Start by marking “I Am Maru” as Want to Read:
I Am Maru

I Am Maru (I am Maru #1)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  707 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
Maru, the mischievous male Scottish Fold cat, is an international YouTube sensation—an adorable ball of fur with a penchant for finding remarkably cozy hiding places. Compiled by Maru’s owner, the user-named mugumogu, I Am Maru celebrates the unique abilities of this unforgettable feline contortionist with photographs and text, in English and Japanese. Cat lovers everywher ...more
Hardcover, First U.S. Edition, 96 pages
Published August 23rd 2011 by William Morrow (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Am Maru, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Maru

Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Great "Cat" Books
50th out of 1,046 books — 602 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Cat Lovers List
77th out of 719 books — 345 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
Jul 31, 2014 karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: les-animaux, kittehs

okay, so i am just learning about this maru-cat. i have seen plenty of his escapades on the internet in the past, but i had no idea it was the same damn cat until dana schooled me in internet-cat-trivia, and i kind of fell in love with this book.

so, fine.

i understand and accept that maru is cute, but here's the thing. i have a cat. her name is maggie. and she is really freaking cute. and i do not have the facebook, so i am going to use this space to show off how freaking adorable she is and hope
Bonnie
Nov 14, 2015 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
I had seen the Maru youtube video of this super cute cat running and sliding into a box but I had no idea it was this Maru cat I've heard so much about until this book. It was adorable and I loved it. Maru is a pretty cute cat, although I think my cats could give him a run for his money.

That's Buns.

That's Binky.

They're sisters.

They like to cuddle. Bad camera angle... Binky isn't that fat. Okay, maybe she is.

That's Reindeer Buns.

That's Santa Binky.
Binky REALLY hated her Santa suit. And it was a
Supernintendo
Apr 24, 2012 Supernintendo rated it really liked it
I would have given this five stars had Maru personally delivered my copy to me. Those are just my exacting standards when it comes to photo books about cats who run blogs.

Seriously though, it's Maru! If you're like me and you love Maru and cats in general, the chances are high that you'll really like this book (especially if you find Maru's blog difficult to navigate even with Google translate switched on) but if you've never heard of or dislike Maru and/or you don't care for cats, buying this b
Robert
Oct 25, 2014 Robert rated it really liked it
Maru is a cat, a Scottish Fold Brown Tabby to be exact. Maru means "Round" in Japanese, which is certainly an appropriate name for this cat. Maru is not a particularity affectionate cat, he doesn't like to cuddle or be held. Maru is a happy go lucky feline, a free spirit who likes to do his own thing, which mainly constitutes sitting in boxes, trash bins and paper bags. If you want to read a book all about a cat, then this is the book about a cat that you would want to read. It will make you fee ...more
Maya

Yup, I totally read this spent an hour today looking at captioned photos of Maru.
So adorable!

Amanda
Maru is so adorable. I've watched a few of his videos on youtube in the past and thought, they were so cute. This was a fun picture book that had some reposts of the author's blog stories that she wrote during Maru's first year with her. Its a great read for cat lovers and also, if you enjoy the Maru's videos.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Maru book finally coming to the USA!!! available on pre-order. hope it comes in a box!! LOL
Claire
Nov 01, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it
So, I've become a bit obsessed with a Japanese cat named Maru. You can follow his adventures on the web at I am Maru. It's like reading a little picture book each day that always improves my mood.

As for the book, I might've rated it higher if it were physically larger. A lot of the photographs are actually smaller than what I see on the web, but I still rather enjoyed it. Many of the photos are taken from the early days of the blog, new to me, but I'd say mugumogu's photography has gotten better
Hadrian
Mar 01, 2014 Hadrian rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Cat people
Recommended to Hadrian by: Maru the cat
Julie
If this book had been solely a book of photographs of Maru, I think I would have given it 5 stars. Maru, the cat, is a natural star. I found myself laughing aloud hard over and over at some of the terrific photos of this cat. I can't say I've ever found myself laughing aloud at a book quite the way I did with this one which is the main reason I gave it the rating I did. Maru is irrestistable and many of his expressions and antics are truly priceless! Kudos to the author for the time spent photog ...more
CrabbyPatty
Jul 12, 2016 CrabbyPatty rated it really liked it
Damn, I love that cat and that sweet little face (and I'm not a bit cat person). My daughter and I used to watch the Maru videos on Youtube CONSTANTLY and it's fun to read more about Maru and see some additional pics, although some of the pics are really SMALL.
Tim Niland
Aug 25, 2011 Tim Niland rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
It's not impossible not to love the wonderful cat Maru, star of a wonderful series of YouTube videos and even his own blog! The book collects a lot of the blog posts and has interesting commentary form Maru's owner and even the cat himself! Learn all about Maru's favorite toys, hiding places and more. This book is pretty silly, but for a cat lover like me it is wonderful therapy to watch a cat having fun. It's a wonderful addition to the video series and sure to charm cat lovers everywhere.
McGuffy Morris
Nov 08, 2011 McGuffy Morris rated it it was amazing
Maru is a four year old Scottish Fold cat, in spite of his traditional, upright cat "prick-ears". He and his owner live in Japan. The name "Maru" means "round". When his owner adopted him as a kitten, she felt that everything about him seemed round.

The book is written as if Maru is talking and his owner, as well. It is written in both English and Japanese. Following life with Maru, from kittenhood through the present day, there are numerous photos. We see Maru's many expressions and moods as he
Xanthi
Aug 27, 2012 Xanthi rated it really liked it
If you love Maru, you will love this book.
If you love cats, but don't know who Maru is, you will like this book...and then check out the Maru video clips on YouTube and then love the book.
I liked how the text and captions were in both Japanese and English. They are brief, and gentle with their humour. It was especially nice to find out some background to Maru the cat and what he is like to live with, beyond what we see in the videos, of course.
The photos themselves made me laugh, smile and say '
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Jul 26, 2012 Greta is Erikasbuddy rated it it was amazing
Maru!!!

