Start by marking “Die Job” as Want to Read:
Die Job

Die Job (Southern Beauty Shop #3)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  241 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
After an attempted murder at a supposedly haunted plantation, the ladies of Violetta's beauty salon unravel secrets that link a high school student, a centuries-old crime, and the roots to a very dark mystery.
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published January 2012 by Penguin Group

To ask other readers questions about Die Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Job

Goose
Apr 25, 2012 Goose rated it it was ok
This third book in the Southern Beauty Shop Mystery collection is a major disappointment from pseudonymous Lila Dare. Don't know if Dare dashed this one off to complete her three book contract or if the publishers pushed her in certain directions but the whole book is a bit of a mess. Our usually reliable detective, Grace Terhune, seems to have become one of those women who thinks all men find her attractive be they ex-husbands or imported from California school teachers or everyone in between. ...more
Moondance
St. Elizabeth sits smack dab on the Georgia coast, so when the weather forecasters start talking about a hurricane headed our way, even is it's still way out at sea, conversation at the salon tends to center on the storm.

That first sentence was a doozy! So is this 3rd installment of the Southern Beauty Shop series. A hurricane and Halloween. How much better could it be?

Grace Terhune agrees to chaperone a group of teens (including part time shampoo girl, Rachel) to a local plantation for a little
Ali
Jun 06, 2014 Ali rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Hate triangles. Hate static triangles even more. Love the characters, love the mystery, love the writing, but did I mention I hate triangles (what's in D.C. should stay in D.C.).
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Feb 04, 2012 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it really liked it
Our Beauty Parlor sleuth, Grace Terhune is surprised when Rachel Whitley, her part-time helper asks for Grace's help with being a chaperone for her high school outing.

Grace is even more surprised when she realizes the field-trip is going to be a ghost debunking trip at the local Rothmere Mansion. Long considered, by the youth, of St. Elizabeth's, GA, to be haunted by Cyril Rothmere who died mysteriously at the bottom of the stairs. When is this happening, why Halloween night.

Sadly, a tragedy hit
Tofu Fairy
Sep 02, 2013 Tofu Fairy rated it it was amazing
With this 3rd book in the series, I have no officially read the whole series (started with the 4th book that I won) and really hope there is a 5th book coming (anyone know?). As someone who enjoys supernatural reads, this books subject matter was fun for me while not too far-fetched for even readers who don't like supernatural genres. Again I enjoyed reading the history of the series and getting 100% up to date on all the characters by finishing the current series and was not disappointed in the ...more
Jo (My House of Books)
The third in the Southern Beauty Shop mystery series, Die Job, picks up where the second book, Polished Off, ended. In addition to the mystery Grace Terhune and the women of Violetta's seek to solve, the town of St. Elizabeth is battening down the hatches for the arrival of a hurricane. And as tensions in town rise in anticipation of the hurricane and the murder investigation, this who-done-it isn't exactly what it would appear to be.

I was surprised by the presence of the romantic triangle featu
Amanda
Sep 19, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
There is certainly a lot going on in Grace's life. She is lucky to have so many people who love and care about her.

I wish that Hank would get a clue that he blew it and is never going to get another chance with Grace, in the beginning of the series it was amusing but it is past pathetic now. Maybe if his new partner would make her move he would finally let go of the past.

As much as I like Marty I am glad that he moved to DC, he and Grace are okay together but not great.

Agent Dillon on the other
Sandy Neal
Jul 06, 2014 Sandy Neal rated it liked it
Cute! Light reading but kept my interest!

A mystery in which the sleuth is a hairdresser who works in her mom's salon.
❂ Jennifer
Jan 12, 2012 ❂ Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
In a strange way, this book, with all it's hurricane prep made me homesick. I certainly don't miss hurricanes! But the author did a really good job describing the atmosphere in a town under threat, reminding me of my childhood and adolescence and the connection to the weather that rarely exists when you live in a big city.

