Start by marking “Me and My Ghoulfriends (Larue Donavan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Me and My Ghoulfriends (Larue Donavan, #1)

Me and My Ghoulfriends (Larue Donavan #1)

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  1,808 Ratings  ·  196 Reviews
By day, Larue Donavan is a down-to-earth bookstore owner. But by night, she's a psychic investigator dedicated to helping lost spirits find peace. Dead people won't leave her alone and Abraham Lincoln thinks he's in charge of her lovelife. Larue can handle ghosts and undead presidents. It's the living who drive her crazy.

When Callahan Weiss moves to town, the handsome new
Published April 10th 2011 (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Me and My Ghoulfriends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me and My Ghoulfriends

☺Trish
Jul 01, 2014 ☺Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
The story took awhile to get moving, but as this is the first book in the Larue Donavan series, that's okay with me. The characters are likeable and funny, especially the main character - bookshop owner and ghost hunter - Larue Donavan and I never mind when the "villain" is over-the-top "bad", as Brianna is, the mean & conniving sort of person that readers love to hate (and we also cheer when those baddies get their just desserts).
I look forward to more in-depth character development, more s
Kimberly [Come Hither Books]
There were a few things that made this novel stand out. The supporting characters are strong, particularly Mindy, the best friend character. Friendship is an important theme here, and almost every scene focuses on the bonds between Larue and her friends, both ghostly and human. And in a genre where friendship is frequently pushed to the side, that makes Me and My Ghoulfriends something special, particularly if you enjoy a lighter chick lit feel.

But there are still too many weaknesses here for me
Destiny
May 28, 2011 Destiny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me and My Ghoulfriends was a wonderfully entertaining read! Main character, Larue, runs a bookstore, but she can also see ghosts and assist them in crossing over. This creates a hilarious backdrop as dead President Abraham Lincoln, amongst others, emerges as one of her matchmakers for her currently non-existent love life.

Soon things pick up when a new coffee shop opens up next to her store and as Larue (and her tag-along "ghoulfriends") begin dating the coffee shop owner, Callahan. Larue encount
Marsha Spohn
Reviewed at Haunted Bookshelf

Have you ever read a story that you basically liked but there were enough small things that kept you from loving it? That’s kind of where I stand with Me And My Ghoulfriends. This is the first novel by Rose Pressey that I’ve read, so I may simply be getting used to a new to me author’s style. She has many other series, I checked them out on Amazon, that sound interesting so I’m wondering if I started with the wrong one. Perhaps I should have begun with something mor
April
This was a very interesting read. I would also like to say it highlights my point about finding the right narrator for the audiobook. This book has some dialogue that can seem juvenile if not presented properly. The narration was performed in a mature manner and helped elevate the book. I read another series with similar dialogue but with a very youthful narrator, that was unsuccessful all around. This is why it is crucial to have the right combination of story and read for the audio. It really ...more
Adriane
So this might be a hard review, I had a lot of conflicting emotions during this book. The beginning was difficult to get into, I had a lot of trouble with the writing style. I'm not a writer, I do visual stuff, so I guess I can't be too picky, but I do know what styles draw me in and which keep me out and why. For this one the style was a bit pedestrian and she used the word "glare" like every 5 seconds when referring to the character of Brianna. So like 90% of the book I was sighing over and ju ...more
T.W. Brown
One of my guilty pleasures are the books of Kim Harrison, Charlaine Harris, H.P. Mallory, and a few others. As a guy, I realize that I am not exactly the target demographic for these authors, but we all have our weaknesses. Me and My Ghoulfriends by Rose Pressey caught my eye and I decided to give it a whirl.

The story is fun, engaging, and reads clean (bravo to the editor!). Those are all positives. This obviously serves as the intor to the series so it is important to lay out some character tra
Caity
Nov 06, 2011 Caity rated it it was ok
I wish I could have liked this book, its summary had everything in a book that I like, but I really didn't.

It wasn't memorable at all, and for everything that happens in the book, I feel like nothing really happened at all. Like most of the book wasn't spent sitting around thinking 'oh too bad, I guess I'll just go about my normal life.' Most of the excitement happens at the very end and kind of makes me want to read the next one, but I won't bother since the middle part was so dull.

I like the m
Mindy (Naughty Book Snitch)
First I don’t understand why this is listed under “romance” because there were only 2 kisses in the entire book and only one of them was good until the phone rang. In my personal opinion I do not consider that to be romance. Second, this story could have been so much better. I felt it was all over the place and I kept wondering where it was going. I was interested at first but it just fell flat and it never went anywhere. All of Larue’s friends were more interesting to read about. I wanted Larue ...more
Tasha
Oct 20, 2011 Tasha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
The story was cute but should only have been 100 or so pages, not 300+. At least half of the book was made up of the protagonist retelling the events of the previous five paragraphs to her best friend.
And were the mean comments from the "heroine" really necessary? Here I'm referring to the scene with the "chubby waitress" who, according to inner monologue, looks like she enjoys the restaurant's food a little too much, and is probably only smiling because she wants eat their meals.
I'm hoping thi
Roberta
This is the first in the Larue Donovan series. Larue is a bookstore owner and also at night she is a psychic investigator. She has several ghosts who are always with her, one being Abraham Lincoln. Yes that Abe.

