I Am Maru

I Am Maru

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Meet Maru!

This round, adorable Scottish Fold cat may be an internet sensation, but he knows how to keep his celebrity status from going to his fluffy head . . . mostly. Maru and his owner, mugumogu, give readers a peek into the low-key life of the world’s most famous cat. See all his favorite hiding places—trash cans, cupboards, cereal boxes . . . if it’s cozy, he’s there—...more
Hardcover, First U.S. Edition, 96 pages
Published August 23rd 2011 by William Morrow (first published 2009)

Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollPuss in Boots by Charles Perrault
Great "Cat" Books
36th out of 771 books — 378 voters
Norwegian Wood by Haruki MurakamiThe Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki MurakamiKafka on the Shore by Haruki MurakamiBattle Royale by Koushun TakamiHard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
Best Japanese Books
187th out of 370 books — 1,622 voters

More lists with this book...

karen

okay, so i am just learning about this maru-cat. i have seen plenty of his escapades on the internet in the past, but i had no idea it was the same damn cat until dana schooled me in internet-cat-trivia, and i kind of fell in love with this book.

so, fine.

i understand and accept that maru is cute, but here's the thing. i have a cat. her name is maggie. and she is really freaking cute. and i do not have the facebook, so i am going to use this space to show off how freaking adorable she is and hope...more
Bonnie
I had seen the Maru youtube video of this super cute cat running and sliding into a box but I had no idea it was this Maru cat I've heard so much about until this book. It was adorable and I loved it. Maru is a pretty cute cat, although I think my cats could give him a run for his money.

That's Buns.

That's Binky.

They're sisters.

They like to cuddle. Bad camera angle... Binky isn't that fat. Okay, maybe she is.

That's Reindeer Buns.

That's Santa Binky.
Binky REALLY hated her Santa suit. And it was a...more
Gretchen
I would have given this five stars had Maru personally delivered my copy to me. Those are just my exacting standards when it comes to photo books about cats who run blogs.

Seriously though, it's Maru! If you're like me and you love Maru and cats in general, the chances are high that you'll really like this book (especially if you find Maru's blog difficult to navigate even with Google translate switched on) but if you've never heard of or dislike Maru and/or you don't care for cats, buying this b...more
Claire
So, I've become a bit obsessed with a Japanese cat named Maru. You can follow his adventures on the web at I am Maru. It's like reading a little picture book each day that always improves my mood.

As for the book, I might've rated it higher if it were physically larger. A lot of the photographs are actually smaller than what I see on the web, but I still rather enjoyed it. Many of the photos are taken from the early days of the blog, new to me, but I'd say mugumogu's photography has gotten better...more
Noran Miss Pumkin
Maru book finally coming to the USA!!! available on pre-order. hope it comes in a box!! LOL
McGuffy Morris
Maru is a four year old Scottish Fold cat, in spite of his traditional, upright cat "prick-ears". He and his owner live in Japan. The name "Maru" means "round". When his owner adopted him as a kitten, she felt that everything about him seemed round.

The book is written as if Maru is talking and his owner, as well. It is written in both English and Japanese. Following life with Maru, from kittenhood through the present day, there are numerous photos. We see Maru's many expressions and moods as he...more
Julie
If this book had been solely a book of photographs of Maru, I think I would have given it 5 stars. Maru, the cat, is a natural star. I found myself laughing aloud hard over and over at some of the terrific photos of this cat. I can't say I've ever found myself laughing aloud at a book quite the way I did with this one which is the main reason I gave it the rating I did. Maru is irrestistable and many of his expressions and antics are truly priceless! Kudos to the author for the time spent photog...more
Xanthi
If you love Maru, you will love this book.
If you love cats, but don't know who Maru is, you will like this book...and then check out the Maru video clips on YouTube and then love the book.
I liked how the text and captions were in both Japanese and English. They are brief, and gentle with their humour. It was especially nice to find out some background to Maru the cat and what he is like to live with, beyond what we see in the videos, of course.
The photos themselves made me laugh, smile and say '...more
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Maru!!!

Who doesn't love Maru?!!

Maru is the kitty who became an internet sensation by sliding into boxes. He's awesome!!

In this book we learn about Maru's early days and his love for boxes, bags, sinks, bathtubs, under the couch, on the couch, on the table, in the garbage bin, and loads of other places. We also learn that he can be a naughty kitty sometimes, but how could you stay mad at that face?

If you love Maru then this book is for you.

And if you don't know who Maru then this is a great intro...more
On May 24, 2007, a little fluffy Scottish Fold kitten named Maru was born. A few short months later, he had become a big fluffy Scottish Fold cat, and was world famous for his propensity for sliding into boxes, a trait chronicled by his housemate mugumogu on YouTube. This copiously illustrated volume in English and Japanese reveals the feline superstar’s private life, from his complicated relationship with bags (a bug once bit him on the nose when he was investigating one, so now he treats them...more
Tim Niland
It's not impossible not to love the wonderful cat Maru, star of a wonderful series of YouTube videos and even his own blog! The book collects a lot of the blog posts and has interesting commentary form Maru's owner and even the cat himself! Learn all about Maru's favorite toys, hiding places and more. This book is pretty silly, but for a cat lover like me it is wonderful therapy to watch a cat having fun. It's a wonderful addition to the video series and sure to charm cat lovers everywhere.
Clodjee
C'est un livre de table tout à fait charmant. L'auteur explique un peu l'histoire de ce scottish fold tigré marron à chaussettes et gants blancs, né le 24 mai 2007. Il lui donne la parole et lui fait raconter de nombreux anecdotes sur sa vie de félin, ses lubies, ses coups de coeur. Bon, les textes n'ont pas vraiment d'importance puisque ce sont les photos qui font le charme de ce livre illustré. Ce chat est vraiment mignon. Je suis sûr que vous craquerez pour lui.