I thought the plot was really well done - I never guessed the bad guy and found out when only when the author wanted me to. I have concerns that the author intends to yank the
Susan
Mar 15, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-georga
To help a friend, stylist Grace Terhune agrees to help chaperone a group of high schoolers who are spending some night hours at a supposedly haunted plantation. But there's an accident, and Grace feels guilty that she couldn't keep the victim safe. She simply has to investigate, bringing her back into contact, and conflict, with John Dillon, the handsome Georgia state investigator she's met before. They think they have the perfect plan to trap the murderer, but a looming hurricane can disrupt ev ...more
Mary Z : )
Mar 08, 2013 Mary Z : ) rated it really liked it
I really like Lila Dare's writing style. The setting for this particular book was intriguing. St. Elizabeth is a fictitious town less than 20 miles from my house. When the main character described the narrow windows on the Georgia crime lab, she was absolutely right. The building is right next to my library! Good dose of reality, at least as far as geography and hurricane conditions are concerned. Nice work!
Janet
Feb 17, 2016 Janet rated it really liked it
The southern beauty shop mysteries are just plain fun. The characters are comfortable without being overdone. Our heroine is cute, spunky and reasonable. There are no great cultural or philosophical statements being made. It's just an easy fun read to let your brain relax at the end of a hard day.
Amy
May 20, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
It's been so long since I read the last book is this series (Southern Beauty Shop Mystery) that it took me a while to remember all of the characters and their relationships, etc.

However, the story, itself, was great! Ghosts and murders and teenage angst and more!
Trish
Oct 27, 2013 Trish rated it really liked it
This series seems to get a little bit better. The mystery on this one -- I did NOT figure out, and Kudos to the author for that twist at the end. I like the protagonist, the mystery, etc. Enjoyable, cozy reading but not a compelling page turner.
Linda Wiken
Jul 16, 2012 Linda Wiken rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this book! The characters are engaging and believable. The setting in delightful -- I can just feel that southern humidity and impending storm. Well-crafted crime and solution. I'm sticking with this series!
Valerie
Oct 05, 2014 Valerie rated it really liked it
Good addition to the series. Grace has a knack for figuring things out. Ask a few questions, you may get the answers you're looking for. She actually solved a 100 year old mystery also. I love southern cozies.
Jan 26, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
great story! I have 3 books out from the library, and I started with this cuz I knew it wouldn't disappoint!!
Melodie
Jan 24, 2012 Melodie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Love this series and think this one may be the best one yet! She did a great job with the hurricane stuff.
Kay
Jul 11, 2013 Kay rated it liked it
Beauty salon mystery. Lots of action--high school drama, hurricane, romantic triangle, etc.
Shoshana
Feb 11, 2012 Shoshana rated it did not like it
Kate
May 27, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing
Halloween, a haunted house, a hurricane and a great ending?? Loved this one!
Phyl
Jessica Brodman
Aug 30, 2012 Jessica Brodman rated it liked it
ok
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Sabrina * Loki's Lover *
Sabrina * Loki's Lover * marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
  • All Sales Fatal (A Mall Cop Mystery, #2)
  • A Killer Maize (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #4)
  • Affairs of Steak (A White House Chef Mystery, #5)
  • Murder for Choir (Glee Club, #1)
  • Beef Stolen-Off (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #2)
  • Cake on a Hot Tin Roof (A Piece of Cake Mystery #2)
  • A Fitting End (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #2)
  • 50% Off Murder (Good Buy Girls, #1)
  • Death, Taxes, and Extra-Hold Hairspray (Tara Holloway, #3)
  • A Killer Read (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #1)
  • A Killer in the Rye (A Deadly Deli Mystery #3)
  • Death on a Platter (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #7)
  • Dangerous Alterations (A Southern Sewing Circle, #5)
  • Sour Apples (Orchard, #6)
  • Foul Play at the Fair (Celebration Bay, #1)
  • A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3)
  • The Last Word (A Books by the Bay Mystery #3)
Author of the Southern Beauty Shop mysteries, Lila Dare was born in Georgia and has lived in Alabama, Mississippi, and Virginia. Although she has never worked in a beauty shop, she frequents salons and likes to tell her stylist: “Surprise me.” Maybe that’s why she looks nervous in her photo. She currently lives west of the Mississippi with her husband, two daughters and dog, and misses Southern co ...more
More about Lila Dare...

Southern Beauty Shop (4 books)
  • Tressed to Kill
  • Polished Off (Southern Beauty Shop, #2)
  • Wave Good-bye