Start by marking “Choose to Lose: The 7-Day Carb Cycle Solution” as Want to Read:
Choose to Lose: The 7-Day Carb Cycle Solution

Choose to Lose: The 7-Day Carb Cycle Solution

Don’t lose the will to become the person you want to be. Choose to Lose the weight, and start the next chapter of your life as the person you know you truly are.

EAT MORE CARBS

BURN FAT

BUILD MUSCLE

QUICK-FIX RECIPES

NO GYM REQUIRED

CHEAT EVERY OTHER DAY

From celebrated fitness trainer Chris Powell, star of ABC’s Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition, comes this inspirational we
Published December 27th 2011 by Hachette Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Choose to Lose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Choose to Lose

Katie Rayl
Oct 19, 2012 Katie Rayl rated it liked it
I have a lot of respect for Chris Powell, and I think his overall view of fitness is pretty good. This is why I gave his book 3 stars instead of 2. His idea of "tricking" our bodies into losing weight by cycling our calories and carbs is appealing, but there were still a few things in the book I take issue with. First of all he is mostly focusing on individuals with a lot of weight to lose. For these individuals, carb cycling is probably uneccessarily complicated. Also, I would like to have seen ...more
Stacey
Mar 27, 2012 Stacey rated it really liked it
If you're going to buy a diet book, this one makes a lot of sense. The writing isn't spectacular, but it's A DIET BOOK, so it's completely forgivable. The theory is to alternate one day with carbs, one day without, and do a variety of exercises called shapers (like push ups) and shredders (cardio). Basically, if you follow the plan, you can't not lose. A smaller calorie intake and increased exercise equal a reduction in waist size. If you're someone who needs guidance when it comes to that equat ...more
Kimmay
Aug 27, 2012 Kimmay rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-nutrition
You can tell that the author is a sincere person. He goes into how he got into being a trainer & I found that very interesting.

He really seems like he is a positive motivating person. I enjoyed his book. I enjoyed the inspiring way he thinks & talks to his clients.

It is mostly basic info that I already know, BUT the parts about attitude & motivation, keeping the goal in sight is always good to hear. The attitude is everything stuff is what really sets Chris apart from some other bo
Desiree
Jun 01, 2014 Desiree rated it it was ok
Picked this up at the library because "Good Calories, Bad Calories" was out and I wanted to read something health-related. Since I've been changing my carb intake, I thought it might be a good read. Not so much.

From the use of "loosing weight" (copy-editors are still worthwhile, earth to publishing houses!) to the incredibly complicated plan that is so counter-intuitive to me, I did not enjoy this. The food suggestions aren't bad and I'm sure the workouts are great, but I can't stand all the cha
Chad
Dec 29, 2011 Chad rated it it was amazing
Chris Powell is a genuinely nice guy. I had an issue with a company he works with and his wife personally handled it for me. He and his wife are really great people.

This book is Chris's history, dreams, and visions along with the Carb Cycle eating plan. He provides everything you need in the book. I read it in 24 hours, it really is motivating, especially for people like myself who have more than 50 pounds to lose. He writes about health holistically and I believe it will change my life.
Sandee Becker
Mar 31, 2014 Sandee Becker rated it it was amazing
Down 12 lbs in 10 weeks with no gym. Been busy working too many hours. Starting to incorporate cardio and training this week and really watch the plan work. This plan is brilliant. I was in the gym industry for many years and did a similar plan years ago that also worked well for me. Kudos to Chris Powell. He genuinely cares about helping people change their lives.
Lillyvette Ostenson
I loved this book. It's a great way to see how your body works and then how to make it work right...for a lifetime!!
Catherine Gillespie
Feb 08, 2015 Catherine Gillespie rated it it was ok
Shelves: nutrition, fitness
Up front I will say that the carb cycling idea is more complicated than simply eating low carb or just watching calories. If you don’t have a lot of background in nutrition and weight loss methods you might find the program daunting. However, if you’ve tried low carb or slow carb or South Beach, you would probably find it pretty easy to pick up.

The program alternates low carb and high(er) carb days, advocates eating every three hours, and focused muscle building and cardio. The carb cycling woul
Crystal
Sep 19, 2013 Crystal rated it it was amazing
amazingly informative. i absolutely love chris powell and heidi.

i love how he shared his story about how he got into all of this. this also starts out like most of the "diet self help" books i've read so far where it kinda talks the first half of the book about what it can do and other people's stories.. & then the other half is the plan and guidelines.

