Start by marking “Piggy Bunny” as Want to Read:
Piggy Bunny

Piggy Bunny

A sweet story about a pig who knows he's really a bunny

Most piglets want to be pigs when they grow up. Not Liam. He wants to be a bunny. Even if it takes a lot of practice to learn how to hop...and to eat salad. Even if no one believes that a piggy can be a bunny. With a lot of determination, and a little help from his grandma, Liam is determined to make his dream come tru
Published February 14th 2012 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Piggy Bunny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Piggy Bunny

Mary
Apr 03, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
Hm. Very cute, and I LUUURRRRVVEE Jeremy Tankard's illustrations, but it seemed like something was missing. Yes, Pig was loved just the way he was - but self-esteem wasn't his problem; he wanted folks to support his desire to become Easter Bunny. But when grandma and grandpa tell him they DO support his dream, their solution was to buy him a bunny suit. And then, suddenly, everyone believed in him as the Easter Bunny. Huh? THAT was all they needed? For him to LOOK more like a bunny? I felt like ...more
paula
Apr 12, 2012 paula rated it liked it
A pig who insists that he is a bunny. His family assures him they love him just the way he is; his sister tells him to get over it. He is still insistent: "Hello, my name is Liam and I'll be your Easter Bunny." The neighbors are skeptical but his parents continue to love and support him.

Love it.

Then grandma and grandpa come to visit, and not only do they support Liam, they work with him to make his outside match his inside - they order an Easter Bunny suit on the Internet. And once his bunny sui
Rachel
Sep 20, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-stuff
Absolutely adorable story about a little piglet who wants to be the Easter Bunny. Excellent messages about following your dreams, how people can love you even when they don't completely understand you and accepting each other as we are. Also, charmingly modern.
Laurie
Aug 23, 2014 Laurie rated it it was ok
Allison
Nov 25, 2014 Allison rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Toddlers, parents
When Liam the piglet decides that he wants to be the Easter Bunny, his family is not so thrilled. They support him, of course, but they're all just a bit perplexed by Liam's desire. Liam is already perfect; why on earth would he want to be anything other than his perfect little self? Liam doesn't see it this way, so he sets about delivering eggs, hopping around, and eating lettuce, all with various levels of success. And then his grandparents show up, and everything changes. "This is a problem w ...more
Rachel
Apr 16, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: text-set
Piggy Bunny is about a pig named Liam who wants to be an Easter bunny. Liam's family does not understand why he wants to be something other than a pig. They tell him they love him the way he is and that he doesn’t have to try to be anything else. Liam is sad because nobody believes he can be anything different. Finally, he finds support from his grandparents who buy him a bunny suit. In his bunny suit, Liam is happy and others to believe in him too. This text relates to my unit as is Liam is uni ...more
Barbara
Mar 03, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
While the other piglets in his family want to be pigs when they grow up, Liam has other dreams. He intends to become the Easter Bunny and practices all the skills he'll need to do so successfully: hoping, eating salad, and delivering eggs. [One could argue that the Easter Bunny might not need to love salad in order to perform his/her job, but Liam's dislike for green veggies adds to the story's humor.] While his parents and siblings encourage self-acceptance, his grandparents support Liam's drea ...more
Maddypictures
Mar 09, 2012 Maddypictures rated it it was amazing
Hilariously wonderful! This little pig knows just what he wants to be when he grows up... The Easter Bunny!

