Black Hole Blues

Black Hole Blues

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  13 reviews
J. Claude Caruthers is country music's biggest star and Kenny Rogers' worst nightmare. Now, J. Claude hasn't slept for weeks. His insomnia comes courtesy of his quest to complete Nashville's most ambitious project: Caruthers is writing a love song for every woman's name on Earth. But since getting stuck on the last name in the book, Zygmut, Caruthers' life has been miserab...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Eraserhead Press

Dan Schwent
Those estranged Caruthers boys sure have some problems. J. Claude Caruthers suffers from insomnia, brought about by the inability to finish his project of writing a country song for every woman's name on Earth, while his brother Lloyd inadvertently created a black hole that is threatening to destroy the world. Can J. Claude finish his project before the world ends? And what do his arch-nemeses Kenny Rogers and Denny Dynasty have to do with it?

Who would have thought a black hole and country music...more
Steve Lowe
If I ever get narcissistic enough to create my own awards (and that may not be far off because I like myself a hell of a lot), I would have to give one to Patrick Wensink for Black Hole Blues. I could call them the “Steve Awards for Achievement in Bizarre Literature”. Who wouldn’t want to receive a SAABL? Nobody, that’s who. The award Wensink would win is for ‘Doing Something I've Not Seen Before’. Or maybe a shorter name than that, I don't know yet, but he would win it because Wensink does it.

H...more
Lea
Boy oh boy oh boy oh boy.

I really hate it when I don't like a book. I'm always tempted not to write a review of it, maybe because of that old "if you don't have anything nice to say" adage. Especially when I'm in an extremely tiny minority.

But . . . you can't like everything.

This book just didn't click with me at all. I loved the idea of the book, I loved the unusual collection of narrators, I loved parts of the book . . . I just didn't love it all put together.

I found the writing to be very dis...more
Lori
Read 6/24/11 - 7/3/11
3 Stars - Recommended to readers familiar with genre and author
Pgs: 203

Ever wonder what happened to Kenny Rogers? I have the answer... he has become the arch-enemy of J. Claude Caruthers - country music's biggest star, the man who is one name away from writing a country song for every woman's name on earth.

As Claude struggles with insomnia and the pressure of finding a word that rhymes with "Zygmut", his estranged astrophysicist twin brother Lloyd attempts to recreate the Bi...more
Kate
Dec 01, 2011 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nashville enthusiasts who aren't afraid of the bizarre
Shelves: bizarro
"Every time I step on stage, I still get that Fourth-of-July-in-the-gut feeling I did of my first sold-out show." - J. Claude Caruthers, Nashville's Shakespeare

Did you know the "J" in J. Claude Caruthers doesn't stand for anything? Well you would if you read this book.

I totally enjoyed this Wentastic trip and think it's even more fun when read out loud with goofy voices. I also really enjoyed how Patrick Wensink makes inanimate objects come to life and have interesting observations and opinions...more
Jason Pettus

Because I end up reading so much of it (because of the authors in this subgenre having such strong professional networks over at such lit communities as Goodreads.com), I can attest that there are generally two types of so-called "bizarro" fiction that exists, a style equally known by the terms "gonzo" and...more
Melki
J. Claude (aka Nashville's Shakespeare) is a fast fading country music legend. His rival, Denny Dynasty, is coming on country strong and easily out-selling the former legend. His brother, Lloyd has just unleashed the most destructive power the world has ever known. Is it any wonder the man can't finish a sandwich or get a goodnight's sleep?

Everyone has an opinion in this book, including the tour bus, an uneaten sandwich, an angry proton and Rusty, the overly-sensitive guitar.
Will J. Claude fini...more
Evan Mandery
Patrick Wensink is a joyful, funny writer with a knack for creating memorable characters. In this disptach from the end of the universe (or near end -- no spoilers), readers will encounter a family-minded neutron, an aspirational prosthetic hand, a lonely club sandwich, and many other unforgettable people and things, all united by their hatred for Kenny Rogers.
Ben
Club Sandwiches. Physics. Kenny Rogers. And much, much more.

More - http://bentanzer.blogspot.com/2011/08...
Carlos Lavín
I was going to write this one a review explaining why I didn't care at all about the story and, especially, about its characters, but trying to think about the book made me fall asleep.
Charity
I really wanted to love "Black Hole Blues," but despite the strong ending I found the novel to be quirky to be quirky and ended up becoming bogged down in quirk. There are some really great moments, some fantastic quotes to pull from the test, and a strong premise, but the novel is not as well executed as it needs to be in order to work effectively.
Dustin Reade
A fun, funny read, with a heavy dose of Vonnegut, Tom Robbins, and a bit of Twain actually. I really enjoyed it, and I will definitely be reading Broken Piano for President soon!
Luke Edwards
Luke Edwards marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Nicole Molden
Nicole Molden is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Sigriet Ferrer
Sigriet Ferrer marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Teresa
Teresa added it
May 09, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Andrey Dolganov
Andrey Dolganov marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Loretta
Loretta marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Patty Templeton
Patty Templeton marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Kjell
Kjell marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Pascal Grenier
Pascal Grenier marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Patrick Wensink was born in Deshler, OH in 1979. Since that time he has done a lot of things he is not proud of. But he's also done some pretty interesting stuff. Over the years he has bottled and sold his own line of Wentastic BBQ Sauce, got married in a doughnut shop and even found the time to author a few greeting cards.

The Louisville Courier-Journal called Sex Dungeon for Sale!, "A deliciously...more
More about Patrick Wensink...
Broken Piano for President Sex Dungeon For Sale! Everything Was Great Until It Sucked: One Man's Journey from Fake Ids and BBQ Sauce Sales to Stay-At-Home-Dad and Bestselling Author Broken Piano for President Black Piano for President