Start by marking “Uncle Vanya” as Want to Read:
Uncle Vanya

Uncle Vanya

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  10,080 ratings  ·  210 reviews
Dramatic Comedy / Characters: 5 male, 4 femaleScenery: Interior/Exterior

This classic imparts an indelible picture of Chekhov's Russia and of his rich, bittersweet and deeply human characters.

"Blessedly free both of Slavisms and of up-to-date colloquialisms." -New York Times

"Simply wonderful." -Boston Globe"Mamet's adaptation is true and faithful to the Russian master in bo
Published November 8th 2010 by Samuel French Trade (first published 1897)

To ask other readers questions about Uncle Vanya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncle Vanya

Lyn
Uncle Vanya was completed by Russian playwright, author and doctor Anton Chekhov in 1897 and first produced in Moscow in 1899. This fairly complicated interaction between a group of people, secluded in a country estate is filled with dramatic irony and with overwhelming themes of introspection, ennui and dashed hopes. To say it is bleak would be like saying Conan O’Brien can be a snarky smart ass.

description

But this is Russian drama, so some darkness can be expected, even anticipated. I wonder if long, col
M.
Just this.
"We must live our lives. Yes, we shall live, Uncle Vanya. We shall live through the long procession of days before us, and through the long evenings; we shall patiently bear the trials that fate imposes on us; we shall work for others without rest, both now and when we are old; and when our last hour comes we shall meet it humbly, and there, beyond the grave, we shall say that we have suffered and wept, that our life was bitter, and God will have pity on us. Ah, then dear, dear Uncle,
Duane
I enjoy Chekhov's short stories immensely, I think many of them would make very good plays. But he also wrote good plays, and Uncle Vanya was one of the best. It's about one Russian family and their interfamily relationships, featuring jealousy, secret amorous longings, and common bickering, that occur over a span of a few days. I know it's meant to be a serious play, and it is, but I couldn't help but be amused by some of their actions and conversations. I would love to see this one on stage.
matt

Seen the Louis Malle movie a bunch of times, saw it performed as a kind of farcical romp once, read the actual play several times over.

It's my favorite among the Chekhov plays I've read. Stunning, relate-able, so agonizingly true to life (the love triangles, dorky-but-sweet professor type doesn't notice the simple heart who loves him, wretched old man whose longing for the beautiful lady is simultaneously his idea of redemption and self-pity, on and on....) and with an ending that gently plac
Tempo de Ler
O tamanho deste livro não é reflexo da densidade do seu conteúdo. Por ser uma peça, acabamos por ter um papel mais activo, acrescentando as nossas percepções em relação ao que não foi escrito. Cada vez mais os livros se enchem de grafismo, parágrafos e parágrafos de descrição para montar cenários, linhas e mais linhas para dissecar sentimentos e aqui está, da forma mais simples possível, mas com igual ou superior competência, «O Tio Vânia».

A melancolia que encontrei antes nos contos de Tchekhov
محمود حسني

لما برجع أقرا حاجة لتشيكوف بفتكر كلام باتريك سوزكيند عن موزارت في مسرحية مونودراما عبقرية ليه اسمها الكونتراباص

وكان بيقول على لسان عازف الكونتراباص : إن موزارت حقيقة ليس أسطورة في الموسيقى .. ليس استثنائي في مؤلفاته .. أهميته ليست فنية بقدر ما هي تاريخية .. أهميته في أنه أول من أفتتح تلك الدروب التي أتى من بعده بيتهوفن وشوبان وشوبارت ليملؤها عبقرية ..

تقريبا الكلام اللي اتقال عن موزارت في الموسيقى نقدر نقوله عن تشيكوف في الأدب وخصوصا القصة القصيرة ..

#تأملات
Janne Varvára
In my present state, spending Christmas at the psych ward to be kept an eye on while I test drugs, I feel it's only fitting to read the people who would understand: the Russians. I spent pretty much all of yesterday sitting in the living room here reading Chekhov's Uncle Vanya.

I realized pretty soon that not only do Anton Chekhov's plays have a lot in common, but Uncle Vanya is pretty much the same story as The Cherry Orchard; it shares that many common themes. But rather than feeling that this
Bernard Norcott-mahany
Generally stories move from a starting point, through some crisis, and return the hero(ine) to the starting point, but now changed by the experience. That doesn't happen in "Uncle Vanya." The situation at the end is largely the same as before. There has been some discovery. People have learned something of what others feel and think about them, and about their own feelings towards others, but that knowledge is not profound, nor is there any change brought about because of the new knowledge.
When
Jim
Anton Chekhov's plays are so dense with the aura of disappointment that it is difficult to summarize them. Here we have a country estate which is run by Ivan and Sonia, unmarried brother and sister, for the benefit of their selfish father, the now retired Professor Serebryakov and his young wife. Ivan loves Serebryakov's twentyish wife Yelena; and Sonia, Doctor Astrov, who is in turn also in love with Yelena and thoroughly tired of her aging husband's hypochondria.

Even Astrov realizes that his
Vegantrav
Bleak.

Very bleak and dreary, like the Russian countryside in winter.