"You are a terrific piglet," says his mother, "We love your squiggly tail and your little black eyes and your snouty nose and your adorably triangular ears... you are perfect... just exactly the way you are."
"Just exactly the way I am... is like a piglet who is going to be the Easter Bunny."
Liam the pig decides, "This is the kind of problem... that is called heartbreaking."
It takes some he
Nathan
Jan 19, 2013 Nathan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trans, lgbtq-under10
Liam is a piglet who wants to be the Easter Bunny. His siblings tease him for it, his parents try to convince him that he is a "perfect piglet" and "doesn't have to try to be anything else", his neighbors and friends stare and don't understand. In the end, it's his grandparents that help him by ordering an Easter Bunny suit from the internet.
I loved Liam. He was an amazing little character and adorable. This book made me laugh out loud multiple times.
A sign of a great picture book is the abilit
Nathan
May 03, 2016 Nathan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, 2013, 2012
A sign of a great picture book is the abilit
Tasha
Sep 11, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Liam does not want to be a pig when he grows up, even though he’s a piglet. Instead, Liam wants to be the Easter Bunny. Liam even practiced his bunny skills: hopping, eating salad, and delivering eggs. But they didn’t work out too well. His family thought that he should just admit he was a pig and move on. But then his grandmother said that they didn’t have the imagination to see him as a rabbit and that he needed a bunny suit to have them see it. Unfortunately, the bunny suit doesn’t fit quite ...more
Treasure
Aug 09, 2012 Treasure rated it it was amazing
I love a picture book that makes grown ups laugh. If you're going to read it a million times to kids, you might as well enjoy it!
This is an excellent addition to my shelf of "picture books I don't mind rereading a bajillion times". Liam, an adorable piglet with loving, supportive pig parents, longs to be the Easter Bunny. He finds understanding in his grandparents, who offer to help him become the EB by getting him a costume. It is impossible not to crack up when Liam asks if they know how to ma
Alicia Scully
Jul 10, 2016 Alicia Scully rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful way to discuss being transgender at a younger age. We see that Liam's immediate family does love him and they think that they're helping, but they just don't understand how to help the most. It's also not super explicit in terms of context, so it is a book that can be used in other ways as well or for audiences that aren't ready for that discussion yet. It's very well done.

For: talks about transgender, feeling like you don't belong in your skin, or knowing you're meant
Sue
Aug 10, 2013 Sue rated it it was amazing
A book about not giving up on your dreams even when they may seem impossible. Even when your family is more of a "believing-in-pinking family". Liam is a piglet that wants to b the Easter Bunny when he grows up. His parents tell him he's terrific just they way he is, a piglet. This is a "heartbreaking problem". Then his grandparents arrive. Can they help Liam or is his dream doomed?

Great book to teach students to never give up on their dreams, even if the obstacles seem insurmountable!
Erin Lorimer
Oct 11, 2013 Erin Lorimer rated it it was amazing
Rachel Vail's "Piggy Bunny" is a beautifully written book that emphasizes the idea of standing by what you believe. Liam is a little piggy whose dream is to become the Easter Bunny when he grows up. While experiencing rejection from his family and friends, he proceeds in trying to adapt into his soon to be bunny ways of life like hopping, enjoying salad, and delivering eggs. With the help and encouragement he receives from his grandmother, Liam finally reaches his goal in becoming the Easter bun ...more
Courtney Angelo
This book creates both happy and sad emotions for me. It is such a cute story, a little piggy with real hopes and dreams for his future. His grandparents do their best to fulfill their dreams when his siblings are not sticking up for him. It is sad in that way though! Piggy wants so badly to bean Easter Bunny that he is literally willing to do everything- even eat salad every day. It warms my heart when his grandparents order a suit for him off the Internet; this really makes him feel better. I ...more
Jean
This is one of my favorites of my library pile today. Piglet wants to be a bunny. But not just any bunny, the Easter bunny. "The Easter bunny?" asked Liam's big brother. "Seriously?" Everyone tries to talk him out of it by spouting "we love you for who you are" nonsense. Grandma & grandpa come to the rescue. "Put your Easter bunny suit on." I don't have one, can you make me one? "Absolutely not," said Grandma. "We will order one on the internet." Kids are little for such a short time, let th ...more
Angie
Mar 03, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
You know what? This one is super cute. I LOVE the illustrations and ... let me think. Can I tell you my favorite lines without spoiling the story?

I will just say that Grandma and Grandpa are awesome.