Larue meets the new guy in town (Callahan Weiss) and he is the coffee/pastry shop owner. he really is starting to like Laure and unfortunately is put under a spell by another woman, who happen to be a witch. So starts the hunt for Larue to figure out what is going on.

I will be ordering th
Lorre
Jul 04, 2012 Lorre rated it really liked it
I got Me and My Ghoulfriends as a kindle freebie a while ago. I already like Pressey's Rylie Cruz series and I really wanted to read more from her.

This book has the same fresh, cute style that I know and love about the author.
I really loved Larue, it was funny to read about her "gang" of ghosts hanging around all the time and giving remarks on everything she does. Yep, her own peanut gallery 24/7!

But apparently it's not only her ghosts meddling in Larue's life...
Megan
Jul 21, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute light read. I bought it b/c it was .99 on Amazon and pretty well reviewed. While it is nothing ground breaking, the characters are cute and situations funny. It is a quick read that won't stick with you but passes a couple of hours well enough.

Nanci de Suffren
The writing was more the calibre of a high school student than an established author. The story was dragged out and the descriptive vocabulary was uncomfortably mediocre. If the characters had all been high school teenagers this might have worked.
Jessica Cowgill
Dec 16, 2012 Jessica Cowgill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
couldn't put it down and when I did I kept thinking about it..LOL. great book!
Grace
Mar 06, 2017 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the authors writing style. Light reads for when you want entertainment. I love Larue's ghostly companions in this series.
Michelle Leah Olson
Me and my Ghoulfriends – Larue Donavan series Book #1
Author: Rose Pressey

Synopsis:
There's always fun to be had on a ghoul's night out.
By day, Larue Donavan is a down-to-earth bookstore owner. But by night, she's a world-renowned psychic investigator dedicated to helping lost spirits find peace. Dead people won't leave her alone and Abraham Lincoln thinks he's in charge of her lovelife.
Larue can handle ghosts and undead presidents. It's the living that drive her crazy. When Callahan Weiss moves
Sharon Tyler
Me and My Ghoulfriends is the first book in the Larue Donavan series by Rose Pressey. Larue Donavan is a bookstore owner with a secret. On her nights and weekends she often moolights as a ghost hunter, and more often than not she brings her work home with her. Dead people just won't leave her alone and Abraham Lincoln thinks he's in charge of her lovelife. Larue can handle ghosts and undead presidents, it's dealing with the living that is driving her crazy. The handsome Callahan Weiss moves to t ...more
Karen
Apr 02, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
I read the novels of Rose Pressey when I am looking for something to make me feel good that is quirky and light. The characters are always fun and seem almost to good to be true. This is no exception and has just given me another heroine to root for. The characters each have a life and point of view that is unique and makes it easy to identify them. The story has an interesting angle that I have never seen before, famous ghosts, which can give a light-hearted look into the past. Things could get ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Larue Donovan owns bookstore and is also a psychic helping dead spirits find peace. She can see ghosts and one of them has latched on to her-Abraham Lincoln. He tries to manage her love life. He even follows her on her investigations at times.

The story starts with her trying to rid a house of a ghost which is that of a Confederate soldier. She helps him move on to the Light.

She has a friend named Mindy who tells her about a new coffee shop. Brianna is a woman that Larue doesn't get along with.
Mad about
Jan 12, 2013 Mad about rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witches, sci-fi, ghosts
In Me and my Ghoulfriends we meet Larue, small business owner who's unlucky in love...and a ghost hunter without the cool suits and catchy song.

In her town you either run your own business or work as a number in someone elses so when her grandparents wanted to shut their bookstore she combined her love of reading with a new business venture and Book Nook was under new management.

Life was the same day in day out. She loved her shop but everyone needs something more and after some disasterous date
Nikki Wilde
Nov 16, 2011 Nikki Wilde rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was so excited about this book until I started reading. At about 27% I was getting so frustrated. Finally, just wanted to finish it I was skipping paragraphs and sometimes pages. It didn't seem to matter because if I'd leave off on them discussing lunch I'd pick up three pages later on them finally eating lunch. I was so bored. Even skipping pages was tedious and annoying. I really really dislike writing unfavorable things but I was so annoyed.

