Start by marking “Rowan” as Want to Read:
Rowan

Rowan

*Please note - this book has been unpublished for the time being for some improvements. Thanks!*
Published April 25th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Rowan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rowan

UnEnchanted by Chanda HahnPrince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisThe Fallen Star by Jessica SorensenAlien Species Intervention by J.K. AccinniThe Mind Readers by Lori Brighton
Free Kindle Books (YA)
268th out of 275 books — 433 voters
Across the Universe by Beth RevisA Million Suns by Beth RevisThe Last of the Firedrakes by Farah OomerbhoyFor Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana PeterfreundThe Mayfair Moon by J.A. Redmerski
Books That Have Moon/Stars On The Cover
226th out of 294 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

Oct 20, 2014 Sarah rated it it was ok
Oh, it's just so sad when I see an idea with so much potential that falls short. The premise of the book is great. A high school student who finds out that her missing father is actually from another world and might not be dead (as she previously believed) goes on a quest to save him.

Unfortunately, how this story is told doesn't live up to such a great premise. Here is what kept me from enjoying this book.

1. The characters are all one dimensional and predictable. Our main character starts out al
Rachel Householder
Aug 12, 2016 Rachel Householder rated it it was ok
I just read a book with hundreds of characters I know nothing about. And the fact is, I wanted to know about them! The idea behind this book was great, but slow down and tell the story!

The crew spent 43 days in combat training, and we knew more about the time they spent weeding a garden.

Without giving away spoilers, the revelations weren't surprising, even though the idea was great, because everything was surprising as it was missing the proper backstory. Three worlds and twice as many kingdom
Melissa
No Rating as I did not finish this one. I only got 6% in to the book. I usually give them more of a chance but this one started off so ridiculous that there was no way I was going to believe anyhting about the main character. We start off with a high school girl who sees her mother drugged by a strange man. She then calmly sits with this man and he tells her that he is from another realm, he is a dragon and her father was also from this realm. She shows little reaction while her mother still ...more
Stephanie Keyes
Jan 10, 2012 Stephanie Keyes rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Rowan is the story of Kelly Foster, who seems like your average high school student. After all, she has all the characteristics of a typical teenager. At least as I remember exhibiting them! She manipulates her mother, struggles with socialization, and kicks butt at basketball. Yet there’s one things that sets Kelly apart: her Dad died and he’s never coming back.

That’s what she believes, anyway, until an orange Converse-wearing man shows up at her house and knocks her mother unconscious. He quic
Rachel
Aug 24, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
I found the story to be exciting enough to read it from beginning to end in a very short while. The story itself was good - and I enjoyed it.

The idea of a girl suddenly being asked to join a boy on an adventure who claims to be a dragon caught my attention - add in Atlantis and a magical world, and I was willing to give it a shot. It was a fun story that hummed along at a good pace so you stayed around in spite of the many grammar errors and abrupt scene changes, unless you really get offended b
Nikki Bywater
Mar 13, 2012 Nikki Bywater rated it liked it
Kelly Foster is a teenage high school student. Ever since her father disappeared she has stopped caring much about life. But that could change when a dragon called Jacinth disguised as a human turns up at Kelly’s house and tells Kelly, that he can help Kelly find her father. Jacinth tells Kelly that her father is from another world, a magical world called Rowan. Kelly’s father is one of the three last men who can wield the magic. They are called the Scimerians or the shimmering ones.

Kelly start
Elizabeth
Mar 21, 2012 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Don't be fooled by the spectacular vision of Stonehenge on the cover. She's there all of thirty seconds. They would have done better to show an orange dragon and an angry blonde 16 year old. Misrepresentation aside, I agree with other reviewers: great idea, poorly presented. The writer's style is juvenile. "And then this happened, and then that happened, and then we slept, and then blah, blah, blah...." I got this free, but don't spend more than $1 on it. Best thing going for it is it's ...more
Nancy
Jul 19, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
I think this is a great first book for a new young author. There were a few sections that were hard to determine at first who was actually speaking. But I know the author and was told personally that she had not had the book edited or proofread. Knowing that information, I think she did a great job. Her descriptions of her characters and the scenery are graphic and beautiful. And the reason behind the whole story surprised me. I give this book a thumbs up!!
Lauren Howell
May 07, 2016 Lauren Howell rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I know this book is less than up to par. It's my first and I had no idea what I was doing (obviously), no money for an editor, etc. I'm not saying this to say "woe is me". I'm just throwing the truth out there. I am currently reworking "Rowan", it will be longer and hopefully better put together and believable.
Brandi
Feb 28, 2012 Brandi rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
0 stars.

I could not finish this book due to high number of errors that would/could be fixed by simply reading what you just typed. Even spell-check would find and fix these errors.
So bad and so sad that this story published in this state. I probably won't read anything else by Ms. Howell.
Selena
Apr 18, 2012 Selena rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Nice quick read, great story line, could possibly have been drawn out more for a longer book. My only issue is with the editing, there's so many spaces missing, words in the wrong order and such like which breaks the flow of reading.
Molly
May 18, 2012 Molly marked it as to-read
Shelves: kindle, abandoned
BLARGH! I can't read through the typos on the kindle. So distracting. Thought that a good plot would be worth it, but at 15% and 300+ errors I gave up before I threw the kindle across the room!
Travissa Hooks
Travissa Hooks rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
kiraniumbra
kiraniumbra rated it did not like it
Jun 28, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2012
Shari*LoveMiKindle*
Shari*LoveMiKindle* rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Harmony T.
Harmony T. rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Christy
Christy rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2012
Lauren Howell
Jun 14, 2011 Lauren Howell rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Mary C Slutz
Mary C Slutz rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Darcy
Darcy rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Pattie Boynton
Pattie Boynton rated it did not like it
Feb 05, 2015
M
M rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2013
Mandy
Mandy rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Jaanus
Jaanus rated it did not like it
Jul 20, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it it was ok
Apr 05, 2012
Taegan
Taegan rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Kevin E Yake
Kevin E Yake rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Writer, Reader, Geek to the Core, Pen & Molskine Hoarder, Archaeologist, Lover of the color Orange, Love Anything Mysterious and Spooky.

I have two self-published books out so far.

I have two BAs - one in World Missions and one in Anthropology.

I have an MSc in Forensic Archaeology and Crime Scene Investigation from the U.K.

I've also been to Canada, Guam, Mexico, Peru, and South Africa (where I w
More about Lauren Howell...