Must read for Easter. Not necessarily for the meaning behind that season (though He did teach us to love and accept!) ... but for fun, definitely. Maybe a storytime? There must be a craft in there somewhere. Lesson can be on story elements. Then fun craftiness.
Amanda
Mar 15, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough good things about this book! It was funny, witty, heartwarming, and it really showed a great underlying moral of being who you are regardless of what other's think. The story tells of a little piglet who believes in himself. With the help of just one person, he was able to gain the self confidence he needed to have everyone else believe in him too. Great illustrations, and a GREAT story to share with young readers.
Christina
Sep 29, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely amazing! It is a great book for kids to learn that you can strive to be anything you want. If you work for it, it is achievable. I think as a parent this would be a great book just to read to kids, but I do not really know what it could be used for in a class room. I would read this to my own kid(s) to show my support for them. I would want to instill in my children that the should pursue their dreams.
Lauren Barone
Oct 16, 2013 Lauren Barone rated it really liked it
Rachel Vail did an outstanding job with this story. The pictures were appealing to the eyes as well as the mood of the text. This pig was unlike the rest. He had dreams of becoming the Easter Bunny. This story had an underlying message of the importance of self worth and self identity. It would be perfect to read to a class learning about bullying or teasing others because they are different than the rest.
SevieReads
Mar 21, 2012 SevieReads rated it it was amazing
I think I might be having a cute overload. This book is darling, and has a good message and I love characters in it.

Liam is a pig. Liam wants to be the Easter Bunny. This is a problem.

Listen to this gem the book....

Liam hopped around his grandparents, his triangular ears twitching with excitement. "You know how to make an Easter Bunny suit?" he asked them.

"Absolutely not," said Grandma. "We will order one on the internet."

Love.
Edwina
Jun 11, 2016 Edwina rated it it was amazing
I read this to all my classes this week. The message rang so loud and clear to me, or I may be the only one who got this message. But it seemed to me to be talking about gender, not pigs and bunnies.

The piglet was heartbroken at first, and it takes a caring grandparent to help him transition to a bunny.
Canuckatlarge
Mar 19, 2015 Canuckatlarge rated it it was ok
I tried this out with my grade 1/2 class and not a big hit. Like other reviewers, I feel like much of the humor is directed at adults. There is also a page that says "Do we even believe in the Easter Bunny?" For this age group, I don't like it when books bring up doubts about Santa, Easter Bunny, etc. Let them believe for awhile! Love Jeremy Tankard's illustrations though.
Dewey
Mar 07, 2016 Dewey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: st-easter
Freaking. Adorable.

All Liam wants in the world is to be the Easter Bunny, but everyone around him keeps reminding him that he's a perfect little piglet. Finally, his grandparents come to visit, and they help him realize his dream of being the Easter Bunny.

This book is super cute, and I would definitely use it for an Easter-themed storytime for toddlers or preschool kids.
May 22, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I great book to teach kids you can be anything you want to be, even if others don't think so. This pig just wanted to be the Easter bunny, and thankfully his grandma knows how to work the internet to find a bunny costume. Very cute story.
Emily
Apr 16, 2013 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: yes
Title: Piggy Bunny
Author/Illustrator: Rachel Vail
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Date: Feb. 14, 2012
Genre: fiction

Hilarious book about the Easter bunny. Would even make grown ups laugh! Great message and love the characters. Perfect to read around Easter time to a classroom.
Brittany
Apr 23, 2012 Brittany rated it did not like it
I thought that this book would be so great...but I was sadly mistaken. This book was not suitable for young children. The language used is too advanced for most easy readers (in my opinion). And the story line was awful! Disappointed!!!
Joshua
Aug 06, 2016 Joshua rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A really funny book about being what you want to be when you grow up. It takes hard work and people who believe in you. The best part is when the grandma suggests the little pig needs a bunny costume, and when he asks if she know how to make one she says "of course not, we can buy one online."
Great Books
Feb 18, 2012 Great Books rated it really liked it
The power of imagination comes to life for Liam the piglet, who faces problems and doubters as he aspires to be the Easter Bunny. Supportive grandparents come to the rescue by purchasing a bunny suit on the internet and encouraging him to believe.
Reviewer 15
  • Those Darn Squirrels Fly South
  • The Amazing Hamweenie
  • Scaredy Squirrel Prepares for Christmas: A Safety Guide for Scaredies
Birth
I was born on July 25, 1966, in NEW YORK CITY, and grew up in New Rochelle, NY, with my mother, my father, and my younger brother Jon. (And down the street from my future husband, though of course I didn't know that until much later.)

Interests
Some details, I do know-I was very into reading and theater, so I read every book I could get my hands on (especially realistic fiction, either contempo
More about Rachel Vail...