Darkness Undone (Marked Souls, #4)

Darkness Undone (Marked Souls #4)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The war between good and evil has raged for millennia, and as a powerful new enemy ascends, the Marked Souls are pushed to the ragged edge…

Sidney Westerbrook has always studied darkness and damnation from a sensible distance. Now, to earn his place as a league Bookkeeper, he must discover why Chicago is such a battleground of soul-linked warriors. But the research becomes...more
Published March 6th 2012 by Signet (first published March 1st 2012)

Robin Priddy
Alyce Carver is possessed by a repentant demon. She was possessed in of the Salem Witch Trails. Alyce was very fragil because of the demon possssion, so to protect her the demon repressed her memories. When Alyce went to doctors for help because she thought she was crazy due to her seeing devils. So now she hides during the day and at night she ventures out to kill ferales which she refers to as devils. When Alyce tracks a group of ferales to an alley she is in for a surprise. She finds a human...more
Bookaholics
Darkness Undone by Jessa Slade
Paranormal Romance –March 6th, 2012
4 ½ stars

In Darkness Undone, Jessa Slade continues her Marked Souls series with an unlikely and bookish hero and a fragile appearing heroine with a lost memory.

Sidney Westerbrook is on a mission to prove himself to his esteemed father - a Bookkeeper for the Marked in London. But Sidney soon finds himself finds himself caught up in more than recordkeeping when he unexpectedly meets a new and undocumented talya named Alyce who is dem...more
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2012/03/...

This is the first book I’ve read by Jessa Slade (I know, shame on me), and all I can say is…wow! Sidney Westerbrook, fresh from London, a bit stiff in his tweeds, is attacked by lesser demons in a rather dark Chicago alley. Along comes the lovely Alyce Carver, feral, wild, and unearthly, and rescues him from almost certain death. All I could think of during her fight with the demons was the fight between River and the Reav...more
Cid Tyer
I get to talk about the newest Marked Souls book!!!!! This series, I might or might not have mentioned, is on my very short list of series with a world that makes me want to day dream. I’m the first to admit that it’s had it’s ups and downs with me. I still, to this day, would cheer on someone punching Archer in the balls, but the series as a whole rocks. I think one of the things I like, beyond the nuts and bolts of what makes up this series, is the idea that, sure the characters might have the...more
Chris
First I want to thank Goodreads and Jessa Slade...love winning first-read books!!! I only wish I would have read the first three books before I read this one, but I do plan on reading them in the near future (and will probably re-read this one). I have to admit I was confused in the beginning and was thankful for the glossary in the back. Overall I enjoyed Ms. Slade's writing style and storyline. I'm thrilled to have found and new author to follow and am excited to share her books with my readin...more
Chelsea [Vampire Book Club]
This review was originally posted at Vampire Book Club.

It’s rare that I fall for the heroine of a paranormal romance before the hero. But that’s exactly what happened with Jessa Slade’s fourth Marked Souls novel Darkness Undone. From the very beginning I was fascinated by Alyce. The rogue talya didn’t understand she was possessed by a repentant demon like the others in this series have been. No, Alyce was sure the devil was inside her and that she may be crazy.

When Bookkeeper Sidney comes across...more
Tabby -  IMReviews
Original Review Posted - here

Seeing as to how this book is number 4 in the series and I haven't read 1-3, I am just a little confused on some parts due to not having the entire back story. With that said, this book was still pretty amazing on it's own. Just know, in advance, that it is surely not a "stand alone" type of book in a series.

Sidney, a trained observer - is in Chicago to observe the relations between male and female Talyans. The set back? He is there facing the Chicago group - who ju...more
Jeanne
I'm giving this one 3 1/2 stars. Much as I like Jessa Slade and this series, I had trouble getting into this one. For the first 1/3 or so of the book, I found it very difficult to get into either of hte lead characters (Sydney, the tempprary bookkeeper from London, and Alyce, the new female talyan). The book did get a lot better somewhere around page 150 - 175 (of an ebook about 320 pages long) which is why I am able to go to the 3 1/2 star rating. Here's why:

Sydney starts out as a fairly uninvo...more
Shauni
Darkness Undone is book four in Jessa Slade’s Marked Souls series and she works her magic once again. Leave it to Jessa Slade to draw us in, intrigue us with her gritty urban fantasy, get us addicted to those all powerful Alpha Males, tease us with little bits of Darkness Undone, then to give us this wonderful tilt.

In Darkness we Meet Sidney Westerbrook a trained observer, one who knows how to put his emotion to the side, a geek, in short a bookkeeper. From the beginning we know Sid is not your...more
Martina
3 1/2
Ok, so I read this book out of order. I have not read any of the previous books so I cannot compare it to the books b4 it.

Darkness Undone was a decent read. It actually started out great and continued to be good throughout the story, but the ending fell flat for me. I usually complain about a book ending to abruptly, but this book's ending dragged out too long. Also, the epilogue could have been cut out.

