Start by marking “Quarter Square (Wild Times, #1)” as Want to Read:
Quarter Square (Wild Times, #1)

Quarter Square (Wild Times #1)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  28 reviews
English carpenter Joe Walker thinks his life is over when he discovers his wife and best friend having an affair. Restoring an abandoned theatre offers little hope for a fresh start...until he follows a group of strangers through a hidden door into a world he never could have imagined.

In the haven known as Quarter Square, Joe encounters a community of supernatural street p

Kindle Edition
Published June 27th 2011 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Quarter Square, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quarter Square

Elspeth
This was a fun book, made me think of Charles De Lint a little bit, though not as poetic. Oh, and more sex.
:p
Stella
Among the novels I usually read male authors are a rarity. So the single fact that Quarter Square was written by a man was reason enough to pique my curiosity and make me want to read this novel.

In the first part of the novel Joe (our protagonist) discovers a magic parallel universe which is accessible through the magic door in the century old theatre he’s renovating and sleeping in. Through that hole in the wall one enters a Renaissance-fair-like magic version of Plymouth where dwarves dance an
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
After Joe finds his wife having an affair with his best friend, he runs away and starts restoring an old theatre to help cope. He is quickly pulled into the Quarter Square, a haven for supernatural street performers located between this world and The Wild, a place where magic rules. Joe finds himself strangely at home there, and when Quarter Square is threatened by an ancient enemy, Joe makes a stand to help save his new friends.

This story has a bit of everything paranormal thrown into a strange
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
**Giveaway**

TBR Reviewer: Nat

The plot is good, but it wasn't an engaging read.

The book starts when Joe, the protagonist, finds out that his wife is cheating on him with his best friend. He throws everything away and decides to restore an old, abandoned theater. There, he encounters a community of magical dance performers and feels like he finally found a place he belongs.

The story itself wasn't strong enough to keep me reading. I wasn't "immersed" into their world. The narrative is too passive a
Marlene
The Lonely book club
For full review please visit: http://www.thelonelybookclub.com/revi...

In the opening of this novel it’s easy to sympathize with Joe, the protagonist. He walks in on his wife and his best friend in bed together in full action. Then he leaves the hotel they all three are staying at to stay in the newly bought building he’s bought with that friend. After this point I find it hard to connect with the protagonist.
Joe discovers a secret door into a haven, kind of like in Narnia. Another thing that’s d
Tiffiane
This book is hard to review. I expected it to be considerably different than it was. For some sections of the book, it was a solid 5 star read. Other sections, only 2 stars. I think this book is one of those "hit or miss" types for many people. For me, it ended up as just an OK book overall.

I found the storyline at the beginning very intriguing and it pulled me in right away with Joe's discovery and pain over his wife's betrayal. Then suddenly, the entire story shifts into something so completel
Book Utopia
Erin Zarro
Quarter Square, a hauntingly beautiful story by David Bridger, released on 6/27/11 from Carina Press.

I was able to read the first 3 chapters some time ago, and the story hasn’t left me alone since. I’ve been waiting patiently for it to be published, and now it has been, and I’m so happy for David. He’s a friend of mine from Forward Motion, an online writing community, and I think he’s a wonderful writer. Quarter Square does not disappoint.

We meet our protagonist, Joe, as he learns that his wife
Emme
Let me start off by saying that, overall, I liked Quarter Square. It took a bit for me to get into this one, but once the protagonist, Joe, moved on from his discovery of his wife's infidelity, the story picked up. The worldbuilding, from that point on definitely piqued my interest-- though the Wild was far more appealing to me than the Square (outside of the theatre).

I liked experiencing the story from Joe's POV. However, the story's "heroine," Min, did not work for me. Her treatment of Joe, as
Chelsea [Vampire Book Club]
This review was originally published on Vampire Book Club.

David Bridger has crafted something refreshingly different with Quarter Square with great doses of escapism, fear of being hunted and a heaping of ‘otherness.’

Our protagonist Joe has just suffered the ultimate shock — his wife in bed with his best friend — and in his pain ends up ditching them, his house, his former life to refinish an old theater. Sounds classic off-the-deep end, right? But Joe isn’t really all that broken up over it. So
Home. Love. Books.
To see this review and more like it please check out my website www.ufreviews.com

One of the things I like about urban fantasy is how an author decides to make the world: do they decide to hide magic/paranormal or do they put it right out there? If they hide the magical world, do paranormals/supernaturals live in everyday world, or is there a "Harry Potter" like setting, where you can step into a world from the normal world into one of magic and wonder. This is a hiding version is something I fi
Tracy
Imaginative Debut
Recently cuckolded by his wife and his best friend, Joe Walker isn't having the best time of his life. A carpenter by both trade and desire, Joe takes on a rundown theatre with little more than determination and a need to build, but with the startling arrival of a small group of street performers and the opening of a magical door, the direction of Joe's life is set to take a sharp turn to the wild side.

Stepping through the door introduces him to a quaint group of people who call
Claire
Quarter Square is going to be a difficult book to review. Not because I’m ambivalent or want to temper my response, but because of the beautiful way this book is crafted. Anything I comment on specifically will only spoil the tale for the reader. It is seriously one of those books, the first twist comes in the first chapter and I really don’t want to give anything away. It’s a slippery slope to stand on in terms of reviewing.

