Start by marking “Looking for Lincoln: The Making of an American Icon” as Want to Read:
Looking for Lincoln: The Making of an American Icon

Looking for Lincoln: The Making of an American Icon

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  22 reviews
An extensively researched, lavishly illustrated consideration of the myths, memories, and questions that gathered around our most beloved—and most enigmatic—president in the years between his assassination and the dedication of the Lincoln Memorial in 1922.

Availing themselves of a vast collection of both published and never-before-seen materials, the authors—the fourth
Published November 1st 2011 by Knopf (first published November 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Looking for Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking for Lincoln

Kristen
When I got this book from the library I intended to just open it and browse through it for a few minutes. I ended up staying on that couch and spending a couple HOURS with this book. It begins at Lincoln's assassination and everything that happened after, and Lincoln's legacy, all told with fascinating pictures. I learned a lot of interesting things...what happened to those involved in the assassination, what happened to Mary (a sad story), and how his son Robert fought to come to terms with Lin ...more
Benjamin
If I were to construct a photo book about someone, this is the way I'd like to do it. Loads of photographs from the time of the Civil War starting with Lincoln's assassination on April 14, 1865. It depicts the events and people significant to the Lincoln administration, and it displays it's photos with explanations often rendered in the words of the subjects.

It's a wonderful Christmas gift from my sister Donna.

A wealth of information about the various characters associated with Lincoln's death.
Brian S. Wise
"Looking for Lincoln" carries on the fine Kunhardt family tradition of publishing large, notable books on Lincoln (including also "Twenty Days," first released in 1965, a masterpiece of the genre still used as a research tool; and "Lincoln" (1992), the book I can blame for getting me hooked on both Lincoln and the War Between the States. (Less known, but still noteworthy, is the 1999 book "The American President." All four books can be found at great hardcover prices on any one of the numerous u ...more
Scott Klemm
When I first saw this book I merely gave it a quick glance over, and concluded I didn’t need another Lincoln picture book. I already had a copy of Twenty Days co-authored by Philip Kunhardt Jr. (I didn’t realize at the time that the authors of Looking for Lincoln were the sons and grandson of Philip Kunhardt.) Later when I looked at the book more closely, I realized that the book was not just another rehash of the life of Lincoln from log cabin to assassination. Instead this book begins with the ...more
Jean
I'm loving this book and its really a "coffee table book". This authors ancestors acquired Matthew Bradyt''s negatives and they take Lincoln's story from his assassination forward, filling in the impact and "what happened next" with a huge catalog of photos to accompany very informative text. So cool.
Stephen
A haunting epilogue to a life often studied. This book is a great resource for those who are interested in Lincoln's iconic stature in society and how that status came to be. Amazing visual research.

I intend to offer further comment soon.
HBalikov
A magnificent compendium of all things Lincoln. This remarkable melding of text and photo traces the influence of Lincoln in the subsequent years and decades. If it doesn't distinguish among the substantial and the trivial, it is comprehensive in its coverage.

Among the things you will learn:
- Why Lincoln did not attend his father's death bed
- Why he appointed his most ambitious rival as Chief Justice a few months after throwing him out of the Cabinet
- The mis-intentions of Mary Lincoln's seamstr
Tara
Going to be HUGE as a hot topic with Lincoln's 200th birthday coming up. This illustrated biography is the size of a coffee table book and incredibly detailed in the photos, newspaper clippings and other ephemera that litter this impressive work. Not surprising since it the accumulation of several generations of passionate Lincoln researchers. The companion piece to a PBS special coming out next year, it uses a unique chronology - starting with the assassination and then progressing as items wer ...more
Riley
This is a really big book (not in thickness, in size). It's kind of a combination history book/coffee table book, lots of pictures, but plenty of writing also. I took it on a trip with me and got some weird looks as I was reading this great big book while walking on the treadmill in the hotel. I learned a lot more about Lincoln, his cabinet, and the personalities he dealt with there and in his family. It's a very readable insight into a high profile president, and the amount of pictures really h ...more
Amy
A fascinating look at how and why Lincoln is so important to us! Lots of photos, drawings and personal accounts by the people who knew him best!

