Curran, Vol. II: Fathers and Sons (Curran POV, #2)

Curran, Vol. II: Fathers and Sons (Curran POV #2)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  7,212 ratings  ·  225 reviews
The second volume of Curran POV takes place after the events of MAGIC BLEEDS.

Published May 19th 2011 by Ilona Andrews, Inc (first published May 12th 2011)

♥Rachel♥
We get a ticked off Curran when he wakes up and finds Kate has been challenged left and right. Reading Curran's thoughts you get to see exactly how much he cares for and loves Kate. Not many would be able to have the strength to protect Kate, she is usually the one kicking ass, but he is the exception. I LOVE how protective he is of Kate and we get to see that firsthand in this novella. Getting inside Curran's head with all these POV's has been a real treat.

I have to say he is one of my all-tim...more
Lora
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Curran's POV Vol 2 shows what happened right after the final chapter of Magic Bleeds. The Beast Clans must explain their homicidal intentions toward Kate while Curran was comatose. In short, the Beast Lord is pissed and fur is about to fly.

I liked this more than the previous Curran POV. Although Curran is just out of bed when this takes place, he still has his usual drive and power and he has every right to be mad for how his people treated his mate while he was lying in...more
Heather C
Loved this! We get Curran and Kate's POV this time and several sweet moments between them. Also, a kick-ass fight between Lion and Bear.
Bonnie
I read this short little novella (free!) immediately after book 4 and it worked out perfect because this story acts almost like a deleted scene, just from Curran’s point of view. It’s actually the perfect accompaniment following the completion of book 4. Even though book 4 didn’t leave you with any lingering questions, this novella provided additional scenes that answered questions you didn’t know you had.
✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
Loved it!! It's so great to have Curran's POV...it adds so much to the story. I wasn't happy about him and Mahon fighting but I understood why. I'm just glad that everything worked out.
Duchess Nicole
I love reading Curran's point of view! Some reviews say that they don't get to see as much of Curran in the Kate Daniels series as they would like. Well, here you go! This is only one scene, but I think its a really important one to the series, and would definitely suggest reading it before Magic Slays. Fathers and Sons sheds some light on what happens after Curran wakes to find Kate being challenged continually by pack members. Need a dose of some Curran rage and manliness? This is it!
Marianne
Ah, the things you will do, and the people you will ass-kick for your mate's sake...
Katharine Kimbriel
Occasionally, one half of "Ilona Andrews" (the male half) writes up a scene or two from the Kate Daniels' books that are from Curran's point of view. This time it's like a short story, giving us what happened after Curran woke up in MAGIC SLAYS.

The council scene shows just how different shapeshifters are, and why Kate always feels like a referee among homicidal children. Insanely strong homicidal children.
Liv
Would there be anything that I don't like where Curran is involved?? A resounding NOOOOO NEVER!!!

I absolutely loved it!! Loved seeing Curran taking control of the pack at the meeting and seeing everyone literally shiver, cower and shrivel before his majesty. And then of course there was the fighting scene in which he settled his score with Mahon regarding Kate.

Awesome addition from Curran's POV!!
Jan
Liked it better than the first Curran POV. Mostly because it's companion scenes instead of the same scenes from a different POV. I always wondered what happened on that Council meeting, and am glad and grateful I got to see it.

But also because the writing seemed more polished, and it was a complete short story, not only a scene.
Michelle Tempted By Books
I had wondered about Curran's state of mind during this pivotal moment. The whole situation with him being essentially in a coma for 2 weeks and Kate being left to fend off all takers. I LOVED this one. II really felt Curran's affection and pride for Kate. Too bad the Curran POVs are so short.
Awilk -never sleeps-
I love Curran. Anything to read about him and Kate will be loved by me. I also find that stories from Curran's point of view to be so funny, even when the topic is serious. He really does work on animal instincts half the time. What a great way to spend a few minutes of a break.
Carolyn F.
Short story. 20 pages. Before I realized that Ilona Andrews is actually a husband and wife duo, I saw these short stories and thought, "Ugh, why does he think he can write too?" Well, if he truly wrote these full short stories, he is a very good writer. Loved it.
Shannon C.
I love the Kate Daniels urban fantasy series. This is a free Curran POV short that supplements the series.

Thanks to the authors for the freebie. I love the Curran POVs and it's great to get a dose of Kate and Curran while waiting on the next full length book.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I love when Gordon comes out to play and writes Curran from a man's point of view. This was a good one about Curran's anger with everyone, especially his foster father for allowing Kate to be challenged. I found this snippet - short story to be a delight.
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief im not actually mad!
this was also really good - not as good as Curran in my opinion but still entertaining and fun
<3 Derek and Barabas.
Coyora Dokusho
Read at least (3) times.

I like Curran. He's funny, and what he thinks in his brain is funny.
Marsha
Again - all too short. I really enjoy reading these little snippets from Curran's point of view.
Butterfly
Oh yes, Daddy is home and he ain't happy. Playtime was over. lol Curran !!!
Alexa
Amy A
I really like Curran's POV shorts that Ilona Andrews puts out. For me, they really enhannce the reading experience of the whole series. I also like getting Curran's POV without re-writing all the novels. Here, we get an extension of Magic Bleeds.

