility that certain traits of his father's may have passed on to himself. A cute read. Gunn's dry sense of humor certainly comes through in his writing.
Pirate
Sep 25, 2011 Pirate rated it it was ok
I am a big fan of Tim Gunn and appreciated this brief insight into his past. I don't know if it was the Kindle Single format or the editing, but it felt like powerful vignettes were transformed into choppy little pieces that didn't come together as a whole. Despite this, I'm still interested to see what Tim has to send down the literary runway next.
Oct 16, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Boy, this is DARK! Tim Gunn does not shy away from the downside, and I suspect he wrote this one himself without a collaborator, because it is a lot more blunt than his "Golden Rules" treatment of the same subject matter. Thought provoking, and more than a little hard to take. But compelling, as always!
Matthew Brown
Jun 20, 2011 Matthew Brown rated it liked it
This journey into the psyche of an eccentrically predictable father and the strain within Gunn's family relationships was entertaining, well written, and well worth the few minutes it takes to read. It's brevity is a strength in one sense, but limits its potential to be profoundly meaningful.
Jacquelyn
Apr 15, 2012 Jacquelyn rated it it was ok
I was really looking forward to reading this, but was disappointed to find that it was on par with an undergraduate college level essay.(I actually read it during a class.) It was short, a bit disorganized, and I didn't really understand the point to it all.
Kelly Aley
Jun 27, 2011 Kelly Aley rated it liked it
This was more of an essay than a single, but it was interesting. I would have liked even more of Gunn's experiences in the 50's to be shared. I also wished more on the family dynamic of living with a father with an illness would have been interesting.
JoAnn
Sep 02, 2011 JoAnn rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Tim Gunn's essay about his father who worked at the FBI and was a ghostwriter for J. Edgar Hoover. Interesting if you know who Tim Gunn is. Not sure how interesting it would be if your don't. Downloaded it as a "Kindle single". Good, quick read before bed.
Deb Jackson
Aug 15, 2011 Deb Jackson rated it liked it
Well written..I really like Tim Gunn & was excited to read this..however, I didn't realize the "Kindle Singles" were merely just a short form of the book. I found it interesting and look forward to reading the full book in it's entirety soon.
Gina
May 09, 2012 Gina rated it liked it
Generally, I enjoy Tim Gunn's writing, and generally, I enjoy short stories/essays. However, I was a bit startled by the abrupt ending to Shaken, Not Stirred. This could be an extended journal entry about Tim's father. It's interesting enough.
Amie
Jun 21, 2011 Amie rated it liked it
Available as a Kindle "single" from Amazon--a short biographical story by Tim Gunn of "Project Runway" fame. The writing style is personal and straight-forward--a peek into Gunn's family life and mostly centered around his father.
  • The Wedding Book: The Big Book for Your Big Day
  • How to Read a Paper: The Basics of Evidence-Based Medicine
  • Waiting for the Taliban: A Journey Through North Afghanistan
  • Blind Courage
  • Sunrise
  • Unlocking the Clubhouse: Women in Computing
  • The Vegas Knockout (The Duffy Dombrowski Mysteries, #4)
  • It's Not My Mountain Anymore
  • Meetings with Morrissey
  • Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry
  • Cooking Solves Everything: How Time in the Kitchen Can Save Your Health, Your Budget, and Even the Planet
  • The Story of My Boyhood and Youth
  • The Man Who Left
  • Ruminations on College Life
  • The Wire: Truth Be Told
  • Three Hundred Zeroes: Lessons of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail
  • If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight?: Tools to Get It Done
  • Surviving Your Stupid, Stupid Decision to Go to Grad School
Timothy M. Gunn is an American fashion consultant and television personality. He was chair of fashion design at Parsons The New School for Design from August 2000 to March 2007 and is well-known as on-air mentor to designers on the Bravo reality television program Project Runway. Gunn's popularity on Project Runway led to his spin-off show, Bravo's Tim Gunn's Guide to Style, as well as his book A ...more
More about Tim Gunn...

“Every one of Dad’s colleagues would eventually commit suicide, most by gunshot to the head, and every woman in their circle except for my mother would become a dysfunctional alcoholic. But in the fifties, they were all riding high.” 0 likes