Start by marking “To The Actor: On The Technique Of Acting” as Want to Read:
To The Actor: On The Technique Of Acting

To The Actor: On The Technique Of Acting

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  18 reviews
How does an actor learn to:
* Call up emotion?
* Develop a character?
* Strengthen awareness?
These are essential techniques for every actor, and Michael Chekhov's classic work To the Actor explains, clearly and concisely, how to develop them. Chekhov's simple and practical method - successfully used by professional actors all over the world - trains the actor's imaginati
Published May 2nd 2002 by Routledge (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about To The Actor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To The Actor

Natasha
Jun 06, 2007 Natasha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: artists of all types!
Holy Shit. Seriously, holy shit.

I picked up this book on a whim, because I sortof recognized the name and thought, why not, its been a while since I read an acting text.

This book relates the craft of acting in such a way that it rediscovers it as an artform, at least for me. It draws parallels with every other type of art, and relies on the actor's existing talent and imagination as the basis for a successful acting experience, rather than just saying "remember how you felt when your dog died,
Peter Catania
I thought acting is just pretending to be someone your not was a good enough method. It's the Sir Ian McKellen way. Went very slow with this book because there was much highlightable material. Great read for actors or those who want to understand the craft of acting.
Ian
One of the least natural approaches to acting I've ever learned, but not without a certain sense of poetry.
Justin
One of the most creative and innovative alternatives to pure Stanislavski technique. Perhaps not the best place to delve into acting theory, but certainly one of the most mind-broadening experiences you can have in the area -- like diving into the deep end after dipping your toes.
Algeria Harding
Jan 13, 2008 Algeria Harding rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Algeria by: Random
Shelves: already-read
As a previous Vocalist / aspiring Actress, this book changed my life! It helped me to not only apply many of the approaches to the art of being a performer, but it also helped me to apply it to an array of other aspects of my life. A must have for the "Performing Artist".
Teresa
All aspiring actors should read this inspiring and informative book by Michael Chekhov. I've learned more in the past year from reading his work, than in my entire career.
Nika
I own the hardcover its been so long since I read it so I probably should again. However I recall liking it.He was reknown for being awsome.
Teresa
Rocked my world. I've always been slightly out of sync with Stanislawski but didn't know why until I read this amazing book.
Eduardo Brasil
I own a copy of it in Portuguese. Excellent insight into the craft of acting and good proposed practical exercises
Dave Cotton
You really need a teacher trained in Chekhov's style of acting to work with you to get the most out of this book.
Will Bellais
Jun 01, 2007 Will Bellais rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Required reading
Shelves: referenceworks
Here is a text all actors must read, digest, and make part of their intuitive knowing.
Jeffrey
Jan 16, 2008 Jeffrey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those that are seious about their acting craft
delicious discoveries from the greatest teacher in technique for the actor.
Erin
changed the way i see and do performance
Carolyn
The BEST acting book I have ever read!
Neelhari Kafle
i want to read this book
Andy
Feb 27, 2011 Andy added it
my favorite book about acting
Ned
didn't help me much
Merouane
Merouane marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Janelle Meghan
Janelle Meghan marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Claudia Goodman
Claudia Goodman marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Judith Johnston
Judith Johnston marked it as to-read
Sean McClelland
Sean McClelland is currently reading it
  • A Challenge For The Actor
  • Acting for the Camera: Revised Edition
  • A Director Prepares: Seven Essays on Art and Theatre
  • The Power of the Actor
  • A Dream of Passion: The Development of the Method
Lessons for the Professional Actor The Path of the Actor Actingَ Michael Chekhov's To the Director and Playwright بازیگری