Start by marking “To the Vanishing Point” as Want to Read:
To the Vanishing Point

To the Vanishing Point

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  540 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The Sonderberg family doesn't know it yet, but this isn't going to be any ordinary road trip. A quiet drive down Interstate 40 becomes a trip into an alternate reality when they pick up an unassuming hitchhiker. It turns out the family has just given a ride to an alien who has the fate of the universe resting on her shoulders. Now the Sonderberg family must fight evil alon ...more
Published December 19th 1999 by Wildside Press (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about To the Vanishing Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To the Vanishing Point

Mary JL
Mar 31, 2012 Mary JL rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To any SF or Fantasy fan over 18
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of this author
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
This is one of Foster's better books. The Sonderberg family is driving to Las Vegas in a rented motor home, rather than flying. Frank thought it might be an educational drive for his two children. It certainly turned out to be that....

Frank picks up a beautiful but enigmatic woman, hitchhiking in the the desert.
She gives her name as "Mohostosocia" but adds, "Call me Mouse". (Good, I could not type that real name each time!) Mouse reviews that she is a special singer and her task is to soothe the
J. Aleksandr Wootton
A reader's experience can benefit greatly from a book that makes modest promises and exceeds them. I much prefer this approach to the one taken by most bestsellers, particularly almost everything that can be found, say, on the shelf of an airport bookstore for 150% of normal retail.

To the Vanishing Point purports to be a relatively straightforward, ordinary-middle-class-family-vacation-gone-to-hell horror a la Stephen King with a little fantasy mixed in, something to do with a hitchhiking otherw
Benjamin D.
What do you get when you cross a bad pun with deus ex machina? The ending of this book.

If this isn't the worst book I've ever read, it's at least among the top five. No character development, a vague and nondescript threat that's never defined or explained, the characters don't really have anything to DO or any actions to take other than drive around and be confused. Plus, a stereotypical magic Indian. I was enthralled by this book's awfulness to the point that I'm keeping it in case I need to t
Oct 24, 2014 Tina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like fun sci-fi horror dark comedy
This book is a lot of fun. Given the photo on the cover, I just knew it was going to be a cheesy sci-fi... but it’s actually far better than that. As I started reading it, something was familiar about it and I realized the author was the same one who wrote the novelization of Alien, which if you read my review of, actually provides an interesting perspective to the iconic horror sci-fi. And as I kept reading To the Vanishing Point, I simply had a blast. If there was a prize awarded to a novel th ...more
Abraham Thunderwolf
This book starts off innocently enough: The Sonderberg family is driving an rv to their Las Vegas for their yearly vacation, en route they offer a young lady a ride. Shortly after that their trip goes to Hell. Ha ha. There's a lot of traveling between facinating, grotesque, and imaginative realities on the way. Seriously though, I was like, oh well their driving, driving, holy shit this is freaking me out. This book reminds me of the same technicolor madness of a band like White Zombie with its ...more
Nandakishore Varma
I love road stories. The concept of a journey symbolising a person's passage through life is as old as the hills (The Pilgrim's Progress is a good example). Here, Alan Dean Foster gives us a refreshing new take on the theme, about a family's vacation trip to Vegas which becomes wackier and wackier as reality slowly unravels about them. It's weird and very readable.
A family departs LA in a rented RV on a vacation to Las Vegas. After they pick up a strange passenger in the desert, strange occurrences start happening. The threads of reality have become intertwined and it's up to the brave 4 family members and 3 other passengers to set things back to normal. Along the way, the family encounters devils, demons, ET's and a host of other creatures all delaying their journey to the Vanishing Point - the location they must reach to reset the strands of reality.