We really get to see Curran's "explosion" at the Pack for their treatment of Kate after the events at the end of Magic Bleeds. This section in Magic Bleeds is not really glossed over, but obviously we don't have all the insight being that the main serie...more
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
These are so tough to give a rating to - on the one hand I really enjoy thses snippets of Curran's POV (and all of the other free snippets on the Ilona Andrews website), and I really want more of it (which is why I willingly paid to re-read something I've read before for free and that I finished in about 15-20 minutes), on the other hand, like it says in the description - this is really short.

Not that I'm complaining - like I said, I love reading these and I lurk on their blog daily to find mor...more
Ally
The second volume of Curran POV takes place after the events of MAGIC BLEEDS. Infuriated by Kate’s treatment at the hands of the Pack, the Beast Lord demands an explanation. When words fail, claws and fangs must do the talking.

I got Fathers and Sons for free from here and you should too or buy it from Amazon, it’s super cheap. Either way it’s a great read. Fathers and Sons is mainly about Curran and Mahon, but it also involves the Alphas of the Pack. It basically takes off after Curran wakes up...more
Amyiw
Good POV from Curran when he wakes up at the end of Magic Bites. It is kind of like reading a missing chapter. (view spoiler)...more
Mihir

Full review over at Bastard Books blog

ANALYSIS: One of my favorite author pairs are Ilona Andrews, the husband-wife team of Ilona & Andrew Gordon who have shot up within the crowded ranks of the urban fantasy sub-genre. They did it by putting out one the best series currently being written, the Kate Daniels “Magic” series. There have been five books along with three short stories out so far. I have reviewed them previously and they can be found over at Fantasy Book Critic.

What I like about...more
Natasha McNeely
Fathers and Sons is the second addition to the Curran's POV series, written by Gordon Andrews as bonus content for readers. This series contains scenes from the Kate Daniels series, written from Curran's POV, rather than Kate's.

This book takes place in Magic Bleeds, when Curran is enraged by the treatment his people put Kate through during his unconscious state. Most of them he could deal with, but when it comes to the one who is his father figure, words are not enough and it turns into a flurry...more
Karissa
This is another Curran point of view short story. I love these and love hearing from Curran's point of view. This Curran POV was different from the first one in that it tells one short story and not a whole bunch of snippets from Curran's POV. It is pretty short, but I had fun reading it and thought it was worth the read.

This story takes place after the events that happen in Magic Slays. Curran has awoken from his injuries and is pissed at how the pack treated Kate while he was unconscious. Almo...more
Melyzard
I love the Kate Daniels series, with the deep love of a vaguely feminist bibliophile for a strong, interesting, realistic female-led complex story. There are hundreds of reasons I love Kate Daniels, her world, her friends and enemies (and frenemies), her trials, her triumphs, her failures. One of the reasons I love the Kate Daniels series is the fascinating characterization of Curran the Beast Lord, and the mature and well-developed relationship he has with Kate.

That being said, this collection...more
Cheryl
Though there were a few editing issues I decided who cares. It was .99 or free depending upon how you obtained the book. The most important part was getting my Curran fix before Tuesday, 5/31/2011. I am both excited and apprehensive about Magic Slays but, that will not keep me away from it. I love this series and I love the story. I am NOT a romance fan but, these books have enough intrigue, supernatural jockeying for power and excellent fight scenes that I am a devoted follower of the Andrews'...more
Melissa Hayden
Curran wakes from his two week coma to Kate at his side and to hear another has come to challenge her. He has other plans and goes to the Alpha Pack Council meeting. Then Curran tells Mohan, his adoptive father, to stay. Curran knows this is it, they need to have this out about Kate now.

This is why Curran is THE Beast Lord. Right up front. This is not the banter and fun witted man we see with Kate. This is the Beast Lord taking control of the Pack and the way things will go, his way.

In this one...more
  • Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4)
  • Magic Graves (Night Huntress, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #0.5)
  • An Apple for the Creature (Kate Daniels, #5.3)
  • Hex Appeal (Phoenix Chronicles; The Shadowfae Chronicles, #4.5; Kate Daniels, #5.6; The Dresden Files, #11.9)
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
Curran, Vol. I  (Curran POV, #1) Curran; Magic Strikes Hot Tub Scene (Curran POV, #4) Kate's Daddy (Curran POV, #3) Curran; Fernando's (Curran POV, #5) Curran; On the Day of the Panty Dinner: Part 1 (Curran POV, #6)

“Still think she is worth it?” Mahon asked quietly.

“Of course. She is my mate.”

Mahon sighed. “So you decided then.”

“Do you think we’d be laying here bleeding in the snow if I wasn’t sure?”

“Good point.”
29 likes
“Mahon's wife stared down at us. Her hands went to her hips. "Which one of you idiots wants to explain to me what the hell is going on?"
With great effort I raised my arm and pointed in Mahon's general direction. "Him.”
16 likes