My only issue or question is in regards to a photo on pg. 417. The caption says that Lincoln is waiting to deliver his Second Inaugural Address, but I find that hard to believe because Lincoln has no sideburns or facial hair in the photo. All other photos of him (from this time period) show him with facial hair.

Janis
I spent many happy hours reading this book. It begins with the assassination, then tells Lincoln's story by going forward in time, examining the different ways we came to understand and look at this great man. As time passed, Lincoln's legend grew, viewpoints changed, and new interpretations of his actions and ideas emerged. The book is full of fascinating detail and amazing photographs -- a Lincolnphile's dream come true.
Wendy
This book is somewhat a continuation of Team of Rivals, although it's not by the same author (but Doris Goodwin endorsed it). It delves into Lincoln's assassination, and covers John Wilkes Booth more in-depth than Team of Rivals. Also covers Robert Lincoln's life, who is Abraham Lincoln's only-living adult child. It's a good companion book to Team of Rivals, which is my all-time favorite book.
Dick
Terrific book. Got it from my wife Shari for Valentine's Day - and have literally savored reading each. A few photos I either forgot about or had not seen before. Individuals interviewed who knew Lincoln provided a rich text to this book. As my father used to say it is already a family "hairloom."
Shauna
This book is a great read. It's very informative and it covers a wide range of events in Lincoln's life. It's not in a chapter book format so you don't have to sit and read huge chunks all at one time. This would be a good book for doing research on Lincoln or just for a leisurly scan through.
Alex Cork
Fantastic book! Typically I read about Lincoln the statesmen, but this book really gives a good back story of how he become such a great statesman, and how he has become a mythical figure.
Paige Henson
I got this delicious $50 book for $15, and I cannot say enough about the contents: bits and pieces and back stories galore. Heavily illustrated, it is a must for Lincoln- ophiles! Too heavy for reading in bed in the hard cover version, darn it.
Karen
I picked this up at the local library to thumb thru at home, in honor of Lincoln's 200th birthday. Wonderful pictures and every page has an interesting fact and tidbit about Lincoln and the others of his time.
Michael
This is an excellent book on Abraham Lincoln. It starts with his death and follows the lives of those who knew him. I have read many books on Lincoln but learned a lot more about him. Great pictures!
Dave
A different way to approach Lincoln. Uses old photos and Lincoln artifacts to tell tye story of Lincoln, and his times. Also suggest a trip to Springfield Illinois to see the Lincoln museum.
Jennifer Daniel
Another incohesive collection of seemingly random facts loosely associated with Lincoln. The format was ugly to. Presentation is everything, you know.
Ramakrishnan
PBS (Detroit) on Wednesday 02-11-09 was well done!
Kris
Loved this!
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Robert Effinger
Robert Effinger marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Mary-jo Maisto
Mary-jo Maisto marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Kent
Kent marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Violet
Violet marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Dale Kuby
Dale Kuby marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
  • Abraham Lincoln: A Life
  • The Gettysburg Gospel: The Lincoln Speech That Nobody Knows
  • "We are Lincoln Men": Abraham Lincoln and His Friends
  • President Lincoln: The Duty of a Statesman
  • The Age of Lincoln
  • Lincoln's Greatest Speech: The Second Inaugural
  • Lincoln and Chief Justice Taney: Slavery, Secession, and the President's War Powers
  • Honor's Voice: The Transformation of Abraham Lincoln
  • Who's Buried In Grant's Tomb?: A Tour of Presidential Gravesites
  • Lincoln at Cooper Union: The Speech That Made Abraham Lincoln President
  • The Last Lincolns: The Rise & Fall of a Great American Family
  • "They Have Killed Papa Dead!": The Road to Ford's Theatre, Abraham Lincoln's Murder, and the Rage for Vengeance
  • Land of Lincoln: Adventures in Abe's America
  • Abraham Lincoln and the Second American Revolution
  • Lincoln and His Admirals
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • The Day Lincoln Was Shot
  • 1864: Lincoln at the Gates of History
Lincoln: An Illustrated Biography P. T. Barnum: America's Greatest Showman Life Smiles Back The American President: The Human Drama of Our Nation's Highest Office Life in Camelot: The Kennedy Years