I didn't care what happened to Larue or Callahan.
Kimberly
Oct 09, 2015 Kimberly rated it it was ok
Two stars to rate this book as "okay". This is a ghost paranormal, which comes off as a bit naive and unintelligent in comparison to other ghost and paranormal stories of today. The main character, Larue Donovan, is a ghost hunter and is written as contradictingly clueless -- she believes in ghosts because she sees, hears, talks to and interacts with them, but cannot seem to believe in witches or witchcraft. Furthermore, why write a ghost story with clueless ghosts who are awkwardly ignorant of ...more
Annette M Guerriero Nishimoto
Today's review is on Me and My Ghoulfriends by Rose Pressey

As you will see, I have read Me and My Ghoulfriends after I have read Ghouls Night Out. This of course is the wrong order, but none the less entertaining. I must say however, I liked Ghouls Night Out a bit more. If I had read them in the correct order I would have found some things a bit repetitive, but that's what made the second book a good stand alone book to begin with.

In Me and My Ghoulfriends, we are introduced to Larue Donavan. A
Lorraine Sears
A really cute story about paranormal goings on in the seemingly normal town of Magnolia, Kentucky.

Larue has always been able to speak to the dead. Lost spirits who have yet to go to the light. And she's been lucky enough to meet some interesting old souls along the way, including President Abraham Lincoln, who's taken quite a shine to her and doesn't seem interested in moving on just yet.

Running her bookshop by day and spending most weekends on some kind of ghost hunt or another Larue, along w
Candace Wynell McHann
Oh wait…was there really a plot to this book? Wait…oh! There it is…I think…

So I know that first little line is dripping with snarky sassiness, but let me say that this is story was not bad. But it wasn’t fantastic. It was well, mediocre. I would prefer leaning towards either end of the scale in determining if this book was good or bad. But the scales of my book review justice did not want to tip in either direction.

The thing that drove me a little bonkers about this book was that this girl reall
Samantha
Aug 13, 2015 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cheryl Landmark
Actual rating 3.5

Overall, this was a fun, enjoyable read with a lot of humour and a lot of emphasis on Larue's friendship with her best friend Mindy and her ghostly entourage. Mindy was a great character and the interaction between her and Larue provided some laugh-out-loud funny moments, particularly when Mindy persuaded a reluctant Larue to attend a couple of her pole fitness classes.

It took a while for the story to get going. The first two-thirds of the book spent a lot of time dwelling on La
Teressa
Apr 24, 2015 Teressa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed listening to “Me and My Ghoulfriends”, it was a great start to a good series. I thought the characters, minus Breanna, were very likeable. This was a fun paranormal listen. It was light and easy to listen to. It also had a different take on the paranormal theme which was good. It had a “Ghost Whisperer” feel to it that I liked. I also liked the ghosts in this book, especially Abe.

My favorite character was the protagonist, Larue, she was a neat, likeable character. The story was just go
Noninuna
Nov 14, 2012 Noninuna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-fiction
Before i start saying harsh things about the book, i have to remind myself, there is a reason why my bookshelf doesn't has paranormal book at all. It's just not my cup of tea. or may be i haven't found the one that i like yet.
i found the book, despite being a paranormal one, kept going on & on about romance between Larue & Callahan and the clash between Larue & Brianna. At one point, i felt lost. i thought i had the idea of what to expect but didn't know where was the book leading m
Romance Blogger E...: Rose Pressey interview & giveaway. 1 3 Aug 09, 2011 07:38AM
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
  • A Tale of 3 Witches
  • Ordinary Angels
  • Great Hexpectations (Dulcie O'Neil, #3)
  • How [Not] to Kiss a Prince (Cindy Eller, #2)
  • Keep Me Ghosted (Sophie Rhodes Ghostly Romance #1)
  • Mark of the Witch (Boston Witches, #1)
  • Witch Weigh
  • Hacienda Moon (PathSeekers, #1)
  • A Charming Potion (Magical Cures Mystery, #2.5)
  • Heart of the Witch
  • White Witch (Coven, #1)
  • Strange Neighbors (Strange Neighbors, #1)
  • 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover (Hex #1)
  • Pretty Witches All in a Row
  • Serious Leigh (Literal Leigh Romance Diaries, #2)
Forever Charmed available now!

Rock 'n' Roll is Undead, No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells, How to Date a Werewolf, and Me and My Ghoulfriends are available on Kindle, Nook, and Smashwords. Only 99 cents.

Rose Pressey enjoys writing quirky and fun novels with a paranormal twist. The paranormal has always captured her interest. The thought of finding answers to the unexplained fascinates her.

When she's n
More about Rose Pressey...

Larue Donavan (4 books)
  • Ghouls Night Out (Larue Donavan, #2)
  • The Ghoul Next Door (Larue Donavan, #3)
  • Ghoul of My Dream (Larue Donavan #4)