i think this is a brilliant way to go about weightloss and eating habits. i will most definitely give the high/low carb day a chance. if any
Camburger
Dec 08, 2013 Camburger rated it liked it
I like his theory and ideas about metabolism and he has the credentials to back it up. At first, I thought this diet would be easy to follow and that my own eating habits weren't that far off. However, he does get really specific about what you can and can't eat and what exercises you need to do. So I think that it would be really hard to follow unless you are at home planning your meals all day long.
I am going to eat five meals a day, like he recommends, alternating high carb and low carb days
Jessie Wilkens
Jan 05, 2015 Jessie Wilkens rated it liked it
I have to say that I am a big fan of Chris Powell. I have been a fan of his show for some time, but mostly because of him. I love how he treats his clients and his methods sincerely make sense. I also love how humble he seems. I am much more likely to listen to the instruction of someone who doesn't tell me how awesome they are, unlike some celebrity trainers. Aside from the diet, I made my husband try his hangover cure after a night out this weekend and IT WORKED. Seriously, how did I not know ...more
Melissa
Oct 21, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, non-fiction
I actually finished this in about a day or two - since I didn't need to read the many inspirational stories.

This plan is great for anyone struggling to both lose weight AND have a sustainable meal plan. Weight Watchers never really worked for me, so I wanted to try something that was focused on micro-nutrient levels. This plan is EASY, very adjustable to almost any lifestyle, and therefore easy to continue week after week.

In regards to how well the book guides, I would have to say 3 out of 5. I'
Theresa C. C.
May 20, 2016 Theresa C. C. rated it liked it
I have no doubt this program works. The science is sound and long-proven. However, for someone working a job that doesn't have a regular daily/weekly schedule, nor will allow me to eat 5 times a day, nor go to the restroom as often as consuming a gallon of water a day would demand... well, I don't see this program as doable for me, as written.

I will, however, adapt the principles as much as possible in my specific circumstances. I'm absolutely going to be adopting the exercise program, and using
Kristi
Jun 04, 2013 Kristi rated it really liked it
I started watching Extreme Weight Loss Edition and really seemed to connect with Chris because of his caring nature. So I read this book wondering about the eating side of his plan since they do not talk much about this on the show. I will say that I loved the inspirational part of this book and him talking about how to work on your emotions. I also liked how he explained what shedders and shapers were and when to do them. I do think this book did not give enough information on the eating side o ...more
Diana
Jan 05, 2014 Diana rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads-audio
I purchased this book yesterday 1/4/14 and sat down and read the entire thing. I loved the down to earth tone of the book. Felt like I was talking with a friend.
Based on what I read, you can use this program no matter how much you need to loose. Its just a matter of adjusting it based on the principles to suit you.
I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to loose weight. Anyone who wants to understand the physics behind weigh loss in terminology that is targeted to the general public and
Mariamgely Santiago
Feb 17, 2014 Mariamgely Santiago rated it it was ok
The book was so-so. I liked some of his techniques, our inner athlete and all. I think losing weight is lot more than just carb cycling, but that works for some and not for others. I have tried lots of things so I guess I don't get impress easily with this kind of books. I kind of like his show so I decided to read this book. I felt it didn't quite speak to me, with few exceptions where I felt I needed a particular mantra or sentence from the book to get me motivated again. I think it depends wh ...more
Rhonda White
Feb 20, 2013 Rhonda White rated it really liked it
I really liked the book. I started carb cycling before I read the book and it helped explain why carb cycling works. It also helped me realize that the slow down in weight that I experienced was actually normal and I just needed to tweek a week to restart my metabolism. I'm a person that likes to know why I'm doing something and Chris did a great job explaining those reasons. I think I'll be more comfortable with carb cycling after reading this book.
Alex Respess
Dec 07, 2012 Alex Respess rated it it was amazing
This is far and away the best way to lose weight! Being on Extreme Makeover:Weight Loss Edition as a protege of Chris Powell I can honestly say it is the only method that has ever worked for me when losing weight. He breaks everything down for you and tells you why the things he tells you to do work. He knows the science behind the body or "the machine" as he calls it and can get you where you want to be.
Andrea
Oct 03, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I just love Chris Powell so I was so excited to read this book. Chris has a theory of lower calories then a lot of other lifestyle/diet books. He also does carb cycling which works well for me. One day you have higher carbs, then the next day you have lower carb - higher protein meals. I think that I would need to buy this book so I could read it again if I was going to follow the pla. The notes I took are not detailed enough.
Charlotte
Jun 13, 2012 Charlotte rated it really liked it
Good Book, Great Info. Would Love to follow this plan, but I think I would need a personal assistant to keep up with preparing all the meals and when I'm suppose to eat what. I like the exercise tips and will attempt to put them in my daily routine. It defiantly makes you think about food a whole new way.
Angela Smith
Feb 15, 2014 Angela Smith rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. It explains things in a way that is easy to understand and follow. Some of the things I already knew, but he just pulls it all together in a way that makes so much sense. and he has a lot of practical advise and tricks for getting through the rough times. I can't wait to get started.
AdultNonFiction Teton County Library
Mar 05, 2012 AdultNonFiction Teton County Library rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
TCL Call#: 613.2833 Powell C