Voir mon commentaire complet su...more
Kyla
I was disappointed with this collection about the internet's most famous cat. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but this was so disjointed and unoriginal that I feel cheated. If I'd wanted to see unconnected bits of blog postings and videos, I would've gone to the author's blog or YouTube channel and picked segments and sentences at random. (Sorry, Maru! There's only so much that being cute can do for you.)
Jen
Okay, you don't really read this. It's more of a picture book with some cute captions and lots of pictures of Maru. Some of them are his kitten pictures. This is a must for fans of Maru's You Tube videos.
Jenny
Aug 08, 2011 Jenny marked it as to-read
If you've never watched Maru on youtube or Cuteoverload.com you're in for a treat!
First Second Books
Supercalifragilistically adorable? No, it's cute like burning.
Judy
Cute photos but text is meh at best. Until reading this I didn't notice that 95% of Maru's appeal is his box videos. He doesn't really have a distinct "personality" like other internet cats and, since videos don't translate well in book form, this was essentially just yet another cute cat book. Not bad, just not an Henri or Grumpy Cat book.
Joe!
I own two copies of this. that's how good it is.
Cara
3.5

While I love Maru and I had no expectations other than I needed an overload of cuteness, I am Maru was just okay. The Japanese and English text was cute (I got to brush up on my Japanese while learning about one of my favorite cats ^_− ). But other than that, it was just okay. I'm glad I just borrowed it from my library. Not something I'd want to own. I prefer watching Maru on the intertubes.
Meg
Jan 18, 2013 Meg rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: cat lovers, fans of viral videos
Shelves: cats
Fans of Maru's YouTube videos will also enjoy this adorable print book about him. It includes a plethora of "anerable" still photos and information about his likes, dislikes, and personality.

Another fun feature of this volume is that is bi-lingual in Japanese. Half the fun is reading the translated-to-English text. Also worth noting that this is a quality, high-resolution hardback book.
kelly
How can you not love Maru?!!

Purchased at Kinokuniya (Japanese Edition with English added?) in San Francisco, CA
Tofu Fairy
meh...I loved all the pics but the book was basically a regurgitation of the vlogs from youtube with not much new info or anything. There was lots of repetitiveness through-out the book too, where the author repeated herself. The translation from Japanese to English was spotty too, with some being hard to understand and all of it sounding very forced and unnatural.
Anna Rebecca
I've been in love with Maru since I found him on YouTube! Imagine my surprise when I found his book in at my public library! I couldn't pass it up and I'm glad I didn't. I really enjoyed reading about Maru and his owner. It was great. The pictures were wonderful and extremely cute! This book is so much fun and such an enjoyable read, I'd recommened it for everyone!
Emily
AMAZING. I wasn't sure how much I could get out of this, having already viewed a ridiculous number of Maru youtube videos an embarrassing number of times.. but nay! From the multi-page "Funny Face" gallery, to the diary entries, to the A-DORABLE Maru kitten pictures, this book is amazing. Probably in my top 5 cat books of all time (no shame).
Eyehavenofilter
I first found Maru on Utube and was fascinated. Not only by the cat but the people who live with Maru. They obviously love this animal. I fell right in love too. The photos are charming and with the roundest cat face you have ever seen, Maru will win you over. I couldn't help myself from laughing.
Molly G
I complained to my bookstore co-worker (who does a lot of the inventory ordering) that the animals section was too disproportionate: a whole shelf of dog books and barely third of a shelf of cat books. More cat books, please! Shortly thereafter, this book arrives! Pleased to be spreading the Maru.
Karen & Gerard
This is a picture book about the popular YouTube cat, Maru. The author also has a blog and many of the pictures in the book are from that. It has good color photos of the cat and was an enjoyable quick read. Maru lives in Japan and so the book is in Japanese and English.
Cheryl
This is one cat which is unlike any other. Maru loves sliding into any open boxes -size does not matter- or paper bags, enjoys playing with little toys and knocking over cat grass pots. It's so easy to fall for him, simply too adorable! Also, the pictures turn out so well!
Lori
What a fun book! This book is based on the Maru, the You-Tube star cat who fit into a box. He's an adorable yet mischievious cat. Mugumogu, Maru's Japanese mother and author, writes and photographs a good story written in both English and Japanese.
  • Cat Versus Human
  • Cats are Weird and More Observations
  • Stuff On My Cat: The Book
  • I Can Has Cheezburger?: A LOLcat Colleckshun
  • Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home
  • The Devious Book for Cats: A Parody
  • Casper the Commuting Cat: The True Story of the Cat who Rode the Bus and Stole our Hearts
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 6
  • Simon's Cat
  • The Cat Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on Lifetime Maintenance (Quirk Books)
  • The Nine Emotional Lives of Cats: A Journey into the Feline Heart
  • Bad Cat: 244 Not-So-Pretty Kitties and Cats Gone Bad
  • I Could Pee on This: And Other Poems by Cats
  • The Cat Who Came Back for Christmas- How a Cat Brought a Family the Gift of Love
  • The Fur Person
  • All I Need to Know I Learned from My Cat
  • The Character of Cats: The Origins, Intelligence, Behavior, and Stratagems of Felis silvestris catus
  • Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul: Stories of Feline Affection, Mystery and Charm
mugumogu is the online username for Maru’s owner. She and Maru live in Japan.
Source: http://www.harpercollins.ca/authors/3...
More about mugumogu...
I am Maru 2 The Box Cat Maru.