Start by marking “Edinburgh: A Cultural and Literary History” as Want to Read:
Edinburgh: A Cultural and Literary History

Edinburgh: A Cultural and Literary History

An in-depth cultural and historic guide to fabulous Edinburgh, capital of Scotland and home to one of the world's great arts festivals.
Published October 30th 2003 by Interlink Publishing Group (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Edinburgh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edinburgh

Annette
Feb 05, 2015 Annette rated it it was amazing
After visiting the impressive city of Edinburgh, I wanted to learn more about it. The city was not heavily bombed during the WWII, becoming a refuge for many Europeans and soldiers, where they received a warm welcome from the natives, organizing dances and other social events. This was one of the roots giving the beginning of the Edinburgh International Festival. And this is one of the many origins of Edinburgh Festivals described by the author.

For me every city comes alive with its festivals an
Natasha
Dec 23, 2010 Natasha rated it liked it
I'm considering a visit to Edinburgh this Spring, and since this book was only a $1.00 at the Seattle Public Library book sale, it seemed like a good place to start to get a little background on the city.

I like that each chapter covers a different district of this very dynamic city. Were I to make a specific recommendation around this book, it seems it would make more sense to read it while one is visiting the city rather than before a trip. To be able to see the landmarks as the author describe
Rachel Pollock
Jun 21, 2011 Rachel Pollock rated it really liked it
Shelves: mfa-studies
I read this in preparation for spending the month of July living in Edinburgh. It sounded more appropriate to my trip, in terms of getting a bit of background on the city's history and culture, more so than a traditional travel manual. For example, I don't need the sections on hotel ratings that you usually find in such books, since I'm renting a room. Campbell is a great author for this type of book, because of his own literary and artistic background. I particularly enjoyed learning the histor ...more
Willis
Jul 19, 2015 Willis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to ready if you haven't ever been to Edinburgh and want to get a sense of the highlights of the city. More than just a travelogue, the author takes different areas of Edinburgh and weaves in the history and unusual stories into the travelogue. It was a great read for the flight over to Edinburgh yesterday and it makes the trip that much more meaningful.
Cassie
Cassie rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2008
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was ok
Oct 24, 2016
Bradford
Bradford rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2008
Doug
Doug rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2016
Jean Blackwood
Jean Blackwood rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2012
Heather Mathie
Heather Mathie rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2008
Jester
Jester marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2008
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2008
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2009
Thebruce1314
Thebruce1314 marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2011
Evie
Evie marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2011
Carly
Carly marked it as to-read
May 14, 2012
Diego Gasques
Diego Gasques marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Christina West
Christina West marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Tijs Hopman
Tijs Hopman marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Tuisku
Tuisku marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2017
Bbsteph
Bbsteph marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2011
Meg Elisabeth
Meg Elisabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2011
Kl
Kl marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016