The author did a good job of weaving and revealing the backstory's of both main charact...more
Michelle the Romance Witch
decent beginning... pretty good ending... WAY confusing middle. The story jumped all over the place and while it followed along the same lines of the previous book sin the series it was all very convoluted and disconcerting. Who was good, who was bad and who was confused.
Sidney was highly frustrating and irritating up until the very end when he finally pulled his head out of his butt.
Alyce was so confusing at the beginning and then finally she became a strong female character.
This plot had so...more
Darcy
This book seemed so different from the others in the series, I think because of the couple, Sidney is a very beta man, while Alyce, described as a feral waif by one of the other characters, which fits her. They both didn't seem to fit with the rest of the group at first glance.

Sidney has always wanted to be the bookkeeper, so he has known about them, but always at a distance. But now he finds himself right in all the action and has a hard time adjusting.

Alyce has been a teshuva for a long time,...more
Jen
I received this as an advanced copy. I really enjoyed the book. Although I haven't read the others in the series (I want to now) I liked that you could still follow the book and understand it without having read the other ones. Jessa included enough background information so that you weren't confused and could understand and enjoy the book. I enjoyed the characters and was able to understand some of the terminology til I realized there was a glossary at the end of the book, which by the way was...more
Megan
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I really enjoyed reading this book. I had to get use to some of the vocabulary at first but there is a glossary in the back and I didn't find it hard to learn. This is the first book that I have read from this author. Nim has to be one of my favourite characters, but of course I liked them all! I want to read all the other books now! It had me laughing out loud in parts, it has great romance, and lots of exciting action.
Maggie Lynch
This was a great addition to the Marked Souls series. I really liked the plot and the twist of the Christmas season and the meaning we imbue all the tchotchkes we have to celebrate the season.

The only reason I didn't it give it five stars is that if you haven't read any of the Marked Souls books you would probably be lost reading this one. It begins with the assumption that you understand this world, the Talyan, what everyone is fighting for and against.
Julie
I'm not done but so far I like it but not as much as the previous books. I'm not sure if it's because when first introduced to Sid's character I got a mental picture of well me in male form.
Also Alyce is at this point in the book for me a bit weak. I'm become accustomed to Ms. Slade's female characters being strong if not physically then mentally and Alyce is not. I've not come to the point in the book where it's explained why she is mentally unstable.
Susan Lute
I have waited breathlessly for DARKNESS UNDONE by Jessa Slade to come out. I was not disappointed! With great style and story, Ms Slade continues her Marked Souls series with yet another story that won't let you go. Sidney Westerbook has always wanted to be a league Bookkeeper. Alyce Carver doesn't want to be alone any longer. As usual, be careful what you ask for. A must read with a special place on my keeper shelf.
Robin
This is Jessa Slade's forth book in her Marked Souls series.This is the first one in this series that I've listened to and it was very good. I get the gist of her writing now and so it takes a bit of the edge off because you can see where it's going. On the other hand its still the ride getting there that makes it worth it all and this was done well. Now I just have to wait for the next one to come out.
Shari
This book was not as gripping as the previous 3 books in this series. I wasn't taken by the story line or the characters in the book and found it took forever to finish.
Jen
Feb 23, 2012 Jen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fv
Sidney and Alyce

Full review to come onFiction Vixen Book Reviews
Merisha28
this is just an amazing series and a hot hot cover. I loved it can't wait to read the others.
Haydeed1
great addition to a delightful series. I can't wait for Ecco's book
Rebecca
Jan 07, 2012 Rebecca marked it as to-read
Marked to it to read
Melindeeloo
Review later...
Mehnaz
Mehnaz marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
SassySami
SassySami marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
  • Now or Never (Wizards of Nevermore, #2)
  • Nightborn (Lords of the Darkyn, #1)
  • Daybreak (Dark Age Dawning, #3)
  • A Devil Named Desire (The Devil's Bargain #2)
  • Surrender to Darkness (Soul Gatherer, #3)
  • Haunting Embrace (Mists of Ireland, #4)
  • Veil of Shadows (Veil, #2)
  • Vengeance Moon (Earth Witches, #2)
  • His Dark Bond (Fallen, #2)
  • Geared for Pleasure
  • Ravenous (Clare Point, #4)
  • Dire Needs (Eternal Wolf Clan, #1)
  • Master of Darkness (Mageverse, #9)
  • Storm Kissed (Nightkeepers, #6)
  • Blood Eternal (Awakened by Blood, #3)
  • Tempted by Blood (Sweetblood, #3)
  • All Things Wicked (Dark Mission #3)
  • Truth Or Demon (New Orleans Vampires, #5)
Read more at:
jessaslade.com
Find Jessa online at:
Twitter
Facebook
Pinterest

"Wonderfully addictive!"
~New York Times bestselling author Gena Showalter

“Dark and sexy and intense."
~New York Times Bestselling Author Nalini Singh

“[F]or readers who love J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood, the Marked Souls series will hit the spot."
~RT BOOK Reviews

More about Jessa Slade...
Seduced By Shadows (Marked Souls, #1) Forged Of Shadows (Marked Souls #2) Vowed in Shadows (Marked Souls, #3) Dark Hunter's Touch (Steel Born 1) The Darkest Night (A Marked Souls Christmas Novella, #4.5)