Madeleine - 4 stars
This was a great fitness and health book. His suggestions are do-able and all based on the person who has no gym membership nor fancy kitchen skills. His explainations about why to eat 5x per day in 3 hour intervals makes sense and doesn't get too technically bogged down.
University of Chicago Magazine
Gretchen Young, AB'84, AM'84
Editor

You’ve seen him change lives on television. Now, in Choose to Lose, Powell presents fast and easy workouts, diet guidance, basic recipes, and insight into finding the true transformation mindset. Following his Carb Cycle Solution, you can drop pounds safely and quickly while learning how to ‘listen to your body’ to optimize your overall health and fitness.
Kristen MacGregor
Mar 12, 2015 Kristen MacGregor rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Chris & Heidi Powell- can't wait to read more of their books. The carb cycling is an interesting concept I'll have to look more into... but his book isn't too helpful for me being vegetarian and his low-carb days are filled with meat options. I don't know if it's even possible to carb cycling as a vegetarian, but maybe I could at least have LOWER carb days?
matt browning
Feb 08, 2014 matt browning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haven't lost a pound:-)

Because I'm weak and won't follow Chris's advice! I can't argue with his results. Maybe I need to gain another 100-200 pounds to be like one of his clients on TV and then I will find the strength to stick to the carb cycle. I'm going to re-read this again, maybe it will motivate my fat butt to lose some belly:-)
Candie Miller
Dec 08, 2012 Candie Miller rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Candie by: amazing Christmas gift from my wonderfully supportive boyfriend
I am so pumped up over this book! I'm already exercising and thus dropping pounds slowly and also building muscle and toning. Now I can add in the carb cycling and kick it into high gear. From what I've seen Chris Powell do with super obese people, I can't wait to see what happens with this fat girl!
Tracie
Jun 12, 2016 Tracie rated it it was amazing
As a major fan of Chris Powell from his TV show, I was excited to read this book. His enthusiasm comes through the page. The plan seems pretty straightforward. I really appreciated the mental exercises that Powell encouraged the audience to go through before starting the cycle. I used them as journal exercises and found it to be helpful. I look forward to the first week of the plan!
Suzanne
Aug 23, 2013 Suzanne rated it liked it
This book makes a lot of sense and is geared toward people who have a lot of weight to lose. However my work schedule would never lend to this style of eating and I don't believe that protein powders and bars are the way to go when you want a whole foods way of eating. I may adapt some of the ideas but found the overall method too complicated for real living. Kudos to anyone that can do it!
Diana
Feb 28, 2012 Diana rated it really liked it
Very informative. My eating program was very similar to the one described in the book. I'm currently following the 7-Day Carb Cycle....only on week one but I must say that on the low-carb days I'm always hungrey and only drinking about 70 oz of water a day instead of the 128 oz's.
Nicole
Dec 27, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: my-2013-books
I watch the television show Extreme Weight Loss (it's so inspiring!) and this book, written by the show's trainer/weight loss coach reveals some of the methods that work so well for the show's participants. There are a lot of good ideas in here. I am excited to give carb-cycling a try!
  • The Biggest Loser 30-Day Jump Start: Lose Weight, Get in Shape, and Start Living the Biggest Loser Lifestyle Today!
  • Everyday Cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish
  • The Drop 10 Diet: Add to Your Plate to Lose the Weight
  • 7 Weeks to 50 Pull-Ups: Strengthen and Sculpt Your Arms, Shoulders, Back, and ABS by Training to Do 50 Consecutive Pull-Ups
  • Making the Cut: The 30-Day Diet and Fitness Plan for the Strongest, Sexiest You
  • The Swing!: Discover the Revolutionary Kettlebell Program That Will Take You from Fat to Fit
  • The Skinny Rules: The Simple, Nonnegotiable Principles for Getting to Thin
  • Chris Powell's Choose More, Lose More for Life
  • The Big Picture: 11 Laws That Will Change Your Life
  • Whitewash: The Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk and Your Health
  • As Good As Gold: 1 Woman, 9 Sports, 10 Countries and a a 2-Year Quest to Make the Summer Olympics
  • The New Atkins for a New You Cookbook: 200 Simple and Delicious Low-Carb Recipes in 30 Minutes or Less
  • 100 Days of Weight Loss: The Secret to Being Successful on Any Diet Plan
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
  • 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food
  • The Blender Girl Smoothies: 100 Gluten-Free, Vegan, and Paleo-Friendly Recipes
  • The Yes Factor: Get What You Want. Say What You Mean.
  • The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook: Great-Tasting Recipes that Keep You Lean!

“GREEK YOGURT AND BANANAS” 1 likes
“If you always do what you’ve always done, then you’ll always get what you’ve always got.” 0 likes