Start by marking “Of Mutability” as Want to Read:
Of Mutability

Of Mutability

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Jo Shapcott's award-winning first three collections, gathered in Her Book: Poems 1988 1998, revealed her to be a writer of ingenuous, politically acute and provocative poetry, and rightly earned her a reputation as one of the most original and daring voices of her generation. In Of Mutability, Shapcott is found writing at her most memorable and bold. In a series of poems t ...more
Published June 2nd 2011 by Faber & Faber (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Of Mutability, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Mutability

Wings by Aprilynne PikeThe Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. PearsonThe Declaration by Gemma MalleyTithe by Holly BlackEmma by Jane Austen
Butterflies
105th out of 201 books — 115 voters

More lists with this book...

Megan
It was a book of transformations, of changes, and of growth. I liked one about the owl. I didn't like the one with the wee. 2.5/5
Daniel Stephens
I must confess, I had never heard of Jo Shapcott before I bought this book (second hand for 53p, for a perfect condition hardcover no less, what a bargain!) but I'm very glad I gave her a try.

There are some truly wonderful poems in this collection - the standout being the first and one for which the collection is named, "On Mutability". I found this exceptionally moving, and was moved to tears.

There are some in the collection I found dell a little flat, but overall this is something I can see
Matthew
How does a poet decide the subject of their poetry? In this collection, the majority of Jo Shapcott's poems have a light, personal quality. To an extent, all of the poems in this collection could be characterized as light or personal by varying degrees, but this collection appears to be structured in such a way that I can categorize the poems as light, person; homage; poems about trees... There's a fourth category, but I don't know how to characterize them. For the time being, let the fourth cat ...more
Cathy
This collection holds both remarkable poems and not-quites, but that is my personal take. I'm not going to write a lit-crit review here, as I'm no longer a student and read this collection for pleasure and curiosity.

When Shapcott nails it, she really does. But there are a few that just don't quite do it for me here and that is a subjective view. I am being quite strict on this because Shapcott is a well-established name in British poetry and has a relatively high profile compared to many. There
Eliatan
Another day, another book of poetry about the body and it's failings into illness. It must be a theme in my life at the moment.

These were very delicate poems, ones to touch lightly and glance back at to be sure that's what I read.
Justine Knight
A fresh new voice, reviewed by carol ann Duffy so I thought I would read a bit of work and was very impressed. Original and raw. Beautiful
Mary
The title poem is kick-ass and worth the price of the whole collection.
Shriram Sivaramakrishnan
Jo Shapcott's poetry made me 'feel alive' as a poet. It redeemed my inner self. Simply put, it is one of the best books (in poetry) that I've read in a long long time.

Her poems are a delight to read and are very vivid.

A MUST READ for any budding poet.
Mark Sexton
I'm never overly convinced when poems have scientific language shoehorned into them, but it's done quite naturally here for the most part. Well written collection and distinctive. I particularly enjoyed 'alternative' , 'myself photographed' and 'for summer'.
Sharon Langridge
I don't remember what
made me buy a book of poetry
by someone I'd never heard of.
I liked it, though.
Conversational in style;
pieces of London,
country,
trees,
bugs,
humans.
Sophie Nicholls
One of my favourite collections for a long time and perhaps Shapcott's best work yet.
Witty, sensuous, intelligent.
In places, breath-taking.
Barbara Duvoisin
PR bk club mar2011
Enjoy reading poetry out loud. So far, so interesting
Some poems are rather cryptic but others are startlingly pure
Alexis Lloyd
Sorry Jo, far too intellectual for me - I hardly understood a word!
Kent Winward
These poems suffered from the lack of notability.
Declan
The unstable body in the uncertain world.
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
John R
John R marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Stephanie Knox
Stephanie Knox marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
  • White Egrets
  • Collected Poems
  • Matisse the Master: The Conquest of Colour, 1909-1954
  • Tales from Ovid: 24 Passages from the Metamorphoses
She was an undergraduate at Trinity College, Dublin. She is Professor of Creative Writing at Royal Holloway College, University of London, where she teaches on the MA in Creative Writing. She is the current President of The Poetry Society.

Her Book: Poems 1988-1998 (2000), consists of a selection of poetry from her three earlier collections: Electroplating the Baby (1988), which won the Commonwealt
More about Jo Shapcott...
Emergency Kit Her Book: Poems 1988-1998 Tender Taxes: Translations from Rainer Maria Rilke Helen Dunmore, Jo Shapcott, Matthew Sweeney Phrase Book