I e
Mark Palmer
Another original that I was disappointed in. Original idea, but not carried out very well.
Tom Brennan
While I have heard of Alan Dean Foster before, I knew nothing of this book when I saw it in a Kindle sale. That said, I enjoyed it for the ordinary people try to save the world story that it was. Throughout the book it seemed like it could be made directly into a movie, though given the author's long history with writing Star Trek and other shows that perhaps is not surprising. A good light read, I will be looking forward to trying out more of Foster's work.
Mary Frances
I love the bargain finds I discover now that I am reading e-books. This one was a gem- a fantasy by an author I have never really loved, but I really liked the book. A story of alternate realities and encroaching chaos, it has engaging characters and is a fun read.
Really enjoyed this biok. . . I'm a sucker for stories of ordinary people pulled into extraordinary events . this about a family traveling to Vegas for vacation. along the way they pick up a hitchhiker who transforms their trip to Vegas into a trip to hell (among other places). . . This was a fun book. . . I enjoyed the series of locations the family visited and situations they found themselves in. the characters were developed in such a way that u could feel the teen angst of the daughter. . . ...more
Alan Dean Foster describes things (situations, life forms, etc) so well, so vividly for me, and this has got to be one of his trippiest stories ever. I thoroughly enjoyed this one!
Crazy, crazy, crazy. Set in the 1980's, dated but in the most fun way, enjoyable and ridiculous.
John Sever
Fun. Cheesy. ADF did ok for once.
1989 grade C+
I cam into this book thinking I really wasn't going to like it, even though the plot sounded interesting. However, I found myself glued to the book and I the book was hard to put down. There were parts that kind of scared me, parts that made me laugh, and there was a time I was so into the book I actually thought I was there. Which obviously, only happens when I really like a book. This was a very strange but definitely readable book. I think I want to read more from this author.
kind of weird. i don't even know how to really explain it...
the sonderbergs are going on vacation to vegas when they see someone walking alongside the highway in the middle of the nevada desert. they pick up the hitchhiker and soon everything goes weird. they drive right into hell, onto another planet, through destroyed salt lake city and under the pacific ocean. pretty strange. interesting, but strange.
Weird but fun book
Mitch Allan
Good fun; very odd but definitely entertaining with a great cast of characters. Some parts felt a little rushed over, but all in all a good adventure and some wonderful settings. The horror parts were suitably nasty and uncomfortable. Recommend to anyone who reads in this genre.
A fun and wild book that has a Twilight Zone-like feel. It does go on too long and the ending gets a bit too out there, but it's a pretty original story with some fun characters and witty dialogue.
Barbara Dycus
I read this back in Jr. High - having no idea who ADF. If I had know then what I know now, I think my whole library would be full by now of nothing but Foster. He's such an amazing writer.
Arya Wiese
Apr 01, 2012 Arya Wiese rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Arya by: My Mom
This is a good read and one I have read over and over again. Even though I know how it goes I still sit on the edge of my seat while reading this. It's such a great read...
I loved this when I read it in high school--it's literally the vacation from hell. I hope it's still as funny this time around.
Davion Hellstrom
first novel I ever chose to read on my own, still one of the most creative and fun books I have ever read.
Oscar Reyes
No too bad, somewhat fun but rather bland and predictable. Very light reading.

Good for those with a high tolerance for weird. :)
A well-crafted sci-fi yarn. Not bad at all. =)
I read this along time ago, great book.
Goes through southern Utah! Funny!
  • Black Star Rising
  • Purgatory (Galactic Comedy #2)
  • Players at the Game of People
  • Motherlines (Holdfast Chronicles, #2)
  • Days of Atonement
  • Myth-Told Tales (Myth Adventures, #13)
  • Voyage from Yesteryear
  • The Actuator: Fractured Earth (The Actuator, #1)
  • Unicorn Mountain
  • Elfquest: Journey to Sorrows End
  • Sideshow (Arbai, #3)
  • Dream Dancer (Kerrion Empire, #1)
  • The Beyond
  • The Empire of Fear
  • Unbridled (Centaur Chronicles, #1)
  • Galactic Empires 2
  • Gossamer Axe
  • The Litany of Earth
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

“Freedom is just chaos with better lighting” 33 likes