Not my cup of tea--especially the cold, bitter tea on offer in this play.

Can I say that Uncle Vanya is not boring yet is also not interesting without sounding absurd? It didn't bore me, yet I had no real interest in it as I read. The play is so short that its drabness does not deter the reader from finishing it.

There really is hardly any plot here: just a slice of the flat, listless lives of the characters who populate this r
David Sarkies
Jul 09, 2015 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Modernists and people who like Russian literature
Recommended to David by: I've always wanted to read Chekov
Shelves: modernist
The nobility in a time of transition
11 October 2013

This is the last of the four Chekov plays that was in the book that I picked up in a second hand bookshop in Adelaide. The main reason that I grabbed the book was because I had never read anything by Chekov before, and also it was one of those nice hardcover editions (though I suspect that it is actually a part of a much larger collection of world literature, like the ones that are advertised in television in one of those ridiculously long info
Hamid Hasanzadeh
روسیه همیشه توجه مرا به خود جلب می کند. رمان های داستایوسکی ، مدرسه هنرهای مسکو ، افکار لنین و حذب بلشویک و تاریخش ، و سینمای تارکوفسکی به راستی گواه بر این مدعاست که روسیه سرشار از سرچشمه های ذوق هنری و تفکر فلسفی-انقلابی بوده است. اگر که داستایوسکی را بهترین رمان نویس بدانیم ، بی شک در زمینه نمایشنامه نویسی آنتون چخوف-نه تنها در روسیه- بل در سطح جهان از بهترینان است.
دایی وانیا که یکی دیگر از شاهکارهای اوست در اواخر سده ی نوزدهم نگارش شده و به سال 1899 توسط مدرسه تئاتر مسکو و شخص استانیسلاوسکی
Ahmed Mahmoud Gamal

لحد الان لم أقرأ قصةاو مسرحيه مبهرة لانطون تشيخوف ..هذه المسرحيه تافهه للغايه هل تكلم تشيخوف عن مشاكل فى مجتمعه؟..لا لم يفعل فقط نجد مسرحيه بدون هدف تحكى عن عائله ريفيه حياتها ممله ورتيبه ..يتبدل حالها
بمجرد وصول احد افراد الاسره هو وزوجته ..يقع كل افراد الاسرة الذكور والعجائز فى غرام الزوجه ..وتجنبا للمشاكل
تقرر الزوجه وزوجها الرحيل كما جاءا ..هذه هى المسرحيه
Ana Rînceanu
This play gives a melancholic look at the concept of "wasted life", which all of our characters suffer from to some extent. This was a great play but I would not recommend reading it in case you are depressed since the play does not offer any solutions or comforts aside from the promise of an afterlife. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Chekhov an atheist?
Riham
about waste of life and aging..
اللحظة من حياتك التى تدرك فيها أنك أضعت عمرا فيما لا يفيد و أن كل قناعاتك وأفكارك كانت أفكار تافهة لم تخدم ولن تنفع..
الخال فانيا شعر بذلك..ولكنه قرر أن من الأفضل أن يستمر في تلك الحياة عديمة القيمة :(
Pavel
The end of this play is the lightest piece of prose ever written. In the darkest hour it actually tells me that there's still hope. I know this sounds pompous and yes, you have to go through whole play to get to this part, but still... I know this words by heart in Russian, not sure if it sounds that good in translation, copying it from some web site:

Bogdan Liviu
Despre tortura de a-ti constientiza incapacitatea de a-ti suporta in continuare existenta. A fi spulberat de imposibilitate, de inutilitate, de o viata sterila pentru care-ai tras ca un cal, toata munca depusa a fost sub impulsul celei mai sinistre amageli; te regasesti la varsta de patruzeci si sapte de ani, intr-o integrala incapactate de a continua sa respiri pana la sfarsitul zilelor. O fiintare lipsita de orice realizare, o intreaga tinerete - seva intregii vieti - amanetata unei alte perso ...more
Gorfo
This is the 3rd out of a 5 marathon Chekhov reading streak. I read Uncle Vanya after reading Ivanov. Some choice quotes include:

"Your doctor was right --- there's a demon of destruction in every one of you. You don't spare the trees, nor the birds, nor the women, nor each other."

"A woman becomes a man's friend in three steps: first acquaintance, then lover, then friend"

"You felt like shooting somebody, you should have put a bullet in your own head."

"I used to think freaks were sick, but I've c
Leslie
I read while listening to the Librivox full cast recording, which I will recommend. I found having different people reading the different parts (plus their intonations at certain times) really helped me keep track of who was who.

This play struck me as having a lot going on even through it is mostly talk rather than action. Vanya (Ivan) has been caring for his niece Sonia's estate after his sister died; now, his (former?) brother-in-law & his second wife Helena are visiting. Helena exerts a d
TarasProkopyuk
Данная пьеса Антона Чехова достаточно хороша, но лично мне показалось, что она на порядок ниже чем другие Чеховские пьесы. Возможно такое впечатление сложилось только из-за самого сюжета пьесы.

