Start by marking “The Big Alfie and Annie Rose Storybook” as Want to Read:
The Big Alfie and Annie Rose Storybook

The Big Alfie and Annie Rose Storybook

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Presents experiences of nursery school student Alfie and his younger sister Annie Rose.
Published April 1st 1989 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Alfie and Annie Rose Storybook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Alfie and Annie Rose Storybook

Kristine Pratt
If you've seen the Alfie and Annie Rose books before, you'll recognize some of the illustrations in this collection - which I loved because it felt like I was getting the story behind the pictures that are only hinted at in the counting book for example. I like this group, in part because it's a nice look at how children grow up in Great Britain - which really isn't all that different (except for the language used sometimes) than life in the United States. A nice collection of fell-good stories.
Rachel
A favorite in our house.
No magic, no imaginary friend, no gross habits or vocabulary, Alfie is a normal little boy. Shirley Hughes' books are wonderful because they show a family living day to day with each other. The words are well chosen and beautifully descriptive. The pictures are gorgeous!

Realistic Fiction for children of this age is hard to find, but every book in this series (that I have come across) is like a breath of fresh air.
I can read a new Alfie book to my girls without worrying
Jay Aitch
What a surprise to see this book here! The stories are wonderful to read with little ones and as the Mum of a 17 yr old and a 19 yr old I felt a wave of nostalgia, very happy memories of their pre-school years. The stories are easy for little ones to relate to and the illustrations complement the stories beautifully.
Idiosyncratic
One of our favourite books when my daughter was little - in fact, I enjoyed reading all of Shirley Hughes's books to her, again and again and again. They recreate a wonderful, simple, reassuring world, which is just what a very young child needs and loves.
Melissa
Paul and I read these books several years ago, and I just reread them with Lila. These are rare gems of children's books, and I love them all.
Bree
Notes:
a great depiction of ordinary life for children
illustrated beautifully
both my kids enjoy this
Christine
Shirley Hughes is one the classics when it comes to children's books! Start reading some today.
Anne
especially love the story about Annie Rose learning to say Bernard's name
Elizabeth
My oldest would want me to read this straight through, he really enjoyed Alfie.
Emma
An amazing book of stories for children.
Katie
One of my favourite books when I was little
Tommyb
Fiction,Children's fiction
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Tobi
Tobi marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Anya
Anya added it
Aug 27, 2014
Bethanyceinwen
Bethanyceinwen marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Charleen
Charleen marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Susan Powell
Susan Powell marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Shirley Hughes is the illustrator of more than two hundred children’s books and has won many prestigious awards, including the Kate Greenaway Medal twice. She is the author-illustrator of DON'T WANT TO GO! and OLLY AND ME 1 2 3. She lives in London.
More about Shirley Hughes...
Dogger Alfie Gets in First Hero on a Bicycle Ella's Big Chance: A Jazz-Age Cinderella Alfie Gives a Hand