Start by marking “About Love and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
About Love and Other Stories

About Love and Other Stories

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  338 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Raymond Carver called Anton Chekhov "the greatest short story writer who has ever lived." This unequivocal verdict on Chekhov's genius has been echoed many times by writers as diverse as Katherine Mansfield, Somerset Maugham, John Cheever and Tobias Wolf. While his popularity as a playwright has sometimes overshadowed his achievements in prose, the importance of Chekhov's ...more
Published August 12th 2004 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about About Love and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about About Love and Other Stories

Sir Jack
Chekhov describes a character or a scene just enough to let the reader cleanly infer what’s being indicated. His descriptions are never overstated or garish; always subtle, wavering, whimsical, but precise. He lets his stories tell themselves somehow, getting out of the way when he should.

And the descriptions of these all-too-human people in mediocre villages in one-hundred-years ago Russia are so vivid that it all seems familiar and nostalgic.

Highlights! An uncharacteristically zany story abo
Jonathan
This collection featured many stories I had previously read last year but those I had not read were refreshing. The difference in translation of the old stories however was both refreshing and disappointing.

While I felt with stories previously read I was reading them afresh the change in meaning was a disappointment at times. While at times things made unclear in previous translations were revealed with more clarity.

On the whole as with any work of Chekhov's worth reading to observe a master sh
Naile Berna
I didn't know I liked reading short stories. Apparently I do.

My favorites were Lady with the Little Dog, Gooseberries, Rothschild's' Violin, About Love.

It's interesting Chekhov keeps using the same character names. It can be confusing sometimes with remnants of one character attached to a name, blending into an unrelated one.

Ally
I'm not sure I 'got' these stories. For me it was a one-dimensional look at human behaviours, the negative side of life and love. While interesting and universal, to me this was just half the story. I was also a bit disappointed that the inspiration behind so many of my favourite authors, particularly Katherine Mansfield, didn't really live up to my expectations. BUT...I'm sure I'm missing something so I want to re-visit these stories in a few years time. Maybe I'll appreciate them more at anoth ...more
aaron
A short story writer whose terse statements of late-19th century Russian life left an indelible impression on my mind - Chekhov was the first writer of fiction that I reached for after finishing my degree. I was not disappointed. I have yet to meet any other short story writer of the modernist period or otherwise that commands such a profound grasp of the simple sentence or the laconic phrase; Chekhov's prose economy is fittingly frugal.
Mogbolahan Koya-Oyagbola
I read this book very quickly. The edition I read had only five stories so I don't really feel qualified to comment. I suppose the two stories I liked best were:

the one about the country doctor (I can't remember the titles);
and the one about the woman and the dog.

Not much of a review I realise but these are not the best stories I've read. I much prefer Tolstoy's shorts.
Jenny
Upon buying this book I neglected to read the table of contents and have come to find that there are a few stories from the Lady with the Little Dog stories that I had read earlier.
Roger DeBlanck
Chekhov’s stories can be admired on a variety of levels. The fluidity, clarity, and straightforwardness of his prose take on a lyricism that is wonderfully accessible. He tackles themes of personal dilemmas that pose philosophical questions to humanity’s vulnerability to feel safe and protected while also seeking to define its strengths against the forces of weaknesses that prevent humans from their full capability to prosper and reach a feeling of happiness. The indecisive, often confounded, ma ...more
Jaimella Shaikh
Bringing together stories from across Chekhov's career on the themes of love and loss, there are few happily ever afters here. These spare, subtle stories are full of unanswered questions as Chekhov dissects love in all its forms.

In the title story his dispassionate, doctor's eye is alert to the first flush of love: 'I didn't think about her, but it was as if her graceful shadow lay across my soul.' The flickering of the scarcely noticeable symptoms of a love that is destined to remain an unspo
Hardyreader
This was my first experience with Chekhov, and as a fan of the short story genre I was looking forward to it. After struggling through the first few stories, I found myself disappointed. Like another person here said, I didn't "get it." I appreciate the common characteristic of short stories, that the ending can be rather haphazard without a complete resolution, but Chekhov seems to take that to its extreme.

As a reader who enjoys and values the beauty of a perfectly constructed sentiment, senten
Sara
It took me a while to read these due to a busy schedule, but they were enjoyable. Last year, my husband and I went to Chekhov's estate in Russia and got to tour his land. It definitely helps when you create visuals of the stories and the time period. I do struggle with the typical tomes of Russian literature that you see in the average bookshop, but Chekhov is different. His writing is light, short, comical and light-hearted. Half the time, you can't believe that Chekhov puts his characters in s ...more
Stella
Literatura rusa, esa gran desconocida!... al menos para mí... me agradó mucho :)
Greta Nettleton
Perfection! Inspiration! tales not only of love, but also of women healers, 19th century science vs. the natural world, lies, denial, and a physician's universal insight (Chekhov was a practicing physician in the Russian provinces most of his life) in this quote: "Happiness does not exist and it should not exist, and if there is a meaning and purpose to life, then that meaning and purpose is certainly not for us to be happy, but something far greater and wiser, Do good!"
Mejix
Beautiful book. I was looking a collection that would justify Chekhov's reputation and this was it. A couple of these stories hit too close to home. The audiobook version was superb.
Simon
Beyond good. Perhaps the best things I've read.
Fuller review to follow.
I'd been aiming at 333 books in 3 calendar years. This was the 333rd. I'd saved my first experience of Chechov's prose until now. I wasn't disappointed.
Becky
It's Chekhov...
Andrew Rogers
A wonderful translation by Rosamumd Bartlett, I found it easier to read grammatically than earlier translations, and with a more contemporary style.
Augustus
Chekov gives such wonderful three-dimensional characters, even in a story that's only 2 or 3 pages long.
☯Bettie☯
YourFavoriteBookWorm
YourFavoriteBookWorm marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Sandwish
Sandwish marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Marin Zabed
Marin Zabed is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2015
Areej
Areej added it
Feb 24, 2015
  • Russian Magic Tales from Pushkin to Platonov (Penguin Classics)
  • Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk
  • The Penguin Book of Modern British Short Stories
  • The Kreutzer Sonata and Other Short Stories
  • First Love and Other Stories (World's Classics)
  • Sanin: A Novel
  • For a Night of Love
  • The Dream Life of Sukhanov
  • Soul
  • A Parisian Affair and Other Stories (34 stories)
  • The Galosh
  • Red Cavalry and Other Stories
  • There Once Lived a Girl Who Seduced Her Sister's Husband, and He Hanged Himself: Love Stories
  • The Noise of Time: Selected Prose
  • The Squabble
  • Tolstoy: A Russian Life
  • Poor Folk and Other Stories
  • The Adulterous Woman
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov (Russian: Антон Павлович Чехов) (Arabic: أنطون تشيخوف) was born in the small seaport of Taganrog, southern Russia, the son of a grocer. Chekhov's grandfather was a serf, who had bought his own freedom and that of his three sons in 1841. He also taught himself to read and write. Yevgenia Morozova, Chekhov's mother, was the daughter of a cloth merchant.

"When I think back on m
More about Anton Chekhov...
Selected Stories The Cherry Orchard The Seagull The Complete Short Novels Uncle Vanya

“Three o'clock in the morning. The soft April night is looking at my windows and caressingly winking at me with its stars. I can't sleep, I am so happy.” 58 likes
“You don't understand, you fool' says Yegor, looking dreamily up at the sky. 'You've never understood what kind of person I am, nor will you in a million years... You just think I'm a mad person who has thrown his life away... Once the free spirit has taken hold of a man, there's no way of getting it out of him.” 36 likes