Who doesn't love Maru?!!

Maru is the kitty who became an internet sensation by sliding into boxes. He's awesome!!

In this book we learn about Maru's early days and his love for boxes, bags, sinks, bathtubs, under the couch, on the couch, on the table, in the garbage bin, and loads of other places. We also learn that he can be a naughty kitty sometimes, but how could you stay mad at that face?

If you love Maru then this book is for you.

And if you don't know who Maru then this is a great intro
Mar 17, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
On May 24, 2007, a little fluffy Scottish Fold kitten named Maru was born. A few short months later, he had become a big fluffy Scottish Fold cat, and was world famous for his propensity for sliding into boxes, a trait chronicled by his housemate mugumogu on YouTube. This copiously illustrated volume in English and Japanese reveals the feline superstar’s private life, from his complicated relationship with bags (a bug once bit him on the nose when he was investigating one, so now he treats them ...more
Clodjee
Jun 17, 2013 Clodjee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
C'est un livre de table tout à fait charmant. L'auteur explique un peu l'histoire de ce scottish fold tigré marron à chaussettes et gants blancs, né le 24 mai 2007. Il lui donne la parole et lui fait raconter de nombreux anecdotes sur sa vie de félin, ses lubies, ses coups de coeur. Bon, les textes n'ont pas vraiment d'importance puisque ce sont les photos qui font le charme de ce livre illustré. Ce chat est vraiment mignon. Je suis sûr que vous craquerez pour lui.

Voir mon commentaire complet su
Kyla
Sep 13, 2011 Kyla rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with this collection about the internet's most famous cat. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but this was so disjointed and unoriginal that I feel cheated. If I'd wanted to see unconnected bits of blog postings and videos, I would've gone to the author's blog or YouTube channel and picked segments and sentences at random. (Sorry, Maru! There's only so much that being cute can do for you.)
Kristine Hansen
Nov 10, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
If you've followed Maru at all on Youtube then you know what to expect from this book. Mostly just a random collection of pictures and very little text, this is a quick book to wander through, but left a smile on my face regardless.
Vanessa
Dec 26, 2012 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
What can I say? This is a super cute book, with funny adorable pictures of Maru the internet-sensation cat throughout. And the outside cover opens up into a poster! It does what it says on the tin. Perfect for cheering me up on a down day!
Jen
Aug 23, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
Okay, you don't really read this. It's more of a picture book with some cute captions and lots of pictures of Maru. Some of them are his kitten pictures. This is a must for fans of Maru's You Tube videos.
Jenny
Aug 08, 2011 Jenny marked it as to-read
If you've never watched Maru on youtube or Cuteoverload.com you're in for a treat!
kimberly
May 06, 2015 kimberly rated it really liked it
ridiculously adorable.

but best in video form to show off his skillz!
First Second Books
Supercalifragilistically adorable? No, it's cute like burning.
Sami
May 06, 2015 Sami rated it really liked it
Who doesn't love Maru?
I think the entire world has seen this cat at least once on the internet. If you managed not to yet....how?
He's a fun, fluffy, round, cat who loves all things boxy. His ever-mysterious human, mugumogu put together this little book showcasing this little YouTube star for the world to enjoy. It's a light read, fun, funny, full of pictures, and narrated by the fluffy furball himself. The dual language is great for those learning and practicing Japanese. Fun for everyone.
Cathy Moore
May 27, 2015 Cathy Moore rated it it was ok
I saw this book on Goodreads and decided to read it as well as check out Maru's youtube videos. I liked looking at all the pictures. Cute book, but one thing would keep me from sharing it with a small child...the use of dammit on page 53. Otherwise, I think it is the first book that I have seen written in English as well as Japanese.
Judy
Jun 04, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
This is free on Scribd at the moment and as a fan of the Maru videos I couldn't resist. It isn't really a book, more a collection of photos and captions - quite sweet, but some of the photos are rather small. It's also nice to see Maru as a kitten.
Maria Rowe
Oct 18, 2015 Maria Rowe rated it it was ok
Shelves: animals, read-2015, cats
The photos are awfully cute, but the text was lame. I also thought it was boring to have blog highlights and multiple stills of videos, when I could have easily looked at the blog or YouTube. This would have worked much better if it were simply a photo book.
Jun 14, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Maru is a cat.
Made famous on the internet.
And now there are books (plural people) about this cat.

I have two cats.

The possibilities....hmmmm.....

Diana Dupraw
Jan 31, 2015 Diana Dupraw rated it really liked it
Short, but awfully cute! Great pictures! If you like the book, definitely check out Maru's extensive video collection on YouTube, if you haven't already.
  • Cat Vs Human
  • Cats are Weird and More Observations
  • Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home
  • Stuff On My Cat: The Book
  • I Can Has Cheezburger?: A LOLcat Colleckshun
  • Casper the Commuting Cat: The True Story of the Cat who Rode the Bus and Stole our Hearts
  • Bad Cat: 244 Not-So-Pretty Kitties and Cats Gone Bad
  • 100 Cats Who Changed Civilization
  • The Nine Emotional Lives of Cats: A Journey into the Feline Heart
  • The Devious Book for Cats: A Parody
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 4
  • The Fur Person
  • Simon's Cat (Simon's Cat, #1)
  • My Milk Toof: The Adventures of ickle and Lardee
  • Underwater Puppies
  • Cats In The Belfry
  • Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir
  • All I Need to Know I Learned from My Cat
mugumogu is the online username for Maru’s owner. She and Maru live in Japan.
Source: http://www.harpercollins.ca/authors/3...