I actually can’t believe how short the book was in relation to how much
Kara-karina
3.25/5
I'm really on the fence about this book.

On one side the setting and the premise are unusual enough, and Joe who went from being a chartered surveyor to a carpenter following his dream had all my sympathy all along. I love people with that sort of courage.

Joe is a regular guy who when given a chance to be introduced to the world of the supernatural, behaves like a child with wonder in his eyes. He wants to know and learn everything, he embraces and enjoys his new lifestyle and he cares abou
Future Slayer Girl (aka: kitten)
I received a copy of this from Netgalley.com for early review.

I have to be honest; I picked this book for the sole purpose that it was written by a man. I have found lately that the way men write just gets into my skin and by the end I’m just smiling. They are blunt, they don’t beat around the bush, and the romance is not ‘fluffy’ it is a lot more real than most Urban Fantasy/Paranormal books you read. The happy, isn’t a happily, it is satisfying enough to make you go “Hm, well now, that was bri
Cleffairy
Reviewed at: Over A Cuppa Tea
Reviewed date: 12 June 2011
Review link: http://cleffairy.com/?p=5501
‘Quarter Square’ by David Bridger is a very intense and thrilling read. It starts off very emotional, making me sympathize with the main character for the injustice that he’s suffering, but as the story moves along, it gets much more interesting and instead of pity, I enjoyed how the characters and the environment developed.

If you’re not into paranormal stories, then you might find this story a tad s
Elizabeth B
This book feels incomplete to me. It starts off so amazingly strong and the author has a wonderful turn of phrase built into his writing style that helps make the characters come alive. It’s a bit quirky, a bit humorous but always evoking some type of emotional response. That said, I had difficulty with the urban fantasy portion of the novel. It seemed much too rushed and the main character was too easily accepting of the events. I would have liked to have seen the confusion, a stronger introduc ...more
Kerry  sullivan
This is a strange little story. It is fast paced and almost too busy. Everything happens at breakneck speed. The descriptive quality is low on the grown but it is oddly compelling and works. The novella feel like a full length book condensed into a short one. Joe is the most accepting man in the universe but if the book was longer there could have been more charter development rather then the jumps in paradigm shift that happens in this. I have to say though at the end Joe grew a back bone and t ...more
Syl
I just couldn't get into this one and didn't actually manage to finish it. I liked alot of the concepts behind the story. Magic parallel worlds made up of little neighborhoods accessed through anceint theaters? Cool. Street performers and music and magic? Neat. And a bit of romance. Also good. However, the writing style? Not so good. It felt choppy and disjointed and actually made me a bit bored. This surprises me, because all the other Carina Press books that I've read have had pretty good if n ...more
Gary Bonn
David Bridger has a solid reputation, so it was with eager anticipation that I started Quarter Square. The beginning sucked me in with a clever unique idea. With so many books merely rehashing old ideas, the unique hooks me every time.
Like just about every reader, I can't help predicting how things will turn out, but I had give in and go with the flow, Bridger pulled the rug from under my feet every time.
Visually rich and exotic, I wandered through his new world and basked in the atmosphere and
Bethany
If you enjoy a non-traditional hero, an action-heavy plot, an eclectic array of magical creatures, and a story where you’re NOT spoonfed the entire universe (and must utilize your own imagination) then I’d recommend you read Quarter Square. Sure, there were times it left me wanting, but for the first time in a long time, I was wanting MORE instead of wanting to take a pair of scissors to the text. It was refreshing, and it was fun.

Full review on Dark Side of the Covers blog
Marguerite
I would've liked it to have been longer and the development a little slower. That being said, I can't wait for the second one. I love the way David makes you visualize what's happening. He has a way of constantly surprising you. Every time I thought I had the next bit figured out, I turned out to be wrong. And I love the main character Joe. He's just like the oak he works with, strong and steady in the midst of the chaos that has consumed his life. He's a man who keeps his promises. It'll be int ...more
Catherine Cavendish
This is the third book I have read by David Bridger and each one has been different, well written and thoroughly enjoyable. To say 'Quarter Square' is a tale about werewolves is to tell only part of the story. This is an adventure that takes some surprising twists and turns and the ending is crying out for a sequel. Highly recommended and I look forward to the next book by this author.
Nicole Luiken
Strong opening scene really hooked me in and made me care about Joe. An interesting setting, featuring Plymouth (UK), Quarter Square itself a kind of gateway and The Wild. I liked Joe's 'wood' magic and am hoping we find out a bit more about Min's music magic in future books. The plot was quite original, but defintiely meant to be the first in the series.
Shona
3.5 Stars
This took me a while to get into, but I’m glad I stuck with it. There’s a lot going on in the story and a very clever parallel world.
Sandra
Aug 18, 2011 Sandra marked it as to-read
$3.19 on Nook
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David Bridger and his family settled with their two monstrous hounds in England's West Country after twenty years of ocean-based mischief, during which he worked as a lifeguard, a sailor, an intelligence gatherer and an investigator in the Royal Navy. He writes science fiction and fantasy for teens and adults.
More about David Bridger...
Beauty and the Bastard The Weaverfields Heir A Flight of Thieves Golden Triangle Damage Control (Juliets Trilogy, #1)