А что касается того как автор тонко предоставил своих героев, их недостатки, их поступки и их порочность, то тут Антону Чехову нет равных. Как всегда есть над чем задуматься…
§--
I definitely feel like I missed something here. There are some general things I noticed, but "what it's about" is elusive, as so much of the play contradicts other parts. Chekhov, as in the earlier Seagull, takes a bunch of very unlikely people and puts them in a room, letting things happen. As for the stereotype that he's boring, I don't see that at all. There's a shooting on stage!

Like the Seagull, Chekhov is working in a pastoral mode, but this time he ties the action to the setting (in the S
Petra

I wasn't very patient with the characters from The Three Sisters. They were weeping all the time, dreaming about better life, and in the end they did nothing at all, only let others to take control over their lives. They failed living their lives and their dreams. That drove me crazy. But in the case of Uncle Vanya it was different. The theme of a wasted life is still there, but in other forms.
First, there is Helena who decided to spend her life with the p
Larry
I first read this play in the late 1960's (in Dublin and saw a great production) when all I could seem to read with any enthusiasm was Russian literature ...i regularly re-read this play to remind myself not only of the sheer brilliance of Chekhov but to reconnect with its timeless narrative of the questioning self (not matter where in life you may be). Remember this is a play and shouldn't be read as you would a novel. This is essential as the reader must fill in the blanks where there is usual ...more
Jayme
I enjoyed this much more than the Cherry Orchard. In that play, the characters are defined by their complete inability to accomplish anything, the whole point is that there is zero character growth. In Uncle Vanya, I'm not really sure you can say there was much character growth either...but they were at least able to make decisions and act on their feelings. It made for a much less frustrating read. Not to mention the characters were just plain awesome. My favourite was the doctor, who is also a ...more
Samantha Smith
This was a complex tale of a very tangled family tree and how just two people who don't do anything useful change the course of everyone's lives. A very thought provoking notion was the fact that Sofya and her mother-in-law were the same age. Something that is definitely not acceptable today, nor was fully acceptable then. This created a tension between the two charters and allowed for an even more complex love web. Even though Yelena (Sofya's step-mother) was clearly married, Sofya's uncle and ...more
Qi
** With apology to other readers, this review is only on a movie adaption set in Australia, called "Country Life", starred by Sam Neil. My justification for filing this note under the original book is stemmed purely for my own future reference **

Among the set of characters in this classic play of frustrations and delusion of life, there are several clusters -- the realists, the aspirants, and the willfully blinded ones.

The realists include the Doctor, the old maid in the house, and the young wi
Kris
Yelena (to Sonya): Oh, it's more than just caretaking and tree planting. Don't you understand, darling? That man has genius! Do you know what genius means? It means daring, a free-ranging mind, a sense of vision. To plant a tree and be able to imagine that tree a hundred years from now--that means to imagine the future happiness of humanity! People like that are very rare; they deserve to be loved. Yes, he drinks; yes, he's messy and vulgar; but what's so wrong with that? These days you can't ex ...more
kyle
Read Ann Donnivan's translation, saw Andrew Upton's adaptation with marvelous direction by Tamas Ascher for the Sydney Theater Company with Cate Blanchett. Finally after about 15 years of wondering I "got" Chekhov. John Emigh's brilliant lectures in college brought me an intellectual appreciation but my theater experiences have been leaden. While reading the play there was much to appreciate (the devil is really in the details in Chekhov) but I wondered how I would sit through it. I didn't reali ...more
Barkha
Book Review for TG- 7

This book was quite depressing. Not a single happy thing happens. But it's a true reflection of a dysfunctional family. No love lost, only together for the convenience of it.

I like Vanya in the beginning, but it's quite pathetic the way he cries in the end. I did not care for anyone else.

The book is so short, I did not have anything else to take home from it.
Charlie
This was my first experience with Chekhov, and I was delighted to find that his writing wasn't musty at all, the way I'd been expecting, but very lively and human. Moving, too, in parts; Sonya's monologue at the end was so beautiful I had tears in my eyes. A lot of the things Voynitsky/Ivan/Vanya said made a big impression on me, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for Astrov, who shares my love of trees and vegetarianism/veganism. It also really struck me how relevant this play is some on ...more
All About Books: Group Play -- Uncle Vanya (Spring 2015) 46 37 Jun 19, 2015 09:08AM
Public Play House: Uncle Vanya 1 3 Mar 01, 2015 10:04PM
  • Electra
  • Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk
  • The Cripple of Inishmaan
  • Six Characters in Search of an Author
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov was born in the small seaport of Taganrog, southern Russia, the son of a grocer. Chekhov's grandfather was a serf, who had bought his own freedom and that of his three sons in 1841. He also taught himself to read and write. Yevgenia Morozova, Chekhov's mother, was the daughter of a cloth merchant.

"When I think back on my childhood," Chekhov recalled, "it all seems quite glo
More about Anton Chekhov...
Selected Stories The Cherry Orchard The Seagull The Complete Short Novels The Three Sisters

“..when one has no real life, one lives by mirages. It's still better than nothing.” 30 likes
“What must human beings be, to destroy what they can never create?” 20 likes