The 1985 Annual World's Best SF

The 1985 Annual World's Best SF (World's Best Science Fiction #21)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Contents

* "Introduction" (Donald A. Wollheim)
* "The Picture Man" (John Dalmas)
* "Cash Crop" (Connie Willis)
* "We Remember Babylon" (Ian Watson)
* "What Makes Us Human" (Stephen R. Donaldson)
* "Salvador" (Lucius Shepard)
* "Press Enter []" (John Varley)
* "The Aliens Who Knew, I Mean, Everything" (George Alec Effinger)
* "Bloodchild" (Octavia E. Butler)
* "The Coming o...more
Published June 4th 1985 by DAW (first published June 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The 1985 Annual World's Best SF, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 1985 Annual World's Best SF

Emily
This collection seems to contain fewer, but longer stories than editions from other years. It is also a pretty average collection. By the time I was finished reading it (it took me a while because this was my "purse book" that I read in waiting rooms) I couldn't remember much about any of the previous stories. So, I went back through. Here's a brief summary and a short impression of each:
"The Picture Man" -- A professor takes in a homeless man who, it turns out, can do a pretty neat trick with a...more
Steven Peterson
A nice addition to Wollheim's series of the annual best sci-fi. What strikes me is that by 1985, many of my favorite authors are less well represented (a sign of aging?). None of the authors included in this anthology rated among my favorites. Now, the works themselves are fine, don't get me wrong. But this book is a kind of "changing of the guard" for me.
Peter
Some good, some not. "The Picture Man," "Press Enter," and "Salvador" particularly stick out to me. Longer stories, mostly, and seemingly more psychological. "The Aliens Who Knew, Like, Everything" was a pretty entertaining yarn.
Karen
As with many books of short stories some good, some not so good. First 6 stories better than the last 4,
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Joanne G.
Joanne G. marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Reg
Reg added it
May 10, 2014
Silea
Silea marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Jtb
Jtb marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Andrea Wahle
Andrea Wahle marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Amber Hill
Amber Hill marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Britty Kitty
Britty Kitty marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2013
Cthulhu's
Cthulhu's marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Eric Feurer
Eric Feurer marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Foxglove Zayuri
Foxglove Zayuri marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Jon
Jon added it
Mar 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Donald Allen Wollheim was a science fiction writer, editor, publisher and fan. He published his own works under pseudonyms, including David Grinnell.

A member of the Futurians, he was one of the leading influences on the development of science fiction and science fiction fandom in the 20th century United States.

In 1937, Wollheim founded the Fantasy Amateur Press Association. The first mailing was d...more
More about Donald A. Wollheim...
The 1977 Annual World's Best SF The 1980 Annual World's Best SF The 1981 Annual World's Best SF The 1986 Annual World's Best SF The 1988 Annual World's Best SF